365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes, I Must Be Cray-Cray or the Trip to IM Lou

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Yes, I Must Be Cray-Cray or the Trip to IM Lou - Page 3 Empty Re: Yes, I Must Be Cray-Cray or the Trip to IM Lou

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:07 am

Woot! Way to go, Michele! What an amazing accomplishment. I'm in awe!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Yes, I Must Be Cray-Cray or the Trip to IM Lou - Page 3 Empty Re: Yes, I Must Be Cray-Cray or the Trip to IM Lou

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:45 am

Mark B wrote:Woot! Way to go, Michele! What an amazing accomplishment. I'm in awe!
Yes, it is pretty impressive isn't it!  

I was able to find Michele's results this morning...we didn't get back into cell service till late last night.  Her AG placing was 16/43.  I was curious how her Atlanta team did but wasn't able to figure that out.

The question for Michele is...now what.  Will she need to do another one so she can complete the swim as well?  Has this event created interest in more triathlons or convinced her to stick to running?

No matter what the answers this accomplishment is pretty amazing!

Congrats Michele.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks all for following and for all the good karma rockets.  It was a bit disappointing to not swim; however, the algae was indeed nasty and with the cold temps on Sunday morning (39F) at the start, the swim would have been interesting to say the least.  

I had set up a plan to follow my HR and not leave it all on the bike course in order to use my strength which is indeed the run.  I had a HR that I stuck with and while I didn't ride quite as "fast" as I would have liked, I did stick with it.  The bike course in Louisville is quite hilly (5200' of elevation gain) and the head/crosswinds (13-14 mph) were tough in several places.  With my keeping my HR at 127 (or less), it meant that I couldn't/didn't/wouldn't push into the wind - which made for some "slower" climbs - but that was the plan.  I later see on the IM site that I actually passed women in my AG in the latter miles of the bike, so even though it didn't feel like it, I was actually staying steady the course.  The biggest issue that I had was that I had to stop three times on the bike - to pee! - I had planned on one stop at special needs (and a quick early stop to shed my jacket), but three times to pee!. At least I knew that my hydration/nutrition was/is on point.  I was not pleased with the wind and the traffic in spots was quite annoying as well.   I ran into the same issues at Chattanooga where cars seem to deliberately get in front of a line of bikers and slow down forcing the bikers to slow as they cannot pass.  Some did pass on the left - but I would not have been able to do that even if I tried.

Once I got to T2, it was all about the run.  Of course, again, I had to pee, but I changed my shirt, my shoes, drank some Coke, ate a few chips and off I went.  Again, I had a HR plan to follow, and follow it I did.  There was a time around 15 miles, where I caught a teammate who was walking and he joined me running (he stopped at the start of the third loop), he laughed as every time my HR would go up (we were talking which gets me to speed up), I would slow back to the HR target.  He had blown it out on the bike which is most likely what everyone else around me did. The third loop was tougher as the sun had gone down and with some uneven areas and darkness, there were spots where I had to slow a bit as even my headlight was enough.  I did get through all those patches as I just kept running and passing all the walkers and runners who were fast off that bike.  I actually went from 27th in my AG to 16th overall with one of the faster run times in my AG.  Once I got to mile 24 and I knew it was almost done, I picked it up a bit and had to climb the final hill to the finish.  (I actually passed another woman in my AG along the last mile and almost caught the one in front of me).  Two things I discovered on the run: Coke and Base Salt rule.

As for whether I'm done with triathlons - no, I really like the training and I love the half distance, so I already have plans to go back to Augusta as that is one of our target races next year in honor of Bethany, our coach who passed away this summer.  Not sure if I'll do another full - as Ironman had no control over the river situation, people qualified for Kona, and in the eyes of Ironman, those of us who finished did it!  Many athletes I talked to even said they thought it was harder without the swim as they all went a bit too hard on the bike.  I was disappointed with my time on the bike - but I followed the plan and didn't blow it out.  I used my run as my strength.  Carol, my (other) Oregon friend (and one that stayed with Nancy, Katie and I in Victoria) is trying to talk me into Arizona or Italy next fall. Not sure I'm ready for that yet.

To answer your question, Nancy, of the 23 athletes the Atlanta Tri Club had in the event, all but 2 finished and we placed 6th TriClub overall which is pretty awesome considering all but one of the clubs ahead of us are National.

Thanks again to you all.  Now back to running for a while as Boston is in April!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Good report, Miche1e, and disciplined, too! Did I read correctly that if the time was good enough for Kona, then those people qualified?

Be sure to keep that wine IV drip going!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Well executed race Michele.  Impressed that you stayed at your HR targets.  Not sure I could!

Interesting that you liked Coke and Base Salts for your supplements/fuel.  

I laughed at you comments about stopping to pee.  We had many interesting conversations about peeing during a tri when I was training for my 70.3.  Maura is a big advocate of peeing on the bike.   What a Face  I could handle peeing in the water but on the bike...I don't think so.  Rolling Eyes

Hope recovery is going well....and you're back to Boston training soon.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Yes, Doug, if a finisher qualified for Kona - they made it to Kona - it is all copacetic in the eyes of Ironman - again no control over the weather or the river.

And Nancy - peeing on the bike is a common theme although I think few actually do it.  I have been warned that if an Ironman official catches you "peeing" on the bike you will be a DQ - not sure how true that is.  I do know that if you stop, go into the woods and pee and get caught, you will indeed be DQ'd as it is considered - drum roll please - LITTERING!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Yes, Doug, if a finisher qualified for Kona - they made it to Kona - it is all copacetic in the eyes of Ironman - again no control over the weather or the river.

And Nancy - peeing on the bike is a common theme although I think few actually do it.  I have been warned that if an Ironman official catches you "peeing" on the bike you will be a DQ - not sure how true that is.  I do know that if you stop, go into the woods and pee and get caught, you will indeed be DQ'd as it is considered - drum roll please - LITTERING!!!

Good grief! Really?? Might as well pee on the bike, then. Reducing drafting, too!

Congratulations on a well-executed race, especially considering the circumstances. I have a feeling you'll try the full distance again, if only to experience the full event with the swim. And you'll do great at it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:38 am

Most impressive performance, Michele. Shocked

I continue to be amazed by you triathletes who keep going for 12+ hours. Kudos to you!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3