365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IAT 50 miler

5 posters

Go down

IAT 50 miler Empty IAT 50 miler

Post  wrichman Mon May 14, 2012 10:43 pm

I ran the Ice Age Trail 50 mile on Saturday. I've done one 50 mile race previously, but it was a flat road 50. I did the 50k version of this race 2 years ago. I don't have time to write a race report now, but I'll give you a quick recap.

Basically the race is 3 sections. The first is the Nordic Track loop - about 10ish miles. Mostly grassy flat and runnable fir roads, but 8-10 roller coaster hills added in. I felt good and banked about 20 min. The second section is on the Ice Age Trail - it's an out and back single track from miles 10.5 to 32ish. Some of it's runnable and some more rocky and up and down. At the turnaround I figured out I was in 10th place (women). I saw my husband many times at the road crossings, and I felt great until about mile 28. At that point I was on pace for a sub 9 hr finish (which was my goal). Miles 28-33 I got kinda dizzy - a spectator gave me an S cap, which helped and I ate some potato chips. I had to walk a bit more than I wanted to until I felt solid on my feet. The third section is another out and back the opposite way on the IA trail single trail miles 33-48.5. This section has more elevation change and the terrain is more rocky w/ roots. Miles 33-44 I really focused on just getting from aid station to aid station. The final turnaround at 40.5 was exciting b/c I was headed to the finish. Unfortunately, around mile 44.5 I got really dizzy. I started realizing that I couldn't run, much less barley walk. I stopped a few times to lean on a tree so I wouldn't fall over. It was very frustrating b/c 5 or 6 women (and some men) passed me during miles 45-47.5, and I knew that if I wasn't so dizzy I could run. t didn't have any salt tabs, but some girl passing me gave me two of hers. At the last aid station (47.5) my husband was very concerned about me - he wanted me to sit down, but I refused b/c I just wanted to finish. I ate some potato chips, and set off for the finish. The last 1.5 miles is on the runnable Nordic Track again. My dizziness subsided, and I was able to run it in to the end. Final time - 9:49:11. 16/78 women, 5/11 AG, 1 rolled ankle, 4 blisters, 4 face plants. I know if it wasn't for the dizziness, I could have gone sub 9 and top 10 women. However, I was so happy to finish after all the dizziness issues, and subsequently learned a lot about needing to alter my nutrition and using salt tabs/S caps. I can't wait to tackle an 8 hr. race in July and JFK 50 in November!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

IAT 50 miler Empty Re: IAT 50 miler

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 15, 2012 8:20 am

Way to get it done despite the issues. Congrats. What was the weather?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow, congrats Whitney. I'm curious about the weather as well, and it does sound like you need to train this summer with salt tablets as well as work on your nutrition. Good luck with the next race and see you at the JFK this fall.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Way to get it done despite the issues. Congrats. What was the weather?

Ah! I forgot to mention the weather - it was HUMID. It's was 60-70 mostly cloudy, but when the sun came out it was getting warm. There were a number of Mcconaughey runners out there. I had to take my inhaler 3 times throughout the race (my asthma is worse in humidity) - there was another girl struggling with her breathing and saying she may DNF - she didn't have her inhaler so I let her borrow mine. I think she dropped at some point b/c I didn't see her during the last out and back.
ps. My poor husband has to sit in the car with stinky me for 2 hours on the way back to Chicago. I put the flowers he got me in the console between us, but I don't know if it even helped.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue May 15, 2012 10:40 pm

In my first ultra (50 miler) a couple years ago, I had nutrition issues as well. Unlike you, I quit. It gave me a bit of motivation to finish it last fall, which was successful. It's quite a different animal, these ultras! I imagine the trails add an extra element as well.

You really perservered very well. Congrats on your successful race, despite the hardships! And even after the face plants, rolled ankles etc. I'll be interested to see how your racing continues to progress.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Sounds like a tough one, but kudos for gutting it out and finishing. I imagine there's a lot to be learned in race so long.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down