365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you believe in magic??

+18
Tom H
Mark B
Jim Lentz
Michael Mitchell
ChasMcG
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Matt W
Dave Wolfe
Penelope
Julie
healdgator
Dave-O
Peg Coover
Bob
Michele "1L" Keane
Joel H
Erin
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you believe in magic?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you believe in magic??

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Erin wrote:Thanks for stopping by guys! I know this isn't the world's most interesting blog, but it's already helping to motivate me in training Razz

Went for a little run this morning. 3 miles. Don't have a pace - my baby has hidden my Garmin somewhere and I need to track it down. It was slow, we'll just say that. Legs felt really heavy.

Uggh - WHEN IS THIS GOING TO GET EASIER?? I remember that at one time running was definitely fun - I can't WAIT for those days to come back again!! Right now I'm just slogging through... Question

By the way, the emoticons on this site rock.

My grandson keeps doing that with my daughter's Garmin! Once it was in his toy box here at my house. Then in their closet!

Just think, you are getting incredible workouts as you are making your come back, even if the miles aren't what they were! It WILL get easier!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Ha Peg - glad to hear I'm not the only one!! Still haven't found it... Frusterating!

I ran two miles today. It was actually cool here - the bank clock said 66 degrees when I ran by! AND it was raining just a little, usually my ideal weather. So I was excited to get out there and wanted to run more. But I have been feeling a little something in the top of my right foot lately - I had a stress fracture here in high school and while I am sure it's not another one, this area does get a little sore for me sometimes. I thought I would try going without my orthodics to see if this made a difference. Boy, did it. My foot felt fine, but not having the orthodics just threw everything off. That and I need new shoes, which didn't make anything better. So I decided to cut my losses and not do any more damage.

I'm going to try and get out again tomorrow depending on the weather - we are leaving early in the morning to take Abby to the zoo for the first time Very Happy so I won't be able to run then. Hopefully the afternoon will be ok!!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey Erin! It's too bad the run didn't work out well, but it seems like good proof that it's time to rotate in a new pair of shoes.

I hope you find your Garmin soon. Maybe your baby is holding on to it for a future run with mom?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:52 am

Erin, orthotics seem to be a hit and miss thing for runners. From what I have read it seems like they really do help some, but a surprisingly large part of the population end up taking them out as they either don't help or they actually make things worse. But for sure, if you think you need new shoes, you probably do. Glad to hear you got some cool running weather; it sounds like our counterparts in the Midwest are going to be baking for the next few days.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey guys. I'm back - hanging my head in shame... I wish I could say that my absence from blogging was not an absence from running but alas... I have done one run in the last week - 2 miles with the baby on Thursday. Honestly, it's the weather (I know you all know what I'm talking about) but just general lack of motivation. I am REALLY hoping that when the official 12 week training for the half starts at the end of August, it will pick me up. I do think it will, as when I know I have a schedule to follow and certain milage to hit, I will generally get there. I would say I almost always do, but that just hasn't been the case post baby. My running has always been most consistant and best when I have something at the end of the cycle which scares me - and 13.1 miles definitely does it at this point in my life. I miss the days so dearly when that was a normal to short weekend run!!

So much of athletics is a mental game. When you want to do it and you're driven and motivated, you'll find a way to get it done.

Wish I could find that magic...Neutral

One good thing - I did find my Garmin! And I'm planning to get new shoes this weekend!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 pm

hey it is OK. the heat is hard and it's hard to justify taking out a little toddler unless you know it's safe for them since they heat up 3x faster than adults. So I am pretty cautious about taking J out in the stroller too. She does pretty well, though so I could probably get her out more.

What do you need to do to schedule running in or make it happen? I know you're really busy working and have a little girl and there aren't minutes in the day for every thing but if you really want to run you need to make some plan of action to make it happen. For me that is either getting up at 4:15-4:45 and running early a.m. or planning to get the jogging stroller out and then doing it.

Not trying to be hard on you at all but trying to encourage you to make running a priority because it does sound important to you.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Erin I think the hardest thing to do is to get back into it. This past year after Boston I decided that I was going to take a week off from training for the first time in 3 years. Once I got back into it I got hit with some bad piriformis syndrome/ sciatic nerve problems. For the first time I was forced to take some time off another 2 1/2 weeks.

So my point with the above is that it was hard for me to get going again after that short break. I can only imagine what you have to go through with the long time off you had.

Were it is the same is by getting motivated and finding a groove again. I think the best thing you can do is go out and run consistently for the next 2 weeks and I will bet you will find your motivation and groove again. It will feel hard and will be hard but all you have to do is remind your body and mind what it is like to run on a consistent basis.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Erin wrote:
So much of athletics is a mental game. When you want to do it and you're driven and motivated, you'll find a way to get it done.

Wish I could find that magic...Neutral

Erin, I know exactly what you're talking about. It is very mental and it's something that I, myself, am really trying to work on. I'm in awe of those here that make it look so easy to just go out and run and then knock out killer paces on top of it! But guess what? You'll find that magic...to be honest, it sounds like you've already started to find it. You're getting new shoes! You're adjusting to two big things: a baby and a move to another state. The running is coming along just as it should be. You're doing a great job balancing things and before you know it, you'll be back at it all the time. You'll have to come back at some point to run March Madness again, that was a lot of fun with you!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:26 am

Erin,

I was laid off for 22 straight from running and I did comeback. But, I just never felt I left. I used the time off as purpose towards running in itself. My divine power was telling me "your not stopping running, you are just giving your body and mind the rest it needs." The journey of running is not just about the running but the times you don't run.

Erin you were never gone from running you were just preparing!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 am

Hang in there Erin - it will come back when you are ready for it to. I agree with Schuey that when you decide you are really ready, give it about 2 weeks and it will feel normal again. Glad your here and you'll get over the mental hurdle - when you do, have fun with it!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Glad you found the Garmin!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:25 pm

Is it possible your running malaise could be due to your recently donating blood? I used to be a regular donor, but found I just can't anymore. It always effects my workouts, but also, I'm always anemic (probably because of my running). Vicious circle!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi all!

Thanks so much for the visits and the encouragement! Peg - yes, I'm thrilled I found the Garmin! Natalie - I have never been anemic before - not sure. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism post partum which obviously could cause lethargy and slow paces, but my TSH level has been good (recently checked in June). So I don't think that's it. I honestly think I have the rest of my life to blame...

The good news is that I have been running some - even if I haven't been blogging! I got out for a run Wednesday before Whit left on his trip, but I had to go at lunchtime, which meant temps in the high 90s. I was pretty convinced when I turned around at mile 1.5, I was not going to make it home. But I managed to pick it up a little on the way back and averaged around 11:10/mi for the run (I didn't reset my watch before the run today - so it's not exact).

No runs Thursday and Friday because I had to work. And too much to get done on Saturday.

This morning, I went for a run with my friend Karen, who is a personal trainer and tennis pro. She is training for the marathon the same day as my half. Needless to say, she's in MUCH better shape than me. But she's been bugging me to go with her for a while, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I just got my new shoes on Saturday (Mizuno Wave Elixers) and thought I'd give them a 4 mile break in. Karen was doing 8, so she ran to my house, we did a loop, then she added on. And that run averaged about 9:40/mi. I was pretty darn convinced I was going to die. But we kept talking and she kept encouraging me and I got it done. I know that running with other people can be good because it pushes you and makes you do things you are not sure you can. It did feel really good to know I can still hold that pace for any distance alien
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 am

Glad you're getting out there and running! Sounds like a great run with your friend. I have a friend like that, she is so much faster than I am and every run feels like a speedwork session but she has really helped me push myself and get overall faster.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:05 am

Maybe having someone to run with will be key for you. I know for me, motivation is sometimes the biggest factor, so if someone else could kick my butt, I think it would help.

Good luck!
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Checking in to say hi. How is the running coming?
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Uggh. That's all I can say about this blog.

Thanks for checking in on me Kathy Smile

Luckily, uggh does not also apply for my running! Still slow but it's coming!! I officially started my 12 week half marathon plan this week (Hal's Novice) and I got all the workouts done! Not exactly where they should have been, but it happened.

8.24 3 mi easy (10:31 pace)

8.25 2 mi easy (11:10 pace) with stroller

8.27 3 mi easy (no time - Garmin messed up)

8.28 4 mi long (10:52 pace)

Maybe I can get in here once a week and let you all know how it's going... Wish me luck!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Glad you're getting more running in, Erin! Stick with it!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 pm

We're now about to hit the golden period for running in the south - Sept/Oct until April. Get ready to enjoy that winter running!
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:28 am

Keep up with the running as much as you can, but remember you're human, not superwoman, so don't be too hard on yourself. I know how hard it was for me to get back into it, and being out of shape made it even harder, but it does come back. I think once you're in a groove it'll be easy to maintain, it's just a matter of getting there first.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2