365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obstacle Races

+3
Kenny B.
Mike MacLellan
Nick Morris
7 posters

Go down

Obstacle Races Empty Obstacle Races

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:30 am

So, this weekend was the Tough Mudder competition in Madison. With all of these obstacle races gaining in popularity, I was wondering if you consider them a running event or are they a totally different sport?

In my opinion, I do not consider them a running event/race and think that they are a different sport. Thoughts??

http://toughmudder.com/events/wisconsin/
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Obstacle Races Empty Re: Obstacle Races

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am

Not running, IMO. At least, not endurance/distance running. Maybe a series of long-ish sprints with some weird shit thrown in between Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Tough Mudder is coming to my town in November and it is 13 mile course and the only way you can get to each obstacle is by moving forward (forward progression). So if you run forward you will be running basically 13 miles with the added obstacles to boot. Sure it is NOT continuous running for 13 miles but call it 13 mile interval run. I see no difference and therefore I would call it running and 13 miles you need some endurance, other than the risk of injury which is the reason I decided not to do this along with it being right before Philly Marathon.

Now by USATF standards this is NOT a running event. But, it is if you are running no? I mean it ain't a pie eating contest. scratch

Now if you call Running of the Bulls running I would question that!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

I'd say the Running of the Bulls is more of a run than Tough Mudder, but that's just me. Very Happy

Then again, I question whether ultras - the ones that require walking - are still "running," or if they're glorified hiking...
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 pm

I'd say it's absolutely running. And I've found, whenever you do races like this with obstacles, it's much more difficult then running on a straight and flat trail that I usually run on for the same distance.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm

I see them as running events with a twist. But I run between the obstacles, while I see lots of people walking things like Warrior Dash. For those folks, I'm guessing they would call it something else. I do know a number of people who would not call themselves runners who do Warrior Dash. Tough Mudder I imagine has more runners simply because its distance is much longer.

I love Warrior Dash, but I don't worry about time in it and just go have fun with it.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 pm

I am in no way saying that obstacle races aren't challenging. I am just saying that I think that it is a different sport than running. Think about it...soccer, football, baseball, etc. all involve some sort of running...a lot of sports do...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 pm

Isn't the steeple chase a running event? I think it is.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:57 am

Bob wrote:Isn't the steeple chase a running event? I think it is.

That's what I was going to analogize to.

I consider them running events. I watched the urbanathlon last fall. While there were about 8 obstacles - including climbing over a school bus - the big majority of the time spent was running. So while there's an added element, I still think they're primarily a running event.

And unlike the team sports you listed, the goal in them is still to get from Point A to B in the least amount of time possible.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:23 am

I think they are running events and to be honest I think they seem pretty cool and would be fun to do. I can see for some running a marathon or actually any distance could be boring for them. So these events add the element of having to do other things during the running event.

My dad has always felt the way you could make a marathon interesting would be to blindfold the runners and remove the manhole covers on the roads.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down