365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Adminisrative Error in Chicago (that is short for "I'm a dumbass")

+9
RobA
fostever
Chris Coleman
ounce
amyjoann
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
mountandog
13 posters

Go down

An Adminisrative Error in Chicago (that is short for "I'm a dumbass") Empty An Adminisrative Error in Chicago (that is short for "I'm a dumbass")

Post  mountandog Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:31 am

You ever try and coordinate a family of 8 with 6 runners for a marathon??  Ugh.  It was a blast, pretty well organized, but I missed one important detail that really cost me.

First off, seven of us hit the road from Detroit to Chicago Saturday morning and made the trip without incident.  We hooked up with Chelsea who flew in from Atlanta the night before.  I also had a niece, her boyfriend and a good friend of my son running.  Made quick dash to the expo to get our stuff and then back to the hotel.  A quick dash save $$ as there was no time to buy souvenirs – lol.  We had a dinner for 18 at Maggiano’s early on Saturday and were all done by 6pm.  We handed off my two youngest to my brother and sister in-law who live 10 minutes away and volunteered to watch them while we all ran.

We all walked to Grant Park with plenty of time to spare.  As we were in several different corrals, we went our separate ways when it came time for gear check.  I ended up with Trevor and his buddy Chase as we all were in the A corral.  We decided for a last minute potty stop before going to the corral and the line was pretty long.  This was Chase’s first marathon and he kept saying we need to be there by 7:20 and I said, nah, 7:25 is good enough.  Let’s stay in line at the porta johns.  No one ever told me, and I missed the detail, that they closed the corral door to A,B&C at 7:20.  So we jog over to get in at 7:22 and they wouldn’t let us in.  I couldn’t believe it.  They sent us to Corral E – at the back behind 20,000 runners.  You’ve got to be kidding me.  Somewhere in all this planning, I missed that very important detail and no one in my entire family read the registration book and relied 100% on me to get them all where they needed to be.  Talk about being dependent.  Anyway – Trevor, Chase and I begrudging went to E and worked our way up to the back of D with the 4:00 pace group.  Great!!

Needless to say the first 8 miles were a mess.  All three of us had 3:05 or better goals, and we knew we might be in trouble due to the crowd.  Slow down, speed up, move left, move right, get in the outside lane around a curve to pass 50 people, etc.  I was able to maintain a sub-7:00 pace after mile 2 or so, but it took a lot of work and energy.  I never really got into a steady pace until about mile 8, but by then I’d lost Trevor and Chase.

I wasn’t sure what I’d really be able to run after the time off to heal my hamstring in August but, I had a pace band on that had 2:59:59 as the target, but feeling that was really aggressive and I kept closing the gap a few seconds at a time, but it required sub 2:50s the whole way.  My Garmin kept showing 2:43s but I had to run extra distance all the time to pass people, so I knew I was going too fast too early.  I was hoping the 7:40 first mile and 7:00 second mile would save me energy wise.  Around the half (1:30:30) I was within 19 seconds of the pace band, but I couldn’t get any closer than that.  I was able to maintain the gap within 25 seconds, but when I turned that corner for the last 3 miles and was going into a headwind that I thought was going to be a tailwind, I knew I was toast.  Although I wanted to get to 6:40s to break 3:00 I just couldn’t do it.  I gave away too much earlier.

In the end, I finished at 3:30:36 which is my 2nd best ever,  (5th AG) but I really had a sub 2:58 in me, just didn’t know it pre-race.  I may never have gotten there even starting in “A” as I probably would have been conservative not knowing my condition state.  I ended up running 26.6 > easily another 90 seconds on distance alone.  Oh well, lesson learned.  READ THE DETAILS!!!!  At least I know I’m in far better shape than I thought.  On to JFK and focus on 2015 Boston.

EPILOG:

My wife finished in 6:32.  First and last marathon I think.  Never had the desire to begin with, but was talked into it by my kids.  Hey, she got a medal and made it to the end unscathed.  I was pretty impressed, especially considering her training consisted of one long walk/jog every weekend and the occasional additional walk/jog.

Trevor finished in 3:35.  His calf gave way around 21 miles and he had to walk 4 miles before he could get going again.  Chase finished in 3:03:44.  Pretty good fighting through all those people.  I hope that gets him into Bos 2015 or I’ll feel real bad about not getting him to the starting line on time.

Madeline finished her first in 4:30 that included a pretty slow last 4 miles as her three time reconstructed ACL was starting to give her problems and she didn’t want to risk injury.  I thought it was a pretty good effort.

Gaby finished her second in 6:17, the same as Grand Rapids last year, again vowing to never do another one.

Chelsea is now the leader in the family clubhouse carding a 2:53:55.  5th AG.  That’s 15 minutes below her time from one year ago.  She set PRs at the 10k and HM in the race and realized she went out too fast.  1:25plus for the half.  She’s thrilled at the result and learned some things in the process too.  A long 13 minutes to improve over the next couple of years.  We’ll see.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

An Adminisrative Error in Chicago (that is short for "I'm a dumbass") Empty Re: An Adminisrative Error in Chicago (that is short for "I'm a dumbass")

Post  Jerry Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 am

Michael,

Don't you have a typo on your race time, 3:00:36 instead 3:30:36?

It sucks. I've been there missing sub 3 by 10 seconds. To make thing worse, a guy pacing his friend for sub 3 past me with a mile to go and asked me to stick to them. I just couldn't.

But a serious runner would've read the race instruction word by word. Just saying.

See you in Boston!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

An Adminisrative Error in Chicago (that is short for "I'm a dumbass") Empty Re: An Adminisrative Error in Chicago (that is short for "I'm a dumbass")

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 am

That you managed any of those logistics is fantastic in my book!  Congrats to you, the family, and especially to Chelsea as she has made incredible strides in the last year.  I remember those days but never got close enough to the Trials qualifier, but I think she will.

Excellent on the 3:00:36 - you sure do have that 2:59 in your sites especially after all the bobbing and weaving.  It is hard when you have to expend so much energy at the beginning even in a chip timed race in order to get on pace.  

Congrats again to you all and see you at JFK and Boston.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 am

That 3:00:36 probably felt like 3:30:36, but it was far from that. Given the circumstances (and a mistake I'm sure you'll never make again), it's a fantastic result - and to hit 5th in your age group -- at Chicago? That's astoundingly good. And know you're in a great place for JFK.

Besides, the mere fact that you got all your family to the starting -- and finish -- line without going bananas probably earns you the lifetime achievement award. Congrats!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Great job on getting everyone there and finished! Chicago is too crowded for me I'm not a fan .Tell your wife great job! I have a Madeline too she is 21 how old is yours?
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:17 pm

amyjoann wrote:Great job on getting everyone there and finished! Chicago is too crowded for me I'm not a fan .Tell your wife great job! I have a Madeline too she is 21 how old is yours?
21 also.   7-13-92
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Jerry wrote:Michael,

Don't you have a typo on your race time, 3:00:36 instead 3:30:36?

It sucks. I've been there missing sub 3 by 10 seconds. To make thing worse, a guy pacing his friend for sub 3 past me with a mile to go and asked me to stick to them. I just couldn't.

But a serious runner would've read the race instruction word by word. Just saying.

See you in Boston!
yup a typo.  I wrote the summary on the plane last night from Torino to Frankfurt.  I'm tired.   Not surprised I missed something.  Went right from Chicago, drove home Monday and flew to Italy Monday night, home tonight. guess I'm not a real runner Jerry.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:That you managed any of those logistics is fantastic in my book!  Congrats to you, the family, and especially to Chelsea as she has made incredible strides in the last year.  I remember those days but never got close enough to the Trials qualifier, but I think she will.

Excellent on the 3:00:36 - you sure do have that 2:59 in your sites especially after all the bobbing and weaving.  It is hard when you have to expend so much energy at the beginning even in a chip timed race in order to get on pace.  

Congrats again to you all and see you at JFK and Boston.
We'll see about Chelsea.  13 minutes is a lot.  I think she'll target sub-2:50 for Boston.  Believe it or not, I wasn't disappointed with my time or effort, I already have that 2:58 in the bank. 
Sunday's good run was kinda unexpected.  So I'm ok with it.  I just know it could have been better.  Gonna go big, assuming no injuries for Bos maybe something like 2:55.  We shall see.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Nice going with yourself and the tribe.  Jerry has a lock on being lazy on the boards.  The rest of us are just posers.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:30 pm

ounce wrote:Nice going with yourself and the tribe.  Jerry has a lock on being lazy on the boards.  The rest of us are just posers.
just saw your movie today on the way home from Europe.  You were impressive!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 am

This is even more impressive than the story that came out 5 km by 5 km during the race. I'm quite sure that starting in Corral E would have cost you all the time you needed to get 2:58. By any account (and your account was superb), with so many people to pass, it was a great time - quite something to have two 5th AG in the same family in the same race.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:28 pm

And I thought  I'd caught up with you when you really had a  race clock differential. Glad to converse in the chute after and congrats to you and all the family/friends.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:02 pm

fostever wrote:And I thought  I'd caught up with you when you really had a  race clock differential. Glad to converse in the chute after and congrats to you and all the family/friends.
Good to see u too.  was actually recognized me on the course
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Mountandog, that sucks, but as Chris said I'm sure that without that late Corral start and the subsequent congestion early on you would have been way faster. Good job anyway !!!
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:58 am

What an absolute blessing to have the whole family doing that together!  I'm so proud of Chelsea - she has come such a long way and WOW, what a runner the both of you have become!  Actually, the whole family.  For not really wanting to do it, that is a huge hats off to your wife for getting through a marathon:cheers: .  Bummer about the corrals, but that could of happened to anyone and no doubt you haven't even hit your best stride yet - I know you haven't been competitively running for that long so you definitely have something going!  I know you have busted your butt in training, so you deserve it - great job buddy!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:49 am

That was a slight oversight but you still had a great race and I'm sure you could have run 2:58 or better with a proper start.  Congrats to your entire family, that must be a ball getting everyone together for such and event.  Recover well and we'll see you at JFK.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:53 pm

Nice job on the race!
It's like money in your bank account, the sub 2:58.  It's there inside, but you choose not to take it out at that particular encounter.  When the time is right, you'll withdraw the money / withdraw your PR Smile
Very cool that you have a big family of people who can / do run marathons!  

That is a bummer about the starting corral mishap, but the good thing is you'll probably never make THAT mistake again! In June, I showed up 30 minutes too late for a race and missed it--will always triple check on the time from now on.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:33 am

Despite the logistical mistake that's a really good time thrown down. You know its in you now and next time you'll nail it. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down