365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wandering aimlessly...

5 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 2 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 am

Sincere apologies for the delay in reporting the results of the MAC Dash.  I headed off early the next morning for a week in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP with Izzy (age 12, the middle of Gary's three girls).  More details in the next post but for now I'll just say that we had a wonderful trip.

So the Dash...I WON!...well sort of.  I was the fastest female from Jefferson County.  They give an award to the overall male/female winners and also an award to the local male/female winners.  They moved the race up to August as the September date conflicted with another big event a couple hours away.  They accomplished their goal of attracting a few more out of town participants but lost several local participants.  

My time wasn't actually very good but I knew going in that I wasn't in top shape and my goal was to make sure that I kept things at an appropriate pace...and make sure I finished in under 1:30.  My swim was only a few seconds slower than last year.  The bike leg was decent.  I was a bit disappointed in the run leg but that's what I expected.  I beat Gary by 13 seconds. :cheers:  Natalie had a great first tri experience and far exceeded her goals.  Owen and Royce had a great time in the Mini MAC.  It was a really fun day.

1:26:44 Finish time
21/51 Overall
6/27 Female
1/3 Age group

Historical times:
2008   1:29:53
2009   1:24:45 (Jefferson County female winner)
2010   1:23:01
2011   1:25:56
2012   1:21:46
2013   1:20:27
2014   1:22:44
2015   1:28:21  (5 months after my cardiac event)
2016   1:21:44
2017   1:22:36
2018   1:26:44

My 2013 PR coordinates with my BQ year.  Just missed a sub 1:20 finish and also came close but missed a sub 4 hour marathon that year.  Looks to me like that was my peak and I'm going to have to accept the fact that old age and cardiac damage is a fact of life.

Still struggling to figure out what I want to do next but I did have a lot of fun on race day!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:18 am

cheers
Money Money 

Congratulations, Nancy!  A win is a win.  Endorsement deals are NEXT!!

And you had a really good time, too.  Maybe that's a goal race to consider.  Hopefully, the race director and the retained earnings of the MACdash can work off the kudos of the out of town people to get entrants up in the years to come.  You might also work on the locals.

Yellowstone is one park I'd like to see, although I think I'd like to go in the wintertime or almost wintertime.  Living in Houston, I just don't see snow enough.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Woot! Congratulations, speedy! That's a great result.

I'd say you may have found an answer to what you want to do next: HAVE FUN

You may or may not ever be as speedy as you were back in BQ days, but there's nothing that says you can't find enjoyable, challenging races, train well and have a great time. Sounds like a pretty great thing, actually.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:52 pm

ounce wrote:cheers
Money Money 

Congratulations, Nancy!  A win is a win.  Endorsement deals are NEXT!!

And you had a really good time, too.  Maybe that's a goal race to consider.  Hopefully, the race director and the retained earnings of the MACdash can work off the kudos of the out of town people to get entrants up in the years to come.  You might also work on the locals.

Yellowstone is one park I'd like to see, although I think I'd like to go in the wintertime or almost wintertime.  Living in Houston, I just don't see snow enough.

Mark B wrote:Woot! Congratulations, speedy! That's a great result.

I'd say you may have found an answer to what you want to do next: HAVE FUN

You may or may not ever be as speedy as you were back in BQ days, but there's nothing that says you can't find enjoyable, challenging races, train well and have a great time. Sounds like a pretty great thing, actually.

Thanks!  It's funny...it wasn't a fast result at all...even for me...but I guess as Michele says, it's all about who shows up that day.

It is kind of interesting...this wasn't a fast race but I had a lot of fun.  And my 70.3 wasn't fast either and I enjoyed it immensely.  Maybe Dr. Beckerman was right...I should run for the enjoyment not the time.  

Another interesting take away from this event.  I had a decent swim and bike time.  It was the run where I really struggled.  Why does it seem to be running that's been the hardest since my cardiac event?  Is it just that I don't have fast swim and bike times pre-cardiac event to compare my current times to?  Is running actually harder?  Are my slower run times age related or cardiac related?

Speaking of Dr. Beckerman...I had a blood draw a couple weeks ago and finally connected with Dr. B to review the results.  He's quite pleased with both the cholesterol numbers and the liver function numbers so is going to allow me to stay at 15 mg of Atorvastatin.  Good news!

I haven't felt the greatest.  I really dialed back on training after the 70.3 so I could spend time doing things with friends and family this summer.  It's been nice.  I've tried to maintain at least enough activity to maintain a decent level of fitness.  I'm struggling though...I'm often stiff and sore after a pretty easy workout.  I'm not sure if it's the result of overtraining for the 70.3 and I need a bit more recovery time or if I'm not doing enough.  I seem to feel better after I workout...it's just hard to get started.  

More questions than answers.  Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Sounds like you may have overtrained a bit for the 70.3. Make sure to take it slow on the recovery, because the last thing you want is to push your body in a situation like that. If you do, you may end up feeling the air going out of your tires like it did to me a few years ago. It took a long time to get the mojo back. So rest! Relax! Have fun! Walk! Be active, but don't train. It'll be worth it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:07 pm

I can answer that - it's between the ears and you may never get over that - so as they say in that annoying Disney movie in the snow - "Let it go!"

Anyway, Congrats on the win!  And it is indeed about who shows up, but it is also about getting to the starting line and the finish line upright, proud and smiling!

I was just looking at the entries for Augusta and damn if I didn't see the name of a long time running rival.  My first reaction was, "Shit, when did she turn 55!".  My second however was - who cares, it is about me, my time and the course and how well I can execute my race (weather permitting make a good time) - not her or her race.  So thankful that we will have a "rolling start" like they did in Victoria - so I'll only ever see her when we rack our bikes.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:55 am

Mark B wrote:Sounds like you may have overtrained a bit for the 70.3. Make sure to take it slow on the recovery, because the last thing you want is to push your body in a situation like that. If you do, you may end up feeling the air going out of your tires like it did to me a few years ago. It took a long time to get the mojo back. So rest! Relax! Have fun! Walk! Be active, but don't train. It'll be worth it.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I can answer that - it's between the ears and you may never get over that - so as they say in that annoying Disney movie in the snow - "Let it go!"

Anyway, Congrats on the win!  And it is indeed about who shows up, but it is also about getting to the starting line and the finish line upright, proud and smiling!

I was just looking at the entries for Augusta and damn if I didn't see the name of a long time running rival.  My first reaction was, "Shit, when did she turn 55!".  My second however was - who cares, it is about me, my time and the course and how well I can execute my race (weather permitting make a good time) - not her or her race.  So thankful that we will have a "rolling start" like they did in Victoria - so I'll only ever see her when we rack our bikes.
Well...not sure who's advice I like best. Shocked

So I think I'll follow both.  I'm going to start slow and easy per Mark's suggestion but I am going to get back on track, choose a goal and work toward it.  Thanks for the kick in the butt Michele!

btw...you'll do fine in Augusta.  You know the course and knowing you you're prepared so give it hell and let us know how it goes!

Heading out for a social kayaking trip today so I'll update more here later...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:57 am

Quick update before I head out to rake and then bale hay today.

Social kayaking trip went well.  It was a 9 mile float downstream so not to tough.  I was the token farmer in a group of environmentalists.  My role was to answer questions and put a face to the farmers who are giving up water to help the Spotted Frogs.  They asked good questions and my answers were well received.  The organizer wanted her members to realize that we (farmers) are people just like them who are trying to raise our families.

Finished up the last couple sessions of Beachbody.  They were tough!  Marty did the workouts with me that last week and we're considering starting the 8 week session over and doing it together.  He wants to prepare for his elk hunting trip.

Friday afternoon I headed to Crater Lake for a bike ride.  Saturday was a car free day on the east rim drive with well supported rest stops.  A group of 6 of us from Madras had plans to meet at Park Headquarters, ride the 9 mile section (with cars) first and then finish up with the car free section.  Katie and her boyfriend, Ken drove me down and we spent the night in a cabin at Diamond Lake.  We headed to the meeting spot the next morning...and my car broke down...10 miles from Park Headquarters.  I didn't have cell service but Ken was able to make a call to AAA and get a tow truck coming.  I wasn't able to contact my Madras friends so I unloaded my bike and gear and planned to bike to a spot on the bike route where I could meet up with them...hoping they wouldn't wait to long for me at Park Headquarters.  Just before I was ready to take off Lucas and Christine drove by in their van...and brake lights came on...they pick me up and we said good-bye to Katie and headed off to meed the others.  Katie and Ken rode home with the tow truck driver and my car is sitting at the dealership in Madras.  We'll get a diagnosis on Monday.  My bike is coming home with Lucas and Christine via Eugene and I rode home with another couple.  They had room for me but not for my bike.

The ride was awesome.  I ended up with 32 miles and just over 4000' of ascent...and descent.  I was the least experienced rider in the group but did well on the ascents...was a bit nervous on the descents and hung back a bit.  42 mph is way to fast for me on bumpy winding roads!  But the views were awesome, the weather was gorgeous, and it was a great day with friends.  I heard there were 3000 cyclists there!

We're going to be pretty busy on the farm for the next couple weeks.  I'll try to get to swimming and Pilates when I can.  If Marty wants to and has time we'll squeeze in a workout together.  I'll run a bit when I have time.  And I'll make some decisions about what I want to do next and how to get there...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:30 pm

I was intrigued the environmentalists came to the conclusion that you put your pants on just like they do.  There are SO many other groups could come to the same conclusion, if they'd hold back on drinking their Kool Aid.  Let me pass the joint back to you, so we can share that fantasy.

Great on your bike ride.  42 mph sounds really cool, but not so much on a bumpy road.  But cool!

How's the legal matter going?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm

ounce wrote:I was intrigued the environmentalists came to the conclusion that you put your pants on just like they do.  There are SO many other groups could come to the same conclusion, if they'd hold back on drinking their Kool Aid.  Let me pass the joint back to you, so we can share that fantasy.

Great on your bike ride.  42 mph sounds really cool, but not so much on a bumpy road.  But cool!

How's the legal matter going?
We've met some great people during the Spotted Frog water issue.  Some have become advocates for us (irrigators) once they realize that we're following the rules, trying to conserve as much as possible even when it requires expensive improvements and that we're real people with families just like them.  Others will never be swayed.  The most frustrating group are the folks who make money from fighting us in court and don't really care about the frog at all.  We're farmers...we'll make do.

The land use issue is exactly where we thought it would be.  The commissioners voted to approve even though the applicant didn't provide the information that LUBA said was missing.  They voted on their desire to build more houses not the facts of the case.  We thought one commissioner might go our way but I think she realized it was a waste of her vote so why rock the boat.  Sad.  Anyway, we're going back to LUBA as expected but are relatively confident that we'll prevail...nothing is ever for sure in this life.

Oh yeah...this is a running blog...

So I don't think wandering aimlessly is a good option for me.  I think I need goals and a plan.  The question is what should my next goal be and how should I go about achieving that goal.  I have really enjoyed trying new things...the century bike ride shortly after my cardiac event, my first open water swim, my first 70.3, group bike rides...but I must admit that I do miss running with a goal race in mind.  In some ways new activities are great as I don't have a time/pace to compare to so I can set...and achieve... appropriate goals.  But I do miss the competitiveness of actually racing a distance that I've raced before even if it means I may be slightly...or very...disappointed with my finish time.

Swimming:

• I'm not a great swimmer but I do enjoy it.
  • I've been swimming pretty consistently even this summer while I took a step back from training.
  • It's a great year round activity.
  • It's a great recovery workout for me even if when it's a long hard workout.
  • I belong to a masters group that helps keep me accountable and provides workouts.
  • Possible goals

• Participate in a masters swim meet...race... What a Face
  • www.hoodriver.org/roy-webster-cross-channel-swim/  Swim across the Columbia River.  1.1 miles but with current and wind/waves.  Looks like a group from Madras may be swimming this on Labor Day next year.  It will be harder to get in open water swim practice now that Maura has moved to DC but if a group is doing this we'll get it done.

Biking:

• I'm getting better on my bike but I'm still often out of my comfort zone especially on narrow busy roads.
  • I didn't bike much at all after my 70.3 until I realized that I was signed up to Ride the Rim and only had two weeks to get back into biking shape!
  • I may be able to ride with Fanny and others occasionally but the group I was riding with dismantled.  Coach Sara threatened to sell her bike part way through 70.3 training and Maura moved to DC.  Fanny is a great riding partner but our schedules don't coincide very often and she often rides off road.  I don't have the correct bike or the desire to ride off road.  Opportunities for group rides will be rare and harder to schedule.
  • Biking makes Marty very nervous.
  • Possible goals

Running:

• I've done very little running since the 70.3 especially the last few weeks.  I miss it.
  • Running has been the most difficult activity since my cardiac event.
  • I don't do well training/running with groups so it's going to have to be step out the door solo.
  • Running off road is not an option unless it is with a group so not really viable.
  • Possible goals

Triathlon:

• I love triathlon but...
  • I lost my training buddies.
  • Training is very time consuming.
  • It's kind of expensive.
  • Possible goals

Core/Strength

• I put significantly more hours into core and strength training than I did into any one of the other activities this year.
  • I think it's a really important part of training and of life in general.
  • I have options for group classes that I enjoy.  
  • Natalie's Beachbody online classes and Facebook group was fun but I'm not convinced that I want to make a big commitment to that again.  I'm the token Gramma and I feel awkward sometimes...but not always.  Undecided.
  • This is something that Marty likes to do with me during the winter months when he isn't so busy.
  • No matter what other goal(s) I choose this will be a big part of it...just not sure exactly how it will fit in.

OK...enough for today.  It helped to put some of my thoughts in writing.  I'll take a bit of time to think about it and come up with a rough plan.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Well the bad news is my blogging updates have been embarrassingly few and far between.

The good news is that I have been training and that training has included running! Running

So...a few things happened after my last post.

• I wasn't feeling great...mentally or physically.  Marty who is often frustrated by the amount of time I spend on run/bike/swim training noticed and mentioned that I hadn't been running much at all lately.  He wondered if that could be part of the reason I wasn't feeling great.
  • I read a very inspiring story about Kipchoge in the Bend paper.  It was published on Saturday before the race but I didn't get around to reading it until after the race.  It contained a couple interesting quotes that got me motivated to try a bit harder.
  • What started as kind of a joke has taken hold.  A group of swimmers from Madras have decided to train for the www.hoodriver.org/roy-webster-cross-channel-swim/ Tim has already adjusted our workouts with that goal in mind.  I've started working on alternate breathing so I can breathe on either side depending on the wind/waves.  Janice (age 72 and legally blind) is nearly as strong a swimmer as I am but obviously would have sighting issues on the river.  She's considering looking into swimming it with a guide.  I have a house reserved for the group.  It's a long way off but I think it will be a fun challenge and the fact that we have a group interested in doing it together really sounds like fun!
  • Registration for Dr. Beckerman's Heart Breaker Half opened up.  The race is Feb 17th.

Goals are starting to fall into place.  

I don't remember if I mentioned that I contacted the triathlon club in Tasmania inquiring about the possibility of training with them when we're there in January.  They were super welcoming and invited me to bring my wetsuit and join them for an ocean swim and even offered to loan me a bike so I wouldn't have to rent one.  But I realized that with the hiking I have scheduled I don't even have a full two weeks open.  I may try to join them for a training swim...in the pool...or a training run if it works out.  I don't think I'll mess with a bike.  I'm hoping I can volunteer at a race.  I plan to put off scheduling another 70.3 for a while and concentrate a bit more on running.  With the traveling that we'll be doing I think that makes the most sense.  I can run anywhere and it doesn't take much gear.  And the weather should be perfect!  I'm not really planning on racing hard in the half in February but won't rule it out if I'm feeling ready.

And I'm going to be spending a fair bit of time working on my swimming.  We're talking about a couple open water swims to prepare.  There is a swim in Foster Lake (Sweet Home) and a weekend of swimming at Elk Lake near Bend that we may go to as a group.  (Mark will know where those lakes are...they only 2-3 hours drive from Madras)

And I'm going to keep working on core and strength.  Sara's Pilates class is going strong again and it's still an option to participate in Natalie's Beachbody group.  Marty in interested in working out with me as soon as things slow down a bit more on the farm.

In summary...

• gradually work my way back into running...I'm trying hard to keep things at an easy effort for the first few weeks
  • swim
  • core/strength

So here's what my week looked like.

Monday

• Run 3.25 w/3 @ 12:03 HR 152
  • Swim 2150 yards
  • Beachbody Speed 25 (cardio)

Tuesday

• Pilates
  • Run 3.25 w/3 @ 11:58 HR 147
  • Beachbody Strength 25 + Core

Wednesday

• Swim 2450 yds all fins
  • Beachbody Pilates

Thursday

• Pilates
  • Run 3.25 w/3 @ 11:42 HR 146
  • Beachbody PiYo Buns

Friday

• Swim 1900 yds
  • Beachbody Dirty 30 (weights)

Saturday 

• Run 5.25 w/5 @ 11:56 HR 142

Sunday is a planned rest day

Pretty obvious that running was tough the first couple days but I felt more comfortable as the week progressed and it showed in my average HR.  Next week is going to be hectic on the farm and I have a board training in Sunriver on Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday morning so it's going to be a forced step back week but that's OK.  As I mentioned the goal is to keep the running easy and add strides when I feel ready.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am

I'm at a Farm Service Agency board training in Sunriver.  We finished up at 5:00 last night so I thought I'd check into my room and go for a quick run before dinner.  I took a wrong turn.  6 miles later I arrived back to my room in the dark.  Razz   I had a late dinner.  On the bright side it was an awesome run mostly along the river and the golf course.

Up early to get my Beachbody workout in before we meet again this morning.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Amazing how no goals turns into goals, isn't it?  Good luck with them!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:21 am

Ah, running in Sunriver. I had one of the best runs of my life there, many years ago. There's just something about that place. *Sigh*

Wow, so much for wandering aimlessly! Those are some great goals, and best of all, they look like a lot of fun, too. 

I think Marty is a very observant husband. I'd suggest keeping him.

Onward!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:58 am

ounce wrote:Amazing how no goals turns into goals, isn't it?  Good luck with them!

Mark B wrote:Ah, running in Sunriver. I had one of the best runs of my life there, many years ago. There's just something about that place. *Sigh*

Wow, so much for wandering aimlessly! Those are some great goals, and best of all, they look like a lot of fun, too. 

I think Marty is a very observant husband. I'd suggest keeping him.

Onward!

Yup...goals are starting to come together.   Very Happy

Sunriver was an awesome place to run!  And then...wait for it...Marty and I had a bit of a break from farming and headed to Camp Sherman for dinner and an overnight stay with my brother and his wife in a cabin there.  After breakfast the next morning they headed off to do their thing and Marty and I headed up to the summit of Black Butte.  Short...4 miles RT but challenging 1600' elevation hike.  It was cloudy so we couldn't see the mountains in the distance but we had a good view of the valley.  It was a nice break and fun to spend some time together!  Marty's hoping to get in some core/strength work and more hiking as he gets ready for elk hunting in early November.

So after me accidental longer run in Sunriver:

• Wed - Beachbody
  • Thur - Swim 1550 yds, BB
  • Fri - 5.25 mi, BB
  • Sat - 5.5 mi
  • Sun - Hike, BB
  • Mon - 3.75 mi, BB
  • Tue - 5.25 mi

My runs were gradually getting faster...because I could.  I realized that my HR was higher that I'd like and that if I was going to run more often/longer it wasn't sustainable.  My Monday run was @ 10:58 with an avg HR of 150...oops.  Dialed it back yesterday to an 11:40 pace and kept the HR at 141...much better.  Very Happy  I'll add in some strides in a few days.

Off to the pool this morning...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Don't you figure Marty will come back either being 'easier getting around' or 'no worse' after the elk trip?  All this exercising with his main squeeze might be showing tangible evidence of being worthwhile.

Soldier on.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 am

Quick post before I head to the airport for a trip to Canada with Mom and Katie.  Mom's always wanted to ride the train through the Fraser River canyon in BC and we're doing that and also taking her to Banff and Lake Louise.

We had the three boys on Mon & Tuesday and again Saturday and Sunday.  Still managed to stay active including hiking with the other half.   Very Happy

So since I last posted...

• Wed - Swim 2000 yds, Hike Tam-a-lau trail at Lake Billy Chinook 4 miles w/922' elevation
  • Thur - Run 5.25 w/5 @ 11:50 AVG HR 137  Approval, BB shoulders
  • Fri - Swim 1900 yds, BB Legs
  • Sat - Run 4.25 w/4 @ 10:40 AVG HR 143, BB chest/triceps
  • Sun - Hike Tam-a-lau loop  6.7 mi w/1205 elevation gain
  • Mon - Up early for BB Back/biceps before heading to the airport.

I'll check in when I get back home...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 pm

nkrichards wrote:Quick post before I head to the airport for a trip to Canada with Mom and Katie.  Mom's always wanted to ride the train through the Fraser River canyon in BC and we're doing that and also taking her to Banff and Lake Louise.

We had the three boys on Mon & Tuesday and again Saturday and Sunday.  Still managed to stay active including hiking with the other half.   Very Happy

So since I last posted...

• Wed - Swim 2000 yds, Hike Tam-a-lau trail at Lake Billy Chinook 4 miles w/922' elevation
  • Thur - Run 5.25 w/5 @ 11:50 AVG HR 137  Approval, BB shoulders
  • Fri - Swim 1900 yds, BB Legs
  • Sat - Run 4.25 w/4 @ 10:40 AVG HR 143, BB chest/triceps
  • Sun - Hike Tam-a-lau loop  6.7 mi w/1205 elevation gain
  • Mon - Up early for BB Back/biceps before heading to the airport.

I'll check in when I get back home...
I would love to take a train ride through the Rockies, either through like Montana to Seattle or Portland or a train through the Colorado part.  Just have to do some research on when and whether to do some stops to hike or just nose around.

Good luck on the trip!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm home.  The trip was fantastic.  Lots of laughs and wonderful memories in addition to the gorgeous scenery.  

My MIL and her brother are due to arrive for a short visit any minute so I'll keep this short and up date more later.

Back into Beachbody workouts, swimming and a couple nice runs last night and this morning.  Felt a bit rusty during that first run last night but this morning felt better.  Keeping things slow and easy effort for now.  

More later...

Life is good!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Three generation Canadian Rockies trip.

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 2 Train_10
Wandering aimlessly... - Page 2 Train_12
Wandering aimlessly... - Page 2 Train_11

Sorry about the incorrect rotation...I'm going to let you tip your head rather than take the time to try and fix them...

It was a great trip.  Mom did relatively well but I'm not sure how much longer she's going to be able to travel.  Glad we did it while she could still enjoy it.  And it's fun to travel with Katie as well.

So the week of the trip...

• Mon - Up early for BB back/biceps before catching the train.  Got in a bit of walking at PDX and SEA
  • Tue - Woke up to snow!  Early morning treadmill walk.  Drove to Banff for a trip up the Gondola and Afternoon Tea at Banff Hotel.  On to Lake Louise.  Mom wanted a rest so Katie and I walked...cautiously as it was icy...to the end of the lake.  Finished the day with Fondue.
  • Wed - Early Bird Yoga at the Chateau before heading to Jasper.  Gorgeous views as the weather had cleared.  We stopped to take a tour out onto the glacier and Mom was able to walk out onto the glass walkway overlooking the canyon.  Fun!  Mom wanted an early night so I was able to get in a nice 30 minute run on the treadmill.
  • Thur - Long but fantastic day on the train.  We were on the Rocky Mountaineer.  Wow!  They take good care of you!  Katie and I walked into the business district to find a light dinner for Mom and took it back to her room.  Then I headed out to walk along the river in Kamloops until it got to dark.  
  • Fri - Another fun day on the train.  Longer than planned.  The 3 mile long freight train in front of us broke a knuckle...the part that hooks the cars together.  That meant the front of the train was no longer connected to the back.  So the front end continued on for 30 miles to the spot where a new knuckle was available and then backed up 30 miles to complete the repair.  Fortunately we were stopped...for 3 hours...in a scenic spot.  We got breakfast and lunch on the train each day but dinner was not included.  The crew felt sorry for us and was able to scrounge up a light dinner and homemade trainmade cookies for us.  We also had time for a sing along and lots of laughter.  Katie just shook her head and commented about being locked in a rail car full of geriatrics with an open bar!  But she was a good sport about it all.  No time for any physical activity.
  • Sat - Once we got Mom settled at the gate Katie and I went for a brisk walk around the Vancouver airport while we waited for our flight.  
  • Sun - BB Shoulders in the morning.  BB legs in the evening.  Felt good to move and sweat again!

This week...

• Mon - BB Chest/triceps, Swim 2200 yds
  • Tue - BB Back/biceps, Run 5.25 w 5 @ 11:56 HR 139  Smile
  • Wed - Run 4.25 w/4 @ 11:53 HR 139, Swim 2200 yds
  • Thur - BB Shoulders, Pilates, Run 3.75 w/3.5 @ 11:39 HR 142
  • Fri - BB Legs, Swim 2000 yds (Tim had vertical kick in the workout which was tough after leg day!!)
  • Sat - Fun day.  Today was the MADras Runners Eagle Bakery Run and the Cardio Challenge Poker Walk.  I wanted to do both.  So 4 of us met at the Bakery, jogged to the park arriving in time for the Poker Walk...we walked/jogged..., jogged back to the Bakery for our cinnamon roll and then I gave Janice a ride home.  It was a really fun social type run/jog/walk.  Both Janice and I commented that the miles and the time flew by as we were busy chatting and having fun.  And the weather was gorgeous.  I ended up with 8 miles.  More miles than I've done in a long time.  My overall pace was only 13:44 but I didn't stop my watch for our frequent and sometimes fairly long stops.  Most of my actual running pace was just under 12:00.  HR 139

Feeling pretty good and pleased with my ability to restrain myself and run slower as I build my base back up.  Marty wants to try and get our next Beachbody workout in this evening and then head out to Smith Rock for an early morning hike.  I'm game!

Winter is on the way...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:19 am

Terrific trip Nancy! Thanks for the images of stunning rocky mountain peaks. Looks like you're in good shape for winter too.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am

KBFitz wrote:Terrific trip Nancy! Thanks for the images of stunning rocky mountain peaks. Looks like you're in good shape for winter too.
It was a terrific trip Kevin.  Lots of laughs and great memories.  I'm not going to have the opportunity to take to many more 3 generation trips with Mom.  It won't be long till I'm the oldest generation in my 3 generation trips!!

We did get our Beachbody workout in Saturday evening.  Chest/triceps.

And we did get up early and head to Smith Rock for a hike.  It was a fun one.  Mark will recognize the trails...  We headed down The Chute and across the bridge, up and over Misery Ridge, headed north on Mesa Verde, connected with Summit Trail to gradually zigzag our way back over the ridge, onto Burma Road to saunter back down and cross the irrigation canal at the tunnel entrance, then back to the bridge via Wolf Tree trail, and finally up and out via The Chute.  Ended up with 7 miles.  We pushed the pace occasionally but took time to enjoy the views and watch the climbers...there were a lot.  There were only half a dozen cars there when we arrived at 7:00 am.  The parking was completely full...and they have a lot...by the time we finished our hike.  Everyone was out enjoying the last of our gorgeous fall weather.

We both enjoyed the opportunity to spend some fun time together.  We're all ready for farming to slow down a bit...still have some work to do though.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:26 am

What a great trip to the Rockies! I'm glad you were able to do it while you can, and the views were spectacular.

Yes, those trails at Smith Rock definitely sound familiar. Just don't treck up the backside of Gray Butte like we did without a rope! affraid

You're definitely in a good spot to train through the fall and winter now. Good job!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Good vacation report.  LOVED the 'geriatric' sentence.  I'll have to research train rides, so I can get set for pulling the trigger.

Keep at it!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Mark B wrote:What a great trip to the Rockies! I'm glad you were able to do it while you can, and the views were spectacular.

Yes, those trails at Smith Rock definitely sound familiar. Just don't treck up the backside of Gray Butte like we did without a rope! affraid

You're definitely in a good spot to train through the fall and winter now. Good job!

ounce wrote:Good vacation report.  LOVED the 'geriatric' sentence.  I'll have to research train rides, so I can get set for pulling the trigger.

Keep at it!
 Mark...our goal was to summit South Sister on Monday.  Alas farming and the weather had other plans.  We decide we just couldn't take a whole day off for hiking and still get our work done.  Marty leaves for elk hunting tomorrow.  And...it snowed on South Sister so it wasn't safe to go anyway.  We did take the time for another hike at Smith Rock on Sunday.  Misery Ridge...twice.  

Doug...I love train travel.  Via Rail is the Canadian version of Amtrak.  I've done a few trips with them.  Pros...it's cheaper, you can choose between just a seat or sleeping rooms of various sizes, you can get up and move around and spend time in the observation car.  Cons...they travel at night and you go through some awesome scenery in the dark.  Rocky Mountaineer is definitely a luxury train.  It stops at night and you stay in a hotel so you don't travel in the dark and you can shower and sleep in a real bed.  You can choose Gold level service...you eat in the dining room and sit on the upper level of the car with great views.  They also offer Silver level service...you eat at your seat and have slightly smaller windows.  Pros...they really take good care of you!  Cons...you pretty much spend all of your time either in your seat or in the dining room.  They don't have an observation car.  I spent a lot of time on the small open air vestibule at the end of the car....which was awesome the day we were the last car on the train!  It's expensive!  We went because it was on Mom's bucket list and she isn't mobile enough to travel and sleep on the train any more.

Boy do I have news but I'm off to carve pumpkins so it's going to have to wait till morning...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum