365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamstring flexibility

+12
Diego
GregC
ChasMcG
Mrs. Schuey
Natalie
JohnP
Schuey
Jerry
mul21
Mike MacLellan
charles
Dave-O
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hamstring flexibility Empty Hamstring flexibility

Post  Dave-O Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:47 am

Mine is bad. Pathetically bad. I used to not care, justifying it by telling myself "tight muscles are fast muscles." Maybe true, but my PT believes that my overly tight hamstrings were a contributing factor to my injury.

How do I improve? My PT gave me a few stretches, but they don't seem to be working. I haven't noticed much, if any, improvement. Please don't say yoga.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Hamstring flexibility Empty Re: Hamstring flexibility

Post  charles Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:00 am

Legs up the wall.

Lay on your back. Butt against the wall and legs straight up against the wall. Great for recovery and hamstring flexibility. I tell myself to do every night but rarely ever do the stretch - but it does work!
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Touch your toes?
Standing, cross one foot over the other (the front leg will keep the back leg locked straight). That'll isolate one at a time. Alternate which hand reaches. Or go for both.

Those two helped me go from "I can't get within 6 inches of my toes with both hands" to "I can wrap my fingers around my heels" in 4 months.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:12 pm

YOGA! tongue

In all seriousness, you should give it a shot. It's actually a whole lot more strength based than I expected it to be. I think it helped keep my hip thing at bay for a while until I started totally slacking and not going as much.

Plus, if you go with Britt, there could be some ancillary benefits!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Don't be stubborn, Dave. You know the right thing to do. bounce
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:20 pm

mul21 wrote:YOGA! tongue

In all seriousness, you should give it a shot. It's actually a whole lot more strength based than I expected it to be. I think it helped keep my hip thing at bay for a while until I started totally slacking and not going as much.

Plus, if you go with Britt, there could be some ancillary benefits!

You know Dave I have to agree with Jim on this one. Since we started do Yoga I have felt a lot better. Like you there is no doubt that the niggles I ran into this last training cycle were from not stretching.

Other then the yoga, I'm now stretching a lot more a day and using the foam roller. I also found from my PT guy that if or when you ITB starts to get tight that it will started to tighten up other muscles like the hamstrings, quads and butt muscles. So I make sure I'm doing a lot more rolling and using the stick on the ITB and other muscle groups.

For my hammies stretches I have doing the straight legs touch toes, put one leg up on a box and then bending down, sitting on the floor straight leg bend over, legs apart and then bending to both toes and then to the middle.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Dave-O wrote:Mine is bad. Pathetically bad. I used to not care, justifying it by telling myself "tight muscles are fast muscles." Maybe true, but my PT believes that my overly tight hamstrings were a contributing factor to my injury.

How do I improve? My PT gave me a few stretches, but they don't seem to be working. I haven't noticed much, if any, improvement. Please don't say yoga.

Say it ain't so! I stopped stretching a few years ago because you never did. My hamstrings are very tight, it's embarrassing to get tested on flexibility. But I don't go the speeds you do so it probably means more - but don't most elites do dynamic stretching, not static?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 pm

JohnP wrote:
Dave-O wrote:Mine is bad. Pathetically bad. I used to not care, justifying it by telling myself "tight muscles are fast muscles." Maybe true, but my PT believes that my overly tight hamstrings were a contributing factor to my injury.

Say it ain't so! I stopped stretching a few years ago because you never did. My hamstrings are very tight, it's embarrassing to get tested on flexibility. But I don't go the speeds you do so it probably means more - but don't most elites do dynamic stretching, not static?

John from what I read and talking with my PT and my preference I like to have a good balance of both static and dynamic stretching. As for the Elites I think it is a mixed back on how they approach stretching.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:47 am

JohnP wrote:

I still don't believe distance runners need to be flexible, but I do think there's a necessary minimum level of flexibility needed. And I may have crossed the bad side of that threshold .

Ugh, I'll consider yoga.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Dave-O wrote: Ugh, I'll consider yoga.

Let me know the first time you go do this because I'm sure this will be a site to see!

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Y O G A. I need to get back to it too.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Schuey wrote:
Dave-O wrote: Ugh, I'll consider yoga.

Let me know the first time you go do this because I'm sure this will be a site to see!

+1
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 am

Dave-O wrote:
JohnP wrote:

I still don't believe distance runners need to be flexible, but I do think there's a necessary minimum level of flexibility needed. And I may have crossed the bad side of that threshold .

Ugh, I'll consider yoga.

Yoga is good for some other things too Razz

Just sayin'
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 am

ChasMcG wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
JohnP wrote:

Ugh, I'll consider yoga.

Just sayin'

Oh boy chas is back
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 am

ChasMcG wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
JohnP wrote:

Ugh, I'll consider yoga.

Just sayin'

And THAT is why I love you! Smile
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:11 am

Whenever I'm feeling extra tight, I just lay on my back, get a towel around my foot and pull it back (similar to the wall thing that someone else mentioned). My leg usually shakes and goes into spasms, but it does stretch the hell out of it.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 am

GregC wrote:Whenever I'm feeling extra tight, I just lay on my back, get a towel around my foot and pull it back (similar to the wall thing that someone else mentioned). My leg usually shakes and goes into spasms, but it does stretch the hell out of it.

This is what the PT has told me to do after every run. It hurts and I dread it. But alas, I need to keep working on it.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am

We use the foam roller a lot on the hamstring muscles. The other thing our podiatrist/sports doctor told us to do was us a super ball to release trigger points. She gave us one she got from a party supply store and it's about 3 inches in diameter (maybe 4). She told us if we use it to release tightness in our hamstrings, we need to place it on the floor and move it around on the muscle as we sit on it. It works well for hitting tight IT bands too. You place the ball on the wall and lean the outside of your hip into it and apply pressure.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Dave-O wrote:
GregC wrote:Whenever I'm feeling extra tight, I just lay on my back, get a towel around my foot and pull it back (similar to the wall thing that someone else mentioned). My leg usually shakes and goes into spasms, but it does stretch the hell out of it.

This is what the PT has told me to do after every run. It hurts and I dread it. But alas, I need to keep working on it.

Legs up the wall - same result - less effort on your part. Just run you legs up a wall for 10 to 20 minutes and relax by watching TV or have your wife feed you grapes!
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 pm

charles wrote:

Legs up the wall - same result - less effort on your part. Just run you legs up a wall for 10 to 20 minutes and relax by watching TV or have your wife feed you grapes!

The problem with the legs on the wall is that I can't get to a 90 degree angle. Pathetic, I know...
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:12 pm

charles wrote:
Dave-O wrote:

Let me guess....waving you with palm branches? Smile
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Dave-O wrote:
charles wrote:

The problem with the legs on the wall is that I can't get to a 90 degree angle. Pathetic, I know...

Assuming your wife is feeding you grapes . . . (1) move your butt back further away from the wall and work toward 90 degrees and/or (2) put a couple of pillows or folded blankets under your butt. Putting pillows under you will take a lot of the pressure/strain/pull off the hamstring where it meets the glute and allow you to work more of the meat of the hamstring muscles.
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:....waving you with palm branches? Smile
Yeah . . . this too farao
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Dave-O wrote:
charles wrote:

You could also try Youtube to find more dynamic stretches.

The simplest way to help you stretch the hammie would involve some help from da spouse. Have her hold your leg at 60-70 degrees (or whatever you can reach on your own) to provide resistance while you give 60-70% of your extension strength. Hold for 5-6 seconds and then relax. Meanwhile, she pushes your leg even higher stretching your hamstring(not to any pain level). Repeat until you get to 90 degrees.

This "contract-relax" stuff works great when you have a stiff neck, too. The technical name is "reciprocal disinhibition."

Yeah, yeah, there are lots of jokes in what I just said. Let's hope nobody goes there. Twisted Evil
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Dang, that is inflexible!

Are there any yoga classes especially for runners? We have those here.

I'll stretch in front of the TV, too, even without the grapes. It takes patience. Sometimes if you contract your quads then relax them while doing a hamstring stretch, that causes your body to relax into the stretch further.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next