365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strength workout during marathon training

5 posters

Go down

Strength workout during marathon training Empty Strength workout during marathon training

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:44 am

Can we continue the conversation that was touched on in Michele's post linking to the Runner's World article?

Do you continue to do core/strength workouts during marathon training?

A trainer put together a 45 minute core/strength/balance workout that targets my weak areas.  I did it 3 times a week through the winter and spring.  She encouraged me to continue even as I increased my mileage but I'm struggling to complete it now that I'm getting into the meat of my marathon training.  It includes back slide lunges w/bicep curls, single leg squats, and single leg bridges on a small ball that are tough on my legs.  Between the workout and my quality runs it seems like my legs are constantly sore/tired and as a result I'm struggling to complete the quality runs.

Suggestions?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Strength workout during marathon training Empty Re: Strength workout during marathon training

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am

That definitely sounds like more than core work Smile  I continue to do strength training and core work throughout the training cycle, but as I get towards the middle to the end of the program, I lighten the weight and the reps.  I also lighten up on the leg workouts, as I am putting them through a lot of work in the middle of the training cycle.  Throughout the program, though, I continue to do the same intensity of core work.  I believe that having a strong core is very important to good running form.

My suggestion is to do lighter weight and less reps for the strength training, but keep up the intensity of the core work.  Also, you can lighten up on the weight and reps for the leg work, too.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Strength workout during marathon training Empty Re: Strength workout during marathon training

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm

I continue right through my marathon mileage building and don't really back off until the week before my target race.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 am

Nick Morris wrote:That definitely sounds like more than core work Smile  I continue to do strength training and core work throughout the training cycle, but as I get towards the middle to the end of the program, I lighten the weight and the reps.  I also lighten up on the leg workouts, as I am putting them through a lot of work in the middle of the training cycle.  Throughout the program, though, I continue to do the same intensity of core work.  I believe that having a strong core is very important to good running form.

My suggestion is to do lighter weight and less reps for the strength training, but keep up the intensity of the core work.  Also, you can lighten up on the weight and reps for the leg work, too.
Thanks Nick...I would like to continue with the core work and I think if I lighten up a bit on the leg work I can still maintain the gains I've made.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:27 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I continue right through my marathon mileage building and don't really back off until the week before my target race.
Michele, Where do you fit the core/strength workout in?  I run three days a week and she suggested I do it on those days after my run.  That way my cross training/recovery days were still recovery days.  That worked when my mileage was lighter but it's not doable now.  If I lighten up on the leg work as Nick suggested it might work OK.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:05 am

I would recommend just doing leg squats with no or little weight (essentially air squats) once a week. 

Core work could be done to the degree that it doesn't negatively affect your running like planks, leg lifts (lie on your back and lift one leg 90 degrees, lower, then the other leg 90 degrees.  Work up to do that in sets of 20 for 4 sets), bench press, bicep and tricep curls. 

You could also do ankle stabilizer muscle exercises by standing in a door way and balance on one foot for 10 seconds, then the other, then repeat.  The door way will catch you, if you lose your balance.  Eventually, you could work up to walking curbs.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:45 pm

This is the first marathon training cycle (I've done 26) where I included pretty hefty weight lifting and core work in the routine. I do squats, split squats, dead lift, etc., in an effort to build the leg strength. I also do several things for the hips and ankles. As a result, I somewhat feel the same you mention - legs are generally fatigued. But I am sticking with it because I feel it is strengthening areas that really need it. During taper, I'll probably reduce this quite a bit and then pick it up after the marathon again. I think that should be enough for the muscles to all heal and be well for the marathon.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:54 pm

JohnP wrote:This is the first marathon training cycle (I've done 26) where I included pretty hefty weight lifting and core work in the routine. I do squats, split squats, dead lift, etc., in an effort to build the leg strength. I also do several things for the hips and ankles. As a result, I somewhat feel the same you mention - legs are generally fatigued. But I am sticking with it because I feel it is strengthening areas that really need it. During taper, I'll probably reduce this quite a bit and then pick it up after the marathon again. I think that should be enough for the muscles to all heal and be well for the marathon.
John,
I did CrossFit from February to August on MTW, then ran on ThF.  When the workout on Wednesday was heavy on the legs (dead lifts, then Conditioning workout of box jumps and other leg stuff, I couldn't run on Thursday.  My point is to just watch it.

Having said that, include box jumps and single or double under jump ropes, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down