365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's all about the base

5 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

It's all about the base - Page 5 Empty Re: It's all about the base

Post  nkrichards Sat May 29, 2021 7:38 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Saw Kevin on PBS news hour a minute ago!
Hopefully we're recording it to watch later.  They interviewed him yesterday.

If your recording doesn't work.
PBS NewsHour | Season 2021 | May 28, 2021 - PBS NewsHour full episode | PBS

It worked but thanks for the link as others have asked.  His part was quite short and they used a lot of old footage but it wasn't a bad little blurb.

Decided to play today and see if I had the patience to keep my HR <140 during my easy 6 miles.  I was curious what pace that would require.

6 miles @ 11:19 HR 134/147 Cadence 156

So the average was nice and low but I did pop up over 140 bmp a few times...mostly hills but also a little HR creep.  Unfortunately the cadence also dropped.  My pace was only a few seconds slower than my Wed and Thur easy runs...which were also pretty low HR.  If I have time I'll post my splits.  The main difference was I did not speed up as the run progressed today and I did on Wed and Thurs.  But if you go back and look at runs this time last year it's a HUGE improvement.  I'll see if I can dig up something to post.

The boys are spending the night.   Shocked Smile  Have a great weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 pm

It got HOT here.  I'm a cold weather runner!!

Sunday Dynamic Recovery

Monday 6 easy and warm miles

6 miles @ 11:28 HR 138/152 Cad 156

Kept it slow enough to avoid raising the HR to much.  Had to slow the cadence to do it.

Tuesday Today was a big test.  Melissa does allow training plan changes to allow for work or family conflicts.  She very strongly discourages cancelling or even rescheduling for less than ideal weather.  She insists that it helps us to learn we can race in less than great conditions and after all we can't chose the weather on race day.  So...I had to rake hay for a couple hours so wasn't able to head out till after 7:00.  It was already starting to get warm and I was less than optimistic.  And I had an interval run on the schedule.

Warm up 2 miles @ 11:47 HR 136/158 Cad 155  Included dynamic mobility in my warm up.
3.75 miles w/5 x 800 (400 rest) Goal pace 5K-10K 9:04-9:27 HR 152/165 Cad 162

1. 9:15
  2. 9:02
  3. 8:57
  4. 9:16
  5. 8:42

Cool down 2.25 miles @ 11:34 Cad 159

I actually felt pretty decent once I got through the warm up and mobility work.  It was warm but there was a bit of shade on my course.  Other than the lapse in the 4th interval (there was a hill) I met Melissa's goal of pushing to 5K pace if I felt good.  The cool down was in the direct sun and it did get quite warm.  Mission accomplished.  I ran well in less than ideal conditions.

Wednesday Another tough day.  I had to fast for a blood draw and wasn't allowed to exercise before the draw.  I took time to get a bit of fuel in.  It was warm when I started my easy 6 miler.

6 miles @ 12:38 HR 144/162 Cad 149

This was actually 5.5 miles @ 11:56.  I walked the last half mile.  It was 82 degrees and I figured I had done enough to acclimate and the last half mile would just be punishment.

Showered and had lunch with Marty and then headed to Portland for a visit with Mom, time with Katie and an appointment with Dr. B.

Thursday Boot camp with Katie at her gym.  It was fun as I know several of the ladies from our Boot Camp retreats in Hawaii and Mexico.  

Showered and off to see Dr. B.  Appointment went well.  I've graduated to a lower risk level and no longer require annual ECGs.  Dr. B was quite pleased with my cholesterol levels.  He mentioned that we had finally found the sweet spot where the low dose of atorvastatin (15mg) wasn't affecting my liver function and my LDL (63) HDL (67) and Triglycerides (67) were all at similar levels.  We talked at length about my running and he said he would send a message to Dr Baggish in Boston to let him know how well I was doing.

One slight concern that showed up on my last couple blood tests was high platelet levels...clotting?  He suggested I have my GP follow up.  He is going to refer me to a hematologist.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Picked up strawberries for Mom on my way home.  She was good Wednesday night but was having a rough day on Thursday.

Friday 10 Rounds Upper Body and then off to the overlook for 12 miles.

12 miles @ 11:13 HR 147/164 Cad 156

I eased off on the pace and cadence in comparison to my last couple 12 mile runs.  It was warm and that is reflected in the HR.  But I was able to push the last 3 miles and build to a strong finish and a solid negative split.  May the heat acclimation continue...

I'm enjoying my training...even when it's warm...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Really glad your heart is doing well! And yes, these hot runs are getting harder! But something rather satisfying about coming home dripping in sweat, don't you think? Or maybe I'm just weird. Ha.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:31 am

Julie wrote:Really glad your heart is doing well! And yes, these hot runs are getting harder! But something rather satisfying about coming home dripping in sweat, don't you think? Or maybe I'm just weird. Ha.
Thanks for dropping in Julie.  I really struggle to get motivated to run in the heat.  I'm definitely more of a cold weather runner.  That said, I've signed up for coaching and my coach insists that I complete my run even if it's windy, raining, or hot.  She says you can't choose the weather on race day.  I completed a tough interval workout on a warm day last week.  It was quite satisfying!  And it looks like my 10K on June 19th will be a warm one...

Great to hear from you.  Enjoy your warm weather training.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:28 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Saw Kevin on PBS news hour a minute ago!
Hopefully we're recording it to watch later.  They interviewed him yesterday.

If your recording doesn't work.

It worked but thanks for the link as others have asked.  His part was quite short and they used a lot of old footage but it wasn't a bad little blurb.

Decided to play today and see if I had the patience to keep my HR <140 during my easy 6 miles.  I was curious what pace that would require.

6 miles @ 11:19 HR 134/147 Cadence 156

So the average was nice and low but I did pop up over 140 bmp a few times...mostly hills but also a little HR creep.  Unfortunately the cadence also dropped.  My pace was only a few seconds slower than my Wed and Thur easy runs...which were also pretty low HR.  If I have time I'll post my splits.  The main difference was I did not speed up as the run progressed today and I did on Wed and Thurs.  But if you go back and look at runs this time last year it's a HUGE improvement.  I'll see if I can dig up something to post.

The boys are spending the night.   Shocked Smile  Have a great weekend.
Shouldn't be concerned with a couple of 140's for the reasons you surmised.  You'll find, I think, that over time & runs, that doing a low HR run will pay off because it allows the heart to kick back without noticing you're running X distance.  It's another tweak to running faster at a lower HR, like a diesel engine.

You're definitely better off, this year.  My question would be...how do you think you would do with the stats, if Melissa was your coach, last year?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:37 pm

nkrichards wrote:It got HOT here.  I'm a cold weather runner!!

Sunday Dynamic Recovery

Monday 6 easy and warm miles

6 miles @ 11:28 HR 138/152 Cad 156

Kept it slow enough to avoid raising the HR to much.  Had to slow the cadence to do it.

Tuesday Today was a big test.  Melissa does allow training plan changes to allow for work or family conflicts.  She very strongly discourages cancelling or even rescheduling for less than ideal weather.  She insists that it helps us to learn we can race in less than great conditions and after all we can't chose the weather on race day.  So...I had to rake hay for a couple hours so wasn't able to head out till after 7:00.  It was already starting to get warm and I was less than optimistic.  And I had an interval run on the schedule.

Warm up 2 miles @ 11:47 HR 136/158 Cad 155  Included dynamic mobility in my warm up.
3.75 miles w/5 x 800 (400 rest) Goal pace 5K-10K 9:04-9:27 HR 152/165 Cad 162

1. 9:15
  2. 9:02
  3. 8:57
  4. 9:16
  5. 8:42

Cool down 2.25 miles @ 11:34 Cad 159

I actually felt pretty decent once I got through the warm up and mobility work.  It was warm but there was a bit of shade on my course.  Other than the lapse in the 4th interval (there was a hill) I met Melissa's goal of pushing to 5K pace if I felt good.  The cool down was in the direct sun and it did get quite warm.  Mission accomplished.  I ran well in less than ideal conditions.

Wednesday Another tough day.  I had to fast for a blood draw and wasn't allowed to exercise before the draw.  I took time to get a bit of fuel in.  It was warm when I started my easy 6 miler.

6 miles @ 12:38 HR 144/162 Cad 149

This was actually 5.5 miles @ 11:56.  I walked the last half mile.  It was 82 degrees and I figured I had done enough to acclimate and the last half mile would just be punishment.

Showered and had lunch with Marty and then headed to Portland for a visit with Mom, time with Katie and an appointment with Dr. B.

Thursday Boot camp with Katie at her gym.  It was fun as I know several of the ladies from our Boot Camp retreats in Hawaii and Mexico.  

Showered and off to see Dr. B.  Appointment went well.  I've graduated to a lower risk level and no longer require annual ECGs.  Dr. B was quite pleased with my cholesterol levels.  He mentioned that we had finally found the sweet spot where the low dose of atorvastatin (15mg) wasn't affecting my liver function and my LDL (63) HDL (67) and Triglycerides (67) were all at similar levels.  We talked at length about my running and he said he would send a message to Dr Baggish in Boston to let him know how well I was doing.

One slight concern that showed up on my last couple blood tests was high platelet levels...clotting?  He suggested I have my GP follow up.  He is going to refer me to a hematologist.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Picked up strawberries for Mom on my way home.  She was good Wednesday night but was having a rough day on Thursday.

Friday 10 Rounds Upper Body and then off to the overlook for 12 miles.

12 miles @ 11:13 HR 147/164 Cad 156

I eased off on the pace and cadence in comparison to my last couple 12 mile runs.  It was warm and that is reflected in the HR.  But I was able to push the last 3 miles and build to a strong finish and a solid negative split.  May the heat acclimation continue...

I'm enjoying my training...even when it's warm...
Good numbers on the blood work.  I would like to know what your platelet number was, please.  Yes, platelets are the clotters in the blood.  I know what my average platelet count is from donating them for years.  Doing a platelet donation won't 'cure' it because they replenish within 48 hours.  You may just have a wonderful platelet and RBC producing bone marrow.  If that's true, you'll never bleed to death.  Do you take a baby aspirin?

I'll try to comment on later posts.  Glad you're acclimating.  This week's runs for me have been at 79-81 degrees with a heat index of 91 at 4:00 a.m.   pale
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks for dropping in Doug.  I appreciate the input you offer.

You're definitely better off, this year.  My question would be...how do you think you would do with the stats, if Melissa was your coach, last year?

I think I was able to get started down the road to lower HR running last year due to running more in general and specifically more with Janice (slower).  Melissa has encouraged me to continue to log lots of miles and lots of easy miles while slipping in a couple SOS (Something of Substance) runs per week.  The regular Hanson plans have SOS runs 3 days a week.  Melissa would prefer that I just do two so that I have time to recover and make sure I get in those easy miles...and lots of them.  I'm really enjoying her guidance.

Good numbers on the blood work.  I would like to know what your platelet number was, please.  Yes, platelets are the clotters in the blood.  I know what my average platelet count is from donating them for years.  Doing a platelet donation won't 'cure' it because they replenish within 48 hours.  You may just have a wonderful platelet and RBC producing bone marrow.  If that's true, you'll never bleed to death.  Do you take a baby aspirin?

I do take a baby aspirin.  I also take fish oil which thins the blood.

Here's my platelet numbers.

• 9/23/20  616
  • 5/12/21  536
  • 5/24/21  574
  • 6/2/21    599

I still haven't heard from the hematologist...I'll have to check on the status of my referral.  I'm nervous as my heart attack was caused by a blood clot...as opposed to "normal" gunk building up in the artery over time.  Neither Dr. B or the GP seem overly concerned but have encouraged me to look into it.

Luke Humphrey Running offered a discount for the InsideTracker program.  They do a more comprehensive blood test and then make recommendations based on your biomarkers.  Marty and I both decided to do it.  It was interesting.  Marty has high cholesterol but refuses to take a statin.  The issues that I expected for me did show up...the platelets and very slightly elevated liver function numbers.  It was interesting to note that even though Marty and I spend a lot of time outside in the sun we are both on the low side of vitamin D levels...mine was 31.  Our Ferritin was also on the low end...mine was 21.  We eat more red meat then recommended and it's grass fed as our kids/grandkids raise beef, pork, and lamb.  I had a couple other issues show up that they recommended I work on.  I need to spend some time looking at them.  They are borderline and things that I don't completely understand.  I'll update once I've had a chance to look closer.

Running is going well.  It's been a busy week and I'm managing to get all my runs in...in the past I often just skipped runs when I got busy or conditions weren't great.  The weather has cooled considerably so acclimation has come to a screeching halt.  And it's predicted to be HOT for my 10K on June 19th.   What a Face

Challenging run today.  I'll update later...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 am

nkrichards wrote:Thanks for dropping in Doug.  I appreciate the input you offer.

I think I was able to get started down the road to lower HR running last year due to running more in general and specifically more with Janice (slower).  Melissa has encouraged me to continue to log lots of miles and lots of easy miles while slipping in a couple SOS (Something of Substance) runs per week.  The regular Hanson plans have SOS runs 3 days a week.  Melissa would prefer that I just do two so that I have time to recover and make sure I get in those easy miles...and lots of them.  I'm really enjoying her guidance.

• 9/23/20  616
  • 5/12/21  536
  • 5/24/21  574
  • 6/2/21    599

I still haven't heard from the hematologist...I'll have to check on the status of my referral.  I'm nervous as my heart attack was caused by a blood clot...as opposed to "normal" gunk building up in the artery over time.  Neither Dr. B or the GP seem overly concerned but have encouraged me to look into it.

Luke Humphrey Running offered a discount for the InsideTracker program.  They do a more comprehensive blood test and then make recommendations based on your biomarkers.  Marty and I both decided to do it.  It was interesting.  Marty has high cholesterol but refuses to take a statin.  The issues that I expected for me did show up...the platelets and very slightly elevated liver function numbers.  It was interesting to note that even though Marty and I spend a lot of time outside in the sun we are both on the low side of vitamin D levels...mine was 31.  Our Ferritin was also on the low end...mine was 21.  We eat more red meat then recommended and it's grass fed as our kids/grandkids raise beef, pork, and lamb.  I had a couple other issues show up that they recommended I work on.  I need to spend some time looking at them.  They are borderline and things that I don't completely understand.  I'll update once I've had a chance to look closer.

Running is going well.  It's been a busy week and I'm managing to get all my runs in...in the past I often just skipped runs when I got busy or conditions weren't great.  The weather has cooled considerably so acclimation has come to a screeching halt.  And it's predicted to be HOT for my 10K on June 19th.   What a Face

Yes, those are very high figures alright.  The highest that I have ever seen on me was 383.  Now, it's averaging 270 which, when I was donating platelets, they loved it when I donated 3x the normal in one sitting.  I have A+ blood, which is universal in the platelet world.  

You're making your baby aspirin earn its keep every single day by trying to coat (like Teflon) all of those platelets.

Regarding the lab work, you could also try walkinlab.com and see how much of a price difference it is.  You choose the lab (Quest or LabCorp) and the lab tests to be done.  The prices for the lab work are on the website and you pay for it on the website.

Regarding vitamin D, I've been taking 10,000 units every day for 2 years, now.  My level is 89 out of 100, as of April.  You could take 5,000 units a day and it'll raise your level.  Maybe use Marty as a guinea pig.  

Glad your running is running along nicely.  Send us some of that cooler weather, PLEASE!  Keep at it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:58 pm

I hope your race goes well this weekend! I hope it's cooler

It's ridiculously hot for June in Nebraska. We're supposed to hit 106 actual temp on Thurs!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:15 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Thanks for dropping in Doug.  I appreciate the input you offer.

• 9/23/20  616
  • 5/12/21  536
  • 5/24/21  574
  • 6/2/21    599

Yes, those are very high figures alright.  The highest that I have ever seen on me was 383.  Now, it's averaging 270 which, when I was donating platelets, they loved it when I donated 3x the normal in one sitting.  I have A+ blood, which is universal in the platelet world.  

You're making your baby aspirin earn its keep every single day by trying to coat (like Teflon) all of those platelets.

Regarding the lab work, you could also try walkinlab.com and see how much of a price difference it is.  You choose the lab (Quest or LabCorp) and the lab tests to be done.  The prices for the lab work are on the website and you pay for it on the website.

Regarding vitamin D, I've been taking 10,000 units every day for 2 years, now.  My level is 89 out of 100, as of April.  You could take 5,000 units a day and it'll raise your level.  Maybe use Marty as a guinea pig.  

Glad your running is running along nicely.  Send us some of that cooler weather, PLEASE!  Keep at it.
I finally gave the hematologist a call.  They had not received my referral.  I now have a July 23rd appointment.  Good thing I'm not dying.   What a Face

I still haven't had time to really scrutinize the data from the Inside Tracker blood test.  I did research a couple things and it seems like several things seem to come back to statins including vitamin D.  And contradictions.  Eat less red meat to reduce inflammation.  Eat more red meat to raise iron levels.  

To late.  Cool weather is a thing of the past.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:49 pm

Julie wrote:I hope your race goes well this weekend! I hope it's cooler

It's ridiculously hot for June in Nebraska. We're supposed to hit 106 actual temp on Thurs!
Thanks Julie.  I'm excited to race again and nervous about the heat.  Not as hot as Nebraska but warmer than I'm used to yet.

Boy am I behind posting my run training.

Saturday 6/6 10 Round Lower Body, 6 easy miles
6.0 @ 11:20 HR 141/154 Cad 156

Sunday Rest day

Monday 6 miles @ 11:12 HR 138/161 Cad 158

Tuesday Parts run and visit with Mom

Wednesday 8 miles w/3 x (600-400-200) Goal paces 9:04, 8:20, fast

WU 2 miles @ 11:50 

1. 8:33 - 8:08 - 7:13
  2. 8:29 - 8:08 - 7:18
  3. 8:22 - 7:50 - 7:26

CD 2.25 miles @ 11:22

Fast Freddy and I were both exhausted by the end of those intervals.  But we had fun and we had coach Melissa's blessing to push the pace.

Thursday 10 Rounds Lower Body, 6 easy miles
6 miles @ 11:39 HR 137/160 Cad 157

Friday  10 Rounds Upper Body, 10 miles w/3 x 1.5 miles Goal pace HM (9:53) dropping to 9:43.

WU 2 miles @ 11:41

1. 9:51
  2. 9:42
  3. 9:41

CD 2 miles @ 11:38

Saturday 6 miles @ 11:22 HR 136/158 Cad 156 then off to the coast for the dinner train and a night away from the farm.

Sunday  Visited Mom on our way home from the coast and then did our Dynamic Recovery

Monday 10 Rounds Lower Body, 6 easy miles
6 miles @ 11:22 HR 145/162 Cad 157  (Warm and humid)

Tuesday 10 Rounds Upper Body, 8.6 miles w/ 3 x (400-800-400) Goal paces 8:20-9:04, 9:04-9:27, 8:20-9:04

WU 2 miles @ 11:47 HR 128/143

1. 8:41 - 9:15 - 8:42
  2. 8:38 - 9:08 - 8:41
  3. 8:30 - 8:53 - 8:18

CD 2.25 miles @ 11:17 HR 137/144 

Wednesday 6 miles @ 11:22 HR 136/157 Cad 156

Thursday Rest day.  Coffee with Janice, Chuck, and Nailan.

That's a lot of data to digest.  Here's the summary.  I'm having fun.  I'm finding training challenging but very doable.  I'm getting better at hitting the goal paces Coach Melissa assigns.  I'm pleased to see the HR data...during runs, directly after, and resting.  Cadence is nothing to get to excited about but it's a slight improvement over 15 months ago.

And I'm excited to be racing on Saturday.  It's going to be warm so I'm trying not to get overly ambitious with pace goals.  But it is a race so I plan to take Fast Freddy along for the ride.  I just hope I can tune him out for the first couple miles.   Razz

Easy 3 mile run with a few strides mixed in tomorrow morning.  I'll head to Portland after lunch.

Damn I don't remember being this nervous two days before races in the past...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 pm

So, how'd the race go? I'm hoping it was scheduled earlier in the day before it got hot.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:42 pm

Mark B wrote:So, how'd the race go? I'm hoping it was scheduled earlier in the day before it got hot.

The race was awesome Mark.  I forgot how much I enjoy the race atmosphere and visiting with other runners.  Even though it was a staggered start and we were all spread out it still had that race atmosphere.  I did have a fairly early start (8:15).  I wish it had been even earlier but it worked out OK for me.  Lots of people were still starting after I had finished and cooled down.

So...quick version of my race report.

Goal was sub 1 hour so 9:30ish pace.  Melissa reminded me that the goal of this event was to bust off the race rust and assess my fitness level.  She instructed me to be patient the first couple miles, build if I felt good, and make the last mile hurt a little.   Laughing  I like her attitude.

Here's my splits...

1. 9:45
  2. 9:29
  3. 9:23
  4. 9:20
  5. 9:07
  6. 8:51
  7. @8:21

Finish time 57:51 Pace 9:17

44/122 Overall
14/50 Female
1/4 AG

353 runners in all three distances (5K, 10K, Half)

So...maybe a bit to conservative for the first mile?  Melissa was pretty happy with my splits.  She did ask me to do a warm up mile with my mobility work included.  And do a cool down mile after the run.  I've never warmed up or cooled down that much before.  I will admit that I was pretty stiff and sore right after I finished but by the time I did my cool down mile I felt pretty good...even after the long drive home.

Pretty happy with this result!!

Back to real life.  Long hours in the tractor, temps in the 90's with 100+ in the prediction, wildfire smoke...  Managed to find time for an easy 6 miles before I baled hay this morning.  Fortunately it was still cool and the smoke wasn't terrible.  It's going to be a loooong summer.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:55 pm

I felt surprising good after my race on Saturday.  Wasn't overly sore or tired on Sunday or Monday.  But I'm finding my runs slightly difficult now.  Not sure if it's delayed fatigue from the race or the heat or the hours on the tractor.  Probably a combination of all of the above.  Melissa's advice is just to slow down and do what feels comfortable.

Monday had 6 easy miles on the schedule.  

6 miles @ 11:28 HR 139/152 Cad 156

Tuesday The plan was 8 easy miles as I continued to recover from the race.  Slight adjustment.  I'm running earlier so that it's a bit cooler and I'm struggling to get through my morning routine before I head out the door.  I had to swing back by the house to use the bathroom and I ended up on the tractor for a couple hours. Ended up getting the miles in but the run was split.

4.1 miles @ 11:35 133/148 Cad 157
4.5 miles @ 10:59 143/159 Cad 156

Wednesday 10 Rounds Lower Body.  Rest day from running.

Thursday The plan was 8 miles today and 12 miles tomorrow but I had more time today so we switched the runs.  I set my bottle of Infinit on the mailbox and ran 4 mile loops so that I wasn't to far away from hydration or the bathroom.  That part of the run went well.  Not a bad run but I struggled a bit more than usual.  I was able to run a negative split so it wasn't a bad effort.

12 miles @11:27 HR 142/161 Cad 156

Friday The 8 miler was on the schedule for this morning with 4 x :15 strides near the end.  Goal-Fast!  Shocked  
I wanted to put the strides in my watch to remind me when to start and stop so I ran 7 then reset the watch to start the strides.  Carried my Infinit this morning.

7 miles @ 11:35 HR 134/146 Cad 155
1 mile with strides @ 11:21 HR 137/145 Cad 156
Average pace for strides 7:54

A bit slower run but I like the HR!  Cadence slow.  I am feeling the effects of more training than I normally do this time of year.

Saturday is a rest day.  

The real heat wave starts tomorrow.  Sweaty This week has just been a preview of coming attractions.  I'll take it a day at a time and see how things go.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:34 pm

Hang in there with the heat! (And congrats on the AG win!)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:15 pm

Belated congrats on the race! Those are nice splits, nice and speedy! Congrats on the AG win, too. 

I know this isn't for everybody, but I've been just running holding my water bottle ever since I had my boys (breastfeeding twins = much need for hydration) and my hand is really used to it. I just say that because of your 4 mile loop to be near the mail box. I know not everyone wants to do that, but more of my friends are running with at least a small bottle of water in a belt or something. 

Hang in there with the heat.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:20 pm

Mark B wrote:Hang in there with the heat! (And congrats on the AG win!)

Julie wrote:Belated congrats on the race! Those are nice splits, nice and speedy! Congrats on the AG win, too. 

I know this isn't for everybody, but I've been just running holding my water bottle ever since I had my boys (breastfeeding twins = much need for hydration) and my hand is really used to it. I just say that because of your 4 mile loop to be near the mail box. I know not everyone wants to do that, but more of my friends are running with at least a small bottle of water in a belt or something. 

Hang in there with the heat.
Thanks Mark and Julie.  I added another AG win on the 4th but I think I was the only runner in my age group.  Laughing  I'll post details later.

Julie...the main purpose for the 4 mile loop was so I could circle past the house in case I needed the bathroom.  For some reason GI issues have been a problem this year.  Not sure of the cause.  Heat?  Maybe it's the fact that I don't really have a morning routine.  I seem to be struggling on the best of days.  Embarassed  Anyway the loop seemed like a good/safe compromise.  The added benefit was that the aid station assembled on top of the mailbox gave me practice for race day aid stations.  I don't like to carry water but I do have a handheld that I use and I am getting used to it.  I was pretty nervous about GI issues during my race on the 4th but I didn't have any trouble at all...and then today I barely made it back to the house during my easy 6.   What a Face

Quick summary for last week...I survived!  I'll post more a bit later.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:03 pm

Last week was HOT, HOTTER, HOTTEST  It was miserable....but I did survive.

Monday I reserved a party barge on Lake Billy Chinook months ago and we had a family day planned.  We nearly cancelled as it was sooo hot but we decided to take it out and just call it a day when it got to hot.  The kids lasted till 1:00 so it was well worth it.  Fun day.

Tuesday 6 miles @ 11:35 HR 139/155 Cad 154

Wednesday 8.6 miles w/ 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400  Rest 400  Plenty warm.  Pretty pleased with paces considering the heat.

WU 2 @ 11:38 HR 129/147 Cad 153

• 1200's @ 9:18 & 9:10
  • 800's @ 8:47 & 8:50
  • 400's @ 8:12 & 7:58
  • Main set HR 153/170 Cad 161

CD 2.1 @ 11:23 HR 153/162 Cad 160

Thursday 6 miles @ 11:17 HR 136/152 Cad 155

Friday Rest day...visit Mom

Saturday 3 miles @ 11:12 HR 141/158 Cad 156

• Included 4 x :20 strides @ 8:32, 8:28, 8:20, 7:41

Sunday Todd Beamer 10K

WU 1 mi @ 11:31 HR 139/157 Cad 154 included strides & mobility
6.15 @ 9:18 HR 163/179 Cad 161

1. 9:23
  2. 9:19
  3. 9:18
  4. 9:20
  5. 9:24
  6. 9:10
  7. @ 8:37

CD 1 mi @ 12:34  Legs were trashed and tight after standing around for awards.

This race is a very small but iconic race.  It's THE race in Madras.  And the fact that it was after the lock down and mask mandate ended in Oregon made it really fun.  Lots of visiting and catching up.  It was pretty special because it was the 25th anniversary of Todd's death.  They made special shirts that in addition to the normal logo said "Those things you do for yourself pass with you.  Those things you do for others go on and on."  Todd's Dad organizes the race every year and he announced that this would be the last year he put it on.  He puts a lot of fun and humor into the event but gives a pretty heartfelt speech at the starting line.  As one runner said...the speech is the toughest part of the race.

I told Melissa that I would push the pace but didn't want to stress over a goal pace.  I wanted to enjoy this one.  The first 4 miles of the course are net downhill, include a leap over a cattle guard, and are on gravel.  Once you hit the pavement at mile 4 there is a very slight incline.  Mile 5 is a tough mile mentally.  Once you turn the corner and can see the finish at the park it gets a bit easier.  It was very hot.  I was slightly disappointed that I dropped the pace by a couple seconds in mile 5.  The effort was there but the speed wasn't.  But...I did pass two much younger ladies during mile 5. cheers

"Official" results will be in the paper tomorrow.  Only 20 people in the 10K as many people dropped down to the 5K or 2 mile fun run.  

I did win my age group!  But I'm pretty sure I was the only one in it.   Laughing
I am quite pleased with my 3rd place female finish against a much younger field.

Fun Fact...Jon Bowerman joined the event and ran/walked the 2 mile fun run.  He's an absolute hoot!

Monday Rest day

Tuesday 6 miles @ 11:44 HR 145/161 Cad 156
I had to drive tractor for 3 1/2 hours before my run.  It was late and HOT when I was able to head out the door.  I eased back on the pace but still struggled with the heat.  HR was higher than I had hoped.  Legs were whining...not sure if it was the race or the time in the tractor.

The next two weeks are going to be tough.  It's going to be hot.  I'm going to have to drive tractor in the morning and run late morning.  Definitely going to have to use caution.

The heat has complicated an already difficult year on the farm.  We're in the midst of a record setting drought and water allotments are being reduced on a regular basis.  We've dried up all our hay fields.  We'll get a small 2nd cutting on some of the alfalfa fields.  We're hoping to have enough water to get the mint and carrot and parsley seed to harvest.  Nothing is guaranteed.  It's going to be even tougher next year.  We won't have water to plant crops this fall and will probably lose a lot of the perennial crops over the winter as we won't be able to water them the rest of the summer/fall.

Tough on everyone...so far we're coping.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:45 pm

Tough week and another tough one coming up.  Hot!  Harvest is getting bunched up due to the heat/drought.  Natalie is heading out of town on a business trip...and leaving 5 kids home!!!  Older cousins are helping but will need some help.

Tuesday 6 miles @ 11:44 HR 145/161 Cad 156 HOT

Wednesday 8 miles @ 11:27 HR 144/163 Cad 157  Melissa is upping my miles a bit.  8 easy instead of my usual 6.

Thursday 6.2 miles @ 11:23 HR 140/158 Cad 157

Friday 12 miles w/6 x 3:00 (3:00 rest) Goal pace for striders HM (9:44-9:53)  Melissa dropped the goal pace very slightly after my recent 10K results.

12 miles @ 11:36 HR 140/156 Cad 156
Strides @ 9:49, 9:41, 9:38, 9:32, 9:31, 9:28  Avg 9:37

Saturday  6 miles @ 11:36 HR 141/159 Cad 154

Sunday Rest day but I think I worked harder than on a running day.

Monday 9 miles w/5 @ HM pace was the goal.  (This run was actually scheduled for tomorrow but I knew I wouldn't have time to complete it tomorrow so I switched it with my easy run.)

• Warm up 2 mi @ 11:45 including mobility
  • 5 miles @ 9:45 HR 156/167 Cad 161  I had to push pretty hard to get this under 9:50 pace.
  • Cool down 2 mi @ 11:12 plus an additional half mile as apparently I can't do math correctly when I'm tired.  I miscalculated my turn around and my watch beeped informing me that the workout was finished but I was still half a mile from home.   Laughing

We'll see how things go the rest of the week.  It may be tough with Natalie gone.  It's way to hot to run later in the day so we'll see.  Oh...and there is a fire across the river that is causing a bit of air quality issues.  If it gets to bad I'll be stuck!

Sweaty
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:12 am

I'm absolutely amazed that I made it through this week and completed all my planned mileage with very limited schedule changes.  43.5 miles for the week...the extra half mile was due to my lack of ability to do math while tired.  I planned my turn around and when the workout ended I was still a half mile from home.  Laughing  Our peak harvest time on the farm was complicated by the drought and heat and even busier than usual...lots of tractor time.  And Natalie was traveling...she made it home late last night.  Some very early mornings (3:30 alarm), very warm runs, and the support of family got me through the week. Oh and the smoke wasn't a big factor...a bit blew in but not enough to reach an unhealthy level and restrict my running.

As mentioned previously I moved my tempo run to Monday.
9.5 miles w/5 @ 9:45

Tuesday 6 mile easy run (switched with my tempo run)

6 miles @ 11:24 HR 151/167 Cad 157

Wednesday Rest day but it wasn't very restful.  Busy with the kids and trying to get some major office work done that was due on/before the 15th.  

Thursday Interesting morning.  3:30 alarm and on the tractor...cooler which brought in a dew and we had to stop baling at 6:00.  Marty encouraged me to head out on my run and offered to let the hired man finish my task when the dew lifted.  Laced up and decided it was my best option to fit in the long (14 miler) scheduled for Friday.  It was pretty warm by the time I finished.  Tough run.

14 miles @ 11:25 HR 147/166 Cad 157

Friday 8 easy miles which had originally been scheduled for Thursday.

8 miles @ 11:22 HR 143/155 Cad 156

Saturday Easy 6 to finish out the week.

6 miles @ 11:09 HR 141/155 Cad 158

I felt pretty rough on some/most of these runs but I was able to maintain my pace goals and finish well so I'm accomplishing the goal of cumulative fatigue without over training.  Melissa gave me permission to change the days I ran and made suggestions for getting the mileage in even if it wasn't exactly as planned.  (splitting long runs, adding a mile to a shorter run if I couldn't get a longer run done etc)  I was pretty pleased that the only change I needed to make was the day I did specific runs.  Not perfect as they were planned on a specific day for a reason but it was still a very satisfying and successful week.  

Can you believe that it's only mid-July and I've already logged over 900 miles?

Looking forward to a "rest day" today when all I have to do is farm work and catch up on household chores.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Wow, nice job on the running and during harvest to boot! What all do you farm?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:39 pm

Julie wrote:Wow, nice job on the running and during harvest to boot! What all do you farm?
Thanks Julie.  We primarily grow seed crops...carrot seed, parsley seed, spinach seed, Kentucky Bluegrass seed.  We also grow hay and grain as rotation crops as you can't grow seed crops back to back.  It's quite interesting and significantly different from the broad acre commodity crop farms.  It's very labor intensive.  We irrigate most of the seed crops with drip irrigation...a huge water saving and during this drought we're glad we made that investment!  Our youngest son and his family moved home to join the farming operation in 2013.  There is more than enough work for all of us.  Smile

Another tough week but we finished bluegrass harvest and 2nd cutting alfalfa on Thursday.  My tractor driving responsibilities will be significantly less for a few weeks.  I'll have time to catch up on my office chores and will be able to plan my run times and locations again.  We may even have time to get back to our strength/core workouts.  Hooray!

Monday 6 miles @11:10 HR 144/160 Cad 156

Tuesday 9 miles w/4 x 1 mile @ HMP - 10 seconds (9:34-9:43) 400 rest
WU 2 mi @ 11:44

1. 9:38
  2. 9:38
  3. 9:35
  4. 9:33

CD 2 mi @ 11:53

Quite pleased with that run!

Wednesday Farming (scheduled rest day)

Thursday Farming (postponed my run)

Friday 8 miles @ 11:38 HR 145/165 Cad 156 and then drove over the mountain to visit Mom.

Saturday Planned run was 12 miles w 2x2mi intervals @ HMP (9:44-9:53).  I had time to drive to the Overlook.  I've missed running there.  The view is fantastic even with a bit of wildfire smoke.

WU 4 mi @ 11:19

1. 2 mi @9:44
  2. Rest mile @ 11:12
  3. 2 mi @ 9:42

CD 3 mi @ 11:53

Intervals look great.  What these stats don't show is how hard I had to push on the 2nd interval...and how seriously I died during the cool down.  I consumed a hand held bottle of Infinit during the run but my legs just would not respond.  Lack of sleep the last couple weeks?  Poor eating the last couple weeks?  Long hours in the tractor?  4 hours in the car the previous afternoon?  Or maybe the fact that I was in a hurry and skipped my recovery drink and didn't get lunch after my 8 miles the day before.  Ooops...Lesson learned.

Sunday 6 miles @ 11:38 HR 138/154 Cad 154  I felt better this morning but made a conscious effort to keep the pace conservative.  Pleased to see the lower HR.

On to another week of training...my half marathon is only 3 weeks out.   Shocked
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:40 pm

Another Hot week in the books.  Last high mileage week before my half.  It was a challenge.

Monday 6 @ 11:18 HR 138/150 Cad 155

Tuesday 6 mile Tempo run on the schedule.  Interesting morning.  I headed up to the park early to beat the heat.  The bathroom was locked.  Shocked  And it started spitting rain...warm & muggy.  By the time I got through my warmup it was a steady rain.  I was splashing in puddles and the road actually seemed a bit slick.

10 mi @ 10:26 HR 146/161 Cad 159

• WU 2 mi @ 11:52 (with mobility)
  • 6 mi @ 9:43 HR 152/161 Cad 162 Hit the lower end of my goal pace spot on.
  • CD 2 mi @ 11:08 (ducked into the PT office to use the bathroom)

Wednesday Smoke blew in.  Texted with Mark to try and organize an alternate place to run on Mt Hood if necessary.

Thursday 8 miles on the schedule.  Smoke cleared.  Late very HOT run.
8.75 miles @ 11:34 HR 156/178 Cad 157

Friday 14 miles scheduled.  Janice, Chuck, and Nailan met me at the overlook.  Nailan ran a couple miles with me but most of my run was solo.  Slightly cooler till the last few miles.

14 miles @ 11:23 HR 147/162 Cad 156

Saturday Only 4 miles @ 11:48 HR 140/156 Cad 152  Really eased off on pace and effort for this warm muggy run.  Moderate smoke.

Sunday Scheduled rest day.

Next week is predicted to be slightly cooler.  I am concerned that with the changes in winds I may have to deal with smoke issues.

And life goes on...

Edited Sunday morning to add...The smoke is definitely a bit thicker this morning.  Website indicates 75 which is still in the moderate range.  I would probably run in these conditions if I had a run scheduled but it is predicted to deteriorate even more Monday and especially Tuesday.  Weather has been very odd the last few days.  Very muggy...at least for Central Oregon...and even some light showers but still hot.  

Cooling now predicted starting on Thursday but warm weather predicted for race weekend.  Yup Taper Madness geek has started...I'm checking the weather often and the race is still two weeks away.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:04 pm

Once it cools off, I would be curious to see if your HR will reduce below the pre-sauna HR runs.  That's what happened to me last September, after the Summer temps were gone.

How did your July 23 hematologist appt shake out?  They took a history, prior surgeries, talked to the doc, took some blood, collected the copay, set a follow up appt?

So, where's this Half on the Saturday after next?  I might could check the forecast and other impediments.

Your HR sure spiked when the 100's settled in.  Sad about the effect of no water on your acreage and the bottom line.  How's your mom been doing?

Yes, I finally checked in.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:45 pm

ounce wrote:Once it cools off, I would be curious to see if your HR will reduce below the pre-sauna HR runs.  That's what happened to me last September, after the Summer temps were gone.

How did your July 23 hematologist appt shake out?  They took a history, prior surgeries, talked to the doc, took some blood, collected the copay, set a follow up appt?

So, where's this Half on the Saturday after next?  I might could check the forecast and other impediments.

Your HR sure spiked when the 100's settled in.  Sad about the effect of no water on your acreage and the bottom line.  How's your mom been doing?

Yes, I finally checked in.
Yes,  I'm also curious to see what my HR does when we finally get some cooler weather.  I was disappointed in my HR during my easy 6 this morning.  Melissa reminded me that both heat and humidity affect HR and this humidity is unbearable...I know it's nothing like the humidity that you deal with but it's miserable for us high desert dwellers...

Melissa has added some interesting insight to my understanding of HR and Cadence.  I'll just summarize by saying that she is more concerned with my personal numbers than generic numbers.  She's not about to put me in a box with a bunch of other runners.  She commented that her HR is higher than her training partners but it's normal for her and that is what counts.  My easy effort may not be your easy effort.  She watches for recovery, ability to complete my runs at goal pace day after day, the pace I jog between intervals, my ability to finish a run strong, etc.  She is not at all concerned about my cadence.  It's lower during easy runs and higher during faster efforts and she's comfortable with my stride length.  She wants me to concentrate on getting the miles in at the paces she assigns, recovering well, and managing my hydration and nutrition all day not just while running.  I'm enjoying coaching.

My appointment with the hematologist was postponed.  It's been rescheduled for next Tuesday August 10th.  I'll update here after the appointment.

The race is Bridge of the Gods Run in Cascade Locks.  Looks like it's going to be a warm one.  I'll need to adjust my pace and really pay attention to hydration.  It does look like there will be enough wind to provide a bit of cooling but not so much as to impede my progress.  Good thing that Melissa has been insisting I run in less than perfect conditions during my training.

We're managing the drought as best as possible.  We planned a head and are in a better situation than many others....but it's because we paid a lot of money early on to lease land and secure water while it was still available.  We'll manage.  It's farming.

Mom is doing better but really has her ups and downs.  She has transitioned into only having caregivers 5 days a week for 6 hours a day to help with bathing etc.  She is struggling to manage her medication but won't accept more help.  She is often confused and very often angry.  It's sad to see.  I try to visit once a week and plan around lunch or morning tea.  My brother was visiting last week and he brought her to Dad's favorite pizza place.  I met them there and we enjoyed a nice chat over hot pizza.  She enjoyed the outing.

Thanks for dropping by Doug.  Off to run some errands...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next