365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mmmmmm, mud. Tasty

+5
Michele "1L" Keane
Neil Ruggiero
Alex Kubacki
T Miller
Tom H
9 posters

Go down

Mmmmmm, mud.   Tasty Empty Mmmmmm, mud. Tasty

Post  Tom H Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Ran the Sacramento Merrell 5k Down and Dirty Mud Run this weekend with my daughter Katie. This race marks a return to running for both of us. For her it was her first race after giving birth 3 months ago, for me, my first one since Eugene which was followed by nagging injuries. I've taken the last month off from running pretty much completely to let things have a chance to heal, with just elliptical work to stay fit and a few short slow treadmill runs of late to get things stretched out. We planned to run at Katie's pace so was perfect for me to not push things.

If you've never done a 5k mud run, you need to do a mud run. It is a real blast and a really different atmosphere that is full of friends and is really relaxed. Since this one was the day before halloween, there were plenty of folks in costume which just added to the atmosphere. The race was really well run and the start had about 9 waves separated by 2-5 minutes to allow obstacles to be cleared before the next wave arrived.

We had no pace planned, just to run at whatever Katie felt was comfortable. That being said, she did push it such that at the end she felt that this race was a real workout and that she is ready to get back in the running saddle.

We ended up with a time of about 47 minutes with all the obstacles. In order of appearance the obstacles were: Low crawl, Low wall to scale, short but steep hills, a ladder wall about 10' high, cargo net climb, mud pit #1 with flags hanging over the mud and a drill instructor yelling out "put you face in the mud - stay under the flags!!", tunnels, a slog through the shallows (up to 4' deep) of the lake, "slippery mountain" which was an 8' tall 45 degree wall that was well lubed so that you had to pull yourself up ropes on your belly, then mudpit #2 which was surrounded many deep by spectators. After that was the mad dash to the finish. Then the ongoing discovery of mud in every crack and orifice. Again and again. What did it all look like once done? Something like this:

Mmmmmm, mud.   Tasty Dad_an10

No, I'm not really tanned. And while I do have a gap between my front teeth, it is NOT as wide as the picture suggests. That's mud. Mmmmmm, tasty.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Mmmmmm, mud.   Tasty Empty Re: Mmmmmm, mud. Tasty

Post  T Miller Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:14 am

That looks and sounds like great fun. Thanks for the report and it is great to hear that you're back to running.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am

Awesome picture. Looks like a lot of fun. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:27 am

Congrat son the fun race! I just recently did one muyself, most fun race I've EVER done.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:38 am

Nice going, Tom - looks like you guys had fun!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am

That sounds like a great time -- and the photo of you and Katie is fantastic. You need to frame it!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Very cool event, nice job.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:46 pm

what a blast
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Nice tan! great race, congrats and fun too, looks like!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum