365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

+5
Jack_Scaff
Liz R
Julie
Admin
Pete B
9 posters

Go down

Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) Empty Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Post  Pete B Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 pm

OK - I know this has been discussed in the past - I've read it.

But know I need to research it as I am doing daily-double doses of Aleve just to be able to run.

Any links, knowledgeable discussion, etc. would be appreciated.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) Empty Re: Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Post  Admin Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:17 pm

I think you got enough of my comments on FB! lol...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) Empty Re: Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Post  Pete B Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Matt - sure turned into a lively topic.

Face book people - look at 'Pete Bochek' for some hot activity.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:35 am

not sure exactly what you're asking. If you're in that much pain just running perhaps it's time for a break? I took ibuprofen but I can only take so much before it starts really bothering my stomach. Maybe switch things up with ice and rest days, too?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 am

What is the cause of the pain? Is it something that time off/PT/strengthening/surgery can correct? If the answer is no, if NASIds are the only solution, then I think you have to weigh the costs and benefits of taking them.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 am

Pete B wrote:But know I need to research it as I am doing daily-double doses of Aleve just to be able to run.

That stmt is what is troubling - are you simply masking the cause of the pain? IMO you run the risk of a chronic injury w/o letting it heal. Time off!
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:55 am

Jack_Scaff wrote:
Pete B wrote:But know I need to research it as I am doing daily-double doses of Aleve just to be able to run.
That stmt is what is troubling - are you simply masking the cause of the pain? IMO you run the risk of a chronic injury w/o letting it heal. Time off!
I'm with Jack. You're an old man Pete. I hope you've figured that out on Facebook. I am too. I got a thorough professional diagnosis of my condition, spent three months in physical therapy [no running], researched the strength of over-the-counter and prescription NSAIDs and now manage my condition by stepping back to physical therapy when necessary along with NSAIDs. We don't know if you've gotten a formal diagnosis. But without such insight, you're playing with fire if you are indeed double-dosing with naproxen just to run. FYI, the anti-inflammatory dose in naproxen [trade name Aleve] is about as stiff as you can get without moving up to a prescription strength NSAID. Quit until your condition improves AND you have a formal diagnosis. You have been warned.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:14 pm

I was taking Aleve to help with a shin pain a couple of years ago. I ended up running with the pain until I couldn't even do it while taking Aleve and ended up with a tibial stress fracture.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Sorry for the lack of detail - It is basically just getting old. I don't have the CT and MRI reports in front of me, but the pain is due to degeneration of the symphisis pubis joint -

Pubic Symphysis - The pubic symphysis is a cartilage-like articulation between the pubic bones. It is a slightly movable joint that contains three ligaments: the superior pubic, the arcuate pubic and the interpubic disk.

Yes, the doctor's perscription, besides the Aleve, is to do absolutely nothing for 30 days and see if I am better. I'll have 30 days to try this out in March 2012 after Chicago, Houston, and the New Orleans marathons. My feeling is that nothing will change, but maybe a lengthy period of rest will help.

My running has been somewhat uncomfortable the first half mile or so, then becomes a dull pain with each stride - I've been getting all my miles in during the last month or so - some of this could have been agrivated by an anti-fungal (Lamisil) that I was on for seven weeks until I put two and two together and realized it was destroying my training cycle. Some of the side effects included:

Other Fatigue, increased heart rate (tachycardia), hair loss, decreased red blood cell count (anemia), muscle pain (myalgia), joint pain (arthralagia).

Hey, I think I still have my hair. So between being old and the Lamisil, all this may just need more time to see if it keeps getting better.

I have spent the day reading about NSAIDs though - doesn't sound good.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Just so we're all clear... it's a degenerative condition, but running doesn't make it worse? Doc says you're cleared to run? If so, then you have to evaluate the risks/rewards.

See, I'm wondering just how important those marathons are going to be... in retrospect. Take care of yourself long term, first and foremost. Distance runners tend to be a little more... um, extreme and stubborn... than the general population. As long as you're not being stupid, I'll give you two enthusiastic thumbs-up!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:05 pm

I had symphysis pubis dysfunction during pregnancy. It was painful and then of course since I was pregnant I couldn't take any medication for it. I would avoid going up stairs as much as you can and all the other tips to keep it down. That is a booger. I hope you get better soon!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Considering that when I went in to be evaluated I was worrying about Athletic pubalgia, also called the sportman's hernia or sports hernia, or even better - bone cancer, I guess I am lucky.

Since stopping the anti-fungal all systems seem to be getting better: less pelvic pain, regaining endurance and speed, etc. Time will tell if the worst of it was caused by the anti-fungal and I can get by without the NSAIDs.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Reina Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Pete,

Until recently, I have taken Aleve 400mg 2 x per day for years ... for fibromyalgia pain (not necessarily running). My doctor kept wanting me to come off of the NSAIDS but without it I typically feel like I'm getting the flu, achy all over etc...

So, I stubbornly kept taking it ... now mind you, this was a lot of years ... but for the last year or so I had been having stomach trouble and I finally went to the doc ... and she diagnosed an ulcer due to NSAID use. I have since stopped taking the NSAIDS and it does seem to be making my stomach better. Trying to figure out how to manage the other pain is still a challenge.

But ... my point is ... I didn't think the potential for NSAID induced stomach damage was a big deal ... but it is ... so be careful!

--Reina
Reina
Reina
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:44 am

Yep, getting old! How weird that the anti fungal made it worse. I'll file that tidbit away. I can live with fungus.

Besides NSAIDS, think about how to add some xtraining to keep your fitness but spare your joints. If you became a four day a week runner who also biked and swam, would that help?

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:17 am

Definitely agree with the evidence regarding the potential for harm in the long term. I totally get why a person takes it, but IMO that is where the danger lies. It's very easy to become reliant on a pain killer if a person has chronic pain. And as competitive as a lot of us are, it is easy to use that instead of trying to work on the causes of the pain, continue to train without much modification and feel like if it doesn't hurt us today, it's going to be OK. Well...maybe so and maybe not.

Working on things like an anti-inflammatory diet, use of omega 3 fish oil in the right dosage to combat inflammation are things we all could work on if we chose to IMO. And that could be a start anyway.

Personally I have taken ibuprofen in order to keep a bad tooth at bay over a long holiday weekend until I could get in to see my dentist. But that's about it.

It's an individual choice, but a person should be educated on the subject at least. In addition to the stomach and kidney issues, ibuprofen and including Naproxin (Aleve) is in a class of medications that increase the risk of heart attack. The risk is small, but it is something else to be considered.

http://arthritis.webmd.com/news/20050609/like-vioxx-ibuprofen-may-up-heart-attack-risk
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum