365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting Over

+2
Seth Harrison
Traveller
6 posters

Go down

Starting Over Empty Starting Over

Post  Traveller Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:32 pm

And there are many levels of meaning in the title. (Thank Mark B for inspiration Smile )

I am starting over on a new site (obvious) and figuring out how it works. I'm glad several of y'all from previous online venues are here. I've missed y'all.

I have found myself back at the top of my weight range. I've started tracking everything with the goal of losing about 40 pounds. I'm planning on targeting a loss-rate of 1 pound/week. I started on 19 September at 184 and am currently on track.

I didn't run much during my deployment. I had a good run on Memorial Day, a Bolder Boulder Remote, with a time that I was happy with. That may have been my last run before trying to run the USAF Marathon. I knew I wasn't trained for it, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway. I have a Physical Fitness Assessment coming up and gave myself permission to stop sooner to avoid serious damage and I did just that at 21 miles where I got on the bus back to the start/finish area. This is my first DNF and I'm not sure what I should do about the Race Shirt. I did finish last year, so it's not like walking around with Boston gear having never even toed the line. (Yes, I'm asking for thoughts on this.) As a result, I'm basically starting my training from scratch.

My first goal is to pass the AFPT which requires finishing 1.5 miles (2.4 km) in 14:52 or less. My initial goal for this component is actually around 13:00. There is a waist measurement that has to be 39 inches or less. I'm not doing any specific to address this beyond losing weight. The strength components include push-ups (21 or better in 60 seconds) and sit-ups (34 or better in 60 seconds). There is a combined score of 75 I need to meet or exceed and the 13:00 time on the run is for that. Everything else is gravy. The part of this whole thing I'm really concerned about right now is the sit-ups as I have never done better than 25.

The plan has me running to establish a base with 4 days a week of run. This is basically Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and a long run on the weekend. I'm starting with 2 miles each weekday (easy, not so easy, easy) and about an hour on the weekend. Once that is established (and depending on how the run goes in a week and a half), I will look at more specific training. I'm strength training twice a week and will likely go with the Monday/Thursday pattern similar to Hal's training plans. Again, we'll see if that is enough to improve my score on the AFPT and make the necessary adjustments if it isn't.

I'm planning on running the Bolder Boulder 10K and the Marine Corp Marathon next year. I have a few other things I'm considering, but those are the most important. I don't know how often I'll post, but I expect at least weekly.

To those of you still here, thanks for reading Smile
Traveller
Traveller

Back to top Go down

Starting Over Empty Re: Starting Over

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:39 pm

Good to see you over here Traveller. Good luck with the weight loss and getting back to serious training.
Since you asked...definitely wear the shirt!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Good to see you made it over here. Good luck with the weight loss and the AFPT. I agree with Seth that you should wear the shirt.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Good to see you here and good luck on your plans. As for your shirt issue, I can't really comment. I must be the one runner who hates the tech shirts races give out these days. I never wear them at all.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Glad you found us Clark. I read somewhere (maybe on the old V-boards) that you can wear such a shirt, as long as you write "DNF" on it in giant letters with indelible marker. Not sure if I agree, but I think it's really funny. Good luck in training and in getting back to fighting weight.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:55 am

Welcome back, and wear the shirt.

Good job on the weight loss, too. Good luck getting ready for the AFPT!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Starting Over Empty Training notes for the week ending 9 October 2011

Post  Traveller Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:46 am

This was my first week of regular planned training and I am happy to report that I accomplished all planned activities.

Monday is strength training, which currently means push-ups and sit-ups in preparation for the AFPT. I completed 38 push-ups over 5 sets. The breakdown is 3x10, 5, and 3. I completed 61 sit-ups over 8 sets and the breakdown there is 4x10, 7, 2x5, and 4. I need to do 21 push-ups and 34 sit-ups in the AFPT to pass. (More is definitely better.) My goal for this cycle was revised to 8x10 push-ups and 10x10 sit-ups. While I'm not there, I am happy with my progress so far.

Tuesday is a short, easy run. Most of my running is on a treadmill and today was no different. I start and finish with 5 minutes walking at 3 mph. I ran at 4 mph for 1.5 miles. Total for the session was 2.0 miles in 32:30. I recorded the heart rate after each 1/4 mile. I started at 88 and was at 107 after the warm-up. The running quarters ended with the following values: 139, 147, 149, 151, 164, and 152. After the cool-down, I was back to 127. The average was 136 with a peak of 164.

Wednesday is another short run, but at a faster pace. After the walking warm-up, I ran at 5mph for 1.5 miles. Total for the session was 2.0 miles in 28:00 Again, I recorded the heart rate. I started at 90 and was at 109 after the warm-up. The 1/4 miles ended with the following values: 154, 162, 164, 165, 165, and 168. After the cool-down, I was back to 130. The average was 145 with a peak of 170.

Thursday was a repeat of Tuesday with strength training added. I did the same run in the same time, but I didn't wear my HRM. Total for the session was 2.0 miles in 32:30. The strength part resulted in 43 push-ups in 5 sets (breakdown is 3x10, 9, 4) and 70 sit-ups in 10 sets (breakdown is 3x10, 9, 6, 5x5).

Friday is a rest day.

On Saturday, I got a good Resting Heart Rate of 52.

I only plan one item for the weekend and that is a long run. On Sunday, I ran 4.0 miles on the treadmill in 1:02:30. I followed my standard plan of .25 miles walking for warm-up and again for cool-down. The stress phase was 3.5 miles of running at 4 mph. I was wearing my HRM recorded the end of the warm-up, each 1/2 mile of the run, and the end of the final 1/4 mile. I was at 95 after the warm-up. This was the first time I have not been over 100 after 5 minutes of walking at 3 mph. During the run I had the following values: 125, 132, 139, 136, 136, 139, and 142. I finished the cool-down at 119. The average was 131 with a peak of 147. Comparing these to Tuesday is quite interesting indeed and I am very happy about things.

Next week, I will repeat everything through Friday. I have the AFPT on Sunday morning, so I will not have a long run. I will use the training results from next week and the results of the AFPT to adjust my training. Things are looking good so far.
Traveller
Traveller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down