365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buffalo Marathon Race Report

+3
Alex Kubacki
Michael Enright
Kenny B.
7 posters

Go down

Buffalo Marathon Race Report Empty Buffalo Marathon Race Report

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Another destination marathon over and done with. I flew out to Buffalo Saturday and logistically things went smooth. Airport, hotel, expo, etc. I packed lots of food to eat properly during the trip and had a mediocre pasta dish at a italian joint (vegan restaurant was closed despite my reservations WTF). Hotel Hampton Inn Suite was really nice.

Did my typical fueling and I was suppose to eat around 4:00am but forgot to set alarm ended up eating at 4:30 for a 7am race. No big deal I guess.
Start line was about 1/4 mile from hotel and found my self at the start line right in front of the 3:30 pace group. My goal was sub 3:20 considering the temps which was around 64 to 70 during my time out there. Cloudy skies which stayed cloudy and light wind. I knew shooting for 3:15 was not doable but I thought sub 3:20 was possible.
For the first time I carried a
handheld water bottle (which I think did help me maintain hydration
especially in early miles) and I did not wear a HR monitor.
Considering most of my training was during the winter I played it conservative both in overall goal and first 6 miles following suggestion from Michelle. Plan was first 2 miles 8min pace next two 7:50 the final 2 7:40 then I would cruise for the next 14 at 7:30 to 7:40 and push through the last 6 with whatever I had left.
Mile 1 & 2 = 8:07

Mile 3& 4 = 7:46

Mile 5 & 6 = 7:40

During the first 6 I felt like a million bucks. Yea it was warmer then I'd like but I felt this was a non issue at this point. I can tell I was storing with plenty of
energy and I felt confident with running the next 14 miles at
somewhere between 7:30 and 7:40.

The next 11 miles (7 to 17) I cruised around 7:31 to 7:43 (avg around
7:38). A bit slower than planned but adequate. Then the wheels started to come off. I just felt the wall
coming up and no way to maintain this pace for another 9 miles. But I
figured if I can keep moving around 8:00 min pace I can still possibly
PR (sub 3:23).

Miles 18-20- where 7;58 8:07 8:19 - At this point I knew PR was not
possible and now my choices where to do walk/run death march which my
experience (and I have a few those) suck so I made a promise to myself
to keep on running no matter. Just move my feet because if I stop once
to walk I won't want to continue. So now the plan was to just finish
running no matter what pace.
I did not volunteer, do suicides or fraternize with the spectators. I was still focused on finishing with whatever energy I had left and be ok with that outcome.

Miles 21 - 22 surprisingly I held on to about 8:39 pace but I was hurting at this point but stayed focused. Not stopping. No stopping. I remember at this point I was just looking about 1 foot ahead of me nothing more and mantra was don't stop.

Miles 23 - to the finish. Around mile 23 someone was handing out Ice
Cold soaked sponges and this was the highlight of the marathon for me.
It came in the right time I squeezed some over my head and then rubbed
my face arms neck down and felt a bit of second wind. It was so heavenly refreshing. No I did not run
faster but allowed me to keep running

The last mile was really flat maybe even some down hill and as I approached the last 400m or so Fthe crowds where great at that point and I
was able to do a decent pace. My watch saying 3:33 as I crossed the line.

Not my best time, not my worst. I'd say considering the higher temps
for me it was a successful run. I think on a cool winter day I could
have easily pulled off sub 3:20 if not faster.

All considering my goal pace was around 7:35 I ran an 8:05 pace 30
seconds slower which is probably appropriate with warmer temps. The hills where non issues for me despite a few upgrades but nothing overall taxing for me. I do think my hill training works well.

Final note:
I can tell you it is much much harder to stop running when you bonk and do walk/run approach the last 5-6 miles than to just shuffle along. As hard as it is to shuffle walking seems so much more painful physically and more importantly emotionally and spiritually. It really knocks you out.

As far as the handheld bottle. Although it was worked really well for the first 10-15 miles I Really really wanted to toss it after that. But I ain't throwing out $20.00 especially with no PR.

I am glad I ran the whole thing and will regroup to see how I can do better in Philly in November.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Buffalo Marathon Race Report Empty Re: Buffalo Marathon Race Report

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Nice job getting it done, and without adding any crazy stuff!
I carry a bottle in training a lot of the time. I just use a half liter plastic water bottle that the water comes in in the first place (Poland Springs are nice - have a good shape) and fill them back up with water or gatorade. I am so used to carrying it, it never bothers me. And if I get sick of it, I can throw it away without remorse (but I never do). But do whatever works for you.
Your next PR will come soon enough, just keep it up, you maniac!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed May 30, 2012 7:24 am

Kenny you got it done so congrats. Conditions just weren't there. Give yourself a bit of a break to recover and then onward to Philly where the conditions will likely be much more favorable for you.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Good job in those conditions. You should be in good shape to start preparing for Philly. I'm with you on the keep running/shuffle at the end instead of run/walk. Whenever I have tried to run/walk at the end it seemed harder than just shuffling along.

Michael Enright wrote:Nice job getting it done, and without adding any crazy stuff!
I carry a bottle in training a lot of the time. I just use a half liter plastic water bottle that the water comes in in the first place (Poland Springs are nice - have a good shape) and fill them back up with water or gatorade. I am so used to carrying it, it never bothers me. And if I get sick of it, I can throw it away without remorse (but I never do). But do whatever works for you.
Your next PR will come soon enough, just keep it up, you maniac!

I do the same as above. I buy a bottled water in a bottle with a flip cap (last weekend for me it happened to be an Evian bottle) and then I mix Gatorade in it for the race. When it is empty, I just toss it at one of the aid stations. I like doing that because I can skip the extra crowded early aid stations that way.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 30, 2012 10:11 am

Well first things first, Kenny - you finished, ran well given the weather (and yes, I'm sure it did have an effect as temps heading towards the low-mid 70s are tough running conditions), did not sink into oblivion at mile 13 or 14, did not run suicides or give out water at a stop - so I'll say things were more of a success than you give yourself credit for. The mental thing is more than half the battle and you are 90+% there to conquering that demon, and that nasty demon can hang around for a long, long time. Glad my strategy worked somewhat as well as it helped get you over the hump and now we just need to see how to carry you that last 10% to the finish again.

I don't doubt that you have the BQ in you Kenny, and at this point, you might want to seek out a professional coach to see if they can help get you over that last 6 miles. Remember you can certainly run the time, I think it is just in the mental and physical approach. I might also suggest that you focus on Philly and let the other marathons for "fun" or "long runs" go by the wayside.

Rest up and then it will be time to train for Philly before you know it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 am

Poor Kenny, but you finished another one! Congratulations!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed May 30, 2012 11:01 am

Way to go, Kenny. Maybe next one should be in Antarctica to avoid these temps!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down