365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC!

Go down

Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC! Empty Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC!

Post  Kenny B. on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:44 pm

My goal was 3:15. My HM time a few weeks ago predicted 3:15 as did my shorter distance 5k. So I thought with ideal weather 3:15 (BQ) is a possibility. As you know I switched last minute from Hartford to AC banking on a bit better weather. Well that ended up not working out very well.

Weather was mid 50's to low 60's ALL Sun this did not help but the culprit was 15-20mph SOUTH wind vs. a WEST wind which was expected. The problem is miles 8 through 16 are all headed directly south.

Miles 1-2 went by ok I did feel I went out a bit to fast and also felt some wind issues already during mile 2

Mile 3-7 was the only time I felt in a groove. Actually felt quite capable. Partly shaded areas no winds to speak of.

Mile 8 - 13 I hit the head wind and despite maintaining decent pace I knew my day was about to end. HR was starting to climb and I was starting to feel mentally out of it.

Mile 14- 17 - I tried to maintain some type of pace to get me in maybe at 3:25 but at mile 15 or maybe it was 18 I decided to DNF. (however no one knew how to get me back to finish line) So I carried on.

From that point on my only goal was to get in my car and go home. The best part of the day however was around 18 or so I decided to stop WALKING at the station and join the volunteers to give out water and gatorade to the "runners". I spean a few minutes must have handed 20+ cups which was kind of fun.

Miles 18-26.2 was all walk/run routines with a spurt of energy just to finish up. Twice I thought about going sub 4:00 but it faded pretty quickly.

Despite getting a good tail wind the last 10k I had nothing left in me physically and more mentally to do anything with it. So no reason. I'd save my legs what I can for Philly in 5 weeks.

My learning experieince is

• Never bet against the house
  • If it is windy I need to adjust my time from the get go or at least much earlier.
  • Be ok with adjusting your time I think I could have ran a 3:30 if I would have decided that much earlier.
Overall, I feel fine with the outcome can't say the 26.2 miles journey was fun but training for it was and I still go 5 weeks to get ready for Philly.

Splits are below pretty scary looking!

Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC! Untitl32
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC! Empty Re: Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC!

Post  Julie on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Sorry things didn't work out the way you planned. Your training has been excellent and I am quite hopeful for your Philly marathon.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC! Empty Re: Never Bet Against the House. I Crapped out in AC!

Post  JohnP on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Kenny, tough day out there. But Philly has been very, very good and I know it will be good for you too. Definitely agree that winds like that require an adjustment in time goals. I ran CIM a few years ago an realized then how much it takes out of you especially with the gusts.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  sobele on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Kenny,

the conditions were pretty bad. I was struggling as well. I'm sure you'll do better in Philly.

Evan
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Better days ahead. Physically not pushing it and deciding to save your legs for the next 5 weeks is smart. Mentally, just realize nature plans other things and it's not something you can beat in training. You can't go up against the weather that God provides. God Bless your recovery.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:53 am

So you ended up with a long training run that included a chunk of early miles at MP...a couple more weeks of easy training for you, than taper, and we'll both toe the line in Philly.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 am

You made the right decision and now you've got one last long run in the books for Philly.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:22 am

Sorry it wasn't your day Kenny. Like the others have said, here's hoping things fall together for you in Philly.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:33 am

Sorry to hear about your rough race Kenny, but I LOVE that you thought to stop & hang out and volunteer for awhile and then carried on. What a great spirit to have when so many people would have given up. Yet again I learn something from you! Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am

Sounds like you were not in the mood, Kenny. Philly will be the one!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:01 am

I also think Philly will be the race. Kenny, you have put in the training. You're due for success.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Alas, no winner-winner-Baldo Dinner. Bummer.

Recover well.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm sorry your day didn't turn out as planned. but I've been there ,it happens , we just move on and forward
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Sorry that it wasn't your day, but you did get in a good long run for Philly!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Oof rough day. Sorry Kenny.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone. I ain't going anywhere be back get my shit together for philly.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum