365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race

3 posters

Go down

New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race Empty New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race

Post  Kenny B. Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:51 pm

My last 5 mile was over the summer and my last race was Philly Marathon in Nov. It's been 6 weeks of basically post marathon running with sprinkles of light speed work and low mileage.

This course is notorious for being off 2 years ago it was short by quite a bit this year I think a bit long but not sure since it is not certified.

My garmin had me at 5.11 and typically for 5 mile race I am at 5.05. Also had me hitting splits of 7:00, 6:54, 6:55, 6:54, 6:48 which was my plan but even that was a bit conservative considering my recent HM was 1:32.

The course was out and back on the boardwalk 6x. Yep. half a mile out, and half a mile back. This definitely slowed me down on the 180 degree turnarounds.

The weather was pretty ideal 53 degrees, light wind a bit of drizzle at end. I can't say I gave it my all on this. I could have kicked it up a bit on each mile but for some reason I was waiting and waiting and by the time I did the race was 4 1/2 miles done. I had a strong kick at the end passing many. At no point did my legs feel tired but I did feel it endurance wise or condition wise I guess.

Now based on my splits I am running a 34:31 but even that would have been a bit soft.

I end the year with a new 5 mile PR 34:59 unofficially breaking the 35 min barrier and now I go into marathon training.

I have been absent from forum a bit considering my high level of past use, but I anticipate I will be back come Monday to start new blog and start following others as we hit off the new year!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race Empty Re: New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race

Post  Peg Coover Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Great way to end the year! And start a new one! Congrats!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race Empty Re: New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race

Post  Chris M Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Not a bad run to end the year. Hey, the local DC running magazine had a nice prominent mention of 365 Competitors getting a deal with the Nation's Triathalon to offer insurance. See below. Congrats on that too along with the year ending PR!

New Years Eve - 5 Mile Polar Bear Race Wrr210
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Chris,

Thanks! Yes we will be featured a few things once they officially launch some press releases. Some exciting stuff going on!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down