365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound Empty Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:58 pm

Well, I am sure you all assumed that since I didn't get to swim in Louisville, that I'd give that full Ironman another go.  After all, I was told I couldn't get the tattoo until I actually completed all 3 disciplines.  Sooooooo - I registered for IM Chattanooga on September 27th - and hopefully, we will swim.  I ended up choosing IMChoo because of its proximity to Atlanta and the fact that I know I'm not a strong enough swimmer to join the club at IM FL. I also really loved the Im 70.3 Chatt bike course - and this is just two loops of that.  Of course, the bike is actually longer than the standard distance - so if we do swim, I'll have completed 144.6 miles!  The run is "hilly" by IM standards but I don't think that will be the issue as opposed to the heat.  It could be very warm at Chatt on September 27th - but I know I can train for the heat.  It really is about dialing in nutrition on the bike - and I know that I can train for that, even in NY state.

Of course, on the way, I still have Boston in April.  It's funny to me that the date for Boston this year is April 20th or 4/20 as that was my IM Lou bib number.  Maybe that is a good omen.  I have a bit of a niggle in my left glute/hammie that has bothered me a little bit; however, I ran a strong 5K to start the year on January 1st in the same time as last year when I felt that I was a bit farther ahead.  Maybe there is some hope for me yet.

I'll try to remember to post more - but I do indeed read often.  And doug, my coach, Sara, is running Houston.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound Empty Re: Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound

Post  ounce Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:48 pm

I'm not going to ask where you're going to put the tattoo.  Question 

For Boston, here's another numerology thing....it's on 4/20/2020.

I guess I'll break out the wine buoys for your lake training again.  In Chatta, you ought to take time to go up the Incline Railway to Lookout Mountain.  Then walk to Point Park and marvel at the view and your swim location (I think).  The park's free.  The railway is not.

I hope Sara has a good race and we have good weather.  What corral is she in (or the letter on her bib)?  I'm in the very, very back.  If she needs some help or something while in town, let me know.

And you better post more or I'll send Mark to hound you....that is, if he shows back up of course.

Happy New Year, Miche1e.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound Empty Re: Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm

I was pretty sure you'd sign up for another IM...just wasn't sure which one.  You'll do fine in the heat and on the hills.  Everyone else has to deal with them too and you've got the skills to train for and tackle them as well as anyone.

Enjoy prepping for Boston and training for your IM.  I'm sure you'll have a fun and successful year!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:10 pm

Not sure what corral she is in - I'll check with her.  And I'll let her know if she needs anything - but I'm thinking she is very familiar with the area and my have friends there as she has done IM Texas which is in the Woodlands.  She also works for Coke and has been there for work too.

I have done Lookout Mtn and other Chatt sites - remember, I've lived here in Atlanta (on and off) more than anywhere else and I moved here in 1990.  Back in the day, Chatt had the only aquarium (we have one in the ATL now), so I went there often when Shannon was little.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Not sure what corral she is in - I'll check with her.  And I'll let her know if she needs anything - but I'm thinking she is very familiar with the area and my have friends there as she has done IM Texas which is in the Woodlands.  She also works for Coke and has been there for work too.

I have done Lookout Mtn and other Chatt sites - remember, I've lived here in Atlanta (on and off) more than anywhere else and I moved here in 1990.  Back in the day, Chatt had the only aquarium (we have one in the ATL now), so I went there often when Shannon was little.
Yeah, but I didn't think Chattanooga was a draw for Atlanta residents, even though it's only 2 hours away.

Sara was here, last year, if I remember correctly.

A freeway interchange has been closed indefinitely, beginning a few months ago.  It only is pertinent if she's coming to downtown from the Katy Freeway or 45 North.  It's the ramp from I-10 East to 59 South that is closed.  That's my bread 'n butter interchange for accessing the marathon.  I'll be making up a new way to get there, this year, which really isn't all that difficult for me since I've lived here since '64.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Obviously, I'm not doing a very good job keeping this up. I've been weirdly work busy these last couple of weeks - maybe everyone has decided that the new year is here, so let's get the projects rolling.  Yes, I have been running, swimming, and biking, and it finally seems as if my running is beginning to turn the corner.  I struggled a lot with pace at the beginning of the month but the last few days my runs have been much better.   

Basically, yesterday leaves me with exactly 12 weeks until April 20th and Boston.  Once again as you all know, I am running Boston, and I love this part of the training cycle. Despite the challenging weather (it has been raining a crap load – and it has been warm and humid and then cold and wet), I love seeing my weekly mileage increase.  I can feel that my aerobic engine is beginning to heat up and I’m getting that feeling back of efficiency and my pace has increased with lower HRs.  I'm trying hard not to get carried away as I'm beginning to feel like a runner.  I'm constantly reminding myself that each run has a purpose and to keep that purpose in mind.  

February is just around the corner, and some of you might remember Melissa from Hal's boards and Taper Madness.  She has taken a new job in Nashville and is leaving the Tampa area after 15 or so years.  Well the company she joined is sending her for training here in Atlanta - basically just 4 miles from where I live so she'll be spending some time with me.  It will be good to see her in person since I think the last time we spend anytime together was wen Judy Denver ran her 50th marathon back in 2013? or 2014, so it has been a few years.  Kind of exciting.  I might even have to plan a bit of a mini V-team, Taper Madness reunion as Doug Branscombe lives here now and Alan Ford has always been here in the ATL.

And the end of the month, Atlanta is also hosting the Olympic Marathon Trials - so we (the Atlanta Track Club) are really busy with all those plans.  I'm working the Women's Personal Hydration Table (sound familiar Doug?) and I'm really looking forward to it again.  It's going to be a challenge though as there are 497 women registered and just over 200 men.  That is oodles above any past trials.  Hopefully, we can pull this off.

And for now - I'm off.....
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 am

Yeah, it's been a roller coaster winter weather. We've hit 80 a couple of times, followed the next day by 60s, after a rain band. Some trees are already budding, about 10 days early.

A 1L getting into her running groove is a sight for sore eyes. Now, you need to be consistent on reporting it. Not posting about injuries would imply there are none?

Ah, the 2012 Trials. Yeah, that was a fun time with you and Kevin. Y'all will be able to pull it off. Didn't you work the Trials in LA, too?

I hope the rest of your 12 weeks keeps you in a really nice groove.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:11 am

Good to hear from you Michele.  Sounds like training is going well.  I'm sure it's nice to concentrate on running and not worry as much about biking and swimming.  Triathlon training can become overwhelming so more running would seem like a nice break.  

Happy running...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Betting that there will be no marathon, this year.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am

I think Doug may be right, but I hope not!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:01 pm

10,000+ runners with depressed auto immune systems and the rest susceptible with no hospital to put them all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:46 pm

Whup. Moved to September. Sorry, Michele! Can you make that work?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:13 pm

I applaud them for making a decision sooner rather than later.  Not a lot of good options.  September may not be good for everyone but can you imagine the issues if they cancelled and everyone wanted a spot in the race next year...as well as the new qualifiers.  

This all seems pretty important right now...it might not seem so important in a few days...weeks...months...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Yes, I am hoping to make September work as I has already transferred my IM to Florida which is supposed to take place in November.  We, Shannon and I, have been pretty much house bound since March 10th when a case of COVID-19 was discovered in a school employee in the county where Shannon teaches.  We have gone out to walk the dog (and in the local park before they closed down access) and I had been riding my bike outside alone (which I do anyway 95% of the time) until they closed down all the parking lots that access the bike trails cause idjits were out there in large groups (families are not usually comprised of 4+ adults and 4+ children).  I can't ride that much outside now cause it really isn't safe to ride on the local roads.  The governor has yet to shut down everything and there is still remarkably a lot of car traffic.  i can probably venture out on the weekend if it is early enough and ride locally - or at least I hope so.

I am not running right now as I had a bad fall on the 12th of March where I injured my left calf, bruised my right hip, and strained my right pectoral muscle.  Probably good that it happened right as they began to "postpone" or "cancel" pretty much everything race-wise, so it is giving me a lot of time to heal up.  I was able to see my chiro/ART guy 2x before he shutdown (and rightfully so) and he told me not to run until April 1.  So I'm following that protocol.  I have been doing a lot of workouts in my basement and I'm tempted to buy one of those inexpensive (less than $500) treadmills for the time being.

It is hard to believe that the Olympic Marathon trials occurred here in Atlanta on February 29th!  It seems so long ago and then again, it seems like just yesterday.   It was just an incredibly awesome weekend and my heart goes out to the athletes as now their day in the sun has been "postponed" too.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm

My, my, we're all getting banged up on this board. I guess you fell off the bike?

Might get to enjoy the late Spring humidity that Atlanta offers, until the virus allows driving up north again.

Enjoy the healing process.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 am

ounce wrote:My, my, we're all getting banged up on this board.  I guess you fell off the bike?

Might get to enjoy the late Spring humidity that Atlanta offers, until the virus allows driving up north again.

Enjoy the healing process.
Yup - you guessed it!  Hit a crack/groove in the road and bike slid out from under me.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:35 am

Great to hear from you Michele.  Glad to hear that you're relatively well.  Recovering from a training injury is a much better option than the virus!

Biking makes me nervous under the best of circumstances.  It's to bad that your best training options are no longer available.  Rest up, recover well and be ready when your run/bike/swim training opportunities are available again.

It will be interesting to see when races start to be available again.  And then the question is...will this return next fall/winter?

Take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Ouch! I hope the injuries aren't serious and the bike is okay. The race delays are definitely in your favor right now.

Those olympic marathon trials feel like they were years ago now, don't they? What a month.

Heal fast and stay healthy!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:34 pm

One benefit of using my garmin watch again is that I get to see what 1L has been doing.

And she's been doing!

She walks, she runs (9:30 or so pace), and she even can ride a bicycle!  Fancy that.  A bicycle.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat May 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks, Doug for spying on me - it's good that you know I'm busy.   As Doug said, I've been walking, running, and cycling a good amount during these weeks.  I already work from home, so nothing changed there, but my daughter is here with me since school is of course on line (she is a high school math teacher) and her roommate is a nurse.  Her roommie "kicked" her out so to speak which was/is best.   "Shelter in Place" has been lifted here in GA and I can actually get my nails done, get a haircut, eat in at a restaurant (if they allow) and go bowling.  Many gyms are re-opening on Monday, but just for cardio and weights  - no pools, no locker rooms.  I think I can stay away for a few more weeks.  Shannon and I have been walking at least a 5K 4-5 days per week as she has wanted to get back in shape.  She even roade 12.5 mile this morning when I ran my 10 miler.

We are still going up to western NY, but the assembly will not be the same this week as all in-person programming has been cancelled for this season.  As property owners, we have our house, of course, and we can certainly walk, run, bike around the grounds and access the lake.  Not sure if "beaches" will be officially open although if NY state lifts some of their edicts, then they will hire life guards and open the beach areas.  This is good as it is tough to get in a lake swim if you have to enter the water from the boat docks (boaters are not that cognizant of swimmers - almost worse or at least equal to drivers with respect to cyclists).  I'm guessing that the local tri club will swim at their lake, and I can join them.  Without the beach area, I need to find a "buddy" to swim and that can be a challenge as well.  I'm also guessing that the pool will not be open as they are even saying they won't open public pools here in GA this summer.  That will be tough going for families with kids cause it gets pretty hot down here.

As far as races go, I'd say the "new" Boston date is probably 50/50 at this time.  Honestly, I doubt it will happen especially since the Mayor of Boston announced yesterday that the city will be pretty locked down until and through Labor Day.  The rescheduled Boston date is just a week after Labor Day.  I also expect that my half IM (in western NY) in July and my full IM later (in November even if it's Florida since I switched from Chatt when they changed the Boston date) may not happen either.  I know that we cannot be cooped up and shutdown forever, but I also don't see these races able to figure out what will be thought of as "acceptable" physical distancing that quickly.

I read something yesterday about a "flu" pandemic that actually occurred in the US in 1968-1970.  Over 100K Americans died (mostly over 50) (our population was then 2.6 Billion and now it is 3.2 billion) and basically it was handled with "herd" immunity tactics.  I was too young to notice and my Mom said she barely remembers this, but who knows and I guess time will tell here.  Sweden is practicing "herd" immunity so that will also be telling.  Obviously a great deal of other things were happening in the late 1960s including Woodstock - so there is that.   

In the meantime, stay safe and stay healthy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Thanks for dropping in Michele.  It's nice to hear that you're well.

It will be interesting to see how things go moving forward.  Like you, I'm wondering when/if life will get back to normal.  I'm betting that is will...well maybe hoping is a better word.  I'm looking for a half this fall.  I need a goal.  And I just booked tickets to go to Australia in November/December.  I was able to get fully refundable tickets using our Alaska Air miles.  What do I have to lose...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 29, 2020 8:37 am

Well looks like the decision is made.  Boston 2020 will be a virtual race.  Will you run it or just skip it?  I wonder how they'll treat it for people who are working on a streak...  And it will be interesting to see how registration for 2021 goes.

Any news on your other events?

Our pool still isn't open.  The shift cable on my bike broke and it took three weeks to get an appointment to get it repaired.  As a result I've been running more days per week than ever before.  And more miles than I've ever run when I wasn't specifically marathon training.  Cumulative fatigue is setting in...

Take care and stay well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 am

TMZ reported that 1L ran 6.35 miles at marathon pace (9:28/min pace) up in New York state at the same HR avg as I ran 7 at a 15:17 pace, today.

6.35 miles, 1:00:05, 9:28 pace, 126 avg bpm, 147 max bpm, 168 cadence, 1.01 m avg stride length

Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound W8jMZF00zHwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Oops I Did It Again - 2020 - Boston & Chattanooga Bound MV4OA7KQAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Hey, Miche1e.
Ever been to Portage Pie? Saw it on a PBS show about pie places in the US.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:03 pm

ounce wrote:Hey, Miche1e.
Ever been to Portage Pie?  Saw it on a PBS show about pie places in the US.
 Yes!!!!  Their pies are excellent (my daughter's are better but she doesn't bake in bulk) and we re-sell them to raise monies every year.  They were closed for 3 months and are just getting back up to capacity which was awesome so I could get my much anticipated strawberry-rhubarb.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next