365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A tune up race this Sunday question

3 posters

Go down

A tune up race this Sunday question Empty A tune up race this Sunday question

Post  ounce Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 am

This coming Sunday in Houston is a 26.2K race that I'm treating as a tune up for Houston, 9 weeks away, to see how my training is progressing. In past years as a hopeful 6 hour marathoner, I just had to pray I could make it to the finish line at a 13:45 pace.

This year, as a result of losing 30 pounds and a couple other important changes, I'm faster. I did an 18 mile long run two weeks ago where the 1st nine I did at a 13:07 pace and the last nine at a 12:42 pace (I've been intentionally trying to run the 2nd half of all my long runs as a negative split). The weather was in the 40's and my average heart rate was about 65% of max.

So, I'm sort of thinking I can do Houston at a 13 minute pace, which equates to about a 5:40 marathon. My question relates to McMillan's pace calculator. Now that I have a pace other than what it takes to beat 6 hours, do I look McMillan by inputting my goal marathon time (5:40) and the pace for a 25K of 12:30 is what I should be targeting for Sunday?

And if y'all have any other recommendations as to pace, I'm all ears. Thanks for your time. A tune up race this Sunday question 1078438882
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

A tune up race this Sunday question Empty Re: A tune up race this Sunday question

Post  Julie Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 pm

I think you could do a 12:30 pace 25K you just did 9 miles after already running 9 just slightly slower than that. Either way I don't think you're at a risk of blowing up at that pace and if you're close but didn't quite hit it that's not a big deal usually (unless you make it one).

For marathon pace I have learned to go by feel and to start at a pace that feels very sustainable. If the weather isn't right, you're ill, or whatever else, you need to adjust to what feels right then.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

A tune up race this Sunday question Empty Re: A tune up race this Sunday question

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:23 pm

But isn't it a little bit too early?

Apparently your training is working, keep doing what you are doing, oz.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down