365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

5 posters

Page 25 of 28 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 25 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Mark B wrote:(from Tuesday)

River Walk West: 3.4 miles in about an hour. Average HR 105

Oh boy, was I feeling yesterday's high-intensity playing Tuesday morning. And it wasn't the nice, boy-it-feels-good-to-work-the-muscles soreness, either. I went out for a walk anyway, though. The first few hundred yards were a little uncomfortable, but I loosened up as I warmed up. I didn't push the pace, though I did still go for a full hour. 

Later in the evening, the niggles blossomed and I decided to take Wednesday as an unscheduled rest day. I've gone off caffeine (doctor's orders), so I kind of needed the extra sleep, anyway. So very drowsy.  Sleep

Mark B wrote:Historic Site Walk: 3.14 miles in about 60 minutes. Average HR 103

I almost didn't walk this morning. I'd skipped it yesterday to get more sleep (I've given up caffeine temporarily and detoxing is not much fun) and because of some tendonitis in my lower left leg. I must have overdone it on Monday. It was probably the running, but I'll blame the recumbent bicycle. 

Anyway, I was planning to go back to bed, but instead, I took Alita's suggestion and drove her car to work and then walked home from there. I normally drop her off and she walks home in the afternoon, but it's going to be hot and she needs to start taking stuff home for the end of the school year. It was her suggestion, and it was a good one.

I decided to not head straight back home but instead walk through the Fort Vancouver National Site, going through the old Vancouver Barracks area, down to the Fort Vancouver replica and then over the Confluence Project Land Bridge over the highway to the river, then back home. I took it very easy and did not try to push it. I didn' have any notable issues, which was good. A little sore now, but we'll see how it goes.
Isn't it funny how we all know that we need to ramp up cautiously and not over do it and yet we still do!  Good to hear that you took Alita's advice and went for a walk today.  Active recovery is a good thing.  Hope you continue to feel better.

Not liking the weather this year.  Cold, hot, cold, hot, humid...how are we supposed to acclimate?  Glad you let Alita have the car this afternoon.  

I'm running the Grateful Dad 5K on the Marine Drive bike path on Saturday.  If you and Alita are out walking between 8 and 9 give me a friendly wave across the river.  I may be struggling in the heat and need the encouragement.

Have a great weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:04 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:(from Tuesday)

River Walk West: 3.4 miles in about an hour. Average HR 105

Oh boy, was I feeling yesterday's high-intensity playing Tuesday morning. And it wasn't the nice, boy-it-feels-good-to-work-the-muscles soreness, either. I went out for a walk anyway, though. The first few hundred yards were a little uncomfortable, but I loosened up as I warmed up. I didn't push the pace, though I did still go for a full hour. 

Later in the evening, the niggles blossomed and I decided to take Wednesday as an unscheduled rest day. I've gone off caffeine (doctor's orders), so I kind of needed the extra sleep, anyway. So very drowsy.  Sleep

Mark B wrote:Historic Site Walk: 3.14 miles in about 60 minutes. Average HR 103

I almost didn't walk this morning. I'd skipped it yesterday to get more sleep (I've given up caffeine temporarily and detoxing is not much fun) and because of some tendonitis in my lower left leg. I must have overdone it on Monday. It was probably the running, but I'll blame the recumbent bicycle. 

Anyway, I was planning to go back to bed, but instead, I took Alita's suggestion and drove her car to work and then walked home from there. I normally drop her off and she walks home in the afternoon, but it's going to be hot and she needs to start taking stuff home for the end of the school year. It was her suggestion, and it was a good one.

I decided to not head straight back home but instead walk through the Fort Vancouver National Site, going through the old Vancouver Barracks area, down to the Fort Vancouver replica and then over the Confluence Project Land Bridge over the highway to the river, then back home. I took it very easy and did not try to push it. I didn' have any notable issues, which was good. A little sore now, but we'll see how it goes.
Isn't it funny how we all know that we need to ramp up cautiously and not over do it and yet we still do!  Good to hear that you took Alita's advice and went for a walk today.  Active recovery is a good thing.  Hope you continue to feel better.

Not liking the weather this year.  Cold, hot, cold, hot, humid...how are we supposed to acclimate?  Glad you let Alita have the car this afternoon.  

I'm running the Grateful Dad 5K on the Marine Drive bike path on Saturday.  If you and Alita are out walking between 8 and 9 give me a friendly wave across the river.  I may be struggling in the heat and need the encouragement.

Have a great weekend.

Have a great race! 

(BTW, we have TWO cars, so Alita has one, too. It's just that, since she wanted to walk home but not necessarily walk TO work, I drove her.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Fort to River Walk: 3.48 miles in about an hour. Average HR 106

Dropped off Alita (and her car) at school this morning and walked back on pretty much the same route as yesterday, reveling in the big old trees and the historic buildings in the Fort Vancouver National Site before crossing over to the river. I imagine there's a decent chance I passed by areas where my great-great grandfather spent some time back in the mid-1800s. It's a nice feeling.

My leg is a little better, and the walk didn't seem to make it worse, so that's good. I'd like to say the lower HR was due to improved fitness, but I think it was more because a part of the route goes downhill. 

I'll rest this week and see how next week goes. Alita's done with school, so we can do walks together. We just will need to work out our new morning routine, which hopefully will not involve getting up at 5:15.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:26 pm

River Walk East with Alita: 3.28 miles in about an hour. Average HR 101

Alita's on summer break, so we are starting what we hope will be a tradition of morning walks. This time, we went out to the east, on a path that goes through a nice city park with very tall trees, riparian woodlands and out into the shore of the Columbia River. It's very peaceful out there, with lots of birdsong and dozens of bunnies of all sizes, which is always fun. 

I wore my Luna sandals, since it's already warm and because I have a swollen sore spot on the top of one of my feet that I think might be a cyst? It's right under the shoelace area, which is kind of annoying. The sandals don't touch that area, which is good, but I discovered that my feet have softened up through lack of use, so I ended up with a couple of hot spots. Also, I think I'm pushing off when I shouldn't. I'll figure it out.

It was a good walk, and the company was nice.  I love you

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:14 pm

Fort Loop Walk with Alita: 3.06 miles in about an hour. Average HR 102

Out on a different route this morning, and we mixed it up a bit, crossing over from the river and over the land bridge to the replica of Fort Vancouver and then looping back around through the national site back to our place. It worked out to be just about the right length of time and distance. Nice to have another route!

I did end up developing blisters behind my little toes wearing sandals yesterday, so I switched back to shoes until I heal. I reworked the lacing on my left shoe to remove pressure on that new lump, and it worked out well. Woot! 

Tomorrow is an open question. I have an eye doctor's appointment before work, so we'll either do a shorter walk or just take a rest day.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 pm

Sounds like you and Alita are starting a nice summer routine.  Any chance Alec might join you or is he still snoring when you head out?

Hope you're ready for the heat wave...I'm not!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:Sounds like you and Alita are starting a nice summer routine.  Any chance Alec might join you or is he still snoring when you head out?

This heat wave reminds me of my time in Northern California when I was a cub reporter. It got up above 100 routinely every summer. I know it'll be nasty, but a weird part of me will enjoy the trip down memory lane. Still, any strenuous activity will be away from the heat of the day. I'm crazy, but I ain't stupid.

Skipping a couple of days this week due to morning appointments (grr), which will give my blisters a chance to heal up and some weird tightness on the side of my lower leg to settle down. Got to figure out what I'm doing differently that's causing the problem.  scratch

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:27 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Sounds like you and Alita are starting a nice summer routine.  Any chance Alec might join you or is he still snoring when you head out?

This heat wave reminds me of my time in Northern California when I was a cub reporter. It got up above 100 routinely every summer. I know it'll be nasty, but a weird part of me will enjoy the trip down memory lane. Still, any strenuous activity will be away from the heat of the day. I'm crazy, but I ain't stupid.

Skipping a couple of days this week due to morning appointments (grr), which will give my blisters a chance to heal up and some weird tightness on the side of my lower leg to settle down. Got to figure out what I'm doing differently that's causing the problem.  scratch
Hope you're able to get your walking in early before it warms up to much.  Even the mornings will be warm but not dangerously hot.

We remember 100 degree days from the past here in Madras.  But not the highs predicted for the next few days and not this many days in a row.  Fortunately we added AC when we remodeled the house in 2009.  We haven't had much hot weather since then.  I never tolerated the heat very well and as I get older I struggle even more so I'm glad I have a comfortable place to recover after I get my farm work done.

You know the cause of the blisters so that's easy to fix once they heal.  Are you thinking that the lower leg tightness is the result of your foray on the treadmill or is it as yet unexplained?

Stay safe...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:02 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hope you're able to get your walking in early before it warms up to much.  Even the mornings will be warm but not dangerously hot.

We remember 100 degree days from the past here in Madras.  But not the highs predicted for the next few days and not this many days in a row.  Fortunately we added AC when we remodeled the house in 2009.  We haven't had much hot weather since then.  I never tolerated the heat very well and as I get older I struggle even more so I'm glad I have a comfortable place to recover after I get my farm work done.

You know the cause of the blisters so that's easy to fix once they heal.  Are you thinking that the lower leg tightness is the result of your foray on the treadmill or is it as yet unexplained?

Stay safe...

Early is good, but you know what's better? The beach! We'll be spending a couple of days at the beach early next week. Well timed, given the heat. 

Not sure about the lower leg issue. I hadn't had any issues before the TM and evil recumbent bike, so it's the likely suspect.

Stay cool!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:05 pm

River Walk West: 3.06 miles in about an hour. Average HR 109

Alita is healing a blister on her big toe joint (tragic sandal mishap), so she stayed home to heal up for our trip to the coast.

I wore my sandals again to get the pads of my feet toughened up a bit now that my blisters/hot spots have abated. It worked well, and I even slipped the sandals off at one point to do a short (~50-100 meters) barefoot scamper just to remind my body how to move - and to dry the sweat off my feet. Even at 7 a.m., it was warm out!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:31 pm

Recumbent Rematch: 30 minutes (about 7.8 miles) on stationary bike. Average HR 120; Max HR 154

It's Day 1 of the Great Pacific Northwest Heatwave of 2021, and it was already getting hot (it's cracked 100 as I type this), so I persuaded the rest of the household to go play in our air conditioned exercise room. I played around with the weight machines a little (press, curls) but decided I needed to try out the recumbent bike again and see if I could figure out how to use it properly.

In a nutshell, it went much better this time. I got better situated on the bike and started off easy, gradually warming up and then increasing the resistance as time went by until about 25 minutes in, then I cooled down. It was modeled after what Maffetone suggests, but it wasn't a purely low HR affair - I got my HR up to 154 before starting my cool down. It was a good experience, and I think I've got a better attitude about the bike now.

For her part, Alita did the TM for the whole time, walking and jogging a bit. Alec played around with the weights and learned what we used to call the "burnout" lifting workout when I was in high school. Start at your top weight, do X number of reps. Then move the weight machine one level lower, then repeat. Continue until you're at the lightest weight, which feels like lifting an elephant at the end. He had weightlifting classes in school, but they never gave anyone any guidance. He seemed to enjoy the challenge, and he was marveling at how noodly it made his arms afterward.

Weight: 194 
Down a couple of pounds from a few weeks ago and nine pounds from the doctor's office a couple of months ago. It's been a slow process, but hopefully it'll continue.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Mark B wrote:Recumbent Rematch: 30 minutes (about 7.8 miles) on stationary bike. Average HR 120; Max HR 154

It's Day 1 of the Great Pacific Northwest Heatwave of 2021, and it was already getting hot (it's cracked 100 as I type this), so I persuaded the rest of the household to go play in our air conditioned exercise room. I played around with the weight machines a little (press, curls) but decided I needed to try out the recumbent bike again and see if I could figure out how to use it properly.

In a nutshell, it went much better this time. I got better situated on the bike and started off easy, gradually warming up and then increasing the resistance as time went by until about 25 minutes in, then I cooled down. It was modeled after what Maffetone suggests, but it wasn't a purely low HR affair - I got my HR up to 154 before starting my cool down. It was a good experience, and I think I've got a better attitude about the bike now.

For her part, Alita did the TM for the whole time, walking and jogging a bit. Alec played around with the weights and learned what we used to call the "burnout" lifting workout when I was in high school. Start at your top weight, do X number of reps. Then move the weight machine one level lower, then repeat. Continue until you're at the lightest weight, which feels like lifting an elephant at the end. He had weightlifting classes in school, but they never gave anyone any guidance. He seemed to enjoy the challenge, and he was marveling at how noodly it made his arms afterward.

Weight: 194 
Down a couple of pounds from a few weeks ago and nine pounds from the doctor's office a couple of months ago. It's been a slow process, but hopefully it'll continue.
Family time in the air conditioned exercise room...perfect.

Good to hear that you're back on speaking terms with the bike.   Very Happy  And congrats on the weight loss.

Hope you enjoy your time at the beach.  And also hope that this heat wave tapers off sooner rather than later.

Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:47 am

Better get a recap in before I forget again.

Monday: Beach walk with Alita and Alec: 3.14 miles in about an hour. Average HR 92. This was a nice long walk on a sandy beach, barefoot. It was only about 60 outside, so it felt delicious, as did the cold ocean water on the feet. 

Tuesday: Trail walk with Alita and Alec: 1.71 miles in about a half hour. Average HR 97. Walked along a trail above a rocky shore before heading home.

Sunday: Forest hike with Alita and Alec: 2.41 miles in about 45 minutes. Average HR 104. Back to the woods on the Fourth of July. 

--

I haven't been able to exercise since July 4, since I managed to get the toenail on my pinky toe smashed at the grocery store. Suffice it to say that shopping cart wheels and little toes in sandals don't mix. (Puree, maybe, but definitely not mix.) The tip of my toe is a black, blue, and bloody mess. It's not very painful, and I don't think anything is broken, but the wound is still oozing blood. I'll spare you the photo.  Shocked

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Mark B wrote:Better get a recap in before I forget again.

Monday: Beach walk with Alita and Alec: 3.14 miles in about an hour. Average HR 92. This was a nice long walk on a sandy beach, barefoot. It was only about 60 outside, so it felt delicious, as did the cold ocean water on the feet. 

Tuesday: Trail walk with Alita and Alec: 1.71 miles in about a half hour. Average HR 97. Walked along a trail above a rocky shore before heading home.

Sunday: Forest hike with Alita and Alec: 2.41 miles in about 45 minutes. Average HR 104. Back to the woods on the Fourth of July. 

--

I haven't been able to exercise since July 4, since I managed to get the toenail on my pinky toe smashed at the grocery store. Suffice it to say that shopping cart wheels and little toes in sandals don't mix. (Puree, maybe, but definitely not mix.) The tip of my toe is a black, blue, and bloody mess. It's not very painful, and I don't think anything is broken, but the wound is still oozing blood. I'll spare you the photo.  Shocked
Why am I not surprised to hear that you're nursing an injury with an "interesting" cause...ie not running related.   Laughing

Family walks sound lovely!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Toe update: It's clear that the toe isn't broken, and it finally stopped seeping blood after about three days, so that's good.

The video doctor I saw thinks the nail will come off eventually, which is possible. We'll see.

I haven't been able to really do any walking or working out this week due to the injury, but as it heals, I'm eager to get back to it.

On another note, Alec got hired as an RA at a dorm at his college. He'd tried earlier but ended up in a pool of qualified candidates without a spot, and we'd given up hope that it'd happen. It's a great thing for him - it provides all sorts of training and experience that should help him in many areas - and great for us, since his compensation is free room and food for the entire school year. That'll save us a LOT. Woot!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:50 pm

Mark B wrote:Toe update: It's clear that the toe isn't broken, and it finally stopped seeping blood after about three days, so that's good.

The video doctor I saw thinks the nail will come off eventually, which is possible. We'll see.

I haven't been able to really do any walking or working out this week due to the injury, but as it heals, I'm eager to get back to it.

On another note, Alec got hired as an RA at a dorm at his college. He'd tried earlier but ended up in a pool of qualified candidates without a spot, and we'd given up hope that it'd happen. It's a great thing for him - it provides all sorts of training and experience that should help him in many areas - and great for us, since his compensation is free room and food for the entire school year. That'll save us a LOT. Woot!
Good news all around...toe not broken & free room and board.  Woohoo!  Don't celebrate to vigorously!  You have nine other toes that are available for injury.   What a Face

Congrats to Alec.

Hope the toe is continuing to improve.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:20 pm

The toe has progressed to the point to where I can get back out and walk again. Woot!  cheers cheers cheers

Monday: River Walk, 2.51 miles in about 45 minutes. Average HR 103. Took it easy, wearing sandals, making sure the toe was OK. It was.

Tuesday: River Walk, 2.44 miles in about 43 minutes with Alita. Average HR 100. Still taking it easy, but nice to get out.

It's about 59 degrees at walking time right now, which is just about the lower limit of walking in shorts and a T shirt. We often have a breeze coming up river, so it's chilly walking into it but OK heading back. It'd be GREAT running conditions, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:20 pm

My walks this week got derailed by early morning appointments and just being tired. I'll get back to it next week.

One upside. My weight is now 192.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:36 pm

Mark B wrote:My walks this week got derailed by early morning appointments and just being tired. I'll get back to it next week.

One upside. My weight is now 192.

Good to hear that you're making progress on the weight. Smile  I sometimes have to remind myself that the goal of this journey is not necessarily a PR race but a healthy lifestyle.

Looking forward to seeing your walks on Strava next week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:02 am

Zoo Review: 2.14 miles casual walking

We've only got a couple of weeks left before sending Alec off to college again, so we decided to make a trip to the Oregon Zoo. The Zoo was fine, and the walking was good, too, though I discovered that my pinky toe gets unhappy in my running shoes, which have a slightly tighter toebox than my work shoes and my sandals (obviously). Hm. Maybe I did some damage to the tip, after all? Afterward, I had some creaky tendinitis in my ankle on the other side, which is annoying.

I rested it Monday and decided to try it again this morning. My toe really disliked the shoes, and my opposite ankle was creaky as soon as I walked out the door, so I popped a U-turn and headed back. Guess I need more recovery time.

Edit to add: I decided to try a little walk at lunchtime, remember how a PT in the past has said that tendinitis can actually get better if you exercise it, and it seemed true. I walked about 1.5 miles or so in just over a half hour and very much enjoyed not being in the office for a bit, the the AC blows so cold my fingers get stiff.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Mark B wrote:Zoo Review: 2.14 miles casual walking

We've only got a couple of weeks left before sending Alec off to college again, so we decided to make a trip to the Oregon Zoo. The Zoo was fine, and the walking was good, too, though I discovered that my pinky toe gets unhappy in my running shoes, which have a slightly tighter toebox than my work shoes and my sandals (obviously). Hm. Maybe I did some damage to the tip, after all? Afterward, I had some creaky tendinitis in my ankle on the other side, which is annoying.

I rested it Monday and decided to try it again this morning. My toe really disliked the shoes, and my opposite ankle was creaky as soon as I walked out the door, so I popped a U-turn and headed back. Guess I need more recovery time.

Edit to add: I decided to try a little walk at lunchtime, remember how a PT in the past has said that tendinitis can actually get better if you exercise it, and it seemed true. I walked about 1.5 miles or so in just over a half hour and very much enjoyed not being in the office for a bit, the the AC blows so cold my fingers get stiff.
Had to smile when I saw your zoo walk on Strava.  Even at my age I enjoy the zoo.  Very Happy

Hope the toe and ankle are both feeling better.  I agree that a bit of activity often aids in recovery.  I'm learning the value of warming up, the mobility drills that coach Melissa recommends before hard workouts, and also cooling down.  

Warm weekend here and then a couple cooler days before the next heat dome settles in.  Glad that temperatures aren't predicted to be as high as the July heat event.

Take care.  Stay safe in the heat.  Enjoy your last few days with Alec before he returns to school.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:04 pm

I hope sending Alec back off to college goes well.

Do you wear the same size running shoes as day to day shoes? My running friends were just talking to me about sizing up running shoes. I never even thought about that (conversation came up while talking about another toenail removal). 

Zoos are fun. We had a fun family evening at the zoo that my workplace sponsored a few weeks ago. Sponsored so all the extras (pony rides, feeding giraffes etc) were paid for by the hospital, so that was extra fun.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:05 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Zoo Review: 2.14 miles casual walking

Had to smile when I saw your zoo walk on Strava.  Even at my age I enjoy the zoo.  Very Happy

Hope the toe and ankle are both feeling better.  I agree that a bit of activity often aids in recovery.  I'm learning the value of warming up, the mobility drills that coach Melissa recommends before hard workouts, and also cooling down.  

Warm weekend here and then a couple cooler days before the next heat dome settles in.  Glad that temperatures aren't predicted to be as high as the July heat event.

Take care.  Stay safe in the heat.  Enjoy your last few days with Alec before he returns to school.

We're counting the days now before we hit the road. We're going on a short trip this weekend to give Alec his national park fix for the year (compensation for losing the Grand Canyon), then we'll be turning and heading east to WSU. I think we're all looking forward to this next stage of his college experience.

Glad it's "only" going to reach the low 90s. 

Julie wrote:I hope sending Alec back off to college goes well.

Do you wear the same size running shoes as day to day shoes? My running friends were just talking to me about sizing up running shoes. I never even thought about that (conversation came up while talking about another toenail removal). 

Zoos are fun. We had a fun family evening at the zoo that my workplace sponsored a few weeks ago. Sponsored so all the extras (pony rides, feeding giraffes etc) were paid for by the hospital, so that was extra fun.

Hi Julie! I'm sure back to school will be as smooth as we can manage. It's different this time, since he's going to immediately start RA training. 

I've found that shoe sizes are so erratic -- and my foot shape is so weird -- that there's never been any real correlation between my measured foot size, my "dress" shoe size, my "running" shoe size and my "trail" shoe size. My size measures about 9, but I wear a 10, but I do better at 10.5 and have had trail shoes as big as 11.5s. Like I said, sizing makes no sense. 

The best advice I heard was from Phil Maffetone, who suggested trying on successively larger sizes until you get one that's obviously too big, then go back to the previous size. That might help protect your toenails. I haven't had that problem, but I have had my big toenail blow a hole in my toebox more than a few times over the years.

Zoos are fun. We went mid-afternoon, so many of the animals were asleep, but at least they tended to snooze where we could see them, at least.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:15 pm

River Walk: 3.42 miles in about an hour. Average HR 112

I was able to get out this morning and take an hourlong walk along the river. It felt good to get out; we had a ridiculously newsy weekend that meant I didn't get much of a break. So this felt a bit like a getaway. My pinky toe didn't object to the running shoes and my creaky ankle wasn't creaking, so it was good. 

View wasn't too shabby, either.

Trails for Two - Page 25 River10

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Tuesday: 
Rest, trying to not overdo it, since I seem to gain a few niggles when I try to walk every day right now.

Wednesday: 
Fort Loop Walk: 3.22 miles in about an hour. Average HR 116. 
One benefit of alternating days is that I tend to do the walking days at a greater effort level. 

Thursday: 
Weights! 
Yup. I actually lifted heavy things at our condo's exercise room, including:

-Dumbbell bench press, 20 pounds each side, three sets of 15.
-Dumbbell curls, 15 pounds each side, three sets of 10.
-One armed rowing, 15 pounds each side, two or three sets of 10? Can't remember.

After that I went to the machines and did:
Two varieties of lat pulls (pulling down behind shoulders, and pulling directly in) 50 pounds, three sets of 10?
Tricep press up: 20 pounds, three sets of 10.
Leg extensions: 50 pounds, three sets of 15
Hamstring curls: 40 pounds, three sets of 15, I think.

It's funny: My arms were in shock as I did this, and they were very noodly afterward. My legs? They were going, "Oh, okay. Cool. Let's do this! About time you ask us to do something interesting" and were totally fine afterward. Surprisingly unsurprising. 

I also used a yoga ball to do a few prone hamstring curls/bridging.

I had a hard time lifting my arms afterward, which was pretty funny, if somewhat inconvenient while brushing my teeth.  Very Happy

It took about 35 minutes, and I definitely got my heart rate up for this. I think I want to keep at it, though the last thing I want to do is add bulk. Additional strength and toning, sure. It'll probably be good for my knees, too.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 28 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next