365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rock Cut 5K

+2
Jerry
fostever
6 posters

Go down

Rock Cut 5K Empty Rock Cut 5K

Post  fostever Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:36 am

Rock Cut Survivor Trail Series 5K

This is the first of 4 races one each month that progress by 5K distance and difficulty.

This is my second year at doing the complete series. I found these races in February 2010 only doing the final 2 races that year to help prepare for Boston. Last year was 15F degrees and abount 4 inches of snow on the trail. I got out slow and got boxed in last year. This year I was determined to get a good start and ride with it. Last year I decided to buy spikes after the second race because much of these races cover ice and all kinds of trail obstacles. So I got out fast and stuck to a solid pace and tried to hang on to it. One thing about these shorter races you feel like everything is burning. Yesterday my lungs and chest is what felt the worst. The course was very much rolling hills in and out of woods and fields, a true cross county course. The race director always throws in a log jump and a branch to go under. I just held the pace and when we got out to the final little loop before heading to the finish I decided to do a final push passing this guy who was in front of me the whole race. As soon as I passed him he sprinted to pass me back. That's when I noticed he was in my age group by his AG tag that we all have pinned to our backs. I decided at that point to tailgate until the final 50 yards or so and then see if I could out kick him. It work as he must have used up all his energy passing me back. As I sprinted through the chute I noticed the clock ticking just past 20 minutes so unofficial time was 20:02 or 03 (6:28 pace.) I assumed 2nd AG as this very fast guy (1:22 half marathoner) usually takes first in the 50-54 AG here. However after getting through the shoot he walked up from behind me apparently finishing second. So ended up 1st AG 20th overall and picking up the $25 prize. Should make for a fun and interesting competition for rest of the series. This was a 3:45 or so improvement over last year, of course conditions were much better this year with temps in the mid 30'sF and only a dusting of snow.santa
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Rock Cut 5K Empty Re: Rock Cut 5K

Post  Jerry Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Money is niceļ¼
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Congrats on the AG win and the $$$!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:30 pm

A 20 minute trail 5K with obstacles? Wow. You need to get out on a flat road course soon. You'll be down in the 18s or lower.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Chris M wrote:A 20 minute trail 5K with obstacles? Wow. You need to get out on a flat road course soon. You'll be down in the 18s or lower.
Thanks all. Yeah Chris, I was thinking the same thing. Haven't ran a road 5K since I was in my 20's.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:23 am

$$ Very Happy
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:59 am

Congrats - that is a heck of a performance!!! 5Ks are brutal...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down