365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overdue 2013 Boston Report

+11
Paula Sue
mountandog
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Chris Coleman
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
Dave P
amyjoann
Michele "1L" Keane
fostever
15 posters

Go down

Overdue 2013 Boston Report Empty Overdue 2013 Boston Report

Post  fostever Wed May 01, 2013 3:28 pm

2013 Boston Marathon
I initially held off on this race report due to obvious reasons. One being sensitive to the whole situation and the other wrestling with my own kind of guilt at being totally unscathed physically by the blasts. I will say I've been grieving and praying for the dead and injured. Psychologically I've been in kind of a funk the last 2 weeks especially when thinking about it and hearing reports about the perpetrators. That being said I'd like to share my experiences of the trip and document my race even thought it pales in comparison to the remembrance of the loss of life and limb and the beautiful sacrifice of those who ran toward danger to save lives, God bless their efforts.
Well the trip started out pretty smooth with no flight delays and only a bit of confusion about how to get the train to my hotel in Medford. I decided to take the train downtown to the expo first to get my race bag. Who do you think I see first thing as I stepped out of the subway but Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher getting ready for a shake out run. I met a man at the Park T who was very helpful and actually walked me to the commuter rail from the subway, as I initially thought I needed to get to West Medford when actually all I needed was to take the orange line. I shared with him I wasn't sure if I could make the team bus on Monday morning due to the train schedules. This guy actually offered to put me up at his place on Sunday evening to make sure I got there. I assured him I'd be fine. This is an example of how helpful and accepting most of Boston is which was later demonstrated all up and down the marathon route after the race cancellation.
Later Saturday it was my pleasure to meet up with other 365 runners for a hang out session. I thoroughly enjoyed that and look forward to future meet ups, thanks you'all.
As for the race day. I was able to get an early train to the correct stop to the downtown hotel where the CARA team bus was leaving. Having that mode of transport was awesome as they Stayed parked in Hopkinton until it was time to head to the corrals. Since it was a bit chilly having the comfort and warmth of the bus was an added benefit.
Going into this race I'd struggled a bit with some old guy issues and some lingering effects of a foot sprain from back in November 2012 and a hamstring strain at the Disney marathon in January. I also got a rare (for me) stomach flu about 3 weeks prior during my training peak. So my peak mileage topped out at 43 mi. as I was just trying to hit key workouts and took days off if I felt I needed more recovery. This seemed to work as most of my issues had waned considerably. I did manage a 1:29 half PR about 4 weeks prior so that gave me some confidence going in. My goal was to better my 2 previous Boston course times which I felt was doable since in 2010 I came in as a novice being my second marathon and running 3:24 with a big fade at the end and of course last year's heat left me 7 minute+ off a BQ.
I decided the weather was cooperating with temps hovering around 50F and slight winds at least at the start so I felt 7:15- 7:30 pace was a possible and reasonable undertaking. What can I say except the day started out wonderful and of course the communities all along the route were so great and supportive. I had a slight shoestring malfunction on mile one and got over to adjust it unfortunately slightly nicking a guy causing him to tumble. I apologized and he shrugged it off and got right up. The rest of the way I stayed at around 7:20 ave pace on the Garmin even through the hills with a sight slow down then tried my best not to let the struggling runners get me off pace. The last mile seemed to last forever as I was hanging on to avoid what seemed like an oncoming cramp. No sprint down Boylston, but a solid finish and course PR of 3:16:04. My watch was off due to the stop on the first mile, forgot to turn off the autopause. Felt a bit beat up after and had a calf cramp up while getting into my sweat pants. Overall happy with the day until evil reared it's ugly head again. I dedicate this personal best to all the victims and hope many will support their recovery by giving to the One Fund or however you are led.
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary 3:15:51.6 26.44 7:24
1 7:34.2 1.00 7:34
2 7:13.2 1.00 7:13
3 7:13.9 1.00 7:14
4 7:13.3 1.00 7:13
5 7:30.9 1.00 7:31
6 7:17.1 1.00 7:17
7 7:20.1 1.00 7:20
8 7:16.9 1.00 7:17
9 7:17.2 1.00 7:17
10 7:23.1 1.00 7:23
11 7:23.8 1.00 7:24
12 7:12.9 1.00 7:13
13 7:16.7 1.00 7:17
14 7:21.9 1.00 7:22
15 7:22.3 1.00 7:22
16 7:20.3 1.00 7:20
17 7:29.3 1.00 7:29
18 7:30.7 1.00 7:31
19 7:17.7 1.00 7:18
20 7:33.5 1.00 7:33
21 7:53.3 1.00 7:53
22 7:21.5 1.00 7:22
23 7:22.8 1.00 7:23
24 7:35.2 1.00 7:35
25 7:33.1 1.00 7:33
26 7:46.8 1.00 7:47
27 3:10.0 0.44 7:10
official time: 3:16:04
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Overdue 2013 Boston Report Empty Re: Overdue 2013 Boston Report

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks for the report, Steve and it was nice to meet you as I don't recall meeting you in the past (but I bet we did). Congrats on an excellent race, and I understand your feelings of guilt, but there is no reason to feel that way - jsut saddened and outraged by the events (that are continuing to unfold). I'm glad that you had a positive experience with a local as well. Us, Bostonians, get labelled as rude and cold, but I think we proved that we are as genuine as any mid-western (the people around here in Cleveland are so nice it can hurt because they mean it!). Take care of that foot, recover well, and keep running. Hopefully you'll be back, and I'll see you again.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Wed May 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Looks like you ran a great race, I'm sorry that it was ruined by the awful events that day,it had nothing to do with runners and everything to do with a few evil people with horrible intents. We all grieve for the countless people and families maimed forever by this. I think talking about this is the best way to heal,I wish you recovery . Very Happy
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed May 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks for the report Steve & congrats on the Boston course best.
I have already given to the Boston One Fund.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri May 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for sharing Steve. Great job especially dealing with the injuries. Plus you just ran Disney in January too. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Thanks for the report, Steve and it was nice to meet you as I don't recall meeting you in the past (but I bet we did). Congrats on an excellent race, and I understand your feelings of guilt, but there is no reason to feel that way - jsut saddened and outraged by the events (that are continuing to unfold). I'm glad that you had a positive experience with a local as well. Us, Bostonians, get labelled as rude and cold, but I think we proved that we are as genuine as any mid-western (the people around here in Cleveland are so nice it can hurt because they mean it!). Take care of that foot, recover well, and keep running. Hopefully you'll be back, and I'll see you again.
Thanks, Michelle
Yeah, met last year, we left soon after you arrived, though. I'm originally from Ohio, hour and 1/2 south of Cleveland. They're friendly there? hah hah
amyjoann wrote:Looks like you ran a great race, I'm sorry that it was ruined by the awful events that day,it had nothing to do with runners and everything to do with a few evil people with horrible intents. We all grieve for the countless people and families maimed forever by this. I think talking about this is the best way to heal,I wish you recovery . Very Happy
I agree whole heartily, thanks.

Dave P wrote:Thanks for the report Steve & congrats on the Boston course best.
I have already given to the Boston One Fund.
Appreciate it, Dave Hope you get back there too.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Thanks for sharing Steve. Great job especially dealing with the injuries. Plus you just ran Disney in January too. Congrats.
Thanks Alex, congrats again on your BQ, Hope you get in.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Steve, and congratulations on a very nice PR at Boston. Sorry that the satisfaction from that accomplishment had to be tempered by the feelings generated by this senseless act. Recover well.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Sat May 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Congratulations on the course PB and thanks for a great race report. I'm so glad you wrote it. Everyone that gets satisfaction from the race denies satisfaction to the bombers and any twisted individuals that support them.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun May 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Steve, congratulations on beating that course! You ran a great race. I really enjoyed meeting you and spending time with all our friends as well. I'll remember everything, good and bad, about the whole weekend, for the rest of my life. Hanging out with everyone at the Pru was one of the best parts of the weekend.
As for everything your feeling, all I can say is that I'm sure all of us have been feeling the same things, perhaps to various degrees. I'm finally just now starting to sleep easier. It's been much tougher than I thought it would be, and my heart is broken for the victims. Your sentiments regarding the terrific folks in Boston are of course shared.
Again, it was great to finally meet, and congratulations on a fine marathon.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun May 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Nice job in the race, Steven, those splits were pretty amazing, good consistency. It was good to see you again, hope we cross paths again in Chicago.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun May 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Mark B wrote:Thanks for sharing this, Steve, and congratulations on a very nice PR at Boston. Sorry that the satisfaction from that accomplishment had to be tempered by the feelings generated by this senseless act. Recover well.
Thank you. Yeah, terrorism really sucks.

Chris Coleman wrote:Congratulations on the course PB and thanks for a great race report. I'm so glad you wrote it. Everyone that gets satisfaction from the race denies satisfaction to the bombers and any twisted individuals that support them.
I concur on that and glad to share, thanks!

Seth Harrison wrote:Steve, congratulations on beating that course! You ran a great race. I really enjoyed meeting you and spending time with all our friends as well. I'll remember everything, good and bad, about the whole weekend, for the rest of my life. Hanging out with everyone at the Pru was one of the best parts of the weekend.
As for everything your feeling, all I can say is that I'm sure all of us have been feeling the same things, perhaps to various degrees. I'm finally just now starting to sleep easier. It's been much tougher than I thought it would be, and my heart is broken for the victims. Your sentiments regarding the terrific folks in Boston are of course shared.
Again, it was great to finally meet, and congratulations on a fine marathon.
Yes, the weekend will be burned in my memory, unfortunately not all good ones, but the collective good can overcome the selective evil. Enjoyed the time immensely at the Pru also, cheers.

JohnP wrote:Nice job in the race, Steven, those splits were pretty amazing, good consistency. It was good to see you again, hope we cross paths again in Chicago.
Yeah man, we shall meet again I'm sure, thanks
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks for writing this up Steve. Congrats on the BOS PR.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Mon May 06, 2013 11:39 am

You had an amazing race, Steve. I'm glad you are beginning to center on that. It's hard to not think about the tragedy however as Boston moves on, we will too. Runners are a tough lot not willing to secume to anything. Our best dedication is to continue running and demonstrating our strength. You said a bundle when you mentioned taking out our anger and sadness by giving to One Fund. When we get back to Ohio, I will definitely do just that. Thank you for the reminder. Heal well and get ready for next year. Those Bostonians are and they are expecting all of us to come back and enjoy their marathon.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 am

I'm glad that you were able to post a course PR. This certainly isn't the easiest course out there. I also share your thoughts that actually being there and experiencing all that went on, even if we weren't on the course at the time does have an impact on your outlook on things. I certainly won't take as much for granted anymore. You never know what lies around the next bend in life.
Again congrats and I enjoyed our brief visit at the Prudential food court.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 am

mountandog wrote:Thanks for writing this up Steve. Congrats on the BOS PR.
Thanks Michael. You really inspire me to stay the course into the 55-59 AG with those recent performances!

Paula Sue wrote:You had an amazing race, Steve. I'm glad you are beginning to center on that. It's hard to not think about the tragedy however as Boston moves on, we will too. Runners are a tough lot not willing to secume to anything. Our best dedication is to continue running and demonstrating our strength. You said a bundle when you mentioned taking out our anger and sadness by giving to One Fund. When we get back to Ohio, I will definitely do just that. Thank you for the reminder. Heal well and get ready for next year. Those Bostonians are and they are expecting all of us to come back and enjoy their marathon.
Appreciate the kind words, Paula Sue. Yes, we will continue to run and not be intimidated!

jon c wrote:I'm glad that you were able to post a course PR. This certainly isn't the easiest course out there. I also share your thoughts that actually being there and experiencing all that went on, even if we weren't on the course at the time does have an impact on your outlook on things. I certainly won't take as much for granted anymore. You never know what lies around the next bend in life.
Again congrats and I enjoyed our brief visit at the Prudential food court.
Yep, we aren't promised tomorrow so we need to live it to the fullest. Love having a great running support group here, nice seeing you all again, Jon.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Foster dude great job. Each year you will find that you will run the course better and better. Congrats on the PR in Boston! When are you coming down for a run, wine, food and Dead music??
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat May 11, 2013 12:14 am

Well done course PR, Steven!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat May 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Schuey wrote:Foster dude great job. Each year you will find that you will run the course better and better. Congrats on the PR in Boston! When are you coming down for a run, wine, food and Dead music??
Thanks, I'm pumped for next year already for my 55-59 AG debut on the course. Ready anytime, let me know.
Jerry wrote:Well done course PR, Steven!
Appreciate it Jerry!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Good one Steve! You ran a very wise race, slowing little over the hills. Mighty fine!

Turn Auto Pause OFF. I don't use it ... ever. I pause when I pause, not when the device tells me I've paused.

Hit that new age group hard. You'll be giving me a run for my money!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 pm

KBFitz wrote:Good one Steve! You ran a very wise race, slowing little over the hills. Mighty fine!

Turn Auto Pause OFF. I don't use it ... ever. I pause when I pause, not when the device tells me I've paused.

Hit that new age group hard. You'll be giving me a run for my money!
Thanks Kevin, yeah times and AG PR's pretty similar, we'll have to pair up some day somewhere.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down