365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blisters

+7
carleenp
KBFitz
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Admin
Stephanie
11 posters

Go down

Blisters Empty Blisters

Post  Stephanie Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Ouch! I've got a bad blister between my big toe & my second toe and it doesn't seem to be going away. Any tips? Tape it? Pop it? Suck it up? LOL!!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Blisters Empty Re: Blisters

Post  Admin Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 pm

I lance the clear fluid blisters but not blood blisters. I tend to let the top skin dry out then peel it back... often I do it too early while the new skin underneath is still pink and tender. Then, I run anyway! Once, I blistered both feet so bad I put gauze and duct tape over them and ran anyway. Bad idea. Really, bad idea.

Lance it, apply antiseptic, then slap a bandaid on it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:26 pm

I'd go with this technique...

GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Blister bandaids work quite well. They are available at most drugstores.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 pm

All good tips. If red blister I use Mole skin over it and cover the sticky part just enough with the opposite side of the mole skin to cover the blister so the mole skin sticky part does not sit on the blister only the ends. Make sense?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Lance it tonight. Don't remove the skin. Let it dry.

Apply Vaseline, Aquaphor or other running lube liberally next time you run.

Don't worry. Be happy. Blisters Smiley
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:12 pm

I stick a needle in some rubbing alcohol and poke a couple of holes in the blister and push slightly on it to help it drain. That leaves the protective skin on it rather nicely. Then I just let that dry out and wear off normally. There usually is no pain and no problems.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:49 pm

KBFitz wrote:Lance it tonight. Don't remove the skin. Let it dry.

Apply Vaseline, Aquaphor or other running lube liberally next time you run.

Don't worry. Be happy. Blisters Smiley

+1...No doubt... Very Happy
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 am

Looks like lancing it is the answer. Thanks everyone! Man this bugger hurts! But I kinda like it... a mini-war wound. Smile

Carleen I think I like your technique... gonna give it a try! Thanks!

And GregC... I'm too scared to watch that video you posted. LOL! I am assuming it's pretty gross. Someone else give it a watch and post a review. Wink
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:34 am

Stephanie O wrote:Looks like lancing it is the answer. Thanks everyone! Man this bugger hurts! But I kinda like it... a mini-war wound. Smile

And GregC... I'm too scared to watch that video you posted. LOL! I am assuming it's pretty gross. Someone else give it a watch and post a review. Wink
The video is a bit gross, but funny.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:03 am

Jim Lentz wrote:
Stephanie O wrote:Looks like lancing it is the answer. Thanks everyone! Man this bugger hurts! But I kinda like it... a mini-war wound. Smile

The video is a bit gross, but funny.

I agree that the movie clip is both gross, but funny...

I can't believe that people still have beef with this movie. I went into it not expecting it to be an accurate portrayal of training for and running a marathon. I just find Simon Pegg to be hilarious. I guess it comes down to what you are looking for in a movie.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 am

Body glide your feet before a run! That will help but I would check your shoes too. I'm not sure but I think if your shoes don't fit properly, it will cause more blistering than usual. You might want to verify that with a shoe expert though

Body glide though. Helps!

That was probably the funniest part in that whole movie!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 am

ChasMcG wrote:Body glide your feet before a run! That will help but I would check your shoes too. I'm not sure but I think if your shoes don't fit properly, it will cause more blistering than usual. You might want to verify that with a shoe expert though

Ooooo this I will try today!!! I've got some in the cupboard!! I also think I will pop into the store where I bought my runners from - Kinavaras... love 'em btw... but I think they fit a tad more narrow than I am used to. Never had blisters between my toes before so maybe the shoes are bringing my toes too close together. The owner of the store is amazing so I know he'll have a good idea about what's going on. Thanks ChasMcG!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 am

Stephanie O wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:Body glide your feet before a run! That will help but I would check your shoes too. I'm not sure but I think if your shoes don't fit properly, it will cause more blistering than usual. You might want to verify that with a shoe expert though

Ooooo this I will try today!!! I've got some in the cupboard!! I also think I will pop into the store where I bought my runners from - Kinavaras... love 'em btw... but I think they fit a tad more narrow than I am used to. Never had blisters between my toes before so maybe the shoes are bringing my toes too close together. The owner of the store is amazing so I know he'll have a good idea about what's going on. Thanks ChasMcG!
Thinner socks can help with that. I find that wearing Balaga socks with my Kinvaras make for a tight fit. Wright socks lite work a lot better for me with those shoes.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Thinner socks can help with that. I find that wearing Balaga socks with my Kinvaras make for a tight fit. Wright socks lite work a lot better for me with those shoes.
I was wondering about this. Right now my socks are quite thick and probably aren't helping the situation. I'll pick up some thinner ones before my next run.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:32 pm

I use Asics running powder in my socks to prevent blisters. It works better for me on long runs than using body glide does. But I have a friend who is just the opposite, so it can worth trying both. I give 5 big shakes of the bottle into each sock. I too prefer thin socks and tend to blister more with the thicker ones.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:50 pm

carleenp wrote:I use Asics running powder in my socks to prevent blisters. It works better for me on long runs than using body glide does. But I have a friend who is just the opposite, so it can worth trying both. I give 5 big shakes of the bottle into each sock. I too prefer thin socks and tend to blister more with the thicker ones.
Carleen where do you get this powder from? I'd like to give it a try in addition to the thinner socks. Hopefully I can get this powder somewhere in Canada. Unfortunately one of the blisters is now a blood blister (OUCH!) but the new thinner socks really helped the other foot. Maybe the powder will give me that extra help I need. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Stephanie O wrote:
carleenp wrote:I use Asics running powder in my socks to prevent blisters. It works better for me on long runs than using body glide does. But I have a friend who is just the opposite, so it can worth trying both. I give 5 big shakes of the bottle into each sock. I too prefer thin socks and tend to blister more with the thicker ones.
Carleen where do you get this powder from? I'd like to give it a try in addition to the thinner socks. Hopefully I can get this powder somewhere in Canada. Unfortunately one of the blisters is now a blood blister (OUCH!) but the new thinner socks really helped the other foot. Maybe the powder will give me that extra help I need. Smile

I order mine from Road Runner Sports, but I have also seen it and similar powders at the local running store. It basically is like talc powder, but formulated with stuff like oatmeal added to make it extra absorbent. I bet a running store in your area would have either it or something similar.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Stephanie O wrote:Ouch! I've got a bad blister between my big toe & my second toe and it doesn't seem to be going away. Any tips? Tape it? Pop it? Suck it up? LOL!!

If you run long enough, you'll eventually end up with a blister somewhere. All the available products seem to only delay its occurrence.
My personal standard treatment is prepping the area with rubbing alcohol, then lance it and leave the skin on (if it's still there).
Broken blisters usually dry up over night. If it's really hindering your runs, you may want to consider duct taping it on the fly or in advance.

By the way, did you mean "suck it up" literally? Because I've always wondered if blister juice would taste like my sweat or coconut water. Let me know.

Last edited by Kevin L on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Kevin L wrote:If you run long enough, you'll eventually end up with a blister
somewhere. All the available products seem to only delay its occurrence.
My personal standard treatment is prepping the area with rubbing
alcohol, then lance it and leave the skin on (if it's still there).
Broken blisters usually dry up over night. If it's really hindering your runs, you may want to consider duct taping it on the fly or in advance.

By the way, did you mean "suck it up" literally? Because I've always wondered if blister juice would taste like my sweat or coconut water. Let me know.
Hahaha, no I meant it in the 'suck it up buttercup' sense. Razz
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down