365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tighter Security for Chicago

+11
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
JohnP
Julie
Penelope
Schuey
Jerry
Dave-O
Admin
Nick Morris
Mrs. Schuey
15 posters

Go down

Tighter Security for Chicago Empty Tighter Security for Chicago

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:03 am

You won't be able to pick up a race packet for someone anymore

http://www.nbcchicago.com/video/#!/news/sports/Marathon-Director-Details-New-Security-Measures/221681871
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Tighter Security for Chicago Empty Re: Tighter Security for Chicago

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:You won't be able to pick up a race packet for someone anymore

http://www.nbcchicago.com/video/#!/news/sports/Marathon-Director-Details-New-Security-Measures/221681871

I read that...It makes sense after last year's Boston, but is also sad at the same time.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 am

I'm worried that stuff like this is going to suck the fun out of the big races. Getting to the start in Chicago was hard enough. The extra security measures just make it less appealing to me, though I completely understand why they're necessary.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Even worse, I heard the Oakbrook Half Marathon isn't allowing ANY gear check at all.  Runners are being told to leave everything in their car. 

Huh?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Wonder how Boston's policy will be? If the gear bag is too small, I may have to suck it up for the down town price. I can't handle the cold. Hmmm.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Jerry wrote:Wonder how Boston's policy will be? If the gear bag is too small, I may have to suck it up for the down town price. I can't handle the cold. Hmmm.
I have a feeling that security is going to be extremely tight at Boston.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Well I have a funny feeling that this year will be the last time I run Chicago and Boston. And any other big marathon or even road races. Time to start hitting more of the trail races and Ultra scene. To some degree this will and will not be a tough choice for me. I may or may not continue to run Chicago and Boston but not sure if paying the entry fee which now I'm curious because of the "New Security" that those fees will go up and then dealing with all the hassle. Running is suppose to be hassle free.

Example I just signed up for the North Country 50 miler and Lisa the 1/2 total cost 160.00 for 63.1 miles and all that on very beautiful and tough trail. Now Chicago/Boston cost what 140/150 bucks????? 

It will be interesting to see the future of road racing and if the mass crowds will keep coming out. Again I may be one that might be dropping for the ranks.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Schuey wrote:Well I have a funny feeling that this year will be the last time I run Chicago and Boston. And any other big marathon or even road races. Time to start hitting more of the trail races and Ultra scene. To some degree this will and will not be a tough choice for me. I may or may not continue to run Chicago and Boston but not sure if paying the entry fee which now I'm curious because of the "New Security" that those fees will go up and then dealing with all the hassle. Running is suppose to be hassle free.

Example I just signed up for the North Country 50 miler and Lisa the 1/2 total cost 160.00 for 63.1 miles and all that on very beautiful and tough trail. Now Chicago/Boston cost what 140/150 bucks????? 

It will be interesting to see the future of road racing and if the mass crowds will keep coming out. Again I may be one that might be dropping for the ranks.

Yes, it's easy for you to say after you run like over 10 times two events combined?affraid 

I have only run Boston once, but Chicago? Burn me once, burn me twice, I am really affraid
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:Well I have a funny feeling that this year will be the last time I run Chicago and Boston. And any other big marathon or even road races. Time to start hitting more of the trail races and Ultra scene. To some degree this will and will not be a tough choice for me. I may or may not continue to run Chicago and Boston but not sure if paying the entry fee which now I'm curious because of the "New Security" that those fees will go up and then dealing with all the hassle. Running is suppose to be hassle free.

Yes, it's easy for you to say after you run like over 10 times two events combined?affraid 

I have only run Boston once, but Chicago? Burn me once, burn me twice, I am really affraid

It's tough one for Jerry my goal was to run 25 Boston's in a row and then see how many I can continue to run after that. So it may be very hard for me to walk away from doing Boston. Chicago on the other hand will all depend on how long we continue to live in Chicago?? Yep never know might be living where they are mountains in the coming years. If that is the case it will be real easy to walk away Chicago.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:54 am

Mr MattM wrote:I'm worried that stuff like this is going to suck the fun out of the big races.  Getting to the start in Chicago was hard enough.  The extra security measures just make it less appealing to me, though I completely understand why they're necessary.
Agree--necessary, sad, and adds a somber aura to what should be a fun event.  Not sure how well the extra security will prevent anyone from doing this again and I'm praying there isn't a string of copycat bombings at major sporting events, the way it did with school shootings.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:35 pm

I already hesitate to run the big races, bigger entry fee, more expensive hotels in the big cities.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Dave-O wrote:Even worse, I heard the Oakbrook Half Marathon isn't allowing ANY gear check at all.  Runners are being told to leave everything in their car. 

Huh?
I've run this one a few times and if I recall correctly, the parking lot is really close to the start area (a block or so). Still, if there on your own, you have to have car keys somewhere. I'd use a SPI belt for that if needed.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm not thrilled with the added security and we'll need to get there a little earlier I guess. But I also don't want to be in the corral surrounded with wall to wall people and have something go off. Chicago is so crowded, especially the first half of it, that someone who wanted to do damage could target an area along the course. I agree though with the smaller marathon concepts. All the ones I've done have been easy to get to, easy to line up in, etc. It may be the first option going forward if this security starts taking too much time to get through.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 am

Most of the races I run (and ran in Atlanta) have no gear check and you leave your stuff in the car. I'm guessing Boston will be exceptionally tight which is ok by me. It is really the only big city marathon that I am still running. The last two smaller marathons that I ran used clear bags for gear check but they were not in heavily populated areas.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 pm

I still travel by plane.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:22 pm

JohnP wrote:
Dave-O wrote:Even worse, I heard the Oakbrook Half Marathon isn't allowing ANY gear check at all.  Runners are being told to leave everything in their car. 

Huh?
I've run this one a few times and if I recall correctly, the parking lot is really close to the start area (a block or so). Still, if there on your own, you have to have car keys somewhere. I'd use a SPI belt for that if needed.
Yep, no gear check. But parking was so close that I would have just taken my stuff back to the car anyway. I put my car key in my shorts pocket.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:14 pm

I will probably continue Boston but Chicago will be one and done for me.  Will replace the fall marathon with smaller ones.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 pm

mountandog wrote:I will probably continue Boston but Chicago will be one and done for me.  Will replace the fall marathon with smaller ones.
My general strategy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
mountandog wrote:I will probably continue Boston but Chicago will be one and done for me.  Will replace the fall marathon with smaller ones.
My general strategy.

I have done Chicago twice and these new rules do make it discouraging, although I can understand why they are doing it.  Another big deterrent for me is that it is getting to be a very expensive race.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Seriously though, the new rules are not much different than the ones that have been in place for years already. So you can only bring the designated clear plastic gear bag in to the start finish area, makes perfect sense. Backpacks are going to be searched. We should completely understand why this has to happen. Other than that, except maybe not being able to pick up someone else's packet I don't see a huge difference. They will have an alternative in place in case of an exception. If it saves lives, I'm all in.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:54 pm

fostever wrote:Seriously though, the new rules are not much different than the ones that have been in place for years already. So you can only bring the designated clear plastic gear bag in to the start finish area, makes perfect sense. Backpacks are going to be searched. We should completely understand why this has to happen. Other than that, except maybe not being able to pick up someone else's packet I don't see a huge difference. They will have an alternative in place in case of an exception. If it saves lives, I'm all in.

Steve I also believe the other two big differences this year is that before the race there are only designated spots to entry to be able to get to the other designated check points to entry the corrals. So they will be searching everyone and everything they are bringing the clear bags just to get into the start area. They did mention that there will be an express lane for runners that are not checking any bags. 

The same thing goes for family members wanting to get together after the race. Again only certain spots to entry and again checking everything. 

I just believe that if someone wants to bomb a marathon again there are so many places on the course this can happen. Think of all the runners grouped up between miles 1 and 6 at Chicago? Again I really don't care and think sure doing something on the surface to make people feel like they are safe is great but are we really? I will also go as far ti say whether they did anything or not we won't see this happen again a marathon.  I think anything like this can happen anywhere at anytime if someone really wants to cause harm regardless of the security in place.

In such an evil way I can I already see the Chicago Marathon (Boston) and others using this as a scheme to justify charing people 200.00 or more to run a marathon. That's just my opinion and could be wrong.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Yeah separate entrances and yes checking bags at the bag entrance. The meet up area will be tighter. Just don't bring large bags knowing they will be checked. They will be using dogs on other parts of the course if that is even effective. I think most people will realize limiting bags if you are spectating is the best policy. They probably will raise prices as long as people keep signing up in huge numbers and they can get it. They never have had to justify it because most people running marathons just pay it since we are a bunch of rich yuppie types! Hah hah
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Small check in bag is no problem even if you don't stay around downtown, cause it will be hot and you don't need extra cloth. Haha.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Jerry wrote:Small check in bag is no problem even if you don't stay around downtown, cause it will be hot and you don't need extra cloth. Haha.
My bag check is my house. One nice thing living 10mins by walking from the start and finish. Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:36 am

This is the world we live in now unfortunately.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down