365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At what temperature do you race in tights?

+21
ounce
Jim Lentz
healdgator
Nick Morris
Liz R
mountandog
carleenp
Jenny O
JohnP
Kenny B.
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Glenn
Julie
Jerry
Mark B
Admin
Diego
Bob
T Miller
Sara Jane
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 Empty Re: At what temperature do you race in tights?

Post  Liz R Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:35 am

Late to the party, but I wouldn't race in tights unless the temp were in the low thirties throughout. If it will rise to the fifties by the end, you won't need tights. Lots of good advice on keeping your top half warm. I'd focus on that, plus wear warm clothes before the start. I took a plastic garbage bag and an old blanket for the sitting around time before the start. The ground was damp. I also took the newspaper---to read, not to cover up with.

If it is rainy or damp, think about holding on to your hat and gloves throughout the race. I generate a lot of heat when I run, too, but my hands will get too cold if it is wet out.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 Empty Re: At what temperature do you race in tights?

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Definitely below 30...That would be my magic number.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:27 pm

If it's below 30, I'm not leaving the house without a parka. And I don't own a parka.

When I started my long run on Sunday morning, it was in the 50s. My hands got cold.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Sara Jane wrote:Again, thank for all the ideas! At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 424776184 Matt, you have me maybe wanting to buy those $15 arm warmers at the expo. I don't need chaffing!

As for throwaways -it's kinda funny. I actually didn't have anything, so my mom and sister are both sending me boxes filled with stuff. Some is even some tech stuff my sister got at some 5Ks that don't fit. And her teenager's nice Woolrich fleece top that he outgrew but she had in her goodwill box! So I'll be hittin' the island in style. At least it all gets donated. And it feels nice sometimes to donate some nicer stuff and not just junk you wore to death!

OK, so...note to self, check for cheap arm warmers at the expo. Now, I've never ever warn them before...ever. I know that breaks a cardinal rule, but...

So...excited. (If you can't tell!) This is marathon #6, but I don't think I've ever been excited.

At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 4044942068
I wore arm warmers for the first time at Chicago and set a PR--so there you go.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Diego wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:Again, thank for all the ideas! At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 424776184 Matt, you have me maybe wanting to buy those $15 arm warmers at the expo. I don't need chaffing!

As for throwaways -it's kinda funny. I actually didn't have anything, so my mom and sister are both sending me boxes filled with stuff. Some is even some tech stuff my sister got at some 5Ks that don't fit. And her teenager's nice Woolrich fleece top that he outgrew but she had in her goodwill box! So I'll be hittin' the island in style. At least it all gets donated. And it feels nice sometimes to donate some nicer stuff and not just junk you wore to death!

OK, so...note to self, check for cheap arm warmers at the expo. Now, I've never ever warn them before...ever. I know that breaks a cardinal rule, but...

So...excited. (If you can't tell!) This is marathon #6, but I don't think I've ever been excited.

At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 4044942068

I wore arm warmers for the first time at Bayshore and scored a BQ--so there you go.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Bob wrote:
Diego wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:

I wore arm warmers for the first time at Bayshore and scored a BQ--so there you go.

Arm warmers it is!
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Update: I just ordered some arm warmers from Running Warehouse for $8.95, free, 2-day, shipping. I figure with the amount I've already spent on this marathon extravaganza I won't mind throwing $8.95 on the side of the road.

At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 2472758156 At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 2472758156 At what temperature do you race in tights? - Page 2 2472758156
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
As for arm warmers, the ONLY time I wore them I used old socks with the toe end cut out... I wore them through mile 15 then tossed them. It was a home town marathon. When I got home and stripped down, I realized that the top part of the socks had chafed me to the point that I was bleeding and raw. That shower HURT!!! Lesson learned.

I bought cheap arm warmers at an expo once and they chaffed the heck out of my upper arm. Very painful!!!

I strongly suggest testing any arm warmers before the race and using a lot of body glide with them!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:03 pm

For colder races I have worn a long sleeve running shirt and pushed the sleeves up as I warmed up. you need a shirt where the sleeves are snug. The race would be too warm for me to consider tights.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Liz R wrote:Late to the party, but I wouldn't race in tights unless the temp were in the low thirties throughout. If it will rise to the fifties by the end, you won't need tights. Lots of good advice on keeping your top half warm. I'd focus on that, plus wear warm clothes before the start. I took a plastic garbage bag and an old blanket for the sitting around time before the start. The ground was damp. I also took the newspaper---to read, not to cover up with.

If it is rainy or damp, think about holding on to your hat and gloves throughout the race. I generate a lot of heat when I run, too, but my hands will get too cold if it is wet out.

Generally my thought as well. I look at what the ending temperature is to be and dress for THAT temperature. I hate being too warm.

Good luck at the race!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:54 am

After all this - looking like it might be a bit warmer than it looked originally...I just hope it's dry - there's been so much rain!

Can't figure out how the photos work here, but the 10-day is showing high of 58 low of 47, partly cloudy.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:23 am

Someone is apparently having serious madness. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Weather looks good. No tights unless it's under 32. Probably no arm warmers either.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:16 pm

I don't race in the cold much just because I don't like to. But I've only wore tights once in a race. At the XC Masters champs in Spokane a few years ago, the windchill was below zero. I never took off my bottom layer after the warmup. What a horrible day! I've run the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago on a couple of really cold windy days. Probably in the 20's and heavy snow. It was shorts (with a double layer underneath) and a long sleeve shirt. I'm kind of old school so I haven't bought into the arm warmer thing yet...
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 pm

I walked by City Sports and couldn't resist buying some cute Nike arm warmers. They are so comfy! Can hardly tell they are there...I will likely wear them unless it is warmer than the 40s at the start. Gonna try them out on Sunday.

And yes, a little bit of madness going on here...if I could just ignore law school completely I could delve much further into said madness... bounce
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:57 pm

I need a little madness as I am much too calm - so pass some along. The weather does look pretty good right now. When I ran in 2005, it was in the 50s at the start and 60s at the end. I was happy that 5th Ave and the Park are pretty shaded, and we only noticed the rise in temps on 1st Ave.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I need a little madness as I am much too calm - so pass some along. The weather does look pretty good right now. When I ran in 2005, it was in the 50s at the start and 60s at the end. I was happy that 5th Ave and the Park are pretty shaded, and we only noticed the rise in temps on 1st Ave.

When I finished in 2008, my lips were blue. Literally. Partly because it took me 45 minutes to get my bag.

But hence my concerns. It was awful.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Madness, what madness? Seems like normal behavior for most of us.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:31 pm

If it's in the 30s for Disney again this year, I'm gonna punch Mickey in the face.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:05 pm

ok - I ran a 10k this morning that started at 30 degrees. Shorts no issue. Still trying to figure out the top half. Wore ls shirt that was tight knit with headband and gloves. Good for 3 miles. A bit warm for the last three.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Thought of this thread while getting dressed for my marathon this morning. About 40 degrees and 30 mph winds. Decided to wear the tights. Was worried I would get too hot. I was glad I had them, for the whole way. Only a few hardy souls went with exposed legs (including one 60+ fellow wearing only shorts/socks/shoes- barechested- but he stood out!). The wind and cloudiness made a big difference.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Perfect race temps to wear shorts and a singlet for me. I would probably start with light gloves and arm warmers too. Throw the gloves and roll down the arm warmers if necessary.

I like to wear tights below 45 degrees but that's in training when I am going slower and taking breaks.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Well this is really becoming a non-issue. Now showing low of 50 high of 60...

I was mostly concerned about low-40s at the start. I have horrible hamstring problems, have torn them both, and they get very tight, very fast, even when it's 90 degrees (but especially when it's cold!)...but, as stated, it's looking to be a non-issue.

Now I am just hoping it is cold enough for my cute new arm warmers...
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2