365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wandering aimlessly...

5 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Wandering aimlessly... - Page 6 Empty Re: Wandering aimlessly...

Post  ounce Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Well, let's see.
1.  The pool.  Seems you're a bit concerned about the pool itself or just the activities since Sara skedaddled?
2.  Is your target heart rate much below 146?
3.  I guess the kids are counting down the days, much like Mark has been doing. Razz
4.  I'm sure Natalie will be tickled (as much as she can, that is) about having the maid.  The gift that keeps on giving.
5.  The chart for the nephrologist...gosh doctors love charts more than the numbers written down.  Brownie points, for sure.
6.  So what is the useful life of a VFD?  Do you have to replace equipment with newer equipment because parts or assemblies are hard to come by on the older stuff?
7.  Since Fast Freddy is down here and bored stiff, Guilty Gilda seems to have taken hold.  Must never have worked on a farm before.  Wasn't there something a few posts back (from your mad tour hiking trip) about throttling back some?  Send Gilda the email, so she's up to speed.

Thank you for the reports.  Sorry that I haven't typed in with anything.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:05 pm

ounce wrote:Well, let's see.
1.  The pool.  Seems you're a bit concerned about the pool itself or just the activities since Sara skedaddled? I'm concerned personally about the loss of Pilates, swim workouts and more importantly Sara's friendship and encouragement but yes I'm concerned about the sustainability of the pool itself.  We no longer have Water Polo, a youth swim team, aqua jogging, other in- water exercise classes (other instructors also left).  The public is furious and not willing to support an operating levy when it comes to a vote.  The board is fractured and dysfunctional.  The new director has a big city attitude that doesn't fit well in our community.  It's very concerning.
2.  Is your target heart rate much below 146? My Maffetone rate would be around 120.  Realistically that's not going to happen.  I can still hit a HR of 180 and my resting HR hovers around 50.  That gives me 130 to work with.  Using those figures my easy runs should be 115-148 so I'm not to far off.  My goal is to keep them under 140.  More details below.
3.  I guess the kids are counting down the days, much like Mark has been doing. Razz The kids were quite pleased that their first day of summer vacation included swimming and ice cream in the morning. cheers
4.  I'm sure Natalie will be tickled (as much as she can, that is) about having the maid.  The gift that keeps on giving. Did I mention that she's cleaning my house to...  Razz
5.  The chart for the nephrologist...gosh doctors love charts more than the numbers written down.  Brownie points, for sure. Chart completed.  Interesting.  I should have done this sooner.  I'm really curious how she responds.
6.  So what is the useful life of a VFD?  Do you have to replace equipment with newer equipment because parts or assemblies are hard to come by on the older stuff? The VFD was only 7 years old...well within it's useful life.  We got a power surge and that's what fried it. We'll be upgrading the surge protector!!  We're always replacing/upgrading something.
7.  Since Fast Freddy is down here and bored stiff, Guilty Gilda seems to have taken hold.  Must never have worked on a farm before.  Wasn't there something a few posts back (from your mad tour hiking trip) about throttling back some?  Send Gilda the email, so she's up to speed. Mentally I've got Guilty Guilda on board...well sort of.  It's a work in progress.

Thank you for the reports.  Sorry that I haven't typed in with anything.

That was a lot of questions Doug!  Thanks for dropping in.

So more details on my runs and HR.

Today 5 miles @ 11:11 HR 150  Morning run but it was already warming up.
11:14 (133)
11:35 (147)
11:13 (151)
11:09 (158)
10:47 (159)

Friday June 7th 3 miles @11:48 HR 135 Late afternoon.  Windy & warm.
11:46 (128)
12:16 (135)
11:21 (141)

Thursday June 6th 5 miles @ 12:12 HR 142 Late afternoon.  WINDY
12:16 (126)
12:38 (140)
12:08 (143)
12:11 (147)
11:50 (151)

Monday June 3rd 5 miles @ 11:19 HR 148 Mid-morning.  Warm.
11:30 (132)
11:37 (147)
11:23 (149)
11:30 (153)
10:36 (159)

Saturday June 1st 5 miles @ 11:45 HR 146 Morning run but it was already HOT
11:34 (129)
11:51 (143)
11:46 (147)
11:51 (153)
11:50 (157)

All my runs now include a short walk before and after but I don't include that in my data.

Sorry...that's really more information than you need but it was a good exercise for me.  As you can see, in general I still tend to finish fast...some times more than others.  Is the HR bump due to increased pace or distance...probably both.  In all honesty I haven't been paying attention to fueling and hydration like I do when I'm in serious training.  And I haven't had the best conditions ie hot and/or windy.  Conclusion...I'm training at a better HR/pace than I have in the past but I need to be cautious and slow down a bit more...and plan better so I have better conditions and preparation for runs.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:27 pm

No, no.  Not too much information.  It just takes a while to type it all.  I noticed for every run that mile 2's split is slower than mile 1's split.  I'm the opposite.  Also, at 159 bpm, you run sub-11's.  Your HR creeps up after every split on every run.  Just observations.  Good running, too!

As far as the pool, looks like you and your pool friends will need to round up a few friends and create some programs on your own.  One of those "if it is to be..." moments to keep the pool viable.  Charge a token amount (<$5), maybe even $1, to get people curious to come out.  July 4th pot luck party at the pool.  The City or director or something buys the hot dogs and brings the grill, then everyone brings something.  

Some event that's not onerous in perception, but garners positive experiences about the pool.  So when something bigger has to happen, maybe the folks will think that it would be worth while.  Just a thought.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:15 pm

ounce wrote:No, no.  Not too much information.  It just takes a while to type it all.  I noticed for every run that mile 2's split is slower than mile 1's split.  I'm the opposite.  Also, at 159 bpm, you run sub-11's.  Your HR creeps up after every split on every run.  Just observations.  Good running, too!

As far as the pool, looks like you and your pool friends will need to round up a few friends and create some programs on your own.  One of those "if it is to be..." moments to keep the pool viable.  Charge a token amount (<$5), maybe even $1, to get people curious to come out.  July 4th pot luck party at the pool.  The City or director or something buys the hot dogs and brings the grill, then everyone brings something.  

Some event that's not onerous in perception, but garners positive experiences about the pool.  So when something bigger has to happen, maybe the folks will think that it would be worth while.  Just a thought.
LOL  My first mile is faster than the 2nd for two reasons...

1. I take off to fast and don't warm up and ease into my run properly...sounds like you're better at that than I am.   Embarassed  Somewhere toward the end of the first mile I usually realize that I need to slow the pace a bit to reach my easy effort goal.
  2. The elevation gain/loss has a big effect.  These 5 mile runs were all on my normal step out the door and run course.

• Gain/loss
  • 19/62
  • 55/19
  • 49/78
  • 45/45
  • 42/32

The pool is complicated.  For safety reasons we can't do anything without a certified instructor...which they have to hire/schedule/provide.  Interest in programs is not the problem.  It's trust at this point.  Our last director was very popular but was fired when he got caught embezzling.  It was small amounts but that's not the point.  He also ignored some obvious financial problems that showed up in audit (for multiple years)...the board is to blame for this as well.  Between that and the legal fees associated with his dismissal it left the pool in a financial crisis and the public unwilling to trust.  To make matters worse this is the third director that has been dismissed for misusing public funds.  The first two weren't quite as blatant but still illegal and unacceptable.  You can understand why the public is not willing to trust the board/director/management with our tax money.  Just heard that the front desk person turned in her letter of resignation as well.  Know anyone interested in managing a fantastic facility located in a podunk town?  The job comes with a dysfunctional board and a skeptical clientele.  

Following 30 minutes of BOD Full Body Cardio I got in a 3 mile run yesterday @12:04 HR 140.  Included a chat with a new neighbor. Laughing

Family stuff yesterday and today is putting a strain on my training time.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:22 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:No, no.  Not too much information.  It just takes a while to type it all.  I noticed for every run that mile 2's split is slower than mile 1's split.  I'm the opposite.  Also, at 159 bpm, you run sub-11's.  Your HR creeps up after every split on every run.  Just observations.  Good running, too!

LOL  My first mile is faster than the 2nd for two reasons...

1. I take off to fast and don't warm up and ease into my run properly...sounds like you're better at that than I am.   Embarassed  Somewhere toward the end of the first mile I usually realize that I need to slow the pace a bit to reach my easy effort goal.
  2. The elevation gain/loss has a big effect.  These 5 mile runs were all on my normal step out the door and run course.

• Gain/loss
  • 19/62
  • 55/19
  • 49/78
  • 45/45
  • 42/32

The pool is complicated.  For safety reasons we can't do anything without a certified instructor...which they have to hire/schedule/provide.  Interest in programs is not the problem.  It's trust at this point.  Our last director was very popular but was fired when he got caught embezzling.  It was small amounts but that's not the point.  He also ignored some obvious financial problems that showed up in audit (for multiple years)...the board is to blame for this as well.  Between that and the legal fees associated with his dismissal it left the pool in a financial crisis and the public unwilling to trust.  To make matters worse this is the third director that has been dismissed for misusing public funds.  The first two weren't quite as blatant but still illegal and unacceptable.  You can understand why the public is not willing to trust the board/director/management with our tax money.  Just heard that the front desk person turned in her letter of resignation as well.  Know anyone interested in managing a fantastic facility located in a podunk town?  The job comes with a dysfunctional board and a skeptical clientele.  

Following 30 minutes of BOD Full Body Cardio I got in a 3 mile run yesterday @12:04 HR 140.  Included a chat with a new neighbor. Laughing

Family stuff yesterday and today is putting a strain on my training time.
I ain't 1 micro millimeter better at doing something in running better than you, other than Magna Cum Laude in doing it verrrrry slowly.  I'm trying to think if I do anything fast, out of the gate.

As far as the pool...gotcha.  Oh, you have spare time, don't you?   Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:37 pm

ounce wrote:I ain't 1 micro millimeter better at doing something in running better than you, other than Magna Cum Laude in doing it verrrrry slowly.  I'm trying to think if I do anything fast, out of the gate.
Lot's of different measures of better running than speed Doug.  Don't sell yourself short.

I'm going to nominate Dr. Tilley for the doctor of the year award!  She's the nephrologist that I saw yesterday.  (She's a runner and specializes in electrolyte disorders.)  Breaking news...I'm fine. cheers  Well at least as far as potassium is concerned.

She loved my spreadsheet of blood test results dating back to 2000.  She said it made her job much easier.  The short story is that I don't have the serious things that cause Hyperkalemia.  ie kidney disease or Addison's disease.  I don't have any of the more minor causes either.  She thinks it's just the way my body functions.  And she spent a lot of time explaining things to me.  Why my potassium level tested higher than normal.  Why my normal high is OK.  What a lot of the other numbers add to the bigger picture and why I have several that seem very slightly out of wack but are actually perfectly fine for me.  She said I'm not a "normal" 61 year old female and so my numbers can't be compared to normal.  

More details on the specifics tomorrow or the next day when I have more time.  The gist of it is...

• Don't worry.
  • Don't go on a low potassium diet.
  • Do try to avoid to many/large servings of high potassium foods in one day and especially in one meal.
  • Do use caution with my electrolyte supplements when training.

I was just so impressed that in addition to telling me I was fine and not to worry, she took the time to explain everything to me!!!

So glad I took the time to see her...even though we've been extremely busy and I did not have 3 hours of free time!

More details to come...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:12 pm

That is some most comforting news for you.  Absolutely worth the 3 hours, especially since it didn't delay anything I had to do. Wink 

Good information and well explained.  You can't ask for much more than that!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:38 am

All of this sounds good - yay!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 am

Sorry guys...I'm struggling to find time for sleep let alone any me time for training.  

So the promised details about my doctor visit.

Potassium;

• Even though normal is 3.6-5.1 she said cardiologists like to see numbers in the 5s and don't get concerned at all until it reaches 6.
  • Your body adapts to it's natural normal.  I've consistently had readings in the mid-high 5s for years so that's my body's normal.
  • Abrupt percentage changes are more concerning that smaller changes even if those small changes bring you into the high 5s or even 6.  In other words my change from 5.6 to 6 is less concerning than a change from 4 to 5.
  • Intense exercise increases blood levels of potassium.  Most potassium is stored in the cells.  Some of that is released into the blood during intense exercise temporarily raising the blood levels.  It quickly returns to normal.  I did a 40 minute strength workout the morning of my blood test.  She said it should have returned to normal by the time I was tested but I could have had some lingering effects from the exercise.

Kidney function;

• Estimated GFR is just that.  It's an estimate based on a compilation of individual blood tests.  Your age and gender is part of that calculation.  So my GFR was calculated based on what the readings for a normal 61 year old female would be.  And they came in slightly low showing a possible kidney issue.  BUT I'm not a normal 61 year old female.  Who knew!  She said in looking at my individual readings they are exactly what she would expect from an active individual with a much higher percentage of muscle than a normal person my age.  

She was confident that I didn't have any kidney issues and fairly confident that I didn't have any other issues that I should be concerned about.  As I mentioned she said I should NOT change my diet and limit high potassium foods.  She did say I should be a bit cautious about eating to many high potassium foods in one day and especially in one meal.  She also said I should use caution in choosing my electrolyte supplements...not that I should cut them out completely...just use caution when choosing one and not to use them in excess.

Not much to report on the training last week.  I got in a couple swims, a couple runs, and my 3 core/strength workouts.  As I mentioned above I'm struggling to get enough sleep and training is taking a bit of a hit because of that.  I'm a bit frustrated and struggling to keep a positive attitude but...

• Natalie is doing well and Kevin has been able to spend more time with her and the boys.
  • Marty is committed to getting in 3 core/strength workouts with me each week and spending more time with me in general.  (This has required early morning alarms and is part of the reason sleep has been short but that's OK.)
  • I've figured out a way to run the local July 4th 10K safely.  Janice has been wanting to run a bit more.  Not only is she 72 years old.  She's also legally blind (has very little peripheral vision) and broke her leg running a marathon several years back.  (She has osteoporosis and ignored a stress fracture and it broke during the race.)  She used to run the 10K but dropped back to the 5K in recent years.  The 10K course is much nicer.  So...I offered to run the 10K slowly with her if she wanted to.  She needs to run with someone...it's usually her husband.  She accepted my offer.  We plan to run it at her pace and just enjoy the morning.  She's a good friend and this will help me contain my competitiveness and run it at an appropriate pace based on my lack of training.

So that's where I'm at...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:23 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:All of this sounds good - yay!
Thanks for dropping in Michele.  Hope tri training is going well!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Good luck on your race, tomorrow.

And thanks for the details.  I would task Augie with nipping at your ankles when you should be napping.

Further, I would suggest that your urologist send a copy of the report with her comments to your PCP, as part of your file.  I would also suggest that you have a copy of same for your files and if you have an 'oh, SHIT!' moment and want to bring your results, etc.  That kidney spreadsheet and heart data should be in the same oh, SHIT! folder.

Chill.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:29 pm

ounce wrote:Good luck on your race, tomorrow.

And thanks for the details.  I would task Augie with nipping at your ankles when you should be napping.

Further, I would suggest that your urologist send a copy of the report with her comments to your PCP, as part of your file.  I would also suggest that you have a copy of same for your files and if you have an 'oh, SHIT!' moment and want to bring your results, etc.  That kidney spreadsheet and heart data should be in the same oh, SHIT! folder.

Chill.
I do have a folder Doug.  It's the folder that they sent home with me from Mass General with all my discharge information.  I've kept everything together, added my old test results, and update it whenever I get new test results.  It's really handy.  I take it to every appointment.  It's bright red and says "Massachusetts General Hospital Heart Center" in big letters on the front.  

No naps for me.

My 10K went well.  As promised I ran with Janice.  I struggled a bit as I watched the people that I'm normally competitive with race off without me but I wanted to keep my promise to Janice.  She ran very well.  We finished in 1:08:37 at a 11:09 pace.  She slowed a bit during miles 4 and 5 but finished well.  She was quite pleased with her time.  I enjoyed running with her but as I mentioned I did struggle a bit with my competitive self.  I kept reminding myself not to push her to hard and to let her set the pace.  It was a good training run for me and a good choice given my lack of fitness.  Janice is a very good friend and I'm glad I did it with her.  We swam together this morning and she thanked me again for running it with her.

Getting busy with 2nd cutting hay and bluegrass seed harvest.  And visitors from Tasmania are arriving today.  Not sure how long they are staying and what they want to do during their visit.  I guess I'll find out when they arrive.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 pm

Good job, Nancy!

Enjoy your friends from down under.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:31 pm

ounce wrote:Good job, Nancy!

Thanks Doug. 

We are enjoying our visitors but boy do they like to talk. Laughing  It's making it hard to get anything done and especially hard to get to bed on time.  That said he jumped on a baler this morning and is currently driving the combine so that's helping.  She got bored while we were all baling this morning and we turned around and she was out helping one of the Hispanic workers.  Still not sure how long they plan to stay.

Things are getting busy on the farm...probably our busiest time of year and the alfalfa and bluegrass harvest are overlapping. What a Face

Still getting in our core/strength workouts 3 days a week.  Up at 4:30 to get it done this morning.

Got in all three swims this week and two were nice long ones.

5 mile run last weekend @ 11:29 HR 143
6 miles on Tuesday @ 11:24 HR 146

To hot to run when I got off the tractor yesterday so I rode the MAC Dash race route on my bike.  15+ miles quite slowly.  Yup...confirmed that those hills are all still there!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Good job, Nancy!

Thanks Doug. 

We are enjoying our visitors but boy do they like to talk. Laughing  It's making it hard to get anything done and especially hard to get to bed on time.  That said he jumped on a baler this morning and is currently driving the combine so that's helping.  She got bored while we were all baling this morning and we turned around and she was out helping one of the Hispanic workers.  Still not sure how long they plan to stay.

Things are getting busy on the farm...probably our busiest time of year and the alfalfa and bluegrass harvest are overlapping. What a Face

Still getting in our core/strength workouts 3 days a week.  Up at 4:30 to get it done this morning.

Got in all three swims this week and two were nice long ones.

5 mile run last weekend @ 11:29 HR 143
6 miles on Tuesday @ 11:24 HR 146

To hot to run when I got off the tractor yesterday so I rode the MAC Dash race route on my bike.  15+ miles quite slowly.  Yup...confirmed that those hills are all still there!

Ultreya...
Still have hills, eh?  Good to know.

Hopefully, your visitors will work more on toting bails.  

I like the looks of those two runs.

Separately, Michele ran the Peachtree 10K on July 4 at a pace of 7:44.  I imagine it was a toasty and humid morning.

Good luck with the visitors!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am

ounce wrote:Separately, Michele ran the Peachtree 10K on July 4 at a pace of 7:44.  I imagine it was a toasty and humid morning.

Good luck with the visitors!
Michele is impressive isn't she!!

Our visitors are still here.  They stuck around and helped bale alfalfa and thrash bluegrass through the weekend to help us get caught up a bit.  They went for a drive and hike yesterday and have plans for another drive today.  Will probably head out in a couple days.  They aren't any bother except they like to talk and we enjoy talking with them so I'm getting quite short on sleep.!

Chest and Triceps followed by a 1500 yard swim with Janice yesterday.

Back and Biceps this morning and I'll have time for a run later this morning.  Running

Natalie wasn't feeling well and failed a one hour glucose test so they suspected gestational diabetes.  They did a more comprehensive 3 hour glucose test and said she's fine.  She is still going to watch her sugar/carbs as they tend to make her feel unwell.  She's struggling to get in enough calories to feed those two growing babies.  She is doing well though and staying very active.  Her Mom is here to help with the older boys.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Yes, Miche1e is quite the bunny.  I hope it lasts until Dodger's legs fall off.  She's up in NY, so not sure which mom Dodger gets during the Summer.  I wonder how the Summer Theater up there is doing.  I remember there was money trouble 3 or 4 years ago.

Good to read your boarders do have an end day that's closer than farther.

As far as Natalie, good that she's not diabetic, at the moment.  Good for her that I don't know nuffin' about low carbing while pregnant.

Ultre ya self.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 am

Update...

Visitors headed out mid-morning on Wednesday.  We enjoyed their stay...even though they talked A LOT and we missed a lot of sleep.

Natalie is doing well.  She's needing more help with the boys to give her time to rest but we're managing to provide a break for a bit most days.  And as a result the boys are getting an opportunity to ride in the truck to deliver seed, "help" scout fields, spend time in the tractor or combine (the newer equipment comes with training seats!), and occasionally just hang out for a juice box.

This week is fair week.  The girls take their animals to the fairgrounds today.  Thursday is showmanship so Mom is riding over on the shuttle Wednesday afternoon so she can watch them show.  She'll head home Friday morning.  It's a busy time to visit but it will be nice for her and we've tried to schedule our work so I have some time to spend with her.

Oh...training...

• I was able to swim 3 times last week.  Working hard on alternate breathing and it's starting to become a bit less awkward.
  • Got in one 15 mile bike ride on those darn hills.
  • Three runs including the Eagle Bakery group run.  Nothing very fast but that's OK.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:51 pm

Discouraging training week.

• One 2600 yard swim.
  • One 5 mile run.
  • We did manage to get in all three of our strength workouts.

Really busy week for me on the farm.

It was fair week.  My Mom spent a couple days with us so she could watch the great grandkids show at the fair.  Emma took a steer from Mom's herd which made Mom pretty proud.  Girls all did well and had fun.  Mom survived the visit.  It's getting harder for her but she really wanted to do it.

Mom left Friday morning and my host cousin from Australia arrived that evening.  She just stayed the one night so we stayed up late to visit.  We gave her a ride back to the Portland area on our way to Marty's 45th class reunion on Saturday.  Marty was two years older than me but we attended the same school so I knew most of his classmates.  30 people out of a class of 180 have already passed away!  And several others looked not far from it!!  

Lack of sleep is starting to really get the better of me...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Consider that training week to be a rest week.  And one of many to come, I hope.  Reunions can be great fun.  Glad you had some.

Keep at it and relish the time with your mom.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Another frustrating training week.

• Two pretty decent swims.
  • Two pretty slow runs.
  • Only two of three strength workouts.

Things should slow down a bit this week.  I was able to get in both a run and Beachbody cardio workout today.

I did enjoy the time with Mom last week Doug.  We're all trying to find things that Mom can still do and enjoy with us.  Between my siblings, kids, and grandkids we're keeping her pretty well entertained.  The time with her will mean even more in the future!

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 am

Well, you and I have had enough of frustration in our training.  Although mine will continue until temperatures get below 70 degrees.  After all, the dew point cannot be higher than air temperature.  Of course, niggles and that sort are the jokers in the mix.

Keep at it.  Allow a nap at your computer, after payroll, but be sure to put a washcloth between you and the keyboard. 

It might be interesting to compare running hills effort for you in comfortable temps and running flats in 80 degrees and humid.  I imagine there's a similarity at some point.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:20 pm

I'm a bit late checking in this week...sorry.  But I have a very good reason.  I've actually been training!!

• Swim...Got in all three of my swims last week.  I've been concentrating on alternate breathing and sighting drills.  It's starting to feel a bit less awkward but I'm not completely comfortable yet.
  • Running...Got in all three runs as well.  5, 5, & 7.  Glad I'm able to keep up with Doug!
  • Biking...Two hilly 15 mile rides.  No speed records but I'll be able to pull the hills.  Not sure about running afterwards. What a Face
  • Strength...All three strength/core workouts as well.

It was a much better week and this week is starting off pretty good as well.  We are still busy farming but I've been able to help later in the day after I get some training in.  That may change next week when we get into 3rd cutting alfalfa.

My Cross Channel swim is less than 3 weeks away.  I'm not nearly as ready as I'd like but it's not a race and I think I can handle the distance (1.4 miles) OK.  I am a bit worried about the weather and choppy conditions...and the current.  And I need to get in at least one (preferably two) Open Water Swim practice in my wetsuit.

The MAC Dash is Sept. 14th.  I'm not going to worry about time but I do want to participate and keep my streak going.  There are only 5 or 6 of us who have participated every year since in started in 2008.

Off to the shower and bed.  It's going to be a long day again tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:45 pm

I've been so busy checking on Doug's progress I forgot to post my weekly update.

Swimming

• Three moderate length swims with Janice during the week.
  • Open water practice swim at the reservoir on Sunday.  Marty took the SUP and Kevin and family the paddle boat.  Marty followed me along the shore and Kevin and family puttered.  Then we enjoyed lunch together.  I got in 1600 yards.  Not fast but I did OK.  I headed upstream breathing out my less than comfortable side and then switched to my good side on the return.  It was good practice and it was fun.
  • Then on Monday I wasn't able to coordinate to swim with Janice so I decided to get in a good long swim later in the morning.  I swam for an hour with a couple minor interruptions but essentially non-stop.  2800 yards and held my pace pretty well through the entire hour.  I kept the effort moderate.  Very pleased.

Running

• A couple 5 mile runs during the week @11:56 HR 142 and @11:29 HR 143
  • Eagle Bakery group run with Janice on Saturday.  3.64 miles @ 11:37 HR 136

Biking

• Biked to the pool for a meeting and did the race hill twice in the process.  16+ miles

Core/Strength

• Four workouts for the week.

I found some really interesting podcasts and listened to a couple while I was in the tractor.  They are pretty long and technical but I'm glad I found them.  Interesting info on cholesterol and Statins was what caught my eye but he (Peter Attia) also had an interesting guest talking about sleep.  I've come to the conclusion that lack of sleep may be to blame for some of my concerns this summer.  I've been getting considerably less sleep than normal and feeling pretty cruddy.  Even though I've been training less...time and intensity...I've been exhausted.  Maybe these 4:30 alarms to make sure we get our core/strength workouts in isn't a sustainable plan for me.  Worth looking into and thinking about anyway.

Not able to train at all yesterday or today.  It's been a tough year for me on the farm!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:45 am

Good workouts this past week, Nancy! Especially with all the farm work, it's impressive.

You may be hitting on something with sleep. I know we tried getting up very early (4 a.m.) to run together, but it kind of blew up on our faces. It was just one stressor too much. We couldn't sustain it. Maybe you can find a different time for strength training?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum