365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition

+5
EugeneGreenie
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Michael Enright
9 posters

Go down

Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition Empty Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition

Post  Michael Enright Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am

OK, I'm on vacation for a week starting tomorrow, so my thoughts about that have infected this thread:

1. Have you gone on vacation this summer? If so, tell us about it, or tell us about your plans for later in the summer. If you are not vacationing this summer, why not?

2. Best vacation ever:

3. Worst vacation ever:

4. Strangest run you ever experienced while on vacation?

5. Coolest run you ever experienced while on vacation?

6. Best summer ever [which year and why]:

7. If you go on vacation in the middle of training, do you keep training, take a break, modify?

8. Do you and your spouse, significant other or travelling pal have different ideas about what is the perfect vacation, and if so, how do you reconcile that (or do you?)?

9. Do you combine vacations and races?

10. Farthest you've ever travelled for a race:
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition

Post  Jerry Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm

OK, I'm on vacation for a week starting tomorrow, so my thoughts about that have infected this thread:

Have you gone on vacation this summer? If so, tell us about it, or tell
us about your plans for later in the summer. If you are not vacationing
this summer, why not?

No, that's why I don't like those who do.

2. Best vacation ever:

Iceland.

3. Worst vacation ever:

Las Vegas, a couple of years back. I don't like that place cause I don't gamble. Then with a little girl, what can you do?

10 miles in hotel gym early am alone. Quiet and scary.

Las Vegas strip. Did I say that was the worst vacation earlier? Very Happy

Ha, really no clue.

7. If you go on vacation in the middle of training, do you keep training, take a break, modify?

Has only happened once in a short trip. I don't anticipate keep training in a week long vacation.

Do you and your spouse, significant other or travelling pal have
different ideas about what is the perfect vacation, and if so, how do
you reconcile that (or do you?)?

Sigh......

Yes, we combined races and vacations in my Chicago, New York and Boston marathons.

Boston.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:39 pm

1. Have you gone on vacation this summer? If so, tell us about it, or tell us about your plans for later in the summer. If you are not vacationing this summer, why not? I never truly go on a summer vacation as I spend all summer at my house on a lake in western NY state. The drawback is that I work all summer.

2. Best vacation ever: Not really sure - many stand out.

3. Worst vacation ever: Disney cruise. We had bad weather and had to turn back to Cape Canaveral.

4. Strangest run you ever experienced while on vacation? Around a cow pasture in Normandy, France.

5. Coolest run you ever experienced while on vacation? Redwood forest in northern California.

6. Best summer ever [which year and why]: I'm too old to remember back then, but I do remember a summer when I was a bout 9 or 10 that seemed like the best ever, but I don't remember why anymore.

7. If you go on vacation in the middle of training, do you keep training, take a break, modify? It depends. If I go on a vacation that involves a lot of walking, hiking, or skiing, then I usually suspend training, but if I go to a resort or on a cruise, then I modify my schedule as it fits with the trip.

8. Do you and your spouse, significant other or travelling pal have different ideas about what is the perfect vacation, and if so, how do you reconcile that (or do you?)? Neither of us love the beach although my husband likes it more than I, so we usually stay away from beach vacations. Both of us would rather go hiking or sightseeing in a new city or country or national park.

9. Do you combine vacations and races? Yes, often especially if they are "destination" races like Big Sur or Maui.

10. Farthest you've ever travelled for a race: Hawaii from Atlanta, GA. I have also raced in Washington state, Oregon, California, Nevada, all the southeastern states, most of the midwestern states, and most of the new England states. In fact the only states that I have not raced some distance in are: Montana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Vermont, Connecticut, Maryland, West Virginia, South Dakota, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Kentucky (unless the Flying Pig counts since you run 2 miles in KY), and Idaho
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:55 pm

1. Have you gone on vacation this summer? If so, tell us about it, or tell us about your plans for later in the summer. If you are not vacationing this summer, why not?

Closer to fall, we're going to CA in September to visit one of my friends and for me to run a marathon

2. Best vacation ever:

Honeymoon in Colorado, if that counts as a vacation. Wisconsin last fall was fun if that doesn't count.

3. Worst vacation ever:

Driving 24 hrs straight through with my parents from SD to PA when I was really little

Not sure. I've only really gone on a few vacations and they were really marathon centered so I don't have many non-marathon vacation runs to think of.

One of my marathons?

2010 was really pretty good, my daughter turned 1 and got a lot easier and I was training for a 50K so still getting a lot of running done

If I would go on a vacation that didn't involve a marathon I'd probably modify. When we were on our honey moon we did a lot of hiking but no running and it was fine.

8. Do you and your spouse, significant other or traveling pal have different ideas about what is the perfect vacation, and if so, how do you reconcile that (or do you?)?

My husband is a very good sport about driving me to all of my marathons and making family vacations revolve around marathon dates and getting me more states for my 50 states goal.

yes

10. Farthest you've ever traveled for a race:

Pensacola, FL (from NE)
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Headed to Charlestown, RI, an easy drive, in the morning, to spend a week with my wife and four kids. As of this moment, the kids are all teenagers, though the oldest will turn 20 on Monday. This is pretty much a replay of our vacation last summer, which was very relaxing and a lot of fun. Very "go with the flow" kind of week.

2. Best vacation ever:

Honeymoon; St. John in the USVI. Beautiful, relaxing, snorkeling, scuba. Perfect. Last time I took off two weeks in a row. Hard to believe it was almost 21 years since I've done that.

3. Worst vacation ever:

A trip I took all by myself in 1984. Drove west and eventually ended up in the Canadian Rockies. Came back through Glacier (pass was closed due to bad weather, so I skipped it and drove to Yellowstone). The places were beautiful. My mental state was a disaster. Long story. Lots of sad phone calls to people back home. Man, am I glad I lived through that part of my life and got it over with!

Not much to say for me here. I really haven't gone any place interesting enough to have a strange run lately. However, some of my runs through the snowy streets of the south side of Chicago while home for Christmas, often in the pre-dawn darkness, have been quite odd. But nothing all that interesting...

I got back to the lakefront for a run while visiting Chicago. I ran there years ago, when I lived in Lincoln Park and (later) the Gold Coast, and it was a real throwback for me. I just loved it.

1977, no doubt. I was not quite 21. We went to old Comiskey many, many nights after our summer jobs, and it was awesome. The South Side Hitmen was the deal at the time, and it was a great summer (well, until the end!) to be there. The whole Na Na Na thing started then, and it wasn't old and stupid yet. We could get grandstand tickets any time, we were old enough (19 for beer and wine) to drink beer in the ballpark, and the entertainment was phenomenal. Also took a two week roadtrip camping in the Rockies with four other guys in a conversion van. Man, it was great. One could argue that it was a bummer that Elvis died (we were driving through Montana, listening to am radio and heard that), but I really wasn't that big of a fan!

I usually keep training, but modify it somewhat. Typically, I'll skip the really long run, but I'll make the midweek runs longer and possibly more plentiful. I did run a 20 while on vacation once, but figured that isn't a good idea generally.

8. Do you and your spouse, significant other or travelling pal have different ideas about what is the perfect vacation, and if so, how do you reconcile that (or do you?)?

I'd rather sit at the beach under an umbrella and read a book. She'd rather be off shopping, etc. We manage to work it out somehow.

No, we've done a family trip for a holiday weekend with a race (Burlington, VT marathon, on Memorial Day weekend) twice now, but nothing longer than that. But we loved that! So I may find a way to do that...

From Connecticut to Chicago for BACM '08. Nice trip; terrible hot race.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Going back to Nantucket for almost two weeks for our annual family reunion. I can't wait. It is my heart place.

2. Best vacation ever:

2005. We drove across the country: Me, DH and DS. Stopped at sites along the way, went scuba diving in the Flower Gardens off the coast of Texas, went to Nantucket, Niagara, Indianapolis to see family. So fun!

3. Worst vacation ever:

Probably the first time I returned to Nantucket after being away for a long time, in 1992. The island was filled with rude people who just could not get a chill and relax. I was driven to tears more than once because my memories did not match reality.

I really cannot think of one I would define as strange.

The Central Park Route. Running that in 2009 made me wonder why I left in 1986.

See above, 2005. A six week cross country tour with my husband and son. So many amazing memories. For Christmas that year they gave me a photo album. It is my most treasured possession.

I run every day, but I lower the intensity and distance. Running on Nantucket is an experience. You are soaked with sweat after 5 minutes. The humidity is really high all the time.

As long as we are on the island, we are happy doing whatever we feel like...sometimes I leave DH at home with my dad while mom and I shop. It is really the same no matter where we go....we figure out how to do all the things we both want to do...If we take a staycation, then I work on projects and he reads Smile

No.

Boston or New York from Oregon. Both in 2011.
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:16 pm

I've been doing nothing constructive for about 10-12 weeks... So I guess, yeah. Went to Santa Rosa for the Tour of California start (cool); backpacking in Big Sur (cool; tiring); going to Vegas a week from Sunday (hot).

2. Best vacation ever:
Hawaii was cool. Italy to study abroad/going back to visit a girl was very cool. Moving to NYC for 4 months was kind of a vacation.

3. Worst vacation ever:
White-water rafting down the Colorado (Phantom's Ranch to pull-out). Ruined a relationship.

Boston Marathon.

Was neat running trails with Aileen in Santa Rosa. Was very cool to do some awesome cycling up in Santa Barbara a year or two ago. Cycling/running in NYC is always fun. Running in DC was neat, too.

Last summer was pretty damn good.

Keep training.

Yep; I plan runs and routes, now. She just wants to enjoy it all and relax. We try to do both.

After the stress of Boston, not anymore.

Boston.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:37 pm

We are going to the beach in August. Outer Banks - same place we go every year. Can't wait!

2. Best vacation ever:

Wow, that's tough. We went on a cruise in the Baltic and North Sea where we visited Russia, Estonia, Norway, Denmark and more.....that one stands out.

3. Worst vacation ever:

When I was a kid, we went skiing and I got an eye infection which was ultimately not serious but I had to stay in the hospital the whole time and my family still went ahead and skiied each day before coming to visit me.

I ran onto a golf course in Hawaii once and then realized it was not an active course. Place had closed down and was abandonned. For awhile, I thought that was great and had the fairways and paths to myself but once I got out in the middle somewhere it was super spooky and felt like I was the last person on an abandonned Earth.

Same trip - I ran on a road/path cut through the volcano fields in Maui. Like running on the moon.
Friday Thread for July 20, 2012 - Summer Vacation Edition Maui_l10

I like em all but I miss being in school when Summer meant months off!

I train more. Not working frees up sooooooo much time.

Nah, we are very in sync. Although she had this idea about doing a week vacation in every state until we hit them all. I won't insult residents by saying which states I picked out as ones that I could care less about visiting.

Not intentionally.

Well, I ran one when we were in Hawaii but that was not why we went there. Furthest I've ever travelled for a race is Florida.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 pm

No I have not, because I like to travel to warm places in the winter when it is cold out.

2. Best vacation ever:

Hawaii

3. Worst vacation ever:

Camping in 100 degree weather

I guess the time I almost got ran over by a couple of quail when running in Arizona

Running on the beach in Mexico

Hmm...to many to pick the best ever

Keep training

I think we would agree on the perfect vacation...

Not yet

Flew from Madison, WI to Scranton, PA last year (Steamtown Marathon)...Heading to Hamilton, ON this fall
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks Michael

Does March/April count? Went to South Carolina for a relaxing week on the beach. Also went on a golf vacation in Feb, and plan another one in August. I like shorter, targeted vacations.

2. Best vacation ever:

Tough to say, but probably my family's only international vacation - to Spain. It was the best because the kids wanted to go there so much.

3. Worst vacation ever:

Keeping in mind that the worst vacation is usually better than spending the time at work, I'll say I haven't had a worst vacation.

Getting lost down in FLorida on a long run, and then running in a fairly bad area.

Doing a daily run on the beach in the water in SC.

This is tough to pick.

Always keep training, try to run more since there is more time.

So far, there have been no disconnects.

Yes. It's been good to go various places to run marathons. Going 2-3 days early provides a short vacation with some good sightseeing usually.

4,145 miles (Chicago to Paris)
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down