365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 17 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 17 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Mon May 24, 2021 7:56 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
I was pleased with the cadence, especially since I ran 3 miles the day before.  10 miles for the week.  Probably run 6 miles on Monday.  Y'all have a good weekend. alien
 You completed a couple pretty nice runs yesterday and today.  Not super long but pretty consistent.  The fact that you could run 4 today at that cadence and pace is a good sign.  I do think that running more often has been the key to the improvement I've seen over the past year.  I did a lot of 3 and 4 mile runs and eventually 5 and 6 mile easy runs over the last 14 months.  I'm just starting to realize how much they helped my running.  

The only other comment I have about your running is...how in the world do you get up and get going that early?    I realize that part of the reason you do is to run when it's cooler but I'm not sure I could drag myself out of bed at that time of day.  Are you a coffee drinker?  Do you take time to hydrate and fuel at all before your early morning runs?

Enjoy your weekend.
Getting up is all dependent on getting back home by 6 a.m.  So, my simple formula is (15 min * qty of miles) + 30 minutes.  The answer tells me total minutes to subtract from 6:00.  4 miles = 4:30 a.m. wake up. 6 miles = 4:00 wake up.  Under 8 miles, I won't eat anything and usually just a sip or two of water.  I may have a cup or two of hot tea during the morning, after the run.  I may wait to eat until 10 a.m.  Just depends.

I do it because it's the only time I can fit a run in, while it's cool or cool, compared to afternoon or evening.  AND the traffic is much less.

-30-

6 miles was the target, but there was a problem after Friday's run.  Poison ivy.  While clipping some vines, poison ivy must've been on some of the (I cut some poison ivy, too) vines.  I showered immediately after getting back to the apt.  Saturday, it showed up on my left forearm.  Today, my left forearm is like Popeye's, with a very low amount of blisters that were not even raised off the skin.

I've had very bad reactions and this one is not as bad as those because I showered after cutting the brush.  I see the doc on Wednesday.  I'll get a pack of steroids to take.  Itch cream, Colloidal oatmeal soaks, rubbing alcohol, calamine lotion has been my home treatments.  It has spread mostly around the torso and right forearm.  Guess the poison ivy oil was on the soap, or my hand as I was using the soap.

So I tried to run this morning, but the rubbing of my forearm against my shirt during a stride was as if I was scratching my arm.  I got a mile and it was just too much to continue.

Again, it looks like Friday will be the long run.

I will decide later whether I will go lift weights in the morning.  I'm not contagious.

The weather this morning was around 72 with a breeze and in between showers.  The weatherman has said that it has rained 17 of the 24 days in May.

Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 26, 2021 1:21 pm

So, I still have Popeye's left forearm.  I didn't lift, yesterday, because I just felt like it would be more of a sensory overload doing various push and pull arm exercises and might cause me to scratch my arm.  I didn't run this morning and will not run until the swelling is down.

I can tell you that anti-itch cream over a large area doesn't do much for relieving itching.  I can recommend calamine lotion, rubbing alcohol or even vinegar (if you can handle the smell).  The colloidal oats powder (Aveeno is a maker of it) does very well in the tub for relief over 6 hours or so.  Although, getting the affected areas soaked can be a challenge.  Except for the cream, the other therapies work by drying out the affected area.

The oats powder soak in the tub plus spreading calamine lotion on the areas before bedtime is a golden ticket to a scratch-free sleep.  Case in point:  I had 1 envelope of powder left.  I did not use it last night before bedtime because I wanted to use it this morning.  I lathered up with calamine.  I woke up about 2 a.m. scratching.  Oh, well.  I got up and used the last envelope in the tub and slept well, afterwards.

About 2 hours ago, the doc said my contact dermatitis was bad enough to warrant a steroid injection.  I was tickled and received the shot near a patch of it on my fanny.  I asked her about why I am still getting blisters on areas that popped up today.  She said if I scratch an area, then that causes the body to react and send troops to the scratched area.  Hence, the blister.

Poison ivy doesn't grow above 5,000 feet.  Can't speak for poison oak nor sumac.

As far as the injection, Dr. Google says:
How a Steroid Shot Works. A poison ivy steroid shot works by constricting blood vessels which cools down the affected area and limits the amount of water reaching the rash which disrupts the effects of the allergic reaction.

End of the Medical Report
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 28, 2021 3:21 pm

That injection sure took the edge off those nerve endings.  It did it so well that I didn't need to soak or put calamine liquid on it.  However, the swelling is  taking its sweet time going down.  It hasn't reduced much since Wednesday, but I sure am not scratching like I did since Sunday.

She called in a prescription for Triamcinolone Acteonide Cream 0.1%.  It's a 'moderate to strong' cortisone cream.  I can only use it for 2 weeks, I can't use it then put a bandage or any covering on it.  Not on the underarms, not while wearing a diaper (whew), etc.  Apply 2x/day.  The cream dries out the affected area.  It also is making the areas less red during the overnight hours, but returns after a shower.

The cream is dirt cheap.  A dollar a tube of 15 grams.  So, I'll see how it looks on Monday for lifting on Tuesday.  Y'all have a long, good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 28, 2021 9:39 pm

Boy you don't do anything half way do you!  Sounds like you're starting to feel a bit better and getting closer to running and lifting.  

Enjoy the weekend...hope Monday's decision is lifting on Tuesday.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:27 am

I noticed that you ventured out for run on Tuesday morning...hope that means you're feeling better and no longer have Popeye arms.  Have you also been back at the gym?

Take care...Nancy
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Really sorry about the poison ivy.  No fun! I wonder if hydrocortisone cream would be of any value. My youngest has very very sensitive skin and many allergies (and had eczema terribly until I figured out she was allergic to the cat and we gave him to a close friend) so we have a lot of hydrocortisone cream on hand.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Yipes! Poison ivy sounds nasty. We don't have it on this part of the country, but we do have poison oak. Thankfully, I'm not sensitive to that. My itching is for other things.

When the itch gets really bad, I've never found hydrocortisone cream works. I need high powered steroid ointments. Do they do that for poison ivy?

Hope it settles down soon.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:11 pm

nkrichards wrote:Boy you don't do anything half way do you!  Sounds like you're starting to feel a bit better and getting closer to running and lifting.  

This fight with poison ivy was only moderate, too!
nkrichards wrote:I noticed that you ventured out for run on Tuesday morning...hope that means you're feeling better and no longer have Popeye arms.  Have you also been back at the gym?

Take care...Nancy
I tried to go out Tuesday for 4 or 5 miles, but it was 82 degrees and I felt my heart sort of going, "psst.  don't run today.  just sayin'."  There was no pain.  It was just something I noticed that was located behind the sternum.  So, I noted the conditions (hot 'n humid)...last time I ran (a week)...did I warm up for 6 minutes (yes).  But it was too late for changing and going to the gym.

So, I ran Wednesday for 5 miles without issue at all.

I figured out that I wouldn't be able to run 10 miles by the end of June.  That's fine.

This past Monday, June 14, I headed out and I got the "psst" again.  81 degrees, 2 days rest, did the warmup.  So, it's either the 2 day rest and the heart is too relaxed to crank up at the start of a run (at about 0.30 miles into the run) or it's the weather.

On June 21, I will go and workout.  I can get the heart going for short spurts over a 70 minute period, which could be enough warmup for the heart to run on Tuesday in 80 degree weather.  It's either workout or hope for a sub-80 degree morning.

Weights are going well and that bench press goal of 160 will be a definite challenge by June 30.  I increased my workout weight to 120.  If the past is an accurate judge, I need to be at 125 workout to hit a 1 rep max of 160.  But I can't tell if that's an accurate if/then weight or not.

Still enjoying both exercise functions.  I see the cardiologist on June 30.  I'll tell him about the "psst" events.

Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Julie wrote:Really sorry about the poison ivy.  No fun! I wonder if hydrocortisone cream would be of any value. My youngest has very very sensitive skin and many allergies (and had eczema terribly until I figured out she was allergic to the cat and we gave him to a close friend) so we have a lot of hydrocortisone cream on hand.
Hey, Julie!  Thanks for dropping by.  The hydrocortisone was doing decently before the dexamethasone injection, but using the Aveeno oats soaking in the bath tub with the hot water was doing great.  Pouring alcohol, then vinegar on my arms to dry out the arm was doing great.  Calamine was great as well.  After the shot, the hydrocortisone cream was not contributing at all.  There were times when the alcohol did cause pain when it found an open part of the skin.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm

ounce wrote:That injection sure took the edge off those nerve endings.  It did it so well that I didn't need to soak or put calamine liquid on it.  However, the swelling is  taking its sweet time going down.  It hasn't reduced much since Wednesday, but I sure am not scratching like I did since Sunday.

She called in a prescription for Triamcinolone Acteonide Cream 0.1%.  It's a 'moderate to strong' cortisone cream.  I can only use it for 2 weeks, I can't use it then put a bandage or any covering on it.  Not on the underarms, not while wearing a diaper (whew), etc.  Apply 2x/day.  The cream dries out the affected area.  It also is making the areas less red during the overnight hours, but returns after a shower.

The cream is dirt cheap.  A dollar a tube of 15 grams.  So, I'll see how it looks on Monday for lifting on Tuesday.  Y'all have a long, good weekend.

Mark B wrote:Yipes! Poison ivy sounds nasty. We don't have it on this part of the country, but we do have poison oak. Thankfully, I'm not sensitive to that. My itching is for other things.

When the itch gets really bad, I've never found hydrocortisone cream works. I need high powered steroid ointments. Do they do that for poison ivy?

Hope it settles down soon.
Hey, Mark.  Yes, there's a steroid cream.  It's in the above post.  When the pharmacist said not to use it after 2 weeks, I read the package insert.  I don't read that much, but it was interesting.  This is some fairly serious cream, but cheap.  Also got a dexamethaszone injection.  THAT took the edge off the nerve endings by decreasing fluid in the arm within about 12 hours.

Swelling is gone, although all of redness in the affected areas is still sloooowly lightening up.  It's very easy for me to tell where ground zero is.

-30-
I tried to run this morning, but wasn't feeling it.  No pain or 'psst.'  I will lift weights, tomorrow.

Appreciate y'all coming by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:07 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Boy you don't do anything half way do you!  Sounds like you're starting to feel a bit better and getting closer to running and lifting.  

This fight with poison ivy was only moderate, too!
nkrichards wrote:I noticed that you ventured out for run on Tuesday morning...hope that means you're feeling better and no longer have Popeye arms.  Have you also been back at the gym?

Take care...Nancy
I tried to go out Tuesday for 4 or 5 miles, but it was 82 degrees and I felt my heart sort of going, "psst.  don't run today.  just sayin'."  There was no pain.  It was just something I noticed that was located behind the sternum.  So, I noted the conditions (hot 'n humid)...last time I ran (a week)...did I warm up for 6 minutes (yes).  But it was too late for changing and going to the gym.

So, I ran Wednesday for 5 miles without issue at all.

I figured out that I wouldn't be able to run 10 miles by the end of June.  That's fine.

This past Monday, June 14, I headed out and I got the "psst" again.  81 degrees, 2 days rest, did the warmup.  So, it's either the 2 day rest and the heart is too relaxed to crank up at the start of a run (at about 0.30 miles into the run) or it's the weather.

On June 21, I will go and workout.  I can get the heart going for short spurts over a 70 minute period, which could be enough warmup for the heart to run on Tuesday in 80 degree weather.  It's either workout or hope for a sub-80 degree morning.

Weights are going well and that bench press goal of 160 will be a definite challenge by June 30.  I increased my workout weight to 120.  If the past is an accurate judge, I need to be at 125 workout to hit a 1 rep max of 160.  But I can't tell if that's an accurate if/then weight or not.

Still enjoying both exercise functions.  I see the cardiologist on June 30.  I'll tell him about the "psst" events.

Thanks, Nancy.
Thanks for the update Doug.  I'm not pleased to hear your heart is whispering warnings and indicating a desire to return home but I am pleased to hear that you are listening!!  And that you have an appointment with the cardiologist scheduled.

Enjoy your lifting.  Run as your body allows. And keep us updated.

Be especially careful in this heat!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Thanks, Nancy. The doc appt had already been scheduled for months.

I did go lift weights, this morning. I went over to the counter balance machine to see if I could do a pull up with 100 lbs of me removed, per the goal.

Nope. Barely got it off the ground. Seems to lend credence to how important the biceps are.

Prior to that (about 15 minutes), I was curious about the bench press one rep max of 160 goal. The first attempt, 2 weeks ago, moved the apparatus about the length of your fingers. So, I loaded 80 on each side. I pushed it past the last attempt and deliberately pushed it all the way. It wasn't easy, but I wasn't making bizarre facial expressions, either.

Check that box.

All this week, I've been thinking about how can I run without any whispers, as Nancy put it. Yesterday, I thought of an absolutely hideous idea that just might work, if the conditions were right. A treadmill at the gym. Hate the things.

So, after I finished with weights, I walked upstairs to see if it was cool up there and if the air was stirring. I found a treadmill right next to a bigger sized fan mounted on a wall. It would be blowing on me.

Back in 2006, their treadmills would go for an hour before shutting down. An hour's run would get me 4 and change miles in drier and cooler 'weather.'

Monday, I'll walk the 6 minutes, the start running for an hour. It just might work

Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Like Nancy, I'm glad you're listening to the "psst!" and not pushing your luck. Hope the cardiologist can give you some clarity on what's going on, and why.

Great work in the gym! I don't think I was ever able to lift that much, even when I was lifting weights, so I'm suitably impressed. 

If it turns out to be the heat 'n' humidity that's causing the "psst!" a treadmill in an a/c gym with a fan is better than looking out the window and grumbling. Just sayin'.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:27 pm

I don't think the doc will be able to find anything. If he couldn't find anything wrong on December 7 with the angina and a nuke stress test, he won't be able to find anything on a whisper. I'll just be able to communicate causal conditions of a whisper.

Thanks on the weights, Mark. I just have a long term goal along with consistency and persistency. I just keep at it.

Interested to see what happens on the treadmill, tomorrow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:24 pm

The environment for the treadmill was really good.  I didn't do the full walking warm up, but did a good bit of it.  The fast breeze from the fan was ample.  Almost like a dog with the window down in the car, but not sticking his head out.  With the coolness, I plugged the pace in at 14:17, which was fine.  At 0.61 miles, I started to notice the whisper.  So, I straddled the belt until the discomfort stopped, then resumed.  It re-started at 1.01, rinse repeat.  

Oddly, the rear sole, heel strike area of my shoe was slipping on the belt, like hitting an ice patch.  Quite startling.  I sped up the pace to 13:57, but couldn't adjust the ice patch, so I quit at 1.61 miles, when a 3rd whisper occurred.

So, I learned the following.  
1.  Wear a new pair of shoes.
2.  Running almost into a fan is quite nice.
3.  I may need to do some sort of exercise on Sunday night to wake up the heart for Monday morning or lift weights on Monday and run on Tuesday.  Reason being is that when I run on Tuesday, after having whispers on Monday, I have zero whispers.  That's why I think if I engage the heart on Sunday evening, the heart is already opened to enough of a degree that it doesn't return to Sunday pre-exercise diameter.  I think it would take more than 6 minutes of walking.  Maybe lifting weights.  Maybe run a mile.  Maybe do 4 sets of 30 leg lifts at home.

I still have options.  I'll run in the morning with a new pair.  If lifting on Monday, then running on Tuesday mutes the whispers, I'm fine with that.

Thanks for reading.  If I'm typing too fast for you to keep up, let me know and I'll type slower.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:51 pm

Glad the treadmill environment is more forgiving, though yeah - newer shoes sound like a good idea. 

I'm not sure that waking the heart up is definitely the best way to go, but I will suggest that if you get another test like a stress EKG to be sure to NOT give your heart the warmup the day before to increase the chance it happens during the test where they can possibly catch it and see what's going on. You don't want to be like the guy who goes to the mechanic with the check engine light on only to have it go off the instant you turn into the parking lot.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:51 pm

I'll admit it Doug...those whispers have me a little bit nervous.  I'm glad you're listening and pausing till it passes.  And I do hope that they can figure out what is going on.  

Enjoy the fan, and the weights...and stay well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 pm

Mark B wrote:Glad the treadmill environment is more forgiving, though yeah - newer shoes sound like a good idea. 

I'm not sure that waking the heart up is definitely the best way to go, but I will suggest that if you get another test like a stress EKG to be sure to NOT give your heart the warmup the day before to increase the chance it happens during the test where they can possibly catch it and see what's going on. You don't want to be like the guy who goes to the mechanic with the check engine light on only to have it go off the instant you turn into the parking lot.
It's the plan.
nkrichards wrote:I'll admit it Doug...those whispers have me a little bit nervous.  I'm glad you're listening and pausing till it passes.  And I do hope that they can figure out what is going on.  

I wouldn't be nervous.  It must like me to give me the signals.  Personally, I don't think they'll find out what's going on until the Tropanin is showing a spike.  Hopefully, he won't try medicate it away.

-30-

This morning, I showed up at the gym and hopped up on the treadmill with a new pair of shoes.  I did the full 6 minute warmup, then sped up the belt to a 14:17 pace.  The heart went well.  No problems.  It looks like I'm working out the day before I run or running a mile or so the day before.  At least I ruled out weather as an instigator.  

14:17 pace is quite active for me, since the weather got into the 60s.  My goal was to run the remaining 54 minutes in the hour.  But I was wearing out after 23 minutes and an average 123 bpm, which is fine by me.  If I can continue to be responsive to the heart and not slip on the treadmill, then the summer looks to be a good training ground.

Regarding the shoes, I did slip a couple of times on the belt, even with the new shoes.  I think a possible occurrence was sweat trickling down my arm and SOMEHOW my shoe hit the drops.  Keep in mind that I'm ruling out things while running with my hands inches from the grab bar.  So, I was using the towel to wipe my forearms.  No more slipping.  Might have to wear a long sleeved shirt.

Thanks for writing in.
So, tomorrow...back to the gym, but this time for weights.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Glad the treadmill environment is more forgiving, though yeah - newer shoes sound like a good idea. 

It's the plan.
nkrichards wrote:I'll admit it Doug...those whispers have me a little bit nervous.  I'm glad you're listening and pausing till it passes.  And I do hope that they can figure out what is going on.  

I wouldn't be nervous.  It must like me to give me the signals.  Personally, I don't think they'll find out what's going on until the Tropanin is showing a spike.  Hopefully, he won't try medicate it away.

-30-

This morning, I showed up at the gym and hopped up on the treadmill with a new pair of shoes.  I did the full 6 minute warmup, then sped up the belt to a 14:17 pace.  The heart went well.  No problems.  It looks like I'm working out the day before I run or running a mile or so the day before.  At least I ruled out weather as an instigator.  

14:17 pace is quite active for me, since the weather got into the 60s.  My goal was to run the remaining 54 minutes in the hour.  But I was wearing out after 23 minutes and an average 123 bpm, which is fine by me.  If I can continue to be responsive to the heart and not slip on the treadmill, then the summer looks to be a good training ground.

Regarding the shoes, I did slip a couple of times on the belt, even with the new shoes.  I think a possible occurrence was sweat trickling down my arm and SOMEHOW my shoe hit the drops.  Keep in mind that I'm ruling out things while running with my hands inches from the grab bar.  So, I was using the towel to wipe my forearms.  No more slipping.  Might have to wear a long sleeved shirt.

Thanks for writing in.
So, tomorrow...back to the gym, but this time for weights.
Glad to hear that the run went well and the heart was cooperative.  Sounds like the treadmill may be a very good option for summer training.  It's been warm here...and muggy.  Nothing like you run in but quite a change for me.  I don't know how you do it!

Enjoy your weight session tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Well, I guess I have my own version of Melissa inside telling me to run in the muggy.

I lifted today and it went well, except I'm going to change up the leg lifts that I do, so I can keep the effort going and not get bored.  Whatever I change it to will be more difficult because I'll be using different secondary muscles.  So, the interview shall begin on Friday.

Continue tomorrow on tweaking the treadmill running with the remaining tweak is not slipping on the belt.  I'll wear a long sleeved shirt to see to rule out sweat drops as the cause of the slippage.  

Tune in for another exciting episode, later.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:30 pm

ounce wrote:Well, I guess I have my own version of Melissa inside telling me to run in the muggy.

I lifted today and it went well, except I'm going to change up the leg lifts that I do, so I can keep the effort going and not get bored.  Whatever I change it to will be more difficult because I'll be using different secondary muscles.  So, the interview shall begin on Friday.

Continue tomorrow on tweaking the treadmill running with the remaining tweak is not slipping on the belt.  I'll wear a long sleeved shirt to see to rule out sweat drops as the cause of the slippage.  

Good to hear that you're taking advantage of Melissa's advice but doing it safely indoors!

Changing up the exercises on a regular basis is good.  It doesn't have to actually be harder...ie heavier...but working different muscles will add value.

Enjoy your treadmill experiment experience.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:25 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, I guess I have my own version of Melissa inside telling me to run in the muggy.

Good to hear that you're taking advantage of Melissa's advice but doing it safely indoors!

Changing up the exercises on a regular basis is good.  It doesn't have to actually be harder...ie heavier...but working different muscles will add value.

Enjoy your treadmill experiment experience.
On Thursday, the long sleeved shirt almost worked for the entire time, but I did slip once.  So I imagine the slippage is more related to foot placement, rather than sweat.  But I'll work on it.  I didn't have any whispers until mile 1.  I may not have found the exact remedy, but I'm further along than not running at all.  It's made me consider the possibility of not running the marathon in January, instead the Half.

Friday, I woke up 20 minutes after the alarm sounded.  But I didn't think I had done so much that week that I was wore out.  Well, I had.  I got through the first 20 minutes of my usual workout and figured that I couldn't complete the usual workout.  Lesson learned.  But will I have the stamina to do the full Friday lifting, if I am persistent and patient?  Yeah, I think so.

Tomorrow, I will lift.  Tuesday, run, etc.

thanks, Nancy
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:25 pm

typed all that for nothing.

Okay.  cliff notes.  New bicep routine is tougher.  Same for core exercise, but has a nice upside.
Ran Tuesday on the treadmill.  Today, the employee didn't show up at 5.  I left.
Saw the doc on Wednesday.  I think the frequency of the whispering made it an easy choice to do a stress test on July 14 at 9:15.  I asked if I could swap a faster belt speed for a lower angle on the treadmill.  Nope, that's against the standard stress test protocol.  But once he got the information he needed at the ? bpm, then if I wanted to keep going, have at it.

When, if he finds something to stent?  Beats me, guess it depends on the findings.  It'll be another nuke stress test as on December 7, but in the office.  I asked if he could do the next stent without anesthesia again because that was cool.  He said sure and maybe insert the stent through the wrist.  Less recovery time, instead of going through the femoral artery.  

Tuesday's run had a whisper at mile 1, but I ran through it and it resolved.

That's about it.  Have a great weekend.  Have I mentioned that it's cooler down here because of rain?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:42 pm

ounce wrote:typed all that for nothing.

Okay.  cliff notes.  New bicep routine is tougher.  Same for core exercise, but has a nice upside.
Ran Tuesday on the treadmill.  Today, the employee didn't show up at 5.  I left.
Saw the doc on Wednesday.  I think the frequency of the whispering made it an easy choice to do a stress test on July 14 at 9:15.  I asked if I could swap a faster belt speed for a lower angle on the treadmill.  Nope, that's against the standard stress test protocol.  But once he got the information he needed at the ? bpm, then if I wanted to keep going, have at it.

When, if he finds something to stent?  Beats me, guess it depends on the findings.  It'll be another nuke stress test as on December 7, but in the office.  I asked if he could do the next stent without anesthesia again because that was cool.  He said sure and maybe insert the stent through the wrist.  Less recovery time, instead of going through the femoral artery.  

That's about it.  Have a great weekend.  Have I mentioned that it's cooler down here because of rain?
Not surprised and pleased to hear that they are looking into your whispering heart.  You didn't mention but I assume that he's okay with your current level of exercise until the stress test on 7/14.  Sounds reasonable to me...just don't try and train for the stress test!  And I'm sure you don't need to be reminded to listen to your body.

They tried to do my procedure through the wrist but weren't able to find a good entry point.  I have very uncooperative veins/arteries.  They had to go in through the femoral artery for both my initial procedure on Monday afternoon and again for the followup on Wednesday.

Good to hear you're enjoying your more challenging lifting routine.

Glad to hear it's cooler there.  It cooled down to normal hot summer temperatures here.  100 degrees is a huge improvement over the extreme temps of 110+!!  Boy could we use some rain.  This is turning into an extreme drought.  Our irrigation water allotments were decreased twice in the last 10 days and they also initiated a cap on the amount of water we could order daily as the announcement of the first allotment decrease created a run on water that the district was unable to deliver.  Drying up lower value crops and crossing our fingers that we'll have enough water to get our high value (seed) crops to harvest in late August/early September.

Stay safe and enjoy the holiday!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:41 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:typed all that for nothing.

Not surprised and pleased to hear that they are looking into your whispering heart.  You didn't mention but I assume that he's okay with your current level of exercise until the stress test on 7/14.  Sounds reasonable to me...just don't try and train for the stress test!  And I'm sure you don't need to be reminded to listen to your body.

They tried to do my procedure through the wrist but weren't able to find a good entry point.  I have very uncooperative veins/arteries.  They had to go in through the femoral artery for both my initial procedure on Monday afternoon and again for the followup on Wednesday.

Good to hear you're enjoying your more challenging lifting routine.

Glad to hear it's cooler there.  It cooled down to normal hot summer temperatures here.  100 degrees is a huge improvement over the extreme temps of 110+!!  Boy could we use some rain.  This is turning into an extreme drought.  Our irrigation water allotments were decreased twice in the last 10 days and they also initiated a cap on the amount of water we could order daily as the announcement of the first allotment decrease created a run on water that the district was unable to deliver.  Drying up lower value crops and crossing our fingers that we'll have enough water to get our high value (seed) crops to harvest in late August/early September.

Stay safe and enjoy the holiday!
He didn't say a word about not working out during the days before the nuke.  And I never thought about it.

"...just don't try and train for the stress test."  Who?  ME??????
Embarassed
so Friday, I started training for the stress test. Laughing  I am imagining that the goal HR is something less than 140 because the Dec 7 nuke stress test was 138.  138 was the max HR to train at after I was cleared to run again in October 2019, about 6 weeks after the heart attack.  I did the 2 sets of 3 minute warm up walking.  Then ran conversationally (I remember how to do that), then bumped the angle to 5 degrees.

That caused a whisper to include a whisper in a horizontal line from the sternum about 4" to the right.  Hey, I could've not written the last sentence! silent  I thought I had recorded it on my Polar, but I guess not, as it didn't upload.

It stopped, when I stopped.  Hmmm, looks like I'll be getting some new hardware, this month.  Prior to Frdiay, I was sort of thinking that I'd get the stent the same day as the nuke, but I don't think that's the idea, when I read the instructions for the nuke.  It's a 3-4 hour event with lots of water drinking and waiting, etc.  So short of a collapse, he'll want to do the hardware on his regular surgery day.

After being off until this morning, I went to lift, which went fine.  Three days off helped the core, but not the new bicep routine.  I'll keep plugging away at it.  Tomorrow will be the treadmill.

Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next