365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Logging/Tracking your Training

+17
Admin
Pete B
Glenn
Dave-O
Chris M
ssilvert
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
charles
littlewally and farnk
Michael Enright
Julie
Kenny B.
Dave Bussard
Nick Morris
Kevin L
Stephanie
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Logging/Tracking your Training Empty Logging/Tracking your Training

Post  Stephanie Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:58 pm

I was just reading Kenny B's post about when to change your training style and after reading several posts it got me wondering... how do my running mentors (that's all of you here at 365Runners) keep track of their training? I use David Hayes Running log, and schedule my runs in my Google Calendar so I can see how they fit in with my work schedule, but do you track your training cycles in any other way? I'd love to hear how you track your running over the years and what you use to look back over to assess the strengths & weaknesses of each training program you go through.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Logging/Tracking your Training Empty Re: Logging/Tracking your Training

Post  Kevin L Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:30 am

I use Garmin Connect and runningahead.com to log my workouts. Garmin Connect isn't a big deal - I just use it as a backup log since it automatically syncs with my watch. I love runningahead as it allows you to log your shoes and provides the ability to import/export data. I also plan my workouts on Google Calendar so that I can see my workouts alongside other schedules on my phone.
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:04 am

I use Garmin Connect to log my running. It is a very useful tool tht alows you to export to a .CSV file if needed. Plus, like Kevin said, it is easy because it syncs with my watch.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:45 am

This is the truth...I have logged my running everyday since I started way back in 1975!...In High School it was on copied sheets the coach gave us, thru the 80's and into the 90's it was hand written in Running Journals, then in the late 90's I started keeping everything on Excel spreadsheets. I also use Running2win online. Most are very simple entries. Date/miles/workout/sometimes splits/sometimes weather/various weekly, monthly & yearly totals. Only occasionally do I ever go back and look at old entries. Maybe just to compare a certain workout or race.

Guess it's more of a 'why stop now' thing. Logging the daily totals has become as much of a daily routine as running has.
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:05 am

I use mainly two things Hays and Garmin Connect both useful in many ways. Garmin connect allows me to pull up keywords like Pace run and I can compare any pace run I want usually week to week or year to year making it very easy to compare.

Hays I like because I can put notes in the spreadsheet that I look back at. I also use Daily Mile but really more as a social media than for tracking. Although it does a good job at that as well but can't replace Garmin connect or Hays. I like hays because I don't have to rely on someone elses program hays sits on my computer.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:40 am

OK I'm the low-tech one of the group!

I have some running logs that Runners World gave my friend (a subscriber) and used them for years but the last 2 years I've just printed out my training program and write in the boxes there which are about 3/4" squares (like a Word doc, insert table.....and the prescribed miles/workouts are printed out and then I just write on it with a pen what I ran, then add up my total on the right margin). I have a clipped together bundle of papers in a closet from previous years.

When I was just starting out I just wrote them on an extra calendar I had. For me it's just easier to paper/pen even though I'm on the computer plenty often. I like being able to see the whole training cycle at once, though and it's what works for me.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:23 pm

I use logyourrun.com, which is simple, and garmin's products, too. The complete log is on logyourrun - the garmin-timed runs are also on training center and garmin connect (so that doesn't include the treadmill runs and whatever odd runs I didn't use the garmin for).
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewally and farnk Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:11 pm

I have various formats over the years to log my runs. PAPER/DAVID HAYES/GARMIN CONNECT/SPORTTRACKS/MOTIONBASED (that was my fave until it became fee based)

Currently, I am using runningahead.com. PROBLEM is that my Garmin 305 (Littlewally) is acting funky, I can't rely on it at all. I went old school and replaced the battery in my Nike Triax 50. I used it today on my 10 miler for the first time in years.

My question is; What is the best way to move/transfer data from mapmyrun to runningahead. It says I can export the data in a GPX format (CSV format is not yet available) but my PC wont open it once it is downloaded. Should I look for a different transfer program or does anybody know of a fix? I am thinking of not buying a new GPS but I love the data and layout on runnningahead.
littlewally and farnk
littlewally and farnk

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I use Sports Track. It used to be free. I think now they ask for a donation of your choosing. I like it because it has a lot of "plug ins" - think I phone apps that you down load. My favorite is Training Load. I started a thread about it here: https://i-team.forumotion.com/t301-anyone-use-sporttracks In short it allows me to compare my acute training fatigue vs my over all fitness level.

I also use a running journal. My favorite is Marty Jerome's. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Runners-Day-Day-Log/dp/0740796402 I track what is important to me - time, distance, heart rate, weight, effort, route. It is an easy way to go back and compare years. But then again the computer log is easy to go back an compare too!
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm on the right track with Garmin Connect & Hayes spreadsheet.

Julie wrote:OK I'm the low-tech one of the group!

I have some running logs that Runners World gave my friend (a subscriber) and used them for years but the last 2 years I've just printed out my training program and write in the boxes there which are about 3/4" squares (like a Word doc, insert table.....and the prescribed miles/workouts are printed out and then I just write on it with a pen what I ran, then add up my total on the right margin). I have a clipped together bundle of papers in a closet from previous years.

When I was just starting out I just wrote them on an extra calendar I had. For me it's just easier to paper/pen even though I'm on the computer plenty often. I like being able to see the whole training cycle at once, though and it's what works for me.
I can totally see this working Julie and I have been tempted to keep track of things this way too. I plan my programs out on a monthly planner so it's seems natural to log this way too. .

charles wrote:I use Sports Track. It used to be free. I think now they ask for a donation of your choosing. I like it because it has a lot of "plug ins" - think I phone apps that you down load. My favorite is Training Load. I started a thread about it here: http://www.365runners.com/t301-anyone-use-sporttracks In short it allows me to compare my acute training fatigue vs my over all fitness level.
This Training Load feature sounds awesome! Thanks for reposting the link to your thread. I forgot about that conversation. Unfortunately it's only available for Windows PC. Boooo. I just switched to Mac.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 am

Dave Bussard wrote:This is the truth...I have logged my running everyday since I started way back in 1975!...In High School it was on copied sheets the coach gave us, thru the 80's and into the 90's it was hand written in Running Journals, then in the late 90's I started keeping everything on Excel spreadsheets. I also use Running2win online. Most are very simple entries. Date/miles/workout/sometimes splits/sometimes weather/various weekly, monthly & yearly totals. Only occasionally do I ever go back and look at old entries. Maybe just to compare a certain workout or race.

Guess it's more of a 'why stop now' thing. Logging the daily totals has become as much of a daily routine as running has.

Almost exactly the same for me, except I started in 1987 after college using little notebooks and I never had a coach! Then I have used Excel since 2005. I have used Daily Mile online to track also for a couple years because I like the automatic graphs on my profile, and also it keeps track of miles on your shoes quite easily. That's more for fun--I use the Excel document to go back and see what I did last year, last cycle, etc.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:14 am

I use SportTracks as well. To me, its the best option out there, and it gives me all the data I need. I've been using it for years, and havent felt the need to look for anything else.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Ken Mello wrote:I use SportTracks as well. To me, its the best option out there, and it gives me all the data I need. I've been using it for years, and havent felt the need to look for anything else.

Do you still run?

alien
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:37 am

SportTracks for me. It does everything.

Besides being a motivator, a training log helps most when you can compare recent workouts and mileage with what you've done in the past. This is how you learn about the way you, as an individual, respond to certain types of training. SportTracks makes this type of comparison easy and quick.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:38 am

Ken Mello wrote:I use SportTracks as well. To me, its the best option out there, and it gives me all the data I need. I've been using it for years, and havent felt the need to look for anything else.

I couldn't remember why I use SportTracks. Now I do. Not kidding at all when I say that Ken was my original running guru when I got into this sport and I simply went with whatever he did.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:52 am

Dave Bussard wrote:This is the truth...I have logged my running everyday since I started way back in 1975!...In High School it was on copied sheets the coach gave us, thru the 80's and into the 90's it was hand written in Running Journals, then in the late 90's I started keeping everything on Excel spreadsheets. I also use Running2win online. Most are very simple entries. Date/miles/workout/sometimes splits/sometimes weather/various weekly, monthly & yearly totals. Only occasionally do I ever go back and look at old entries. Maybe just to compare a certain workout or race.

Do you have your total mileage since '75 added up? Approaching 100k yet?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:54 am

Just David Hayes Running Log.

Well, and my overly-detailed, likely boring, blogs. I write my daily entries in a word document, so I can consult for specific workouts, etc.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 am

I have a pretty elaborate Excel spreadsheet that I originally set up in 2006, and have continued to tweak since then.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:45 am

Just David Hayes' spreadsheet for the last two years - someone on Hal's forum sent it to me, not sure if it was Dave-O or someone else. It's great.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Dave-O wrote:

Do you have your total mileage since '75 added up? Approaching 100k yet?

No...That's a long ways off. I'm sitting at 60233.2. I didn't run many miles from the mid 80's thru 2002. I always did everything short & fast. Once a week Sunday long runs were 10 miles. Now I'm doing 10 every day!
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:56 pm

iPhone app aptly named 'Running Log'.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Can someone send me the David Hayes spreadsheet?

I've googled it and everything points to a link that doesn't work anymore.

Thanks in advance.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Peg Coover wrote:

Do you still run?

alien

Once in a while. I just dont post about it. Smile My running is too boring for anyone else to care about.

Chris M wrote:

I couldn't remember why I use SportTracks. Now I do. Not kidding at all when I say that Ken was my original running guru when I got into this sport and I simply went with whatever he did.

Boy, how things have changed......
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Excel works for me.

And, sure Ken runs. Heck, he moved from Vermont to Round Rock just for the summer weather!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:34 pm

RunningAHEAD works pretty well for me to track runs and equipment use. It also plays nicely with Garmins.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next