365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Jurek interview

4 posters

Go down

Scott Jurek interview Empty Scott Jurek interview

Post  Tim M Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:10 pm

This interview was linked on Runners World about Scott Jurek.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/avital-binshtock/ultramarathoning_b_878813.html
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Scott Jurek interview Empty Re: Scott Jurek interview

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 am

I like the article but right off the bat the writer got some things wrong.

Yes he won Badwater but it's 135 miles, I think the writer of the article might have wanted to say that he won the Spartathlon which is 153 miles. Also the Spartahlon is the only 153 mile race run in honor of Pheidippides' longer run, the 153-mile Spartathlon happens only in Greece, along the same Athens-to-Sparta road traversed nearly 2,500 years ago. Jurek has won the race two years in a row, clocking two of the fastest times in history.

I liked this "we're always searching for those moments, and we'd like them to happen more. Sometimes I don't know when it's going to happen. It just hits me on a trail. And a lot of times it happens, yes, getting through adversity or difficult moments, but sometimes it can happen where everything's just clicking and going right, and the present moment is the only thing that really matters."

And this "People say running 100 miles is crazy, it's hard, I could never do that, but when you open your mind to the possibility of doing something like an ultramarathon, it's completely possible. So my advice would be: Keep your mind open. Be willing to explore the boundaries. Never limit yourself, and listen to your body."
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 am

I was in Boulder, CO and recognized Jurek while he was riding his bike with his girlfriend. He was stopped at the crosswalk. Instead of brushing me off and riding away, he stopped and talked with me for a long time about Brooks, our local sales rep, and the new PureGrit trail shoe. When I told him I was really looking forward to them, he added that he had a bunch and I could have one of his. Only problem with that is his feet are bigger - size 13.

So besides being an amazing runner, he is just a really nice guy.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 am

As one of two (that I know of) resident vegans here, I have to take issue with a few of the things he said...

"As a result of it, my body is able to withstand all the demands I put on it."
With the diet he's advocating as opposed to his "old" eating habits, yes, veganism is tremendously better for your health; however, incorporating a small amount of cholesterol (only found in animal products) from a "natural" (I'm talking pastured as opposed to grain-fed, truly naturally raised animals) source, would be even better, as it would allow the liver to focus entirely on tasks of recovery rather than producing cholesterol, as well (this argument is from a medical source, not smoke out of my ass).

"I realized that through the dairy, through the eggs, and through all the other non-vegan products, there's a huge impact from a health and environmental standpoint."
The exact same argument can be made for any "conventional" (aka industrialized) agricultural production, particularly grains, corn, and soybeans. All of which Jurek claims to eat quite a bit of (or at least their derivatives) later in the article.

"But I'll bring protein powder when I'm traveling and need to supplement."
Aaaaand he lost me. Maybe he likes to supplement or likes protein powder, but there's never a need to if you're eating a properly balanced vegan diet. Personally, I average 100-120g/day protein in my diet. Most websites I've found suggest ~1.5g/kg/day, with the top end around 1.75. Assuming 100g/day for me (I'm ~63.5kg), that's 1.58g/kg/day. If it's 120g, that's 1.89g/kg/day. I'm not saying I'm every vegan. But I am saying that I don't supplement, and even at times when I don't eat any "fake meat" products, I still average over 100g/day.

I know, leave it to the vegan to trample on veganism. Someone had to do it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:19 am

Hey Mike I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about vegan because other then the basics that is all I know. Laughing

With that being said I think he was saying that when he is traveling to certain places he runs into the problem of being able to find a protein source therefore he will be bring a protein powder to supplement the lack of being able to get the right protein he is looking for when on the road. He did say when he is at home and cooking he doesn't have any problems. So I wonder if it is very rare for him to do that. Just a thought.

Tim yeah from reading this article and other articles with him in them he seems to be a pretty down to Earth guy.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:46 am

Schuey, that's a good point. Still, isn't it in the same section that he says he can often find beans or at least vegetables just about anywhere? The majority of common vegetables are at least 20-30% protein (calorically, not by weight), so if he's getting enough calories, he's getting enough protein.

Either way, none of this diminishes from the fact that he's an incredible athlete and, by multiple accounts, a nice dude. I'm just on my soapbox this morning.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Schuey, that's a good point. Still, isn't it in the same section that he says he can often find beans or at least vegetables just about anywhere? The majority of common vegetables are at least 20-30% protein (calorically, not by weight), so if he's getting enough calories, he's getting enough protein.

Either way, none of this diminishes from the fact that he's an incredible athlete and, by multiple accounts, a nice dude. I'm just on my soapbox this morning.

It's all good. I'm with you, I find it hard to believe that one can't find a good protein source here in the states. Maybe it's more of a problem for him when he is out of the country but like you said I find it hard to believe you can't find beans anywhere! Also you would know better then me about the whole vegan thing. I'm like a rat and pretty much eat anything and everything, although I have gotten better and I'm watching more of what I consume.

It's ok to be on our soapbox keep right at it today.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Schuey wrote:Tim yeah from reading this article and other articles with him in them he seems to be a pretty down to Earth guy.

I have read/heard he (along with many other top ultra marathoners) can be found at the finish line many hours after finishing, cheering on other finishers. Don't see that very often with road marathoners.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down