365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York, New York, A Race Report

+13
Mark B
Sara Jane
healdgator
Michael Enright
ounce
Jim Lentz
Natalie
Seth Harrison
Chris M
Julie
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Randy E
17 posters

Go down

New York, New York, A Race Report Empty New York, New York, A Race Report

Post  Randy E Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:32 pm

NEW YORK MARATHON

The New York Marathon was a special race. It was challenging for me because of the long uphill and downhill sections. Probably also challenging because it was the third marathon for me in 8 weeks.
I took the Staten Island Ferry to Staten Island where the athletes village was located. I would recommend this mode of transportation if you run NY. It's fun and different.
NY is an interesting course. The start is about 1+ mile uphill over a bridge. For those that hate hills they would not like this start at all. The views are great though as you run across the bridge. So, after taxing your hamstrings the first mile you crest the top of the bridge and start a long descent to warm up the quads. This is where I decided to make up for the slow first mile. I made it up and kept on cruising as long as I could. It seemed that cruising at 7:40 mi. pace was very comfortable even though my goal pace was 7:50 mi. I thought, "let's bank some miles if it feels good." That's what I did. Whenever I thought it might be smart to slow down a bit I would crest another hill and have a downhill stretch that I wanted to capitalize on. So, I did not slow down.
My goal was to do as well as I could and shoot for a PR. I did not have to try for a BQ because I booked a solid one at Chicago.
So, I just ran and enjoyed the scenery and crowd. As the miles clicked by I was doing pretty well but at approximately mile 22 things started to change. My legs were really starting to feel it. The calves and quads were shouting enough to make me recall parts of favorite quotes to spur me on. "Break through the obstruction," and "pain is temporary," were two I recall using.
I really liked when I turned left on to 5th avenue because I knew Central Park would be coming up. The quads, calves and hip were in pain. This might sound crazy but I have come to enjoy or love battling through the tough times and pain.
Keep pushing, keep pushing. I thought of Chrissie Wellington and her victory at Kona this year. I thought about how hard Mirinda Carfrae tried to catch Chrissie. All these thoughts flooding the mind. All of the faces in the crowd watching the struggle, shouting words of encouragement, not just to me but to all of us. It was awesome. I can still picture some of the faces.
The right turn into Central Park meant only a few more miles remained. Let me tell you this, Central Park has some very nice hills that will test you near the end of a marathon. When your legs are hurting going downhill really sucks. Soon I passed the 24th and then the 25th mile banners. Up and down I went. Legs starting to slow. Just keep fighting. Then the 26th mile banner appeared. Whew almost done. Still in much pain but getting closer. There would be no sprint to the finish for me. I just kept pushing and enjoying the moment. Signs showing 800 meters, 400 meters, 300 yards, 200 yards, let you know how much further before the finish.
These were some of the longest 100 yard distances ever. I could finally see the finish line and was both excited and a little sad. The race was over and so was my season. I crossed the line and exhaled a sigh of relief. Not a PR but a great effort. That's all I can ask for. Finish time: 3:33:35.
It seems like right after I finish a race the body is buzzing. I'm sure the endorphins are going crazy. I gingerly walked forward and just took it all in. I actually got emotional thinking about what an incredible year I had and how fortunate I was. The tears just built to a point that I had to cover my mouth and just bend over and let them flow. These moments are so special and the feelings inside are priceless.Then I got my medal and slowly proceeded through the park to gear pick up.
So, that's it. My competitive season is over. What a great year it has been. I competed in the Boston Marathon, Ironman Kansas 70.3, Ironman Racine 70.3, Ironman Wisconsin, Chicago Marathon and New York Marathon. I also qualified for Boston again which I look forward to next April.
I feel so lucky to have done all of this and remain healthy. Right now I will concentrate on recovery and taking it easy. Next year will be another doozy.
Thanks for reading and enjoy the holidays in great health and happiness.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

New York, New York, A Race Report Empty Re: New York, New York, A Race Report

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Randy E wrote: . This is where I decided to make up for the slow first mile. I made it up and kept on cruising as long as I could. It seemed that cruising at 7:40 mi. pace was very comfortable even though my goal pace was 7:50 mi. I thought, "let's bank some miles if it feels good." That's what I did. Whenever I thought it might be smart to slow down a bit I would crest another hill and have a downhill stretch that I wanted to capitalize on. So, I did not slow down.

Although no where near 7:40, I know exactly what you mean here - almost impossible to slow down with the energy out there. Boston has its energy, but NY is very different (to me).

Congrats on an excellent race, Randy and on an incredible racing year. It was terrific to finally meet you and I look forward to seeing you again in April.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:01 pm

What an awesome report and what an awesome year, Randy. Sounds to me like an excellent marathon with some time to smell the roses. I completely understand the emotions flowing, although I haven't experienced 1/10 of the things that you have accomplished. Enjoy the down time!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Great job, Randy! You are a very strong athlete. Congratulations on another great marathon and a great year of racing.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Way to cap a great year of racing. You earned a big rest for your body so take time to recover and reflect on 2011 and hit 2012 ready for more great things. With the way you and other describe the NY marathon, I think I'm going to have to do it one of these years.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:23 am

Congratulations on capping off a great year with a tour of the 5 boroughs Randy! You did a sensational job with your 3rd marathon in such a short time.
I'm glad we got chat for second on the phone, but I'm sorry we didn't get to see each other post-race.
Again, congrats on a great race and great year.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 am

Randy, you have had an amazing year! I'm so proud of you! You actually make me think that maybe I should kick it up and improve my own game...
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:33 am

Great job on the marathon, Randy! It is especially impressive given the 3 marathons in 8 weeks.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Great job. Ought to be an interesting planning session for next year, after Boston.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Great job, as usual, Randy! Your comment about the emotions at the end resonated with me. I think it's really biochemical in my case (sort of like my wife's crazy post partum despression!) - suddenly I will be almost in tears, or in tears, and I'm by no means sad, just overwhelmed with uncontrolled emotion after the run, especially in about the first half hour.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Wow, great year Randy!
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm

It was so great meeting you, Randy!

And you are one tough cookie. The fitness feats you have accomplished in the past 2 months are, in a word, stunning.

Glad you enjoyed NYC so much!
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 pm

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but congratulations on an amazing race and an amazing year. I'm worn out just looking at it! Wink

I can't wait to see what you have planned for 2012.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:34 pm

You are a resilient man being able to do all those races and Ironman triathlons. Astounding. And consistently well run. Congratulations on a great race and a great race.
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Great race to finish up a great year! Thanks for sharing...I need those positive stories right now.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Randy, a great year. I hope to see you in IRonman Texas.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Wow, after all that Iron Man stuff you still bring home a solid finish on that tough NYC course. You inspire us old furts! Congrats, Randy!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Randy E wrote: . This is where I decided to make up for the slow first mile. I made it up and kept on cruising as long as I could. It seemed that cruising at 7:40 mi. pace was very comfortable even though my goal pace was 7:50 mi. I thought, "let's bank some miles if it feels good." That's what I did. Whenever I thought it might be smart to slow down a bit I would crest another hill and have a downhill stretch that I wanted to capitalize on. So, I did not slow down.

Although no where near 7:40, I know exactly what you mean here - almost impossible to slow down with the energy out there. Boston has its energy, but NY is very different (to me).

Congrats on an excellent race, Randy and on an incredible racing year. It was terrific to finally meet you and I look forward to seeing you again in April.

Hi Michele, it was great meeting you for the first time and I look forward to seeing you in Boston.

John Kilpatrick wrote:What an awesome report and what an awesome year, Randy. Sounds to me like an excellent marathon with some time to smell the roses. I completely understand the emotions flowing, although I haven't experienced 1/10 of the things that you have accomplished. Enjoy the down time!!!

Hi John, thanks for the response. It was a good marathon. Not sure if it was roses I was smelling or my legs leaking fluid. But, I was happy with the effort after all the stuff I did previously.

Julie wrote:Great job, Randy! You are a very strong athlete. Congratulations on another great marathon and a great year of racing.

Hi Julie and thanks. I hope to be able to have another great year in 2012.

Chris M wrote:Way to cap a great year of racing. You earned a big rest for your body so take time to recover and reflect on 2011 and hit 2012 ready for more great things. With the way you and other describe the NY marathon, I think I'm going to have to do it one of these years.

Hi Chris, you definitely have to put this race on your to do list. It's one of the marathon majors. It's a great experience.

Seth Harrison wrote:Congratulations on capping off a great year with a tour of the 5 boroughs Randy! You did a sensational job with your 3rd marathon in such a short time.
I'm glad we got chat for second on the phone, but I'm sorry we didn't get to see each other post-race.
Again, congrats on a great race and great year.

Thanks Seth. Congrats to you on your Philly race. Happy Thanksgiving. Hope your calf is feeling better.

Natalie wrote:Randy, you have had an amazing year! I'm so proud of you! You actually make me think that maybe I should kick it up and improve my own game...

Hi Natalie, you can kick it up if you so choose. It's all up to you. Thanks for your nice response.

Jim Lentz wrote:Great job on the marathon, Randy! It is especially impressive given the 3 marathons in 8 weeks.

Thanks Jim. I was kind of surprised at how well I was able to do in those 8 weeks. That was unchartered territory. But, now I know it's possible as long as we respect recovery and cross training.

ounce wrote:Great job. Ought to be an interesting planning session for next year, after Boston.

Yes Ounce, first Boston, then, IM TX in May, IM WI in Sept, Chicago Marathon in Oct and ending with IM Cozumel in November. May try to fit in one or two 70.3's in the summer. I will discuss with my coach.

Michael Enright wrote:Great job, as usual, Randy! Your comment about the emotions at the end resonated with me. I think it's really biochemical in my case (sort of like my wife's crazy post partum despression!) - suddenly I will be almost in tears, or in tears, and I'm by no means sad, just overwhelmed with uncontrolled emotion after the run, especially in about the first half hour.

Hi Michael, there certainly are uncontrollable emotions sometimes. Got to let it out.

healdgator wrote:Wow, great year Randy!

Thanks!!

Sara Jane wrote:It was so great meeting you, Randy!

And you are one tough cookie. The fitness feats you have accomplished in the past 2 months are, in a word, stunning.

Glad you enjoyed NYC so much!

Hi Sara, great meeting you as well and thanks for the nice words.

Mark B wrote:I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but congratulations on an amazing race and an amazing year. I'm worn out just looking at it! Wink

I can't wait to see what you have planned for 2012.

Hi Mark, thanks. Next year will be busy. I hope to stay healthy.

Vivian wrote:You are a resilient man being able to do all those races and Ironman triathlons. Astounding. And consistently well run. Congratulations on a great race and a great race.

Hi Vivian, thanks. I surprised myself as well.

nkrichards wrote:Great race to finish up a great year! Thanks for sharing...I need those positive stories right now.

NK, thanks.

Jerry wrote:Randy, a great year. I hope to see you in IRonman Texas.

Hi Jerry, I'll be there and look forward to meeting you.

fostever wrote:Wow, after all that Iron Man stuff you still bring home a solid finish on that tough NYC course. You inspire us old furts! Congrats, Randy!

I hear ya on that. I don't feel old though. Lets show the youngsters how it's done.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:29 pm

I hope you've heard it can be rather hot 'n humid in May at The Woodlands.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:33 am

ounce wrote:I hope you've heard it can be rather hot 'n humid in May at The Woodlands.

Good thing I like heat and humidity. One problem may be that I will not be fully acclimated to those conditions coming from Chicago. But, the fact that I like those conditions may give me a leg up on many others who dread those conditions.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down