365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Less Is Best? Fueling

+12
charles.moman
Julie
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
Nick Morris
Diego
Gobbles
ounce
healdgator
John Kilpatrick
Schuey
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Less Is Best? Fueling - Page 2 Empty Re: Less Is Best? Fueling

Post  healdgator Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:50 pm

An update on my experience. I ordered the S Caps and used them on my long runs and during the Marathon, generally taking in 1 before the race/run and 1 every hour. I took a total of 4 during the marathon at roughly miles 6, 12, 17, and 21. I never got the immediate energy increase, but I do believe it helped me avoid the collapse I had during the first marathon I ran. I certainly felt no negative effects from them.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am

We're all an experiment of one - right?

Anyone who knows my history knows that I have a huge issue with balancing my electrolytes & staying out of the med tents in marathons. I read a lot of articles, including many from Hammer Nutrition. I was sold on the Endurolytes & believed all the negative press on simple sugars & other bad aspects of Gatorade/ PowerAde. I believed that pills/ water/ avoiding non all-natural drinks were the way to go. Although I believe that is good for some, I can't deny my actual experiences & what happened during the Disney marathon.

Eating a light breakfast 3 hours before a race, & 3 to 4 gels during the race works for me as far as calories/ energy goes. However, when it comes to my electrolytes, the pills are not doing it for me. I have experimented with different quantities of the Endurolytes at varying intervals. That's all with varying the quantity of water too. Over my 7 completed marathons, nothing has worked. That is until I took in 3 full cups of PowerAde & a cup of water at Disney. (See my Goofy race report for the unbelievable result.) It may not be the answer for others, but I believe I have finally found out what works for me. 2012 will be the year to test this new found knowledge in order to finally get that long awaited new PR.

http://www.365runners.com/t1232-goofy-was-awesome
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Less Is Best? Fueling - Page 2 Empty Less is Best? Fueling

Post  arnelgonce Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 pm

This is a very interesting topic. I tried Hammer Perpetuem 2 hours before a long run and 30 minutes into it my blood sugar plummeted to the point where I had to abandon my run and have my husband pick me up. I'm thinking I used too much and waited too long after drinking to begin my run. I have an incredibly sensitive stomach, and haven't found anything except for the beans that I can tolerate without wanting to hurl. I can't even seem to process much water when I run, and powerade and electrolyte drinks are out of the question, can't tolerate those either. Looking forward to trying the muscle milk combo to see how that works.
Since I'm new at all this, I had actually run all my long runs up to 20 on an empty stomach, and with no fuel along. I realized I needed to do something, but trying to figure out what has been tricky.

arnelgonce

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 pm

arnelgonce wrote:This is a very interesting topic. I tried Hammer Perpetuem 2 hours before a long run and 30 minutes into it my blood sugar plummeted to the point where I had to abandon my run and have my husband pick me up. I'm thinking I used too much and waited too long after drinking to begin my run. I have an incredibly sensitive stomach, and haven't found anything except for the beans that I can tolerate without wanting to hurl. I can't even seem to process much water when I run, and powerade and electrolyte drinks are out of the question, can't tolerate those either. Looking forward to trying the muscle milk combo to see how that works.
Since I'm new at all this, I had actually run all my long runs up to 20 on an empty stomach, and with no fuel along. I realized I needed to do something, but trying to figure out what has been tricky.

If you are having problems with the electrolyte drinks maybe try the Fizz by Hammer. I used that stuff for JFK 50 this year and loved it. Also the good thing is that you can mix the Fizz with the Perpetuem which can help smooth the taste out again I did it JFK knowing I need to take in protein for such a long run. Also you know they make the Perpetuem in a tablet forum called Soilds which might also be a little easier on your stomach. Just a though and yes trying to figure out the right things to take before, during and after a run could take some time to master. I'm lucky that my stomach doesn't give me much of an issue. Although again during my 50 miler about 40 miles in I had to stop taking in the Perpetuem cause it just seemed to be to much which means I have to figure out the right amount and timing of if during a 50 miler.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 am

arnelgonce wrote:This is a very interesting topic. I tried Hammer Perpetuem 2 hours before a long run and 30 minutes into it my blood sugar plummeted to the point where I had to abandon my run and have my husband pick me up. I'm thinking I used too much and waited too long after drinking to begin my run. I have an incredibly sensitive stomach, and haven't found anything except for the beans that I can tolerate without wanting to hurl. I can't even seem to process much water when I run, and powerade and electrolyte drinks are out of the question, can't tolerate those either. Looking forward to trying the muscle milk combo to see how that works.

Schuey has some great thoughts here.

However, in training I don't think you absolutely need anything for a typical long run except water. Assuming you get plenty of carbs the night before and again a few hours before a long, slow run you should be able to get through with just water. However, if you are having problem with that too then that is a much larger issue you need to address.

You may want to speak with a sports nutrionist to understand what is going on. This is going to hamper your ability to train at a higher level I believe.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum