365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

250 miles a week?

+3
Neil Ruggiero
Jerry
Ben Z
7 posters

Go down

250 miles a week? Empty 250 miles a week?

Post  Ben Z Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Do you believe this?

http://www.nyrrmedia.org/Beyond-The-Stats-profiles/beyond-the-stats-stephen-muzhingi.html
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

250 miles a week? Empty Re: 250 miles a week?

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:28 am

Didn't know you are a BPL fan, Ben. 250 miles a week? 424776184
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 am

Wow, that is simply amazing!
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 am

Yeah, I believe it. If the miles are done slowly enough and he's banging out 25-45 at a time, it can be done. Not by me, but by one of the best ultra runners - sure.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 am

Hmm, I guess his job is running? And if you are going to run and win Comrades that many times, thane this is probably the type of mileage you need to put in if possible - simply amazing.

(And my guess he doesn't run those miles that slowly).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Jerry wrote:Didn't know you are a BPL fan, Ben. 250 miles a week? 424776184

Huge. And I'm a Gunners fan for life (now if only RVP would sign on for a few more years). I cried when we lost Cesc this summer.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:05 pm

We can all do the simple math but that is 35 miles/day everyday of the week!

I don't care how slow you run it because being able to recover from that amount of mileage, even if broken up in to double and triple runs each day, is super impressive.

And if the guy can somehow run under 2:12 in NYC this weekend I will be even more impressed. Marathoners and ultra-marathoners are unbelievably fast these days. It's really incredible what has happened the last few years.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 pm

looks like I found my 2013 Comrade training plan.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Ben Z wrote:We can all do the simple math but that is 35 miles/day everyday of the week!

No doubt that running 35 miles/day has to be a huge challenge for anyone but if you are time managing things right can be done. Not only that I would also have to think that you would have to really love to run and be mentally tough to get out the door everyday to be aging 15 miles a day.

I have notice that racking up mileage for a Ultra is different then for a marathon. Sure the training is almost the same as far as the approach and workouts go. But it has been common of late for me to rack up anywhere from 50 to 70 miles just on two runs (1 on Sat and 1 on Sun.) But again in this guys case even if he is running a 25 and 45 mile run on the weekend that is only 80 miles which means he still have 170 miles to cover in 5 days which is still a huge avg. 34 miles/per day.

I don't care how slow you run it because being able to recover from that amount of mileage, even if broken up in to double and triple runs each day, is super impressive.

It is impressive but at the same time it is still a lot different from the stress of high intensity workouts in my opinion. Also if one is taking care of the nutrient and recover phase after runs the body should recover very quickly. Again I'm not running 250 miles a week but since I have dialed in my after run recovery much better I have noticed that I'm able to knock out the back to back and even at times the back to back to back long runs of 20 to 30 miles and still feel pretty darn good. The body is an amazing thing and the more you subject it to something and listen to it, I feel the more that it can change to what it is being put through. Also I would think the key thing with the long slow miles is that the body is being given a chance to learn how to metabolize which in return the better the body gets at that during the run and the runner is hydrating and taking in fuel the right way the body doesn't break down as bad. Again it is all about dialing these things in and learn your body during these long runs.

Think about if you go and read about any but especially the top elite ultra runners a lot of them talk about how when they are feeling bad or things are going bad during a race it has to do with fueling and stomach issues. And then there is a point were when they get the fueling dialed in during a race wham it is like you just put premium gas in the tank. This past years Western Sates 100 is a good example of this when Ellie Greenwood was 29 mins off the lead with 38 miles to go. She went from feeling really bad and having stomach issue and ended up turning it round by taking in the right fuel and calories and went on to win the race. My point may seem to be vague but again I think that with Ultra running and spending the time training you can really change the body to do things you would think that it can't. Really think about it people run 100 mile plus races and then turn around go right back into training of 100 mile plus weeks.

And if the guy can somehow run under 2:12 in NYC this weekend I will be even more impressed. Marathoners and ultra-marathoners are unbelievably fast these days. It's really incredible what has happened the last few years.

No doubt and to be honest we will see Ultra times come down even more and see more and more of those course recorders fall in the future.

Oh also looks like something new for me to look at as far as training. There is no doubt that my focus is going to be changing more to the Ultra distance and hitting the trails more. I will always run marathons and race some but there is something about the Ultra distances and the differences in the races and course that have my attention.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:43 pm

He ran a 2:29:10 in NY today.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down