365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 in one month --Grand Rapids Marathon

5 posters

Go down

2 in one month --Grand Rapids Marathon Empty 2 in one month --Grand Rapids Marathon

Post  momof5boys Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:29 pm

All summer long whenever people would ask me what I was training for, the answer was always the same....The Oktoberfest Marathon in Spring Lake. Aren't you running GR? No, I'm won't be unless Spring Lake is hot.

I did run in Spring Lake on Sept. 17 --with a 4.04. Done. Finished. Recover. Rest. Cheer on the GR runners while watching from the sidelines. Nice. I thought I would greatly enjoy the feeling of already having run my marathon while others had miles to go. I was wrong. As the GR marathon got closer, and more and more people were asking me if I was running it, I developed a very warped sense of "race envy" and I just couldn't shake it. I began to wonder if I could run another one --4 weeks later. I thought that maybe I could if I just went to finish, but yet....there was no telling how the legs would feel running this close together. A 4.04, for me, is a fairly decent race, so it wasn't like a long run. I got in a long run of 7 after the marathon, then 12 the following week. Ok, good enough. I'll call this a new taper. I watched the weather forecast to make sure the weather was going to break (hot here too earlier), then signed up. The goal: finish, preferably under 4:30, but even that's hard to predict b/c my legs could be shot by mile 18 - 20. Who knows??

Race Day: John described the weather already. I was happy with the temps, glad it stopped raining, and thrilled that the wind advisories/gale force warnings from the day before, were gone.

My strategy may sound strange, but I kind-of figured I had just so much, how much I wasn't sure, time on my legs before they really hurt. So, it really wasn't as much about pacing, but more a matter of "get as far as I can in 2.5 - 3 hours, then suffer through to the end". I don't know if that counts as a strategy, but it's what I did.

Miles 1 - 4: 9.33, 9.12, 8.55, 9.02

Well, obviously that's not pacing. I'm all over the board still trying to figure out I how feel. I knew I didn't have that great taper feel, but I didn't feel awful --more like a run after a fall back week, feel. I initially was with the 4.15 pace team, then decided I didn't like pace teams, then decided I'd better just get those miles in. Carry on. Husband was at mile 4 with my first GU.

Miles 5 - 8: 8.53, 9.01, 9.06, 9.17

I've leveled off my pace slightly, run up a hill around mile 8, and bode the 1/2 marathoners farewell around that time as well. I was thinking that it might be wise to turn off with them...but, I'm here to see if I can run two marathons, not two races. So, forward.

Miles 9 - 13: 9.26, 9.21, 9.24, 9.24, 9.36

I think it's safe to say I "found my pace", but unfortunately, that will be about the end of the pacing at that pace. Miles 8 - 11 are rolling hills --nothing noteworthy if one is well trained, a killer when one is not. Husband leap-frogged me and met me at both miles 9 and 13 with my next GUs'. I will not get another down too easily again.
My 1/2 marathon time was a 2.02. I was very happy with that, but knew full well things were going south quickly. My legs were beginning to tire. A lot.

Miles 14 - 17: 9.37, 9.27, 9.46, 9.50

Well, I've managed to keep my mile splits under a 10mm. That will now end. I am extremely tired now. My legs are killing me, I hurt all over, and I cannot fathom the fact that I have almost 10 miles to go. From here on out it will become the biggest mind game marathon I've run. (this is #Cool. I got as far as I could --per my brilliant pacing strategy, lol, now how am I going to finish? So, I decide to bribe myself /convince myself that if I run to mile 20, then I can/will walk.

Miles 18 - 22: 10.06, 10.08, 10.25, 10.36, 10.30

I do not enjoy this stretch of the marathon even when I am enjoying the marathon. It's a looping section that carries on seemingly, forever. Truly this course must be mis-measured! (it's not). My husband is at the spectator zone around mile 18ish with my final GU. I can't get it down. I actually had to spit a bunch out or I was sure it was coming out anyway. Ugh. I am only running b/c my pride will not allow me to run with spectators around. I'm still just trying to make it to mile 20.....then I WILL walk. Mile 20, where is it??? As I'm constantly watching for the mile markers, I see my running partner!! I can't believe it! She ran the 1/2 but needed to leave for Goshen (yikes, murder of former collegue at Goshen College). She decided she had time to come find me --drove to mile 21ish, then came out to locate and run with me. I have never been so happy to see her in all my life!! Wow, I say, I was just about to walk. I promised myself I could. Nope, she says, you can make it 2 more miles. I'll stay with you. Which, she did, encouraging me every step. I did manage to tell her to never, ever, ever, let me try a stunt like this again. Did I say never? She only laughed --she knows me too well. She ran with me until around mile 22, wished me the best, offered some final words of encouragement, and left me alone with my mental game again.

Miles 23 - 24: 10.42, 10.43

Have I mentioned I hurt? Really hurt? But, since I made it to mile 22, I figured I could made it just ONE more mile. Then I will walk. As a matter of fact, if I make it just one more mile, I will never run another race again. I will not run the Riverbank, I will not run the trail relay, even if they have to drop out b/c they are one member short. Nope. Just run one more mile, then never race again. One more mile, one more mile.

Miles 25 - 26: 10.44, 10.55

There have been moments that I wouldn't quite call that pace "running", jogging, yes, but maybe not running. Not today. I was running, albeit a shuffle, the very fastest I could. I did not walk yet, I am continuing to press on, back foot forward. I have finally actually decided NOT to walk. I do know that if I continue to run, even at this pace, I will yet finish with a time I'm happy with, but walking would have tanked it. So, rather than bribing myself by promising to walk, I just want to reach the finish line.

Mile 25.5

My family!! After mile 18, my husband quickly went home and picked up the boys --all 5 were there about a 1/2 mile from the finish cheering me on! If I had had any more energy, I might have cried. I now know I can and will finish. No, I couldn't pick up the pace, I was simply too exhausted and tired.

FINISH: 26.2 --and then some

I DID IT!!! I completed two marathons 4 weeks apart!

Finish Time: 4:18.32

While that is not my PR (a 3.51 run last Feb), yet I was so thrilled to finish in that time. I have now run 8 marathons, and I'm slowly learning that each marathon is a unique journey in and of itself. I feel almost a greater sense of satisfaction finishing this marathon than I have with some of my faster ones --b/c I know what it took for me to gut it out and finish --running. Of course I will run other races again, but I'm not so sure I will try to do this again. I will have a better plan to fend off race envy.

Thanks all,
Gail Riddering
momof5boys
momof5boys

Back to top Go down

2 in one month --Grand Rapids Marathon Empty Re: 2 in one month --Grand Rapids Marathon

Post  momof5boys Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:30 pm

What's up with the smile face --I had an "eight" typed?
momof5boys
momof5boys

Back to top Go down

2 in one month --Grand Rapids Marathon Empty Re: 2 in one month --Grand Rapids Marathon

Post  JohnP Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Darn, you mean I was there and missed meeting you? Well, nice job on the second race. You did very well considering you ran one a month ago. Be careful though, it's very addictive to do a few in a row like that! Congrats on the double though.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Wow, Gail - I bet you ran right by me at mile 24 while I was waiting for my friend Judy who ran her 50th state. She finished in 4:22, and I ran her in the last 2 miles after running the half. Congrats on a job well doen!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Nice job!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Great job!Now time to rest and enjoy the holiday season!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down