365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink)

+2
Nick Morris
Jack_Scaff
6 posters

Go down

The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink) Empty The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink)

Post  Jack_Scaff Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Interesting article in the NYT

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/nonalcoholic-beer-aids-marathon-recovery/?src=me&ref=general

A new study reports that beer is an excellent recovery beverage for marathon runners. But you may not want to start a raucous celebration just yet. The beer was effective only if it was nonalcoholic.

Alcoholic beer happens to be drenched in polyphenols, too — “even more than nonalcoholic beer,” Dr. Scherr said — but has the signal disadvantage of being alcoholic. “We do not know whether the side effects of alcoholic beer would cancel out the positive effects caused by the polyphenols,” he wrote. “Furthermore, it is not possible to drink one to one and a half liters of alcoholic beer per day, especially not during strenuous training.” We all knew that, right?

Some comments:

1. What is the point of non-alcoholic beer?

2. I too have the signal disadvantage of being an alcoholic.

3. 1.0-1.5L/day? Pfft. And this is GERMAN research?
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink) Empty Re: The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink)

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Dang...and I was looking forward to that post race beer, too...Now they are saying it has to non-alcoholic...wah, wah
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink) Empty Re: The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink)

Post  healdgator Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:01 pm

This was soooooooooooo close to being the greatest news ever.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:16 pm

healdgator wrote:This was soooooooooooo close to being the greatest news ever.

I know of a soon to be released book on running that will discuss the benefits of "adult" beer for runners.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:51 pm

This is so anticlimactic...
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Jack_Scaff wrote:
healdgator wrote:This was soooooooooooo close to being the greatest news ever.

I know of a soon to be released book on running that will discuss the benefits of "adult" beer for runners.

That day will be the greatest day of my life.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 pm

I think further research is called for on this. Jack, will you please take the point?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Tom H wrote:I think further research is called for on this. Jack, will you please take the point?

I'll try to get started on this after October 9th...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:07 am

I drank some beer during a marathon. Granted, I was pacing someone and only ran the back 16 of it. Still, it went over fairly well.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Tom H wrote:I think further research is called for on this. Jack, will you please take the point?

Well, since you asked - this is from "the book". Apologies for the format - it is just a PDF conversion...

Beer is very specific for exercise-induced cramps. One reason is that it contains alcohol, a muscle relaxant. Cramps, particularly after running, are a very complex subject, one on which entire chapters have been written. I've read them and will not bore you with repeating the data.

In any case, beer is specific for cramps for several reasons:

1. Beer contains fluids (but so do other beverages).

2. Beer contains carbohydrates (but so do other beverages).

3. Beer contains electrolytes particularly sodium, potassium, calcium and iron (but so do other beverages, however, generally not in the same amount).

4. Beer contains alcohol—a relaxant—(other beverages don't). Alcohol relieves muscle cramps in two specific fashions:

a)Alcohol is a muscle relaxant and is specific for muscle cramps at their site of origin (the tissue level) working as a relaxant and an anesthetic.

b)Beer (alcohol) causes central euphoria, i.e., it diminishes your perception of pain. So, if you do have cramps, you don't care as much.

Caveat:

At the conclusion of the marathon if you see a fellow finisher walking "crab-like," you might want to offer him a beer or two, (if he has a designated driver and a place to sit, lest he become light­headed). Wait 20 minutes. Then evaluate him to see if he is doing as well or better than if he had gone to a shiatsu tent (that's also neat and worth trying as well, especially after having had a beer). If he is not better, take him to a first aid station.

While not commonly known, a well-stocked finish line aid station frequent­ly has a case or two of chilled beer. It's not for the physicians or nurses; it's for the individual with cramps because a can or two of beer that relieves cramps is far cheaper than administrating intravenous solutions or a trip to the E.R.

What? You've just learned that the aid station at your finish line is under stocked. Perhaps sharing this chapter along with a gentle admonishment might help!
"God in his goodness sent the grape
to cheer both great and small.
Little fools drink too much
and great fools drink not at all."
Anonymous
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:41 pm

And then there is is...Credit due to "Your First Marathon - the Last Word in Long-Distance Running" available soon.

The many miracles of beer (marathon recovery drink) 20110810
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Jack_Scaff wrote:

Well, since you asked - this is from "the book". Apologies for the format - it is just a PDF conversion...

Beer is very specific for exercise-induced cramps. One reason is that it contains alcohol, a muscle relaxant. Cramps, particularly after running, are a very complex subject, one on which entire chapters have been written. I've read them and will not bore you with repeating the data.

In any case, beer is specific for cramps for several reasons:

1. Beer contains fluids (but so do other beverages).

2. Beer contains carbohydrates (but so do other beverages).

3. Beer contains electrolytes particularly sodium, potassium, calcium and iron (but so do other beverages, however, generally not in the same amount).

4. Beer contains alcohol—a relaxant—(other beverages don't). Alcohol relieves muscle cramps in two specific fashions:

a)Alcohol is a muscle relaxant and is specific for muscle cramps at their site of origin (the tissue level) working as a relaxant and an anesthetic.

b)Beer (alcohol) causes central euphoria, i.e., it diminishes your perception of pain. So, if you do have cramps, you don't care as much.

Caveat:

At the conclusion of the marathon if you see a fellow finisher walking "crab-like," you might want to offer him a beer or two, (if he has a designated driver and a place to sit, lest he become light­headed). Wait 20 minutes. Then evaluate him to see if he is doing as well or better than if he had gone to a shiatsu tent (that's also neat and worth trying as well, especially after having had a beer). If he is not better, take him to a first aid station.

While not commonly known, a well-stocked finish line aid station frequent­ly has a case or two of chilled beer. It's not for the physicians or nurses; it's for the individual with cramps because a can or two of beer that relieves cramps is far cheaper than administrating intravenous solutions or a trip to the E.R.

What? You've just learned that the aid station at your finish line is under stocked. Perhaps sharing this chapter along with a gentle admonishment might help!
"God in his goodness sent the grape
to cheer both great and small.
Little fools drink too much
and great fools drink not at all."
Anonymous

Actually, I kinda expected you to be the research subject . . .
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down