365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brooks PureConnect and PureGrit Review?

+6
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
Neil Ruggiero
Schuey
Tim M
Ben Z
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Brooks PureConnect and PureGrit Review? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brooks PureConnect and PureGrit Review?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Can you wear an orthotic with them? I feel like I cannot totally abandon them although I do use soft ones now.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Brooks PureConnect and PureGrit Review? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brooks PureConnect and PureGrit Review?

Post  Randy E Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Can you wear an orthotic with them? I feel like I cannot totally abandon them although I do use soft ones now.

Michele, I'm not sure how that would work out. I would bring your orthotic to the store when you try on the shoe. That's the only way you'll know.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Randy E wrote:In my opinion these shoes would make no sense for a heel striker, especially because of the lump.

I agree with that. The heel design on the PureProject shoes really encourages a mid-foot strike.

As with all minimalist shoes, mid-foot landing is a must.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Randy E wrote:I tried on a pair of the connects this afternoon at Fleet Feet while they were engraving my Chicago Marathon medal. I thought the shoe was one of the most different and unique shoes I've ever tried on. They are light and comfortable. They also feel like there is a lump in the arch area. This lump (for lack of better term) seems to add some nice cushioning for mid foot strikers. It also seems to want to roll the foot forward. I could not run in these today because of the race yesterday but I do look forward to giving them a spin. In my opinion these shoes would make no sense for a heel striker, especially because of the lump.
Sounds interesting! I will have to give them a try too. Turns out my fav local running store has them in stock. Whoo hoo!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 pm

I might go buy a pair this weekend. At least I'll be able to take a short run with them.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:36 am

So I ran in these for the first time yesterday. A few observations:

The toe box is wide(r) but not like a 4E width. It's perfect from what I can tell. a bit wider than the Kinvaras and much wider than a Lunar. My second and third toes tend to rub on shoes that are too rounded, not so with these shoes.

The 'bump' Randy refers to is the arch support. It's noticeable when walking around but doesn't impede you when you run.

Perfect amount of cushioning to use for long runs, yet feel the road.

What I like most about the shoe is the outsole and the upper. The outsole flexes very well and it's a bit rounded on the edges and heel. Much like the Merell Glove shoes. I feel this encourages a quick turnover.

The upper is oh so comfortable. It feels like a slipper. Best upper I have worn thus far in a 'real' running shoe.

A lot of attention went in to this shoe. From the offset, rounded heel (it seems to work!), just enough cushion to protect you on long runs/yet still feel the road, to the sweet upper with one overlay (the elastic bands over the midfoot that locks in your foot) - my first impression is VERY favorable. I think I've found my new everything shoe.

Well done Brooks. Well done.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:40 am

Interesting observation about the "lump" being more noticeable while walking. That's really all I could do the day I tried them on because of the marathon the day before. I'm looking forward to trying these. Thanks for the review.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 pm

I have a narrow foot. Kinvara's work for me but I find the Launch to be a bit too wide. How do these compare width wise?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:07 pm

I ran an easy 3 miles in these today and thought they felt great. They really hug your feet and feel great in the arch. This is a nicely cushioned shoe and more for mid-fore foot strikers. They feel different walking vs running. But, even though I do not need arch support I kind of like how these hug your arch. It's hard to explain this shoe because it is unique. I'd recommend trying them on. I look forward to my next run in them Sunday.
Here is the description from Brooks:
"Feel the run from head to big toe with the radically lightweight and flexible PureConnect. Neutral runners who crave less shoe and more freedom will love the maximum breathability of an open mesh upper built on a slim and nimble underfoot.
A split toe groove extends through the forefoot allowing the runner to really engage the foot and get a greater sense of connection to the ground. This is a shoe for those who want as little as possible between them and the road." I will say that even though Brooks considers these minimalist, to me they feel very comfortable and like there is a lot between the foot and the road. Like I said, you'll have to give them a test.

Weight: 7.2 oz
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:07 am

mountandog wrote:I have a narrow foot. Kinvara's work for me but I find the Launch to be a bit too wide. How do these compare width wise?

It's been awhile since I wore the launch but compared to the Kinvara it's wider. Personally, I don't think I shoe can be too wide. Unless there is a shoe out there that is so wide it interferes with your stride. But I have yet to see that. Minimalists will argue you want a wide toe box so your foot can sprawl out on impact. This is what happens when you run barefoot so your shoes should allow for it - so they say. I'm believing in this the wider I go with my shoes.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:13 pm

I understand that, but when you have an "A" foot, its also narrow in the heel. Most shoes are already wide in the box for me. With the launch my lace pattern actually pulls both sides of the tongue together so close they touch. Not a problem most of you have.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2