365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 20 of 27 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23 ... 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 20 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  nkrichards Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:59 pm

I figured you were well...just busy.  Good to hear that was the case.

Not job on the pushups...and the 1 rep max attempt on the bench press.  Progress is just as good as success.  Very Happy

Glad to hear that you've survived another hurricane season.  Stock up on TP for next year while it's on sale.  You may need it...or be able to sell it at a profit if the COVID shortages persist.  Things are starting to become scarce around here again.

Happy to hear you're keeping running in the routine.  I know you really enjoy lifting and it would be easy to just do the activity that you enjoy and let running fall by the wayside.  I realize you've been a bit frustrated with your running lately.  I know how you feel...it wasn't that long ago that I felt the same way.

Fingers crossed that you'll have some cooler weather and get back outside for your runs soon.

Stay safe...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:01 pm

nkrichards wrote:I figured you were well...just busy.  Good to hear that was the case.

Not job on the pushups...and the 1 rep max attempt on the bench press.  Progress is just as good as success.  Very Happy

Glad to hear that you've survived another hurricane season.  Stock up on TP for next year while it's on sale.  You may need it...or be able to sell it at a profit if the COVID shortages persist.  Things are starting to become scarce around here again.

Happy to hear you're keeping running in the routine.  I know you really enjoy lifting and it would be easy to just do the activity that you enjoy and let running fall by the wayside.  I realize you've been a bit frustrated with your running lately.  I know how you feel...it wasn't that long ago that I felt the same way.

Fingers crossed that you'll have some cooler weather and get back outside for your runs soon.

Stay safe...
thanks, Nancy.  One thing about lifting is that with consistency, there's more progress than with running.  I increased the sitting bench press weight from 125 to 130, today.  On the horizontal bench press at 85 pounds, I am making fewer figure 8's with the bar in the air, than I used to.  Ought to hit 90 pounds, next week.

As far as running goes, I do look forward to getting back outside in a cooler and/or drier environment.  In fact, that will happen tomorrow.  We had a weak cool front go by on Sunday and the dry air has filtered here, today.  As I write this, the temperature is 83, but the dew point is 65.  The low in the morning is supposed to be in the low 70's.  
Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride

I think I'll try for 3 miles, with no falling.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Well, let's see how fast I can type this.

Wednesday, I ran 3 miles.  I was a little surprised that I covered it.  The temp was 72 with a 69 dew point, so while I didn't need a parka, it wasn't oppressive.  The Polar must not have been fully ready, because it was about a third of a mile behind the Garmin, which never happens.  I did the 6 minute walking warmup.  Cadence was set at 157

3 miles, 44:30, 14:49 pace, 131 avg bpm, 152 max bpm, cadence avg 150
1.  14:51, 156 spm, 70 sl
2.  14:51, 147 spm, 74 sl
3.  14:45, 147 spm, 74 sl

zone 4 (144-152)   4:43
zone 3 (126-143) 28:19
zone 2 (108-125)   9:39 all at the start.

The splits were nice, relative to what my running has been the past 2 months.  I never felt like I had been on a treadmill and forgot how to propel myself.  I had been using a 1.5 degree tilt, when I was on the treadmill, so maybe that's a decent elevation for when running is re-started.

So, what I'd like to see tomorrow, after my run.  I'd like to see a decrease in the zone 4 time.  I would also like to see an increase in the 2nd mile cadence.  Both would show an increase, however little, in endurance.  Pace will come, once the cadence average is around 156 or 157.

Weather should be about what it was on Wednesday.  A cool front is taking its sweet time to get south of me.  Dew points in the 60's might not happen, but it'll be around 70 ambient temp.

I need to get to bed.  Y'all be good.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:56 am

It was 73 degrees with a dew point of 65.  You could tell it was warm, but with the dew point in the 60s, that made it seem better.  I forgot to mention yesterday, that I expect today's run to be a little slower because I was on 2 day's rest, rather than 2 weeks.  That did occur.

In fact, it took about 2 miles of the 3 completed for all the little niggles to de-anchor from me.  Then I was off...relatively speaking.  

Afterwards, I remembered last year where it took about 2 miles to loosen up on many runs.  It was that way, today.  Cadence set to 157.

3 miles, 45:13, 15:02 pace, 129 avg bpm, 151 max bpm (during the first mile of all things), 151 spm avg cadence, 0.71 avg stride length
1.  15:23, 124 bpm, 152 spm, 68 sl
2.  15:12, 129 bpm, 148 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:29, 133 bpm, 153 spm, 72 sl

Zone 4 (144-151)    1:34
Zone 3 (126-143)  31:39
Zone 2 (108-125)    9:26

During that 3rd mile, I was imagining 'the pier' and how it would look like a short pier, then water for a while, then washing ashore on an island.

Amazingly, I dropped the zone 4 time by 66% and increased the 2nd mile cadence by 1.  I didn't expect mile one and mile 3 to be about the same cadence.  But running the 3rd mile at that pace was purely all the niggles in 1 and 2 resolving itself.

So for two runs of 3 miles each, it's a nice start to Training Season.

On the weights front, I lifted yesterday, but only had an hour because I've worked longer, this week.  Next week will be a more regular work week.  I'll be running MWF and lift TTh for the foreseeable time.

It was a good week.  Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:48 pm

I think I'll try for 3 miles, with no falling.  Good to see you're setting goals for your running.

You mentioned that it's easier to make/see progress with your lifting as compared to running but I can see progress just in the last 3 runs you've completed.  Pace and cadence on your run on the 13th was quite impressive!!  You haven't had a solid uninterrupted run training cycle for quite some time.  If you could get that heart of yours to cooperate a bit more who knows...

Good to see you're out and about.  Take care and enjoy the cooler weather as it comes your way.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:26 pm

nkrichards wrote:I think I'll try for 3 miles, with no falling.  Good to see you're setting goals for your running.

You mentioned that it's easier to make/see progress with your lifting as compared to running but I can see progress just in the last 3 runs you've completed.  Pace and cadence on your run on the 13th was quite impressive!!  You haven't had a solid uninterrupted run training cycle for quite some time.  If you could get that heart of yours to cooperate a bit more who knows...

Good to see you're out and about.  Take care and enjoy the cooler weather as it comes your way.
The no falling was a key goal because I had forgotten how many sidewalk, concrete squares were not level with the next square.  It will always be a goal, as falling usually results in large and long bruises.  I have goals, just fail to write them down here.  Right now, it's 6 miles per week.  A 3 and a 3.  When it gets cooler, that'll ratchet up 50% to 9, then 10 the following week (3-3-3)

By the way, the front that past you on Saturday, arrives here Tuesday night.  So, this might just be the first 3-3-3 week.  WEDNESDAY!  Low in the 60s.  Friday, low in the high 50s.  It's supposed to slowly go up from there.  

I will say that I'm looking forward to testing the waters on training for a race, while maintaining the same intensity on lifting.  I think I can do it.  I went to work out on Thursday early evening, then ran Friday morning.  I was curious what would happen.  The run wasn't too bad.  About what the 3 miles was a couple of weeks ago.  I don't plan on doing that combo.  The only hiccup that I had was AFTER the run.  Walking around, like getting the mail, my traps ached (the back muscle that attaches to the upper spine/neck area).

Okay, Nancy, I'll consider during this training season that maybe my running will advance like my lifting does now.  Lifting doesn't care how much I weigh, though.  

The 13th run of 3 miles was my best run in a while and I will tell you why.  I dogged myself into running a good cadence.  Don't take cadence for granted, when re-starting running.  Cadence is driving the heart rate, too, but I'm not worried about the heart rate.  Once my body figures out that I'm not stopping the running, the cadence will start to become autonomous, like breathing.  The heart rate will reduce.  Until then, HR is in the back seat.  And I've had no pain, but I do walk the 6 minutes, prior to running.

I only lifted Thursday because Tuesday was a tropical storm that created 40 mph winds in my area and my power outage of 6 hours.  Wednesday was to be a run, but there were enough fallen trees in the neighborhood that I quickly got out of rhythm for starting, then stopping for a tree, then re-starting, then stopping for another tree and power line down that was being guarded by two HPD vehicles on either side because it closed Memorial Drive down.

Friday was another run that was mentioned earlier.

To use a metaphor based on Nancy's explanation last hunting season...I'm running to change from a donkey to a mule.  Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll be a draft horse.  I'm not showy enough to be a clydesdale.  AND...still lifting.

Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:48 pm

77 degrees, this morning.  60's on Wednesday.

Covered 3 miles today at a pace not to be confused with 'slow.'  Cadence slowed at about a 1/2 mile.  It was 77 degrees after all.  But, on this hopefully last day of running in the high 70's, it wasn't going to make me stop.

So, I finished.  Nancy, you should love the HR.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

As with weather, sometimes it doesn't occur as advertised.  Cold front arrived-check.  Dew point reduced-check.  Temperature in the 60's-Nope.

The temperature was 73 degrees, but the dew point was 63.  So, it was sorta warm, but drier.  It was a good mix.  Much improved over Monday, but not a Goldilocks mix.

Again, like Monday and recent runs, I had to push to maintain a cadence.  The dew point allowed me to be more consistent in pace, while slowly raising the HR.  Breathing was complaining that I was not slowing, when huffing occurred.  Meh.

157 was the cadence

3 miles, 43:47, 14:31 pace, 129 avg HR, 154 Max HR (that's misleading, 155 avg cadence, 0.71 avg stride length
1.  15:07, 114 bpm, 157 spm, 68 sl
2.  14:17, 133 bpm, 155 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:09, 140 bpm, 154 spm, 73 sl

HR zones
zone 4 (144-154)    4:41
zone 3 (126-143)   22:50
zone 2 (108-125)   13:42

About the HR max, it should be 147 because there was this bump around the 20 minute point, where the HR went from 126 to 154 to 126 in about a minute.  The run went very well because of the dew point.  Pure and simple.  I was dragging during the first 3/4ths of a mile, but then settled in to a hurried and concentrating run.  That 2nd lap split of 14:17 was really nice.  Like I mentioned, my breathing was hard, but never out of control.

The cadence was almost a surprise.  But it's an indicator that I'm ready to go to 4, as long as the dew point or temp is in the low 60s.  Monday may be in the low 70s with the humidity back, so I think Friday will be a 4 mile run.  I have to take advantage of the weather when it comes.

So, things happened in a good way.  Lifting tomorrow.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 am

ounce wrote:77 degrees, this morning.  60's on Wednesday.

Covered 3 miles today at a pace not to be confused with 'slow.'  Cadence slowed at about a 1/2 mile.  It was 77 degrees after all.  But, on this hopefully last day of running in the high 70's, it wasn't going to make me stop.

So, I finished.  Nancy, you should love the HR.
Yes, that HR was impressive!!  I'm pretty happy when I log the occasional run with a HR <140.  I've never hit anything that low.
ounce wrote:As with weather, sometimes it doesn't occur as advertised.  Cold front arrived-check.  Dew point reduced-check.  Temperature in the 60's-Nope.

The temperature was 73 degrees, but the dew point was 63.  So, it was sorta warm, but drier.  It was a good mix.  Much improved over Monday, but not a Goldilocks mix.

Again, like Monday and recent runs, I had to push to maintain a cadence.  The dew point allowed me to be more consistent in pace, while slowly raising the HR.  Breathing was complaining that I was not slowing, when huffing occurred.  Meh.

157 was the cadence

3 miles, 43:47, 14:31 pace, 129 avg HR, 154 Max HR (that's misleading, 155 avg cadence, 0.71 avg stride length
1.  15:07, 114 bpm, 157 spm, 68 sl
2.  14:17, 133 bpm, 155 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:09, 140 bpm, 154 spm, 73 sl

HR zones
zone 4 (144-154)    4:41
zone 3 (126-143)   22:50
zone 2 (108-125)   13:42

About the HR max, it should be 147 because there was this bump around the 20 minute point, where the HR went from 126 to 154 to 126 in about a minute.  The run went very well because of the dew point.  Pure and simple.  I was dragging during the first 3/4ths of a mile, but then settled in to a hurried and concentrating run.  That 2nd lap split of 14:17 was really nice.  Like I mentioned, my breathing was hard, but never out of control.

The cadence was almost a surprise.  But it's an indicator that I'm ready to go to 4, as long as the dew point or temp is in the low 60s.  Monday may be in the low 70s with the humidity back, so I think Friday will be a 4 mile run.  I have to take advantage of the weather when it comes.

So, things happened in a good way.  Lifting tomorrow.  Thanks for stopping by.
Nice run.  Glad you at least got a bit of cooperation from the weather.  Good plan to take advantage of days when the weather cooperates for your outdoor runs.  

I did notice that HR blip on Stava.  My guess is that it was a HR strap malfunction of some sort.

Happy lifting...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Nice 4 this morning.  Looks like mile 3 was tough but you improved both the pace and the cadence for the 4th mile.

Enjoy your weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:15 pm

This week marked the return of Summer mornings. Monday it was 75 degrees for 4 miles. Wednesday was cancelled due to a long thunderstorm. Friday was 73 degrees and I ran 5 miles. I figured that no matter how slow I ran, the time on the feet would be beneficial. It was last year.

The week that ended September 25, I ran 3 times and lifted 2 times. I was seemingly tired for the 2nd lift on Thursday, because I was running out of gas. I thought that maybe I should only run twice and lift twice.

That Friday, I sorta figured that running 4 miles might unnecessarily hold me back.

So this week, the target was 3 runs and 2 lifts, which I covered earlier. But doing the 5 yesterday wasn't a gasser and my legs didn't start hurting until the 5th mile and it was upper quads.

This coming week, we're supposed to have another go at Fall weather. Time will tell.

And I'm going to have another go at 3 runs and 2 lifts. Lifting has been going well. I just guess that before I advance in weight that those muscle fibers have to be manufactured for the whole muscle, before it happens.

For example, once I'm able to do 3 sets of 6 reps at weight X, I will continue that for 2 weeks, before adding weight. And it may take me 4-5 weeks to get to that point of 3 sets, 6. I just don't want to advance too quickly and hurt something.

I think that I'll be able to maintain a 3 run, 2 lift schedule up to a 10 mile run.

I'd like to be running 13 or longer by Christmas. I haven't written down a schedule, yet, but that seems fine.

I think I'm able to 1 rep 180, now. Thanks, Nancy.

ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Following up on my next to last sentence in the prior post, today I did not lift 180, in fact, I was maybe just barely better than the last attempt at 180.  I surmise, now, that a 50 lb difference between what I work out with (130) and 1 rep max attempt (180) is too wide a chasm.  So maybe 135 or 140 workout weight might make it happen.  Possibly all of my previously under utilized muscles are now utilized enough that a new set of muscle strings are needed.

I was kinda bummed that I didn't lift it, but I just need to continue to be consistent and persistent.  I have also discovered that I need variety, when the session isn't going so well.  Luckily, I can find 2 or 3 machines to do a specific routine.

Monday morning, it was 73 degrees with a dew point of 70, so the dry air hadn't arrived, yet.  This morning it was like 69.
I struggled through 4 miles in the 15's.  During mile 2, my HR was pretty screwed up.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be 61, which has meant that it'll be 65-67 degrees.  I'll run another 4, unless it's really 61, then I might run 5.

Moochus graceeus.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 pm

ounce wrote:Following up on my next to last sentence in the prior post, today I did not lift 180, in fact, I was maybe just barely better than the last attempt at 180.  I surmise, now, that a 50 lb difference between what I work out with (130) and 1 rep max attempt (180) is too wide a chasm.  So maybe 135 or 140 workout weight might make it happen.  Possibly all of my previously under utilized muscles are now utilized enough that a new set of muscle strings are needed.

I was kinda bummed that I didn't lift it, but I just need to continue to be consistent and persistent.  I have also discovered that I need variety, when the session isn't going so well.  Luckily, I can find 2 or 3 machines to do a specific routine.

Monday morning, it was 73 degrees with a dew point of 70, so the dry air hadn't arrived, yet.  This morning it was like 69.
I struggled through 4 miles in the 15's.  During mile 2, my HR was pretty screwed up.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be 61, which has meant that it'll be 65-67 degrees.  I'll run another 4, unless it's really 61, then I might run 5.

Moochus graceeus.
You'll make that 180 lift before you know it!

Looks like you're figuring out a good run/lift schedule that is sustainable but keeping it flexible especially while the weather is still an issue some mornings.

Nice job on the 4 mile run this morning.  You finished well.  Smile

I'll try and check in here more often.  I've been out of town a bit and my computer has also been down...I'm way behind on my blog.  Shocked  I enjoy seeing your runs on Strava.  It's quick and easy to check.

Take care and enjoy the fall weather!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:13 am

Last week, I did complete 12 miles over 3 runs.  That was a necessary goal to inform the body that I am training for something.

This week, the humidity and mid-70s returned.  Monday, there were storms at 4:30 a.m.  Lifting weights was the backup plan, but running through a good ol' fashioned frog strangler wasn't going to be the best decision of the week, so I stayed home.

Clearly, my body was no longer acclimated to a 76 dew point.  Instead of a 4 mile run, it became a 1/3rd mile run and 2-2/3rd mile walk on Tuesday.  This morning, I lifted.  Tomorrow, the plan is to run the 1.25 miles to the parking garage, then run or walk the ramps in order to get some 'hill' work in.

A legitimate cold front is approaching the area, due to arrive Friday evening.  It's supposed to be in the 50s Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Maybe it'll be cool on Monday.

Being the Trekkie that I am, I'm looking forward to William Shatner being on the Blue Origin flight that blasts off from Van Horn, Texas in less than an hour.  Van Horn is about 110 miles east of El Paso on I-10, which makes it 650 miles west of me. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:28 pm

ounce wrote:Last week, I did complete 12 miles over 3 runs.  That was a necessary goal to inform the body that I am training for something.

This week, the humidity and mid-70s returned.  Monday, there were storms at 4:30 a.m.  Lifting weights was the backup plan, but running through a good ol' fashioned frog strangler wasn't going to be the best decision of the week, so I stayed home.

Clearly, my body was no longer acclimated to a 76 dew point.  Instead of a 4 mile run, it became a 1/3rd mile run and 2-2/3rd mile walk on Tuesday.  This morning, I lifted.  Tomorrow, the plan is to run the 1.25 miles to the parking garage, then run or walk the ramps in order to get some 'hill' work in.

A legitimate cold front is approaching the area, due to arrive Friday evening.  It's supposed to be in the 50s Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Maybe it'll be cool on Monday.

Being the Trekkie that I am, I'm looking forward to William Shatner being on the Blue Origin flight that blasts off from Van Horn, Texas in less than an hour.  Van Horn is about 110 miles east of El Paso on I-10, which makes it 650 miles west of me. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Good to hear you got some mileage in.  Hope the hill work went well and the cold front arrived as promised.

I hadn't heard about the Blue Origin flight.  Did it go as planned?

Enjoy the cooler weather.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:07 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Last week, I did complete 12 miles over 3 runs.  That was a necessary goal to inform the body that I am training for something.

Good to hear you got some mileage in.  Hope the hill work went well and the cold front arrived as promised.

I hadn't heard about the Blue Origin flight.  Did it go as planned?

Enjoy the cooler weather.
Hey, Nancy.    It was still warm in the morning on Thursday and Friday, so I then decided to cut my losses and not run Thursday and Friday.  Hopefully, it'll be the only designated 'off week' between then and January.  I did lift on Friday and I got two extra hours of sleep on Thursday.

The cold front did come in, on time, and it was crisp for Saturday morning, windy, and 57 degrees.  Sunday morning, it was 52, calm, and crisp, but clouded over with high Cirrus clouds.  That'll act like a blanket and I expect Monday morning temperatures at 58, but it will be very nice.  But that'll be the end of the cool weather until the end of this week.  83 is seasonal and 88 for Thursday.

The Blue Origin flight was about 45 minutes delayed, but lifted off and landed without incident.  Afterwards, Shatner was so awe-struck by the experience.  He was nervous in the days leading up to the flight.

At the launch site, there is a 4 flight set of stairs to get to the gantry to get to the capsule.  No elevator.  Shatner said afterwards that he could tell that he was 90 years old by walking up those stairs.  I wonder if they'll ask Patrick Stewart to become an astronaut.

On a final personal note (that is nothing bad), I am preparing myself for a rite of passage upon turning 65 in April.  Medicare.  I've learned a great deal in the past couple of months from about 50 or 60 5-9 minute videos.  I don't know everything about Medicare, but I now know enough to make a decision that will affect my life until death about medical things.  Now, I don't have to listen to any of the commercials or anything.  Most of my questions are answered, but the sifting through the pros and cons is complete and I will be ready to sign up in January for a April 1 start.

The choices are surprisingly easy to sift through, IF you find someone or some company that will take the time to explain  and that you trust.  Hence the 50-60 videos.

You just don't want to put it off.  Truly, you don't want to miss the sign ups.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:49 pm

ounce wrote:

Hey, Nancy.    It was still warm in the morning on Thursday and Friday, so I then decided to cut my losses and not run Thursday and Friday.  Hopefully, it'll be the only designated 'off week' between then and January.  I did lift on Friday and I got two extra hours of sleep on Thursday.

The cold front did come in, on time, and it was crisp for Saturday morning, windy, and 57 degrees.  Sunday morning, it was 52, calm, and crisp, but clouded over with high Cirrus clouds.  That'll act like a blanket and I expect Monday morning temperatures at 58, but it will be very nice.  But that'll be the end of the cool weather until the end of this week.  83 is seasonal and 88 for Thursday.

The Blue Origin flight was about 45 minutes delayed, but lifted off and landed without incident.  Afterwards, Shatner was so awe-struck by the experience.  He was nervous in the days leading up to the flight.

At the launch site, there is a 4 flight set of stairs to get to the gantry to get to the capsule.  No elevator.  Shatner said afterwards that he could tell that he was 90 years old by walking up those stairs.  I wonder if they'll ask Patrick Stewart to become an astronaut.

On a final personal note (that is nothing bad), I am preparing myself for a rite of passage upon turning 65 in April.  Medicare.  I've learned a great deal in the past couple of months from about 50 or 60 5-9 minute videos.  I don't know everything about Medicare, but I now know enough to make a decision that will affect my life until death about medical things.  Now, I don't have to listen to any of the commercials or anything.  Most of my questions are answered, but the sifting through the pros and cons is complete and I will be ready to sign up in January for a April 1 start.

The choices are surprisingly easy to sift through, IF you find someone or some company that will take the time to explain  and that you trust.  Hence the 50-60 videos.

Thanks for stopping by.
Wait!  What!  How in the world did Will Shatner get that old??  And medicare!  How did we get that old?? What a Face

Marty turned 65 in January so I did the research and got him signed up.  I found a really good agent that was very helpful helping us navigate the pros and cons of our choices.  I can't believe how cheap his medical insurance and care is now that he's on medicare!  We've always chosen a high deductible plan as that's all we could afford.  I'm still on a high deductible plan and my individual policy cost is almost as much as the policy that covered both of us.  I'll be ready to switch to Medicare as soon as I'm eligible!

Hope you're able to sneak in a run or two when the weather isn't to bad.  We're getting cooler weather here.  I've actually been wearing gloves for early morning runs!

Happy lifting...and running...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Thanks for stopping by.
Wait!  What!  How in the world did Will Shatner get that old??  And medicare!  How did we get that old?? What a Face

Marty turned 65 in January so I did the research and got him signed up.  I found a really good agent that was very helpful helping us navigate the pros and cons of our choices.  I can't believe how cheap his medical insurance and care is now that he's on medicare!  We've always chosen a high deductible plan as that's all we could afford.  I'm still on a high deductible plan and my individual policy cost is almost as much as the policy that covered both of us.  I'll be ready to switch to Medicare as soon as I'm eligible!

Hope you're able to sneak in a run or two when the weather isn't to bad.  We're getting cooler weather here.  I've actually been wearing gloves for early morning runs!

Happy lifting...and running...
Yes, he's that old!  There are only 4 members of the original Bridge crew still alive;  Kirk, Uhura, Chekhov, and Sulu.

Understanding enough about Medicare to make a decision on which way to go just took some repetition on the videos and persistency.  I still have a couple of questions, but I know which way to go.  And YOU have the benefit of seeing how it is for Marty.

This morning, I did go running with a 56 degree weather with no wind.  I ran 4 miles at a 14:30-something pace.  My Polar had trouble finding a satellite, so it mistakenly extrapolated that I ran 4.5 miles with 1 split in the 12's, I think.  The Garmin did its thing and was good as a back up, even if it was off on distance a bit, too...which it always is.

I was seriously pondering just running 3, but I determined that I needed to do the 4, because I need to increase distance and frequency.  The last half mile or so, I could tell that I was getting a little wore out as my ability to track straight was a little wobbly.  That will settle down and I expect most of the cadence splits to be pretty decent, as I leaned forward a teeny bit, which causes my cadence to increase with not too much added effort.  HR was mid-120's, I'm guessing.

The weather helped me doing 4, as I wasn't sweating much.  For the rest of the week, 60's will be the morning temps.

Tomorrow will be lifting.  Nancy, you won't be getting older, but the clock will still be ticking.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Sounds like great running weather! I hope you can get all figured out about Medicare. I only know the provider side of things (working in the medical field) although I'm surprised at how much my mom said that she and my dad pay (I don't remember if she said numbers but it sounds expensive). We're switching insurance in January just because my husband's job was acquired and we have the high deductible with HSA option for the first time and are going for that. 

Happy running!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:11 pm

ounce wrote:
Tomorrow will be lifting.  Nancy, you won't be getting older, but the clock will still be ticking.
Hope the lifting went well.

Good to hear that even though the calendar is ticking I won't be getting any older.  Very Happy
Julie wrote:Sounds like great running weather! I hope you can get all figured out about Medicare. I only know the provider side of things (working in the medical field) although I'm surprised at how much my mom said that she and my dad pay (I don't remember if she said numbers but it sounds expensive). We're switching insurance in January just because my husband's job was acquired and we have the high deductible with HSA option for the first time and are going for that. 

Happy running!
Interesting perspective as I found Medicare so much cheaper than our high deductible HSA.  I'm looking forward to joining Medicare just for that reason.  I guess it depends on what your current costs are and hence what you're comparing it to.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:35 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Good to hear that even though the calendar is ticking I won't be getting any older.  Very Happy
Julie wrote:Sounds like great running weather! I hope you can get all figured out about Medicare. I only know the provider side of things (working in the medical field) although I'm surprised at how much my mom said that she and my dad pay (I don't remember if she said numbers but it sounds expensive). We're switching insurance in January just because my husband's job was acquired and we have the high deductible with HSA option for the first time and are going for that. 

Happy running!
Interesting perspective as I found Medicare so much cheaper than our high deductible HSA.  I'm looking forward to joining Medicare just for that reason.  I guess it depends on what your current costs are and hence what you're comparing it to.
I love the HSA.  As far as how much Medicare costs, for me in Houston (which is more expensive than any other region in the State), the Supplemental premium plus the Part B premium plus the Rx premium (Part D) is cheaper per month than the monthly payroll deductions at work.  AND the WHOLE Part B deductible for the year is about $205 or so.  Taking medication co-pay out of the picture (because this can change as you get more medications and it has its own steps/stages for cost), as long as you can pay the Part B premium (like $145/mo), Supplemental premium and the annual $205 deductible...that is all of your out of pocket.  To me, it was a no brainer.  I was biased towards Medicare  Advantage at the outset.  Not any more.  AND you're not in a network.  Go see the doc you want.  No referrals.

Nancy, temps are back in the 70s.  Couldn't run Wednesday.  Will run parking garage hills tomorrow.  Today, I actually increased weights on a couple of routines.  That was surprising because I was kind of tired or not peppy when I walked into the place.  But, it didn't continue, so lift I went.

Julie, thanks for dropping by.  You, too, Nancy.  I'll try to check in before the end of the weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:52 pm

So (cheating) Astros vs. Braves.  Care to make a wager my friend? I just hope we don't get swept.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:34 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Happy running!
I love the HSA.  As far as how much Medicare costs, for me in Houston (which is more expensive than any other region in the State), the Supplemental premium plus the Part B premium plus the Rx premium (Part D) is cheaper per month than the monthly payroll deductions at work.  AND the WHOLE Part B deductible for the year is about $205 or so.  Taking medication co-pay out of the picture (because this can change as you get more medications and it has its own steps/stages for cost), as long as you can pay the Part B premium (like $145/mo), Supplemental premium and the annual $205 deductible...that is all of your out of pocket.  To me, it was a no brainer.  I was biased towards Medicare  Advantage at the outset.  Not any more.  AND you're not in a network.  Go see the doc you want.  No referrals.

Nancy, temps are back in the 70s.  Couldn't run Wednesday.  Will run parking garage hills tomorrow.  Today, I actually increased weights on a couple of routines.  That was surprising because I was kind of tired or not peppy when I walked into the place.  But, it didn't continue, so lift I went.

Julie, thanks for dropping by.  You, too, Nancy.  I'll try to check in before the end of the weekend.
Looks like we started looking into Medicare with the same bias and ended up with the same conclusion.  Makes me feel better about my decision for Marty.  Smile

Hope you had a good weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:So (cheating) Astros vs. Braves.  Care to make a wager my friend? I just hope we don't get swept.
No, Michele.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Happy running!

Looks like we started looking into Medicare with the same bias and ended up with the same conclusion.  Makes me feel better about my decision for Marty.  Smile

Hope you had a good weekend.
It's a shame the HSA can't be used to pay the premiums.  Part D is going to be the wild card, since we don't know what our afflictions are going to be and the cost of the meds.  Since I don't plan on starting SS for 6 years, I'll be a regular quarterly payer of Part B, until  I do retire & it becomes a monthly deduct.

Comparing Advantage to Supplemental 10-15 years down the road, I think this is where Advantage costs more because we are going to break more often.

-30-
So Friday, I did my hill work.  I forgot my HR strap and the wrist-guess HR function was so far off in its accuracy.  But I did my run to and fro, plus 1-1/2 up and downs.

I continue to be amazed that I can tilt my body forward juuuuuust a tad and I can maintain the 157 cadence, with no more effort, but a better split.

This morning, it was 75 degrees with the same number for dew point and it didn't really feel too bad.  Again, I ran to the parking garage WITH my HR strap.  Now, I was looking forward to the numbers.  I kinda sloshed the 1.25 miles to the garage.  But I was able to do pretty durn well going up those ramps.  But the HR was WAY off.  I was going up the last ramp and I was at 170 bpm.  I saw 174, but the watch had a 149 as the max.  When I got to the end of the top ramp, I wanted to confirm the watch was right (at this time, I figured the watch was going to record a 17x max HR.

So, I unclipped my gnome and bumped the cadence setting to 170 spm, as I was stopping.  That way, if my HR was faster than 170 (finger to wrist pulse), it would be beating faster than the gnome was chirping at 170.  AND IT WAS.  After about 15 seconds, the chirp was faster than the HR, which is normal.  And no pain, nor even any sensation.

I was even able to run the mile of the 1.25 back home.  In 75 degree weather.  This brings up the question of if I do a hillwork on a Monday, can I do 4 on a Wednesday?  Does that hillwork do something for the body to where I can run in the 70s, as if I was running in the 50s?  Wouldn't that be a hoot!  Because it's very labor intensive to run 4 miles in that humidity.  Could be the extra breezes caused by traffic on the feeder (I run alongside I-10 on the feeder (some call it the 'service road' or 'frontage road') helps cool the body off some.

Anyway, I have a new theory to play with.  I hope to be able to run before the front arrives on Wednesday morning.  Won't know about that until Tuesday evening.  I think there's a baseball game on TV on Tuesday.  Might have to check it out.

Thanks for coming by!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 27 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23 ... 27  Next