365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting 2nd marathon training session in two weeks, modify Intermediate 1?

2 posters

Go down

Starting 2nd marathon training session in two weeks, modify Intermediate 1? Empty Starting 2nd marathon training session in two weeks, modify Intermediate 1?

Post  healdgator Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:56 am

I'm starting training for Disney in a couple of weeks and I plan to basically follow Hal's Intermediate 1. My question revolves around the early stages of the training plan. I've been running 30ish miles per week for the last few months, but the early weeks involve only 22-25 miles per week with 2 runs of 3 miles each. Do I really need to cut my mileage back or can I continue with my longer midweek runs? I typically run 6 or 7 miles three times during the week.

For context, I believe I was significantly overtrained for my first disastrous marathon. Because of my conditioning level when I decided to run a marathon and the late date of the marathon I did, I basically extended the heart of the marathon training plan (Novice 1) by more than 2 months with several weeks in the 45-50 mile range. I want to avoid overtraining again, but I'm not really interested in cutting back 2 midweek runs to 3 miles either.

My natural instincts on pretty much everything is just to power through it.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Starting 2nd marathon training session in two weeks, modify Intermediate 1? Empty Re: Starting 2nd marathon training session in two weeks, modify Intermediate 1?

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm

If you can keep the longer mid-week runs on the easy pace side I think you can keep them at the longer distance to start the plan.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down