365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Run for the Library 5K

+6
sobele
fostever
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Jeff F
10 posters

Go down

Run for the Library 5K Empty Run for the Library 5K

Post  Jeff F Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 am

This is the only 5K I typically run each year. It is a fundraiser for the local library that is co-sponsored by the Rotary Club I used to belong to. Actually, I helped start this event about 5-6 years ago but I am no longer involved with this event with the exception of setting up the course since the course signs were still stored in my garage. That won’t happen again, as I refused to bring them home this year.

I was somewhat ambivalent about this race. I have been training for Tecumseh and had an abysmal long run last weekend, so I had lost my motivation for running this past week. I actually did not run once between last Sunday and this race. My approach was to show up and decide what I was going to do in the first mile. My 5K PR, which I ran last year at this event, is 20:30 but I had no aspirations of breaking that.

I got up early to get to the event at 7:00 a.m. to help set up the course for a 9:00 a.m. start. After placing the signs throughout the Lake of the Woods Park (which took maybe 15 minutes), I sat around the registration area visiting and then sat in my car listening to some music to get me in the mood. About 45 minutes before the start I went for a warm up run around the course. It was a pretty decent day for November in Illinois; temperature in the upper 40’s but with a pretty strong wind (15-20 mph). Luckily, the course is guarded by trees most of the way except for a couple of spots including the last stretch along the dam just before the finish line where I knew we would be running directly into the wind.

After my warm up lap around the course I took off my sweat pants and one of my long sleeve shirts and decided to go without gloves. At the start line with about 200 other runners we all sang the anthem together and then we were off. Of course the high school cross country runners took off out in front and I tried to settle into a comfortable pace behind them, I am guessing there were about 20-25 runners in front of me. The first mile has several pretty good hills but I was able to stay comfortable and by the end of the first mile I pass a couple of runners. Split for the first mile was 6:47 which I already know is off my PR pace. The second mile begins with a hill that curves around the golf course and then flattens out for a section that crosses the covered bridge (this is a very scenic course). As with all 5K’s I begin to feel the pain and I work on staying relaxed while maintaining my pace. I don’t remember passing many runners in the second mile, but I know no one passed me. I hit mile #2 at 7:14, so I am giving some time back but this is typical for me. As we pass the mile marker we have a long downhill and I begin to focus on the runners in front of me. We then cross back over the bridge and pass the golf course; I manage to pick off a couple of younger runners. As we come up the last hill to the dam I hear someone cheer on a runner behind me and as she passes me I see it is someone I know. I decide I can’t let her beat me and pick up the pace hoping she can’t match me. I luck out and pass her but based upon the cheers of the people on the dam she must be trying to stay with me so I continue to press on. Finally, we approach the finish line and I cross in 21:25. As I look back she is right behind me, followed by another runner in my age group. I ran mile #3 in 7:05 and the last .1 was at 6:39 pace. Not bad for an old fart. I thought that might be good enough to place in my age group because I didn’t see many gray hairs in front of me.

I attempted to stick around for the award ceremony, but after waiting for over an hour my patience ran out and I wanted to get home to watch Nebraska play Michigan (I should have skipped watching that game). Later in the day I checked the official results online and I actually won my AG. My official time was 21:25 and the two people behind me finished in 21:27. I was 22/187 overall.

I will attempt to post the picture of the three of us just before the finish line.

Run for the Library 5K Run_fo10
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Run for the Library 5K Empty Re: Run for the Library 5K

Post  Peg Coover Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:36 am

Congrats Jeff! Nice run! And, great to win the AG!

As for the Nebraska game.....ouch. puke. blah.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 am

Congrats on the run and AG win!!! Not bad for not feeling ready for a 5K - it just means you are ready for Tecumseh. Sorry about the Cornhuskers, but I am one who never believes the hype about them especially after seeing them man-handled by Georgia and Tech in some recent bowl games. My husband would curse me though for being happy that Michigan and Penn State won (he is an Ohioan after all).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Good job Jeff and good report. AG win to boot - well done!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 pm

You are an "old fart," ahhh just kidding, like I'm not. Nice time for an old fart too! Congrats on the AG win. Like me, you probably will take them any time you can snatch one, great effort!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  sobele Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:33 am

Congratulations on a great race!
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:57 am

Congrats on the AG win, Jeff! I wouldn't wait a minute as it appeared to be too cold to me. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Sounds like you had a good day considering you weren't really in the mood to run. Nice AG win...enjoyed your report.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Great job on the AG award, Jeff!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse