365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Returning to Running

+17
Matt W
Kenny B.
Peg Coover
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
Liz R
Ken Mello
JohnP
Julie
Mark B
Seth Harrison
healdgator
Natalie
Penelope
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Returning to Running - Page 4 Empty Re: Returning to Running

Post  Penelope Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Sun 8/21 0 miles. My last day of the first week of work, and I didn't get home til after 9 pm. I was exhausted. I can see why people do this for 7 straight days and then have time off. I have The King's Speech from Netflix and had intended to watch it Sunday after work, but I fell asleep shortly after I got home.

Mon 8/22 2 miles, 20:xx. This was a bummer of a run. It started out great for the first 1.5 miles. I felt really good and was moving along smoothly at just under 10:00/mile when all the sudden I got stomach cramps. They hurt and weren't going away, but I was trying to push through. Then I got really nauseous. I wondered if I should shorten the run and slow down a bunch. I came to a redlight at right around 2 miles and had to stop for it, and all the sudden I was gagging and dry heaving. I never actually threw up, though. But I felt like crap. I decided to call it a day and walked the 2 miles back home. I wish I'd had my CTA card or a credit card so I could have taken a cab. I had nothing on me and just walked all the way home, feeling awful. The stomach cramps moved lower down, and you can imagine what came next after I got home.

Tues 8/23 6 miles, 1:03:28. Went North along the lake today, feeling pretty good. It was raining, and as I was getting ready, I thought I heard thunder. So I made a last-minute decision to attempt 6 miles on the treadmill. For me, running is at least 60% mental, and I need to be geared up for whatever I'm going to do. Especially on the treadmill. I ran for about 5 seconds on it and pushed stop--I could tell I wasn't in it mentally for a boring 6 miles on that. I didn't hear any more thunder, so threw on a hat and windbreaker and went out in the rain. It stopped raining maybe a mile or so into my run. I had no idea there was a strong tailwind going North, and was feeling pretty good. Then I turned around after 3 miles, and realized just how windy it was, now that I was running into it. The distance and the wind slowed me down and tired me out--first 6 mile run in over a year. By the 5th mile, I was feeling it, and taking it streetlight by streetlight until the Garmin reached 6 miles. That stupid sidestitch came around 5 miles again, too. It reminds me that I need to do some corework. I think having a stronger core will help me out with running in general, and especially when I'm running into the wind.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Great job on the 6 miles.

The issue you had on Mondays run sounds like what has happened to me sometimes and I believe in my case it is related to diet and not having a gallbaldder.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Looks like what happened to you on Monday was just a fluke. I'm not sure if the sidestitch is a result of a weak core, but there's no question that having a stronger core will benefit your running.
I really enjoyed the King's Speech. Hope you get a chance to watch it soon.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I've heard the King's Speech was good, I haven't seen it but have read some positive articles about it, mostly from a speech pathologist's perspective since I get journals for my field (SLP). Seems to be a pretty accurate portrayal of stuttering.

I wonder what made your side hurt. Sometimes I think I eat too much fiber and that gives me tummy problems. I hope you figure out what did it and things improve soon.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 am

Julie wrote:I've heard the King's Speech was good, I haven't seen it but have read some positive articles about it, mostly from a speech pathologist's perspective since I get journals for my field (SLP). Seems to be a pretty accurate portrayal of stuttering.

I wonder what made your side hurt. Sometimes I think I eat too much fiber and that gives me tummy problems. I hope you figure out what did it and things improve soon.

I watched it tonight, and I really liked it. I can't say how accurate it is from a speech pathology perspective. But from a movie perspective, it was very good. I like Colin Firth, and he did a great job, I thought.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I found the running comes back -- even with relatively short runs. Just be consistent. Speed comes back as well but it seemed to take a bit longer. Sounds like you are settling in well. Good news.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Great job on the 6 miles.
The issue you had on Mondays run sounds like what has happened to me sometimes and I believe in my case it is related to diet and not having a gallbaldder.
I think I'd eaten some ice cream beforehand, but it was a good hour before. Who knows.
Seth Harrison wrote:Looks like what happened to you on Monday was just a fluke. I'm not sure if the sidestitch is a result of a weak core, but there's no question that having a stronger core will benefit your running.
I really enjoyed the King's Speech. Hope you get a chance to watch it soon.
I figure having a stronger core will help in general. Yeah, not sure if it'll help with sidestitches or not. Time will help with those. I did watch the movie the other night and really liked it.
Julie wrote:I've heard the King's Speech was good, I haven't seen it but have read some positive articles about it, mostly from a speech pathologist's perspective since I get journals for my field (SLP). Seems to be a pretty accurate portrayal of stuttering.
Maybe it was something I ate. I don't think it was from eating too soon before running because usually that causes trouble right away, but maybe it was something I ate that just didn't agree. Who knows.
Dave Wolfe wrote:I found the running comes back -- even with relatively short runs. Just be consistent. Speed comes back as well but it seemed to take a bit longer. Sounds like you are settling in well. Good news.
I'm settling in well, and love it here. I've been so good at being consistent these days--having an easier work schedule certainly helps. But it'll be nice to get back to where I want to be.

Yesterday was a rest day. Not sure what's up, but I have been very tired lately. I've taken a nap for 3 days in a row, slept an extra 90 minutes this morning, and am still feeling sluggish. I thought maybe it was lack of carbs, so this morning I ate a bagel for breakfast before I ran, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

Today I ran 4 miles in about 45 minutes. My legs didn't feel heavy or lead-like, but I felt generally tired. I thought I would make this run a harder effort but I found it was hard enough to just keep going. I did try to throw in a few strides, but they weren't real strides; I was too tired to truly move. They were just 10-15 seconds of me picking up the pace a bit, then slowing back down. I ran downtown today, and I'm going to just stop running downtown. Between the redlights and the pedestrians who look right at you and don't move, I was getting annoyed. One lady and her friend wouldn't move over a little to give me enough room between a phone pole and them, and I ended up smacking my arm / shoulder into hers. Hard. Although it was not intended, I really didn't feel bad about it at all. I don't own the sidewalk, but neither do they. It was a lot of start-stopping with the redlights and the people all over, which I think made it worse for me because I wasn't having a great run to start with. Oh well, bad runs have to happen occasionally.

I'm having trouble finding a race that's local and that fits into my schedule and that I'd be ready for. I like the 10 mile and half marathon distances best, but I think if I want to do one in 2011 I'm going to have to go outside of Chicago and travel for it. Which I don't really want to do. There's a half in September around here, but I won't be ready for it. I suppose I could do a 10K and just get back into racing with that. But I need to find something to train for. Another thing I thought about is building up enough miles to do the basebuilding program in Road Racing for Serious Runners. I don't know. I'm going to need something to motivate me when the runs start to get longer, though.

Edit: I just searched and found the Hot Chocolate 15K on November 5th, and I think that's going to be my race for this fall. Maybe will throw in a 10K--there's one on October 1st that I could be ready for.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 pm

The Hot Chocolate 15K is supposed to be pretty good, but it has gotten pretty full/congested as of late. I have never personally done that race because it is typically the day after I do the Lakefront 50/50. I just noticed this year they are a week apart, hmm... There are a lot of good races in this area. I like the Jingle Bell Run (5K) a couple of weeks before Christmas. You can go to cararuns.org for a listing of many of the races in the area.

I bet running downtown stinks. Even walking around that area is really tough as many people ignore others and just walk wherever they want.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 am

Jim Lentz wrote:The Hot Chocolate 15K is supposed to be pretty good, but it has gotten pretty full/congested as of late. I have never personally done that race because it is typically the day after I do the Lakefront 50/50. I just noticed this year they are a week apart, hmm... There are a lot of good races in this area. I like the Jingle Bell Run (5K) a couple of weeks before Christmas. You can go to cararuns.org for a listing of many of the races in the area.
I bet running downtown stinks. Even walking around that area is really tough as many people ignore others and just walk wherever they want.

<p>Good to know about the cararuns.org website. I think I'm done running downtown, it's just too many people and red lights. I couldn't get into any good rhythm with all the stops.

8/26 3 miles, 29:27. After yesterday’s rather disappointing struggle of 4 miles, I felt a bit better today—I’m still feeling kind of sluggish, but I was able to push it for this shorter run, with splits of 9:48, 9:53, and 9:46. I stopped twice for water and to catch my breath for 10 seconds or so. By the end of the run, I was working hard to not fade and slow down. I feel like I’m making some progress, but still have a long way to go. I went out earlier today, before it got too hot, and that helped a lot. I still came back dripping with sweat, though. I think when I’m on my off weeks I need to prioritize getting up early and going out in the morning when it’s cooler. That seems to make a huge difference for me.
8/27. 0 miles / rest day. Went to dinner with a friend at Greek Islands, which was good. Then we went to a bar in Andersonville called Hopleaf, which we liked a lot. I had a Chimay that was quite bitter and unpalatable. Today I also did quite a bit of shopping for my apartment.
Sun 8/28: 4.0 miles, 39:57. I wanted to run 6 or 7 today, but more or less tried to do too much and ran out of time. I didn't get started til almost 8 pm. I went south along the lake path again, which was no problem in the dark since it's pretty well lit. I felt pretty good, and noticed it was really windy again. The lake was very choppy, and lots of waves were splashing up onto the concrete. I was running north into it the whole way back--it seems continuous, like it never stops blowing. It really makes it harder to stay on pace. My splits were 10:02, 10:10, missed the 3rd and don't feel like looking it up, and 9:46. I was hoping to make the 2nd half negative splits, and I know I must have with the 3rd mile as well. It was a good run, and long overdue.
I keep getting appetite suppression / mild nausea after my runs. The days I run in the mornings or afternoons, I have to remember to eat because I'm not getting hungry. On my rest days, I get hungry and usually eat more. But I know it's not normal to not be hungry after running. My weight has been bouncing around; I was at 124.5 Thursday (then did 4 miles), then down to 122.5 for 2 days in a row on Fri and Sat (3 miles and rest day), but then today (Sunday) back up to 124.5. I don't like the bouncing around, and it's not the scale, it's me. I feel 2 lbs heavier today. I do want to lose weight, but not because I have no appetite. I feel like it's coming off well, but for the wrong reasons. Whenever I come back from a run, I drink low-calorie gatorade because of thirst, and then chocolate milk. But I don't even want the chocolate milk, I just do it automatically because I know it helps with recovery, and I know I need the calories. And at work, if I don't get hungry, I just won't eat because I'm so busy, I don't even think about it. Not sure what to do.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 am

I'm never hungry after runs and I thought that was a normal feeling. Maybe I read your post wrong. I will say that you need to take small snacks to work and try to grab a bite when you can. Don't skip because that will do nothing for weight loss. With that said, I have met you before and you are little. If you want to tighten things up that is one thing but I think being smaller than you are now would be unhealthy. Okay? So remember to eat at least a little through shifts and I wouldn't worry about not being hungry after runs. Just eat before even if it's just a little!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 am

I think the heat can suppress your appetite too. Isn't that a reason why swimmers can get quite hungry after a workout but runners don't feel hungry until they've cooled down a little? Maybe try what Chas suggested and have some healthy snacks at the hospital when you have a chance to eat.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:08 pm

The winds coming out of the north on the lakefront can be tough, Kathy.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:52 pm

ChasMcG wrote:I'm never hungry after runs and I thought that was a normal feeling. Maybe I read your post wrong. I will say that you need to take small snacks to work and try to grab a bite when you can. Don't skip because that will do nothing for weight loss. With that said, I have met you before and you are little. If you want to tighten things up that is one thing but I think being smaller than you are now would be unhealthy. Okay? So remember to eat at least a little through shifts and I wouldn't worry about not being hungry after runs. Just eat before even if it's just a little!
Thanks, Chas, you're sweet. I was fine with the weight I was when we met, but that was 3 years ago, and I gained over 20 lbs from that. When I was doing marathons, I was 105-110. I got up to 132 at my heaviest. I think 110-115 would be healthiest for me, and when I was 115, I felt good and I think I looked decent, not too thin, and I didn't get sick all the time. So that's my goal. I've noticed I vary a lot when running, so anywhere from 113-117 would be fine with me.
Julie wrote:I think the heat can suppress your appetite too. Isn't that a reason why swimmers can get quite hungry after a workout but runners don't feel hungry until they've cooled down a little? Maybe try what Chas suggested and have some healthy snacks at the hospital when you have a chance to eat.
Maybe, although now it's a lot cooler here, so I'll have to see. This past week, I brought my lunch and more or less snacked on it throughout the day, which seemed to work.
Jim Lentz wrote:The winds coming out of the north on the lakefront can be tough, Kathy.
They really are! I've noticed that my pace can vary quite a bit, as much as 20-30 seconds per mile, depending on whether I'm running toward or away from the wind. But I like the lakefront, especially since there's no redlights to stop at.

It's been awhile. Last week I was on service again, by which I mean taking care of inpatients. I had a pretty difficult week, and my patients this time were a lot more sick than the ones I had my first week on. It made for some very long hours, exhaustion, and very little running. I did 2 miles on Thursday night. Mon and Tuesday I had some sort of GI bug and actually threw up 3 times Tuesday. I think it was something I ate, and I suspect it was a Golden Delicious yellow apple, because it all started about 30 minutes after I ate it. I could have run both Mon and Tues evenings in terms of time / energy but my stomach was so queasy and I was having chills and felt ill, so I didn't. Wednesday was a work party. Friday, I ate another yellow golden delicious (I think that's what they're called, they're yellow large apples) and I didn't puke, but I had trouble on the other end. Maybe it's all coincidence and unrelated, but I have one more yellow apple in the fridge and I don't think I'm going to eat it. By the time Friday, Saturday, and Sunday got there, I was a walking zombie in survival mode. Every day was long hours at work and it just drained me emotionally and physically. Let's hope next week is better!
Mon Sept 5--3 miles in about 32 minutes and change. I feel like I lost some fitness by only running once last week. Went Northwest along Lincoln, which runs diagonally. Every red light has 3 streets intersecting instead of 2, so it was a lot of redlights, and I don't think I'll run that street again. But it was cool to look at what's around there.
Tues Sept 6: 4 miles, 40:45. Ran along the lake, and it was another windy one. There were big waves and the water sometimes splashed up on the pavement. It's really cooled down here! It's not fall yet, but it sure feels like it. It's a little easier to run in the cooler weather, but I need to remember to use my inhaler when the air is cooler.
Weightwise, I'm down to 123.
Racewise, I'm still thinking of doing the Hot Chocolate 15K, although I've never run a 15K before, and would rather do a 10 miler, so I can compare it to my old times. I haven't committed to anything yet. I'm having trouble finding a training program that will work. The novice 15K plan is too easy, and the intermediate one looks a tad too hard. I think I could do it if work wasn't so demanding. On my off weeks, I can get enough sleep to be rested and do whatever pace runs or whatever harder workouts it calls for, but the weeks when I'm on service, I'm happy just to get out there and run anything, let alone trying to meet training goals.

Last edited by Penelope on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:59 am

Penelope wrote: Racewise, I'm still thinking of doing the Hot Chocolate 15K, although I've never run a 15K before, and would rather do a 10 miler, so I can compare it to my old times. I haven't committed to anything yet. I'm having trouble finding a training program that will work. The novice 15K plan is too easy, and the intermediate one looks a tad too hard. I think I could do it if work wasn't so demanding. On my off weeks, I can get enough sleep to be rested and do whatever pace runs or whatever harder workouts it calls for, but the weeks when I'm on service, I'm happy just to get out there and run anything, let alone trying to meet training goals.

As runners all we want to do is run and train -- perfect. As people with jobs and personal lives that include other things beside runners we're stuck in an imperfect "running world." I approach training in what I hope is a non-fantical way: 1) I pick the most challenging training schedule I think I can handle; 2) I keep in mind the easier schedules for the target race; 3) If I don't have time to or energy to do the harder workout I try to at least do the easier workout. Sometimes there is just no time to run and race results suffer but for me that's okay.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:35 pm

I think I would toss that yellow apple out too! Given your schedule, your running looks good. Remember you aren't going to be able to jump back into marathon training or something like that after those years of school. You're coming along well. I ran the HC 5K a few years ago and it was a good race except the gear check. I think I seriously waited one hour in line to get the bag afterwards. I assume they have fixed that situation now. But they had really nice food afterwards and extra chocolate.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:00 pm

There's a 15K here in October that I ran once, it was actually a pretty nice distance because it's not as "all-out" as a 10K but really nothing to recover from the following week. I would maybe pick a plan that was a little challenging if you know you won't be upset if you have to scale back some of the runs when work is too intense.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Glad you're settling in, Penelope, and that you seem to like the city. And I'm happy to see you have a spark behind your running again as well. 15K is a great distance and you'll like it. I've run a couple of races in the Chicago area (when I lived in Cleveland before), and besides being flat (as compared to the ATL), they were all very well organized and pretty fun.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:
Penelope wrote: Racewise, I'm still thinking of doing the Hot Chocolate 15K, although I've never run a 15K before, and would rather do a 10 miler, so I can compare it to my old times. I haven't committed to anything yet. I'm having trouble finding a training program that will work. The novice 15K plan is too easy, and the intermediate one looks a tad too hard. I think I could do it if work wasn't so demanding. On my off weeks, I can get enough sleep to be rested and do whatever pace runs or whatever harder workouts it calls for, but the weeks when I'm on service, I'm happy just to get out there and run anything, let alone trying to meet training goals.
As runners all we want to do is run and train -- perfect. As people with jobs and personal lives that include other things beside runners we're stuck in an imperfect "running world." I approach training in what I hope is a non-fantical way: 1) I pick the most challenging training schedule I think I can handle; 2) I keep in mind the easier schedules for the target race; 3) If I don't have time to or energy to do the harder workout I try to at least do the easier workout. Sometimes there is just no time to run and race results suffer but for me that's okay.
Dave, that is exactly what I needed to hear. I get so caught up in training plans and following everything to the letter and sometimes I miss the point. I'm training for a race, not trying to complete a plan with no errors. I think having the easier workout as an option if I can't do the harder workout is a great idea, and it gives me confidence that even if I can't do the harder plan, I can still do something.
JohnP wrote:I think I would toss that yellow apple out too! Given your schedule, your running looks good. Remember you aren't going to be able to jump back into marathon training or something like that after those years of school. You're coming along well. I ran the HC 5K a few years ago and it was a good race except the gear check. I think I seriously waited one hour in line to get the bag afterwards. I assume they have fixed that situation now. But they had really nice food afterwards and extra chocolate.

Thanks, John. I wish I could do the Hot Chocolate, but I'm going to a conference that weekend now. It's not definite, and if I don't go, I'll definitely do it. I've heard good things about the hot chocolate after the race!
Julie wrote:There's a 15K here in October that I ran once, it was actually a pretty nice distance because it's not as "all-out" as a 10K but really nothing to recover from the following week. I would maybe pick a plan that was a little challenging if you know you won't be upset if you have to scale back some of the runs when work is too intense.

I think that's what I'll do. I'm such a perfectionist and want to be able to do every workout in a plan exactly as written, which isn't realistic. I need to let it go and pick a slightly challenging plan, and if I have to scale it back some, so be it.
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Glad you're settling in, Penelope, and that you seem to like the city. And I'm happy to see you have a spark behind your running again as well. 15K is a great distance and you'll like it. I've run a couple of races in the Chicago area (when I lived in Cleveland before), and besides being flat (as compared to the ATL), they were all very well organized and pretty fun.

The only race I've done there is the marathon, but I definitely want to get involved in the Chicago running scene. It turns out I'll be out of town for the 15K, but I'm looking into other options for races as well. I do feel like I have the spark back to running, thankfully!

I keep getting behind on blogging, but tonight will be a night where I can catch up. I think I left off on Sept 6.

Wed Sept 7--5 miles, 9:30 pace. I managed to get to the Fleet Feet store on Wells and make it to the running group there. There were about 8 people total. We did a 5 mile out and back through Lincoln Park (the park, not the neighborhood). I wasn't wearing my garmin, so don't have the overall time, but someone who had one on said our average pace was 9:30ish. This is what's so great about running with a group. I had no idea I was capable of maintaining an average pace of 9:30 for 5 miles. If I would have been asked to do that on my own, rather than stay with a group, I'd have said there's no way I could do it. But, I did it. It was comfortably hard and by the end I was feeling it. Afterward I had that great feeling of accomplishment and physical well-being from a hard run. I definitely plan to continue to do group runs whenever they fit my schedule. Not only that, I learned a new route through the park as well, and met a few people.

Thurs Sept 8--0 miles. Rest day! I needed it. I did an hour of beginner yoga to stretch out. My parents came Thursday night and stayed through the weekend, which was awesome. They loved Chicago. It helped that the weather became nice over the weekend. We went to the Wells Street Fall Festival, walked around the city and explored, ran, biked, and ate out. It was a great time.

Fri Sept 9--5.5 miles, untimed, with my parents. We went south along the lake. It was cool and windy, and the waves were big again. There weren't many people out since it was a gray day, and I was a little sad to see the beaches completely empty. I felt pretty good on the run. Afterwards, we got showered and then went biking north along the lake. I had to rent a bike, and the one I had was too small for me, so it was a little uncomfortable, but otherwise fine. We did 6 miles before we got back to the rental place. I was super sore from the seat and happy to turn in my bike. My parents brought their own bikes and go all the time, so they continued on for awhile before it started to rain.

Sat Sept 10--3.5 miles, untimed, with my parents. I felt like crap; my whole crotch area was killing me with every step from the bike seat from the day before. We ran south again along the lake. It was warmer, the water calmer, less windy, and there were more people out as well. They went biking again for about 20 miles. I went to 2 different arts festivals and skipped the biking. Still sore. I did a lot of walking around as well, and by the time I went to bed, was exhausted.

Sun Sept 11--We didn't have time to run as a group, so I ended up going in the evening after my parents went home. I went for a nice, slow long run, 6.5 miles in 1:09:xx. Felt okay, and at times I wanted to go faster, but it's been awhile since I did my last 6 mile run, and that didn't go well. So I didn't push it, and this time it seemed to be okay at the slower pace. Went south along the lake again. Lots of people out in the evening.

Mon Sept 12--0 miles / rest day. Doing the 3 days in a row then rest day seems to work out well for me in terms of preventing injuries and keeping me fresh and ready to go. This week I'm working 3pm-12a.m. Mon-Saturday, so my goal is to run 4 times this week.

Weight has been stable at 123. I sort of stopped watching what I've been eating and have stopped actively trying to lose, and I guess I've plateaued. I do intend to continue to build miles, though, so I expect more will come off by doing that. So I'm not going to worry about it.

Regarding races, there's a conference I want to go to in San Francisco the same weekend as the Hot Chocolate 15K. I'm glad I hadn't registered yet! There's a 10 mile race in Chicago the following weekend, but that week I'm supposed to go on vacation, so not sure if it'll work. There's also a half marathon in San Francisco the weekend I'd be there, that I'm seriously considering doing. We'll see, but I would LOVE to do a half this year....
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Tues 9/13--3 miles in 32 minutes and for some reason, it was a horrible run. I think because I didn't sleep well. I woke up a few times during the night. Somebody I don't know called me at 6:30 a.m.--I didn't get home from work til 12:30, and had some trouble falling asleep right away. I was up past 2 and I guess I fell asleep sometime after that, so a 6:30 a.m. wrong number call was less than welcome. My legs didn't feel heavy or anything, but I just felt tired, slow, and sluggish, and was grateful that I was able to eake out 3 miles at all.

Wed 9/14--1.5 miles with 3 x 400 at 5K pace. Learned a lesson here. So, I thought maybe I could do the intermediate half marathon plan except modify the speedwork a little. By the date of the race, today's workout was to be 7 x 400 at 5K pace. Since I'm slow / out of shape and haven't done a 5K in 4 years, I thought maybe I should only do 5 repeats instead of 7. Ha ha ha. I survived 3 of them at 7.3 mph on the treadmill, with 400 recovery at 10:00 pace in between. After the 3rd one I was so done, I couldn't even do the recovery part--I had to walk, couldn't even run. Not sure who I thought I was kidding trying to do that workout, because clearly I am nowhere near ready for it. But I did see that Hal made a Novice 2 half plan, and that looks perfect for me. It's 4 days a week, so I figure on the weeks I'm not working I'll add a 5th day in for a few extra miles. There are pace runs every other week, but that's it, no repeats. I think it'll probably be a better fit for me.

Thurs 9/15--I'm still sore from yesterday's little shindig so decided to make today my rest day and run tomorrow instead of the other way around. I'm at work right now and still achey and tired. This week I'm doing 3p-midnight, and it's a weird schedule. It's hard to fall asleep as soon as I come home. Only 3 more nights of it, thankfully.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Sounds great if you have a half plan you think fits you well. Sorry about the wrong number call! How frustrating. I get woken up so many times I stop counting them but it's still hard being tired all the time.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Bayshore, 2012??? Smile
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:Bayshore, 2012??? Smile

Sounds fun and would be a great goal for me. Just need my 2012 work schedule...

I got very off track with running. Work has been really long/hard hours and come home feeling fried. Then I got sick. So I'm getting back on plan this weekend. I signed up for 1 10 mile race in Chicago November 12th. First race in awhile...

I'm noticing that I have a tendency to be too all-or-nothing when it comes to training plans. Work tends to be 12-14 hour days every day when I'm doing patient care, and often I'm too tired to do what's on my training plan, so I just won't do anything. I need to be more flexible and remember that something is better than nothing. So I'm making myself 3 different plans; an ideal plan, a realistic plan, and a bare minimum / survival plan to just finish the race. I'm taking into account the weeks where I'm doing patient care, where just getting out for a run is hard enough, and making those weeks easier / fewer runs. I'm hoping this flexibility will help me break this perfectionist or nothing-at-all process.

As far as racing goals, I'm thinking I'd like to do the March Madness Half that I've heard so much about. Now that I live in Chicago, I want to do it. I REALLY want to do the Chicago marathon next year. Just having dinner last night with the group doing it this year was so inspiring. Maybe Bayshore to get back into the marathon distance first. I really want to break 4 hours in the marathon and I'm not getting any younger. I need to put my running goals up on the fridge so I can see them frequently and be motivated.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Penelope wrote:

I got very off track with running. Work has been really long/hard hours and come home feeling fried. Then I got sick. So I'm getting back on plan this weekend. I signed up for 1 10 mile race in Chicago November 12th. First race in awhile...

I'm noticing that I have a tendency to be too all-or-nothing when it comes to training plans. Work tends to be 12-14 hour days every day when I'm doing patient care, and often I'm too tired to do what's on my training plan, so I just won't do anything. I need to be more flexible and remember that something is better than nothing. So I'm making myself 3 different plans; an ideal plan, a realistic plan, and a bare minimum / survival plan to just finish the race. I'm taking into account the weeks where I'm doing patient care, where just getting out for a run is hard enough, and making those weeks easier / fewer runs. I'm hoping this flexibility will help me break this perfectionist or nothing-at-all process.

As far as racing goals, I'm thinking I'd like to do the March Madness Half that I've heard so much about. Now that I live in Chicago, I want to do it. I REALLY want to do the Chicago marathon next year. Just having dinner last night with the group doing it this year was so inspiring. Maybe Bayshore to get back into the marathon distance first. I really want to break 4 hours in the marathon and I'm not getting any younger. I need to put my running goals up on the fridge so I can see them frequently and be motivated.

Sounds like some good ideas "K". It helps to be flexible about the training especially with a schedule like yours.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Ken, is totally right. Choose what's going to benefit the body and when you do that it will provide your body with more energy, because your making the right choice.
For instance I usually eat a big bowl of Oatmeal after an hour run with some cereal or other mixed fruits in it. This refuels the complex carbs back into the glycogen muscle stores. But days I don't run as hard or maybe not run much I eat more protein than I do carbs because I don't need those extra carbs for that day. Just making the right choice is really the only way to have a balance eating in your life.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 am

Jim Lentz wrote:
Penelope wrote:

Sounds like some good ideas "K". It helps to be flexible about the training especially with a schedule like yours.

Exactly, my schedule is two extremes of each other. One is very conducive to running, the other is not. But I'll find a way to make them work.

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:Ken, is totally right. Choose what's going to benefit the body and when you do that it will provide your body with more energy, because your making the right choice.
For instance I usually eat a big bowl of Oatmeal after an hour run with some cereal or other mixed fruits in it. This refuels the complex carbs back into the glycogen muscle stores. But days I don't run as hard or maybe not run much I eat more protein than I do carbs because I don't need those extra carbs for that day. Just making the right choice is really the only way to have a balance eating in your life.

True, and good advice. Thanks for stopping in, Kory, and great to hear you're back to running again.

Sat 3.5 miles, I forget the time, but it was slow. Haven't run much the past few weeks and it showed. It was hot on Saturday, too. I managed to eek out these 3.5 but certainly didn't feel good about it.

Sun 5 miles in 54:xx. Marathon Sunday. It was hot. I ran in Lincoln Park in order to stay out of the marathon course areas. About halfway through, a white-haired lady came up behind me and passed me. She came from outta nowhere. She looked like she was in her late 60s or early 70s. Complete with ipod. I had 2 thoughts: This lady looks twice my age at least and is kicking my running butt, and: When I'm 70 I hope I'm still running. Seeing the marathon (I watched from my balcony around mile 5 and then at mile 10 on North Ave), and seeing the people from here at dinner and after the race was so inspiring. I want to run Chicago next year, but given the persistent hot temps every year, maybe not with a time goal. I'm tired of being slow and just want to get back to what I was able to do before. Then I keep remembering that that was at a weight 11 lbs lighter than what I am right now, was over 3 years ago, and that I've been back to running for 3 months. Accept where I am and stop dwelling on the past.

Mon 3 miles: 28:xx. Back to work after 2 non-clinical weeks in a row. It was a 12 hour day, which is a good day for me, timewise. But by the time I was finished, I was thoroughly annoyed about some things and in a very bad mood. I'd brought my running shoes and clothes with me, so started at the Ohio Street beach and ran North along the lake path 1.5 miles then turned around. My garmin had some trouble finding a satellite, and I'm not sure if it was relevant to this or not, but when I turned around at 1.5 miles and ran back, I was a quarter mile short. Not sure what happened, so I just kept going so I could make it a full 3 miles. Because I was angry, I felt like going fast, so I did. First mile was in 8:31. I didn't know I could run that fast anymore. It felt good and helped me calm down. Second mile was 9:26, which I was just as surprised at. The 2nd half of it was into the wind instead of with it, but still, I was surprised to be a minute slower, because exertion wise, it felt the same as the first mile. Was the GPS off on one of the miles? Who knows. The 3rd mile I coasted in 10:xx. When I got home I took a bubble bath and between that and a good hard run, life seems a lot happier than it did at 7 pm when I started the run.

I've decided that if a good day at work is 12 hours, I better find a way to continue running on my clinical weeks despite these insane hours. I think I need to run now, more so than I've ever needed it before. I've decided that around 6 pm, if I'm not done with all my charting/documentation, I'll leave for a run and then finish up all my notes. It may make my days 15 hours instead of 14, but I think it'll be worth it. I set a 1-year goal to run Chicago next year, and if I remember that I'm working toward that, it'll help me. (I want to do it in under 4 hours but with where I am now fitness-wise and with the weather patterns in October, I don't know if that's realistic or not.)
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4