365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metabolism is going nuts--need help

+9
Julie
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Stephanie
Liz R
mul21
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
stanton
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Metabolism is going nuts--need help Empty Metabolism is going nuts--need help

Post  stanton Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I don't run as much as a lot of people here, usually 25-30 miles a week. I've recently started swimming with a team 1.5 hours 3X a week. Since I've started swimming along with my running, my metabolism and appetite is out of control. I've been getting sweaty, shakey ..etc if I don't stay on top of eating every couple hours. I'm looking for some healthy and easy ways to add calories to my diet. I've been adding granola bars with natural peanut butter, cans of tuna and whold grain goldfish. Not ideal. Even eating constantly I'm still losing weight without trying.

As far as minerals and vitamins, I get plenty with my regular diet; lots of fruit and vegtables. I also probably drink 1- 2 gallons of water every day.

Anyone got some good ways to keep up with feeding your body without constantly runnign about your house/workplace looking for something to eat?
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Metabolism is going nuts--need help Empty Re: Metabolism is going nuts--need help

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:42 pm

I eat Cliff Bars as snacks during the day - they usually do the trick and are easy to tote around. Good for an anytime snack and I would often eat one before a swimming workout.

I am NOT recommending this, but sometimes when I am training really hard, I eat a candy bar, sack of gummy bears, etc. Not good for you I know, but at times it seemed like my body was just crying for extra carbs, which I would end up burning through. I would eat big mounds of rice or pasta too and about once a week would eat pizza. Nothing really complicated, but I would also eat, like you, throughout the day. Bananas are always good for a snack. My guess is that your body will readjust and find some balance within a few weeks. I know that if I stop working out and eat like I normally do, I would blow up like a balloon!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Metabolism is going nuts--need help Empty Re: Metabolism is going nuts--need help

Post  Jerry Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Diet Coke.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm

PB & J on wheat bread is always a good option. I've had the same experience when I jacked up my mileage. You may be craving more fats as well as carbs and protein, so don't neglect that part of the equation.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:14 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:I am NOT recommending this, but sometimes when I am training really hard, I eat a candy bar, sack of gummy bears, etc. Not good for you I know, but at times it seemed like my body was just crying for extra carbs
On Sunday we were doing sets of 200 IM and 100 sprints. After all of that I was rushing to the clubhouse to get the most calorie filled thing I could find. I've had Clif bars before, but haven't had one in a long time. I'll grab a box of them. They're probably more calorie dense and nutritious than the nature valley granola bars I eat now.

Jerry wrote:Diet Coke.

No Can't handle diet coke...

mul21 wrote:PB & J on wheat bread is always a good option. I've had the same experience when I jacked up my mileage. You may be craving more fats as well as carbs and protein, so don't neglect that part of the equation.

Is there an easy fat that isn't horrible for you? I get olive oil at dinner and in salads. I eat quite a bit of PB already.
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Nuts? Avocados? Cheese? What kind of breakfast do you eat? More food then can help tide you over later. When I first started swimming and running right after one another, I was eating pancakes for breakfast because otherwise I would chew off my arm.

When my kids are very active and away from home most of the day, I pack them trail mix and chocolate milk for snacks.

I hate to say it, but Nutella is my favorite source of extra calories.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Liz R wrote:Nuts? Avocados? Cheese? What kind of breakfast do you eat?

For breakfast I have grape nuts cereal and milk, coffee, a banana and two boiled eggs. When I get to work I have a granola bar and a can of tuna. I usually eat yogurt and trail (almonds, peanuts, and sunflower seeds in it) mix for lunch and goldfish crackers. Get home and eat a natural peanut butter sandwich on multi grain bread. Dinner is always a mix of things, but typically healthy with lots of vegetables and a banana after.

I have Nutella at home, but it's too rich for me.
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 pm

stanton wrote:
Liz R wrote:Nuts? Avocados? Cheese? What kind of breakfast do you eat?

For breakfast I have grape nuts cereal and milk, coffee, a banana and two boiled eggs. When I get to work I have a granola bar and a can of tuna. I usually eat yogurt and trail (almonds, peanuts, and sunflower seeds in it) mix for lunch and goldfish crackers. Get home and eat a natural peanut butter sandwich on multi grain bread. Dinner is always a mix of things, but typically healthy with lots of vegetables and a banana after.

I have Nutella at home, but it's too rich for me.

There's the problem. You need to eat an actual lunch. A turkey sandwich, leftovers, whatever, but it needs to be much more substantial than yogurt and trail mix.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am

stanton wrote:For breakfast I have grape nuts cereal and milk, coffee, a banana and two boiled eggs. When I get to work I have a granola bar and a can of tuna. I usually eat yogurt and trail (almonds, peanuts, and sunflower seeds in it) mix for lunch and goldfish crackers. Get home and eat a natural peanut butter sandwich on multi grain bread. Dinner is always a mix of things, but typically healthy with lots of vegetables and a banana after.

Maybe try a heavier breakfast... oatmeal or quinoa (better source of protein while being an excellent source of carbs), with berries, cottage cheese. Keep with the eggs too.

mul21 wrote:There's the problem. You need to eat an actual lunch. A turkey sandwich, leftovers, whatever, but it needs to be much more substantial than yogurt and trail mix.

+1. Use the yogurt & trail mix as one of your snacks.

Like Liz mentioned good sources of fat are almonds, walnuts, avocados, almond butter.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Maybe try a heavier breakfast... oatmeal or quinoa (better source of protein while being an excellent source of carbs), with berries, cottage cheese. Keep with the eggs too.

mul21 wrote:There's the problem. You need to eat an actual lunch. A turkey sandwich, leftovers, whatever, but it needs to be much more substantial than yogurt and trail mix.

+1. Use the yogurt & trail mix as one of your snacks.

Like Liz mentioned good sources of fat are almonds, walnuts, avocados, almond butter.

Thanks everyone!

Stephanie:

Almonds are never a problem. Almond butter is something I haven't had in a while, but really love. I'll start up with that. I used to eat oatmeal every morning with honey, cranberries and blueberries. I'll go back to that, too.

Mul:

I'll start doing that. It's just so much faster to not bring food food.. I'll make a big weekend batch of vegetable pasta or lentil salad to bring with me throughout the week.

Liz:

I like pancakes, but barely have time to make coffee in the morning. Maybe eggos?
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Definitely eat a bigger lunch - add in some good veggies or a salad dressed with olive oil and vinegar (none of those bottled dressings) which will help with the nutrition and need for "ruffage". Almonds and raisins are a great afternoon snack and those little mini carrots with hummus.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Same thing happens to me, except it will stay dormant until I'm way under (~2000kcal over the course of 4-5 days) then WHAM I need to eat everything in sight. To combat this, this is what I do:

6 meals daily. Yes, 6. Each has ~500kcal for a total of 3000. On weekends and Wednesdays (long runs), it's 3500+, sometimes up to 4000.

Usually it's breakfast, run, post-run smoothie (half a meal), lunch #1 an hour later, lunch #2 3hr after that, half a meal afternoon snack, dinner #1, run again, dinner #2. If the run is a long run, I have at least 200kcal/hr on the run.

Yes, it's a lot of cooking and preparing of food, but if you spend a couple hours in the kitchen one day per weekend, you can get 1 daily meal out of the way for the entire week (make a huge batch of soup or something). Plus, every time I cook, I make enough for 2 meals so the next time I have something ready to grab.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 pm

have you been to your doctor? That screams potential hyperthyroidism to me. I am not a "See your doctor" happy kind of person but in this instance you might consider it.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote: salad dressed with olive oil and vinegar (none of those bottled dressings) mini carrots with hummus.
Never use the bottle dressing. Typically have a sald every night of mixed greens, onion, carrots and tomatoes. Love hummus and baby carrots. I need to get to the grocery.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Same thing happens to me, except it will stay dormant until I'm way under Each has ~500kcal for a total of 3000.
br />Yes, it's a lot of cooking and preparing of food, but if you spend a couple hours in the kitchen one day per weekend, you can get 1 daily meal out of the way for the entire week (make a huge batch of soup or something).

I tend to undereat what I'm *supposed* to eat. I'm 6'5 and they recommend over 3k even if I'm trying to lose weight. So, it's easy for me to not quite get my recommended amount. IN this case it's worse because I probably need at least the amount I'm recommended. I feel like I have to constantly eat.

I'm also a big fan of making big batches of food to avoid cooking more than necessary.
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote: salad dressed with olive oil and vinegar (none of those bottled dressings) mini carrots with hummus.
Never use the bottle dressing. Typically have a sald every night of mixed greens, onion, carrots and tomatoes. Love hummus and baby carrots. I need to get to the grocery.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Same thing happens to me, except it will stay dormant until I'm way under Each has ~500kcal for a total of 3000.
br />Yes, it's a lot of cooking and preparing of food, but if you spend a couple hours in the kitchen one day per weekend, you can get 1 daily meal out of the way for the entire week (make a huge batch of soup or something).

I tend to undereat what I'm *supposed* to eat. I'm 6'5 and they recommend over 3k even if I'm trying to lose weight. So, it's easy for me to not quite get my recommended amount. IN this case it's worse because I probably need at least the amount I'm recommended. I feel like I have to constantly eat.

I'm also a big fan of making big batches of food to avoid cooking more than necessary.
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Liz R wrote:Nuts? Avocados? Cheese? What kind of breakfast do you eat? More food then can help tide you over later. When I first started swimming and running right after one another, I was eating pancakes for breakfast because otherwise I would chew off my arm.

When my kids are very active and away from home most of the day, I pack them trail mix and chocolate milk for snacks.

Mmm. Nutella. Too bad the stuff is so expensive and disappears so quickly.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Julie wrote:have you been to your doctor? That screams potential hyperthyroidism to me. I am not a "See your doctor" happy kind of person but in this instance you might consider it.

Not sure what that is, but I'll check into it. Thanks.
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Eggos work as well as home made pancakes.

You are big and very active, so I'd feed you like one of my boys! Your breakfast doesn't sound too bad, much better than I imagined. That lunch is pretty light. Are you working and eating at the same time? Could you make yourself a substantial sandwich, one with lots of meat and cheese or loads of pb and jelly, plus nuts/chips plus fruit---maybe dried fruit for more calories, plus dessert?

How about a before bed snack of milk and cookies? Or a little ice cream or cereal? My bigger son goes downstairs to back for school before bed, and while he is there eats one more time.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Liz R wrote:How about a before bed snack of milk and cookies?
Usually cereal and or a banana. Sometimes I'll eat a granola bar.
Oh, and I eat a lot of yogurt (think it's a 8oz container of Fage greek yogurt) for lunch, along with several ounces of nuts and dried fruit.

Last edited by stanton on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Fat is the densest source of calories. Can you add flaxseed to some of your foods/drinks? Do you eat salmon?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Fat is the densest source of calories. Can you add flaxseed to some of your foods/drinks? Do you eat salmon?
Eat salmon 1-2 times a week and love it. I usually just drink water, sometimes a gatorade. Can't imagine flax would taste good with water or gatorade. I could probably add it to my cereal or oatmeal. Will flax make me less hungry or does it have a lot of calories?
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks everyone for the great input!

Yesterday I added a ton of food to my lunch and several snacks. Felt like I was eating *forever*. Ran yesterday at lunch and then went to swimming practice last night (3,200 meters) and had tons of energy then entire time, totally crushed it. Thanks for all the input. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can maintain focus on my diet!
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 am

You nailed in on the head: you have to eat, constantly. Just comes with the territory. Your body is burning so many calories (both during exercise and from the residual metabolic boost) that you just have to keep up on it. Always. Flax goes well in oatmeal, as it thickens liquids. Also smoothies. But don't cook it on high heat for a long time - you destroy some of the fats that way. Make sure it's ground, too - if it's not, you won't extract nearly as many of the nutrients. 1tbsp ground flax = 40cal. I shoot for 2-3/day, as well as 1-2T olive oil (this is an easy one, just drizzle it over any vegetables when you cook them, or mix it into your hummus/whatever, some nuts, peanut butter... A handful of nuts, depending on size, can give you 400-600cal easily, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:21 pm

I'm thinking one to two gallons of water a day is way too much! That whole fashion magazine 8-10 glasses of water thing has been debunked. If you are drinking other liquids they also count. I'm not saying eight 12 ounce glasses of water per day is bad, but double or tripling that is definitely dangerous. You may have so much water in the system it is flushing most of the nutrients out before they can be absorbed, for heaven's sake!affraid Good Lord, one to two Gallons, are you serious? Maybe if you are dripping sweat all day long, even then, some electrolites would be needed. Did nobody else catch this?
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 pm

I pretty much drink only water, except a glass of wine and 2 cups of coffee. I drink a lot of water, but sweat a lot when I run. I drop 5-6 pounds when I run over 5 miles , which is 3 out of 5 days and that doesn't include sweating when I swim 3x a week for 1.5 hours (water weight drops quickly after 5 pounds).
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next