365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 18 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 18 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:54 am

Yup, sounds like another stent is in your future. Glad you're aware of your own body enough to notice and heed its signals. Far better to respond to a whisper than a screaming myocardial infarction.  Approval

On the belt, do you slip upon landing? And does the heel slip forward? If so, try shortening up your stride a bit. You may be overstriding.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Hope the stress test training is going well.   Razz Razz

Good to hear that lifting doesn't seem to cause the whisper.  You can occupy yourself with lifting while you wait for the stress test and you won't get quite so restless.

Take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:57 pm

The stress test date is fast approaching...hope training has gone well.   Wink

I haven't had time to check Strava to see if you've been out and about.  I'm assuming you've been sticking to the gym which is probably a very good decision.

Good luck on the test.  Keep us posted.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:22 pm

I wonder if he's in taper madness for this test?  bounce bounce bounce affraid bounce bounce bounce

Hope it goes well and that they capture the whisper in the act and figure out what to do about it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:24 pm

The treadmill is done and I am waiting for the after treadmill photo opp.

I went the full 9 minutes with only 2 whispers. And those were two 'barely' whispers. Got the HR up to 158. The target was to get me to 134 or so, at my age.

I dissected the process and the poor girl was probably tired and wanting this to be OVER. But she masked it well.

She said, "well, I can tell that you've been working out. Keep it up."

The doc will look at the results today or tomorrow. The tech said the more time that elapses until they call means the less that is wrong.

Yesterday, I ran OUTSIDE for about 1.45 miles and counted 4 whispers. So, I figured I was ripe for findable evidence of some problem.

Maybe not. Well, at least my whisper is consistent and predictable.

Running the treadmill at the gym at an incline did help for familiarity, once I got here for the test. If nothing else, my calves were not shocked.

Come to think about it, I actually didn't get into my shorter, real running stride until the last minute.

So, that's about it. No smoking gun is the headline. And the tech will sign off on the fact that I DO have a heart.

-30-

This morning, I went to the gym and did as much as I could in 1 hour. Went fine.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:14 pm

ounce wrote:The treadmill is done and I am waiting for the after treadmill photo opp.

I went the full 9 minutes with only 2 whispers.  And those were two 'barely' whispers.  Got the HR up to 158.  The target was to get me to 134 or so, at my age.

I dissected the process and the poor girl was probably tired and wanting this to be OVER.  But she masked it well.

She said, "well, I can tell that you've been working out.  Keep it up."

The doc will look at the results today or tomorrow.  The tech said the more time that elapses until they call means the less that is wrong.

Yesterday, I ran OUTSIDE for about 1.45 miles and counted 4 whispers.  So, I figured I was ripe for findable evidence of some problem.

Maybe not.  Well, at least my whisper is consistent and predictable.  

Running the treadmill at the gym at an incline did help for familiarity, once I got here for the test.  If nothing else, my calves were not shocked.

Come to think about it, I actually didn't get into my shorter, real running stride until the last minute.

So, that's about it.  No smoking gun is the headline.  And the tech will sign off on the fact that I DO have a heart.

-30-

This morning, I went to the gym and did as much as I could in 1 hour.  Went fine.

Glad they're not rushing you into pre-op as we speak. I hope you didn't use up all your good whispers on your run yesterday!

Interested to know what the doc tells you.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:17 pm

ounce wrote:The treadmill is done and I am waiting for the after treadmill photo opp.

I went the full 9 minutes with only 2 whispers.  And those were two 'barely' whispers.  Got the HR up to 158.  The target was to get me to 134 or so, at my age.

I dissected the process and the poor girl was probably tired and wanting this to be OVER.  But she masked it well.

She said, "well, I can tell that you've been working out.  Keep it up."

The doc will look at the results today or tomorrow.  The tech said the more time that elapses until they call means the less that is wrong.

Yesterday, I ran OUTSIDE for about 1.45 miles and counted 4 whispers.  So, I figured I was ripe for findable evidence of some problem.

Maybe not.  Well, at least my whisper is consistent and predictable.  

Running the treadmill at the gym at an incline did help for familiarity, once I got here for the test.  If nothing else, my calves were not shocked.

So, that's about it.  No smoking gun is the headline.  And the tech will sign off on the fact that I DO have a heart.

-30-

This morning, I went to the gym and did as much as I could in 1 hour.  Went fine.
Thanks for the update.  Hope they find an answer...but an easy to fix answer!

Glad you're enjoying your time at the gym.

Thanks for keeping us updated!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:48 pm

I have the results.
So, how's it going?
Oh, yeah, the results.

I have good function in my heart. Any pain I have is probably related to any plaque in the branches.
My stent is functioning well.
I am released to run. If I have any higher level of pain, call the doc.
My Ejection Fraction percentage is 56%.
Normal is 50-70 or 55-70, depending on which chart you look at.

This was the same result from December 7 nuke stress test.

So, I'm out of the woods.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 pm

Well, Mark, I had pretty much excluded a gurney race to the hospital (it's next door), prior to going to the appt.  Short of a collapse, I wasn't going to the hospital, yesterday.

I was disappointed that my heart didn't act up enough for a stent because now I have to be watchful, instead of having a new, wide open artery.

But it is what it is.  Now, I'm off to going down the road with a leak that can't be found.

Thanks, Mark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Thanks, Nancy.  Lifting has been better, lately, after getting over the shock that my new bicep exercise is so different that I had to reduce the weight twice.

As far as running, if I want to run the Full in January, I have to get going.  It's almost 6 months from today and I have zero endurance, except to go the distance on a stress test for 9 minutes.

The Half is the fall back plan.  Depending on how much lip my heart gives me, will determine that decision.

Off the top of my head, I think I need to have a long run of 13 miles by Labor Day.  13 mile LR in 7 hot weeks from scratch?  Doesn't seem doable to me.

Maybe the Half would be the better route.  I'll find out when the next price increase for the race is and go from there.  That'll be disappointing, but it is what it is...just like the results of the stress test.

C'est la vie.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:42 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.  Lifting has been better, lately, after getting over the shock that my new bicep exercise is so different that I had to reduce the weight twice.

As far as running, if I want to run the Full in January, I have to get going.  It's almost 6 months from today and I have zero endurance, except to go the distance on a stress test for 9 minutes.

The Half is the fall back plan.  Depending on how much lip my heart gives me, will determine that decision.

Off the top of my head, I think I need to have a long run of 13 miles by Labor Day.  13 mile LR in 7 hot weeks from scratch?  Doesn't seem doable to me.

Maybe the Half would be the better route.  I'll find out when the next price increase for the race is and go from there.  That'll be disappointing, but it is what it is...just like the results of the stress test.

C'est la vie.
Yes, such is life...

I'm not sure which is worse...finding something seriously wrong with your heart that they can fix or not really having a definitive answer but still a lingering concern.  The uncertainty would be more difficult for me.  Sounds like that's the boat you are in.  

It does make it hard to know what to do concerning the full/half decision.  Do you play it safe and conservative and enjoy your lifting while preparing for the half or do you push the envelope and start serious training in an attempt to be ready for the full?  Only you can answer that question.  You know your body, the risk you're willing to take, and the commitment you're willing to make to training in the heat of summer.  I'll understand and cheer your progress no matter what you decide.  

Glad you're enjoying your lifting and had a relatively positive stress test result.

Take care...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:19 pm

ounce wrote:Well, Mark, I had pretty much excluded a gurney race to the hospital (it's next door), prior to going to the appt.  Short of a collapse, I wasn't going to the hospital, yesterday.

I was disappointed that my heart didn't act up enough for a stent because now I have to be watchful, instead of having a new, wide open artery.

But it is what it is.  Now, I'm off to going down the road with a leak that can't be found.

Thanks, Mark.

Oof. It's great that they're not about to crack open your chest this weekend, but that nebulous result has got to be frustrating. 

"Go ahead and run. Just keep us on speed dial, Mr. Ounce, in case you hear angels calling for you while you're out there. If that happens, we'll get you on the schedule as soon as there's an opening. Three, four weeks, tops."

Bah.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:01 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.  Lifting has been better, lately, after getting over the shock that my new bicep exercise is so different that I had to reduce the weight twice.

C'est la vie.
Yes, such is life...

I'm not sure which is worse...finding something seriously wrong with your heart that they can fix or not really having a definitive answer but still a lingering concern.  The uncertainty would be more difficult for me.  Sounds like that's the boat you are in.  

It does make it hard to know what to do concerning the full/half decision.  Do you play it safe and conservative and enjoy your lifting while preparing for the half or do you push the envelope and start serious training in an attempt to be ready for the full?  Only you can answer that question.  You know your body, the risk you're willing to take, and the commitment you're willing to make to training in the heat of summer.  I'll understand and cheer your progress no matter what you decide.  

Glad you're enjoying your lifting and had a relatively positive stress test result.

Take care...
The Half seems to be the more rational choice.  And I can train past the Half distance, which isn't a bad thing.  Just depends on how I do, as the Fall rolls along.

Definitely, the bonus is continued lifting, but I would still lift if I was training for the Full.  Once I started running double digit long runs for the Full, I might have to slow down on lifting or maybe November to January.  Doubt that's an issue now.

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, Mark, I had pretty much excluded a gurney race to the hospital (it's next door), prior to going to the appt.  Short of a collapse, I wasn't going to the hospital, yesterday.

Thanks, Mark.

Oof. It's great that they're not about to crack open your chest this weekend, but that nebulous result has got to be frustrating. 

"Go ahead and run. Just keep us on speed dial, Mr. Ounce, in case you hear angels calling for you while you're out there. If that happens, we'll get you on the schedule as soon as there's an opening. Three, four weeks, tops."

Bah.
The doc and I had discussed the stent, had I needed one, back on June 30.  I wouldn't get anesthesia again and he'd go through the wrist.  I enjoyed being kept awake for the first one.  And it would be possible that I could go home as Outpatient with the wrist stent.  Femoral stents mean your motionless for 6-8 hours.  It wasn't fun trying to feed myself without sitting up.

I'm not worried about dying.  That's the least of my troubles.

Thanks, y'all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:43 am

I headed off to the gym, this morning.  I did most of the usual machines.  I even went ahead and tried a new, one rep max on the bench press.  One of those curiosity things.  I barely executed 170 lbs.

One thing about the bench press and the machine that I use.  I use a sitting bench press machine that is exactly like the picture:
Term Limits? - Page 18 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd98hmlWTOIUyZdI99CUfpKQ3dvUwkLCFcvyLR5GA7-No0wLqX6NpyEoa-Bg&usqp=CAc
I use this type of machine, called a Iso-Lateral Bench Press, because I don't have a spotter, if I was using the traditional lay-on-your-back bench press set up.  However, a couple of weeks ago, I got to thinking about if I could do the same weight on my back.  There are different, stabilizer muscles used, when on your back.  Forearms, front deltoid, brachialis, plus a bunch others, I imagine.

So, last week, I got on my back for a bench press and lifted 65 lbs (45 lb bar + a 10 lb on each side).  YES, there ARE many stabilizer muscles used in a traditional bench press.  They were constantly firing left and right to zero in on a central setting.  I wasn't sure how close or far from the shoulder my hands needed to be.  But I was able to do 3 sets of 6 reps, twice last week.  Today, I added 5 pounds to each side (75 lbs total) and there was further left and right firing.  Then, I wondered where my arms needed to be in relation to the chest AND the carrier where the bar is rested, when not in use.

Term Limits? - Page 18 Z

So, I will check out YouTube to determine where the head needs to be in relation to the resting bar.  I suppose that I could take two dumbbells and use those, in lieu of the bar.

I did do a search on 'muscles used for bench press' and the first thing that popped up was an Engineering paper from China in 2016.  This is one of their paragraphs that describes the process:

"Bench press is short for elevated bench press, also called a bench or lie-put-forward, and mainly trains the pectoralis major (a small chest muscle), deltoid toe, triceps, and elbow muscles, and is practiced before exercising the saw muscle, biceps, beak brachial muscle, forearm muscles, and so forth. Bench presses involve a number of muscles and have especially significant effects on the development of the upper limbs extensor and pectoralis major, an exercise that is unmatched by other exercises and therefore is known as the “king of exercises” [14]"

Treadmill running, tomorrow.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:11 am

Yeah, there's a big difference between machines and free weights. I did a more free weights back in high school for things like the bench press, so I'm biased toward them. It's too easy for one side to compensate for weakness on the other side, and it does less for those support and stabilization muscles you mentioned. I suppose twin dumbells would work, but I think there's a benefit to getting both sides of your body to work in concert. It's a more natural lifting situation, IMHO. But that's more a functional strength thing than a strictly muscle building thing, so who knows?

As I recall, the bar in the bench press is roughly even with the top of your head when you position yourself on the bench. Hands about shoulder width apart, which means if you took your hands straight down, your thumbs would touch the side of your pecs. The bar goes down to about where your collarbone sits on the down section.

But in fairness, it's been 40 years since I've done 'em, so my memory might be foggy. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks, Mark.  I figure I need to settle on the correct technique, so as to not cause a problem, nor make it tougher as the weight became heavier.

-30-

I had a eureka moment on the treadmill, this morning.  I had settled in to a 15 minute pace, where around 15-20 minutes into the run, I slipped again.  Then again about a minute later.

By now, I was holding on to the bar that also gives the HR.  For some reason, I was looking down at my feet running along.  Then, it happened again and another time a few seconds later.

Eureka!  The belt momentarily hiccups!  It's not me.  It's the machine.  I told the staff.

I believe I'll be able to move back a row and still feel the breeze of the fan.  Hope so, anyway.  SO relieved.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:46 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Mark.  I figure I need to settle on the correct technique, so as to not cause a problem, nor make it tougher as the weight became heavier.

-30-

I had a eureka moment on the treadmill, this morning.  I had settled in to a 15 minute pace, where around 15-20 minutes into the run, I slipped again.  Then again about a minute later.

By now, I was holding on to the bar that also gives the HR.  For some reason, I was looking down at my feet running along.  Then, it happened again and another time a few seconds later.

Eureka!  The belt momentarily hiccups!  It's not me.  It's the machine.  I told the staff.

I believe I'll be able to move back a row and still feel the breeze of the fan.  Hope so, anyway.  SO relieved.

Whew! Except for the fact that the treadmill was trying to kill you, this is good news.  Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:41 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, Mark.  I figure I need to settle on the correct technique, so as to not cause a problem, nor make it tougher as the weight became heavier.

-30-

Whew! Except for the fact that the treadmill was trying to kill you, this is good news.  Approval
It's not used to so much weight pounding.  I thought I could hear a "Ooomph" every now and then.  But I only have 1 working ear, so I could be wrong.

-30-

Yesterday, I didn't have a good sleep quality in the dark of Wednesday morning, so I got an extra hour of sleep, rather than work out.  But this morning, I lifted.  Added some weight to a couple of things.  I've noticed that it's taken me since June 6 to finally get to a point on bench press that I can actually complete 3 sets of 6 reps of 60 lbs on each side.  Now, I'll see if in 2 weeks, I can put 2.5 lbs on each side.

Mark, I found the bench press video I was looking for.  A 12 minute instructional video.  Now I know where to put all of the body parts.  Eyes directly under the bar.  Elbows at about 60 degrees, more pointedly, elbows not perpendicular to the shoulder socket.  And bring the bar down to below the nipples.  

In passing, he mentioned the guillotine method, which I took to be the method you described of the bar coming down to the clavicle.  He didn't show it, though.

I increased the weight on the bench press bar from 65 to 75 pounds.  BOY, there was so much stabilizing going on!  It was going on longer than I would like, but I realized I wasn't 100% concentrating on the bar.  So, I tuned everything out and laser focused my eyes to the ceiling.  THAT cured all of the wiggle to wear it was just the usual firing of the stabilizer muscles.  It took a bit to lift the bar off the holders, with that bar pressing into my glove-covered palm.  All that 75 pounds pressing on both palms.  I guess as I increase the weight, the palm has been strengthening, too.

I am at the point now with lifting to where I have more routines than I can fit into 70 minutes, which is a good place to be so I can do different routines to the same muscles.

Running on a different treadmill, in the morning.  I hope they don't compare notes.  Thanks much.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:45 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

-30-

It's not used to so much weight pounding.  I thought I could hear a "Ooomph" every now and then.  But I only have 1 working ear, so I could be wrong.

-30-

Yesterday, I didn't have a good sleep quality in the dark of Wednesday morning, so I got an extra hour of sleep, rather than work out.  But this morning, I lifted.  Added some weight to a couple of things.  I've noticed that it's taken me since June 6 to finally get to a point on bench press that I can actually complete 3 sets of 6 reps of 60 lbs on each side.  Now, I'll see if in 2 weeks, I can put 2.5 lbs on each side.

Mark, I found the bench press video I was looking for.  A 12 minute instructional video.  Now I know where to put all of the body parts.  Eyes directly under the bar.  Elbows at about 60 degrees, more pointedly, elbows not perpendicular to the shoulder socket.  And bring the bar down to below the nipples.  

In passing, he mentioned the guillotine method, which I took to be the method you described of the bar coming down to the clavicle.  He didn't show it, though.

I increased the weight on the bench press bar from 65 to 75 pounds.  BOY, there was so much stabilizing going on!  It was going on longer than I would like, but I realized I wasn't 100% concentrating on the bar.  So, I tuned everything out and laser focused my eyes to the ceiling.  THAT cured all of the wiggle to wear it was just the usual firing of the stabilizer muscles.  It took a bit to lift the bar off the holders, with that bar pressing into my glove-covered palm.  All that 75 pounds pressing on both palms.  I guess as I increase the weight, the palm has been strengthening, too.

I am at the point now with lifting to where I have more routines than I can fit into 70 minutes, which is a good place to be so I can do different routines to the same muscles.

Running on a different treadmill, in the morning.  I hope they don't compare notes.  Thanks much.

"guillotine method"  affraid

Kinda makes me wonder if my classmates were trying to kill me. Hm...

Anyway, good workout and I"m glad you found a more current resource to help you. Let's hope the treadmills haven't organized.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:11 pm

Friday, I headed up to the treadmill at the gym.  I chose the treadmill next to the one that had the hiccups.  I was pleased to see a 'service has been called' sticker on the treadmill with the hiccups.

My goal was a 30 minute running event with 6 minutes of warmup.  Everything went well.  I ran at a 15 minute pace.  I had a couple of those whispers, but I kept going.  During the last 5 minutes, I could tell I was getting tired because I was weaving a bit on the belt.  The average was 127 bpm and it increased in the last 5 minutes, too.  the Polar says the max HR was 135.  2 miles plus a 1/4 for walking 6 minutes.

It felt really nice to be able to run on and not stop for a whisper.

I received a hard copy of the stress test.  I found a typo on it where it said my ejection fraction was 96%, instead of 56%.  That fraction can only get up to 70%.

A 'yeah baby' moment on the report which said, "The heart rate was 62 bpm at baseline and increased to 164 bpm at peak exercise, which is 105% of maximum predicted heart rate for age.  The stress test was terminated due to fatigue.  Blood pressure was 126/74 at baseline and 170/92 at peak exercise, demonstrating a normal response to the stress test performed.  The patient developed no symptoms during the stress procedure.  The stress ECG revealed nondiagnostic ST changes with premature ventricular contractions note."

Later it said, "The overall quality of this study is excellent.  Both sets of images are within normal limits.  The images reveal no reversible or fix perfusion defects.  There is no evidence of abnormal extra-cardiac uptake.  There is no evidence of transient stress-induced left ventricular cavity dilation.  The calculated TID ratio is 0.96.  Regional wall motion and systolic thickening appear to be normal in all segments.  The stress ECG results are indeterminate for ischemia."

So, normal.  'non-diagnostic ST changes' is defined as, "Non specific ST T wave changes refer to changes in the T waves (such as inversion or flattening) and ST segments (such as ST depression) on the electrocardiogram that due not follow an anatomic distribution and are not diagnostic of any one condition. "

abadee-abadee-abadee, that's all folks!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:49 pm

ounce wrote:Friday, I headed up to the treadmill at the gym.  I chose the treadmill next to the one that had the hiccups.  I was pleased to see a 'service has been called' sticker on the treadmill with the hiccups.

My goal was a 30 minute running event with 6 minutes of warmup.  Everything went well.  I ran at a 15 minute pace.  I had a couple of those whispers, but I kept going.  During the last 5 minutes, I could tell I was getting tired because I was weaving a bit on the belt.  The average was 127 bpm and it increased in the last 5 minutes, too.  the Polar says the max HR was 135.  2 miles plus a 1/4 for walking 6 minutes.

I received a hard copy of the stress test.  I found a typo on it where it said my ejection fraction was 96%, instead of 56%.  That fraction can only get up to 70%.

A 'yeah baby' moment on the report which said, "The heart rate was 62 bpm at baseline and increased to 164 bpm at peak exercise, which is 105% of maximum predicted heart rate for age.  The stress test was terminated due to fatigue.  Blood pressure was 126/74 at baseline and 170/92 at peak exercise, demonstrating a normal response to the stress test performed.  The patient developed no symptoms during the stress procedure.  The stress ECG revealed nondiagnostic ST changes with premature ventricular contractions note."

Later it said, "The overall quality of this study is excellent.  Both sets of images are within normal limits.  The images reveal no reversible or fix perfusion defects.  There is no evidence of abnormal extra-cardiac uptake.  There is no evidence of transient stress-induced left ventricular cavity dilation.  The calculated TID ratio is 0.96.  Regional wall motion and systolic thickening appear to be normal in all segments.  The stress ECG results are indeterminate for ischemia."

So, normal.  'non-diagnostic ST changes' is defined as, "Non specific ST T wave changes refer to changes in the T waves (such as inversion or flattening) and ST segments (such as ST depression) on the electrocardiogram that due not follow an anatomic distribution and are not diagnostic of any one condition. "

First things first...sounds like your treadmill run went well.   Running 

You're really getting into your lifting routine.  Good to hear you're expanding your variety of lifts...and learning how to do them correctly.  I just follow along with the Beachbody videos and do as I'm told.  My workouts are pretty much all just with dumb bells but some use resistance bands and a good portion are just body weight.

Thanks for sharing more detail on your stress test results.  You're like me...you analyze the results and want to know more than what they initially share with you.  The details are important and you/I like to know the details and understand them.   Congrats on the Max HR.  It always feels good to be above average.   cheers

Take care.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  Happy lifting.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:01 pm

Nice work on the treadmill run! I don't think I could make myself run on the treadmill if the roads weren't icy, but I know not everyone thinks like that.

Congrats on the max HR! Sounds like your heart is happy you run. Smile
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:50 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Friday, I headed up to the treadmill at the gym.  I chose the treadmill next to the one that had the hiccups.  I was pleased to see a 'service has been called' sticker on the treadmill with the hiccups.

First things first...sounds like your treadmill run went well.   Running 

You're really getting into your lifting routine.  Good to hear you're expanding your variety of lifts...and learning how to do them correctly.  I just follow along with the Beachbody videos and do as I'm told.  My workouts are pretty much all just with dumb bells but some use resistance bands and a good portion are just body weight.

Thanks for sharing more detail on your stress test results.  You're like me...you analyze the results and want to know more than what they initially share with you.  The details are important and you/I like to know the details and understand them.   Congrats on the Max HR.  It always feels good to be above average.   cheers

Take care.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  Happy lifting.
Yes, it did, Nancy.  Thanks.  I would move the fan over towards me a bit, but the temp was fine with a sleeveless shirt.  With the wavering I did, now I know how I can measure the run.  

I guess with the vertical bench press and the workout weight of 120, all the muscles are now having to concentrate on the 120, rather than not having to use ALL of the muscle's ability at the lighter weights.  It's the only reason I can think of as to why it's taken so many weeks to get better.  Of course, there's the 6 week time period for the mitochondria to produce more muscle fibers that enters into the picture.  

By looking at the stress test report, you'd never know that my complaint existed.  I still want to know more.  I need to search on how to increase ejection fraction, but I'll never know if I'm getting better or worse, unless I get an angiogram or another nuke stress test.

Nancy, I can't help but think that training for the stress test with the treadmill at 5% two times helped me on the stress test.  My calves weren't shocked and surprised at the angle, as the stress test went along.  They said the pitch was 14%, but it didn't phase me.  So, file that away in the back of your mind for your next stress test, whenever that is.
Julie wrote:Nice work on the treadmill run! I don't think I could make myself run on the treadmill if the roads weren't icy, but I know not everyone thinks like that.

Congrats on the max HR! Sounds like your heart is happy you run. Smile
  Thanks, Julie and thanks for posting.  I'm only on that contraption because of the 78 degrees with 100% humidity.  Once it gets cooler, bye bye treadmill.  But for now, it's working for me.

Thanks on the max, too.  The best thing about this 164 bpm is that it happened on the doc's own machine and protocol.  It wasn't a GPS watch with a strap for HR.  It was his machine.  So he now has objective evidence that a 244 lb, 64 year old with a stent and a whisper of heart pain can run at 164 bpm.  Like he said back in December when I went to the hospital for angina, when I thought it was another heart attack, "most of my patients don't wake up in the morning and run 10 miles."

Thanks, y'all. king
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:36 am

So I wanted to show what "ST wave changes" comes from.  On an EKG, you've seen how the heart beat is visualized.  Well, each of those peaks or valleys have a letter of the alphabet assigned to it.  And they look like the image below:
Term Limits? - Page 18 PQRST

"premature ventricular contractions' are also called PVC's, which shows on the EKG printout as random spikes and feels like your heart is out of rhythm by speeding up randomly and rapidly or 'fluttering,' then returning to normal rhythm.  I've had this for many years and was the reason that my BP med, Coreg, was increased from 3.125 mg 2x/day to 6.25 2x/day.  He said 3.125 dosage was such a miniscule dosage, anyway.  The term for when PVC's occur is "throwing PVC's" and is only excess if it happens 10-15% of the time.  Evidently my PVCs are not worrisome.

Term Limits? - Page 18 Z

"The calculated TID ratio is 0.96" which means not much by itself from a diagnostic viewpoint and is only an issue when the ratio is greater than 1.12.  "TID" is Transient Ischemic Dilatation and is Stress Volume: Rest Volume.  I couldn't find a normal range anywhere, but sure could find that 1.12+ is not good.

With regard to improving 'ejection fraction,' losing weight, surprisingly, was immaterial.  Moving around was good.  Check.

So if you didn't know that I had a stent, you'd think I'm aces.  

-30-

I was a hamster on the wheel, this morning, for 31:44 at an average bpm of 122 with a max of 131 at a 15 minute pace.  Two-thirds of the time, my HR was between 108 and 125.  No burps from the wheel.  I even wore one of my older pair of shoes with no issue.  You'll remember that I started wearing a new pair, when the wheel burped.  I think my HR increased in the last third because I turned on the gnome, which required me to increase my turnover.

I didn't have much wavering on the wheel.  I'm curious as to whether I should, next week, increase pace, increase cadence, or run longer?  Increase pace would be good for the heart by taxing it (getting it out of the hammock) and being able to run at a faster pace when I return to run in the neighborhood.

I will give kudos to the wheel for one thing, the pace you select is the pace you run.  No slowing near the end for fatigue and, conversely, no speeding up, unless you change the setting.  I can see that as a stamina enhancer.

Y'all take care.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:52 pm

That's great news! Woot!

Weird question: Could your "whisper" actually be a PVC? I've had a few of them over the years (actually put me in an ICU in Thailand many years ago as a precaution), but to have them during a run would certainly be something you could perceive. Maybe?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Next