365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick before my half

5 posters

Go down

Sick before my half Empty Sick before my half

Post  Stephanie Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 pm

My first half marathon is 12 days away and I am dying from an evil cold/flu. I managed to get my last long run in on Dec. 24 before I got too sick but I haven't been able to run since. I have no energy and can't see myself running anytime soon. Obviously I am at the mercy of this flu and whatever will be will be, but is there anything I can do to ensure my half isn't totally ruined? I've successfully followed my training program up until this point but not running this week because I am feeling so weak & exhausted isn't exactly a good thing. I'll take this over an injury any day though. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Sick before my half Empty Re: Sick before my half

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:45 pm

If your last long run was on the 24th, you've only lost 3 days. I wouldn't think losing that and even a few more to help recover would have much of an impact. There is a "rule" stating something like a cold above the neck it is OK to run, but if it is below the neck, be careful (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--9082-0,00.html). If you haven't lost much training time until now, I wouldn't think a week lost would ruin everything. Hope you recover quickly - what a way to spend Christmas No

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:53 pm

There's not much you can do, other than baby your body. Rest, drink plenty of fluids, create a running blog, etc.

Don't fret about running because, like you said, you have no energy. Use your energy to heal. You may not be well enough to really run like a criminal on "COPS" for your 1/2, but if you run now, you'll guarantee it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Rest and feel better. I'm sorry you got sick. If it's of any encouragement, 2 days before my first full I had an awful cold with so much sneezing it was so awful and the day before also felt like something ran over me and it all came together on race day. Try to get lots of sleep between then and now and keep drinking plenty of water.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:34 pm

The good news is that the last 10-12 days aren't for fitness gains anyway, so if you're healthy, your fitness gained will still be there.

Take it one day at a time. Hydrate as much as possible, and when you're able, start getting in as many calories as you can. In my experience, once the flu is gone, you can "pull it together" in about 48-72 hours. So you have plenty of time.

Any chance for a Dr's appointment and antibiotics?

And just FYI - Shalane Flanagan had food poisoning the week before she took home the Olympic Bronze. Cool
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the words and stories of hope everyone! From the sounds of it my half isn't in jeopardy if Julie & Shalane can survive Very Happy even though I still haven't been able to run. I've been forcing down the protein shakes as much as I can even though I still have no appetite. I got a doctor's note so I'm off for the rest of my shifts this week so I plan on continuing to get lots of sleep. Damn flu... it was a near perfect training program.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:27 pm

I bet you'll still do well. I don't really belong in the same sentence as Shalane but you did make me smile.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down