365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY

+10
charles
Peg Coover
Jim Lentz
Alex Kubacki
Dave-O
Bob
John Kilpatrick
Kenny B.
Jim fredericks
Michele "1L" Keane
14 posters

Go down

Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Empty Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:45 pm

I'll put up a real report later, or in my blog, but for now, I finished in 1:12:27 which was better than the 1:15 that I expected. Not the prettiest run especially with the unanticipated potty break just after 10K.

Michele Keane #2167

Sandy Springs, GAAge: 49 Gender: F

clockFromString("1:12:27");
Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Digit_1Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Digit_58Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Digit_1Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Digit_2Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Digit_58Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Digit_2Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Digit_7

Distance15K
Clock Time1:13:12
Chip Time1:12:27
Overall Place1613 / 11047
Gender Place239 / 5072
Division Place30 / 474
Age Grade72%
Middle
5Ksplit24:07
10Ksplit47:04
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY Empty Re: Boilermaker 15K, Utica, NY

Post  Jim fredericks Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Nice job!!
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Sweet! Nice job going way under than expected.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Michele the Machine Keane - 30 of 474? Sweet! Can't wait to read the race report, but great job! 72% cheers

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Congrats, 1L!
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Looking forward to the full report. Sounds like a strong race.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 am

Great job. Nice placement.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Very nice race, Michele.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:59 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Michele the Machine Keane - 30 of 474? Sweet! Can't wait to read the race report, but great job! 72% cheers

Sweet!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Good job. Interested to hear your take on this storied race. Maybe how it compares to Peachtree. Two well known races I would like to run one day. Congrats on beating your goal time despite "issues."
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Nice Michele looking forward to the whole report.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Great job!!! You potty fast! Very Happy
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

ChasMcG wrote:Great job!!! You potty fast! Very Happy

Ha! It wasn't that easy given how sweaty I was, but it was an emergency.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 pm

The race report:

Earning that Beer in Utica!

I’ve always wanted to run the Boilermaker 15K and it has been on my bucket list of “old time. Classic races to run” for years. Since I was feeling good in March and I wasn’t running a spring marathon, I figured that I wouldn’t be beat up, so that this was the year to run it. Utica is only a 4 hr drive east from where I summer, and for years, I’ve heard stories from the local running community here about the race. So, it was decided that this was the year.

Of course feeling good in March did not necessarily translate to feeling good in mid-July. After a decent Spring, my re-occurring glute/hammie thing kicked into gear in early June and I’ve been dealing with some female issues as well that have both hurt my training some. I was not even sure 2 weeks ago if I would make it to Utica as I doubted some that I could really “run” a 9 mile race without some butt pain. But the weeks here went by and I got some training in, so I decided to dial back my expectations and run the race anyway.

The course elevation map is a bit deceptive as in actuality, the course uphill (in the beginning) does not really start until mile 3 (but does last until mile4), and what looks like a solid downhill finish really isn’t as well. I was fortunate enough to meet up with a fellow runner from Buffalo when I got to my hotel and he and his wife gave me the course run down at dinner (there is a local restaurant in Utica called Babes Macaroni Grill and Bar that gives free pasta meals to any runner the night before the race that brings in their number). He noted that the first 2 miles were actually rolling with just a little more downhill than it looks like. Mile 3 starts the climb through the golf course which is pretty steep and last until mile 4, and then there is mile 4 which is a sweet downhill that lasts until mile 5. Russ then warned me that miles 5-7 were actually a gradual uphill which looks flat, but isn’t and even though the road widens, it is not shaded. Mile 7 was fairly flat, but mile 8 was/is another steady incline until you reach the turn at mile 9 and head downhill to the finish. Based on what Russ told me, I aimed to go out conservatively and hoped to run 24-25 min 5K splits for the first two 5ks and then hopefully pick it up a bit from there. My goal was to run faster than 1:15 and hope to beat 1:10.

So race day morning comes and I head to the buses to the start. The weather feels cool (it was 58F) but humid and I hope that the cloud cover stays so that the sun doesn’t beat down on us later (the race is notorious for its warm temps and humidity). After a couple of potty runs, we line up in our corrals and we are off. The first two miles are indeed rolling but very shaded and filled with spectators. When we turn the corner at roughly 3 miles, the climb begins, but it doesn’t seem too bad. However, I’m not feeling real comfortable here and I feel like I’m working much harder than the time on my watch dictates. I also realize that my stomach is not really settled and I back off on taking water and instead take lots of cups of ice which I put on my head, down my running singlet, etc. Once I get to the top of the hill, the downhill feels like heaven and I run comfortably down passing a lot of runners. I’m happy with myself that after all these years I’ve learned to run downhill well, but I’m still not feeling as comfortable as I would like. Mile 5 takes you onto a parkway lined with spectators and music, but also out in the direct sunlight. I pass a building that indicates that the temperature is already 72F, and I realize that my stomach is not settling like I want it to. I press on, but I’m increasingly uncomfortable, and when I see the multiple port-a-potties at just after the 10K mark (and the start of the 5K which is why there were so many), I just dive into one. My 10K split is right on the money though with which I’m pleased.

After the quick break, I feel better but it takes me a bit to get back into the groove and I keep looking for the signs for the hospital and college as that is where the turn is (and another small hill) towards town. Mile 7 is ok, but as Russ predicted, I felt like I was bleeding time over mile 8 and its gradual incline to the final descent. The sun is out in full now, and runners around me are most definitely slowing down. I try to keep a steady pace, but the heat is getting to me now and honestly, I cannot wait for the finish. The crowds are enthusiastic at this point and I feel like I’m going to die but not until the finish line. Once I turn and see the 9 mile mark and final downhill, I give it whatever is left and I’m happy to cross the line in 1:12:27.

The post-race party is great with Saranac beer flowing everywhere. Good food (Chiobani yogurt which is made near Utica), popsicles, Pepsi, and beer, beer, beer. This is not your Mich Ultra but a true microbrew and despite my feeling beat up and tired, it goes down smoothly and I feel that it has been well earned.

Mile splits:

1 - 7:43

2 - 7:41

3 - 8:03

4 - 8:09

5 – 6:38

6 - 7:18

7 - 9:33

8 - 7:10

9 – 7:39

0.3 – 2:33

My time was good enough for 1613 overall, 239th woman, and 30th in my AG. Interestingly enough had I already been 50, my time would have been good enough for 4th place in the 50-55 AG. Hmm, maybe I’ll have to come back next year.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 am

Wow, Michele..well done!
Look at the mile 5 split! I'll say you know how to run down hills!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:49 am

Great job, Michele. That race is on my bucket list as well. Congrats on the strong race despite the heat, etc. Keep up the good work.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum