365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10K taper

+2
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
6 posters

Go down

10K taper Empty 10K taper

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:59 pm

I hurt one of my ribs on Tuesday (long story), but it has forced me to take a couple of days off of doing anything. I tried to run 6 miles today, but couldn't make it past a couple of driveways without it hurting pretty bad. I don't know how far I could of run, but I don't want to make it worse before my 10 K run on Monday. I thought about an elliptical, but that I think would aggravate it too, although not as much as running. Tonight I plan on riding on my bike trainer if I can stand it for about an hour. I was really pumped about this race and don't want to blow it because of this. Part of me thinks I should take off completely until Monday (that would make 5 days in a row of being a lazy sloth, which I hate) for the side, but part of me says it is going to hurt regardless - f it and don't be a wussy... Mad Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

10K taper Empty Re: 10K taper

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Do something short with a few intense bursts (3-4 minutes) today or tomorrow. Sunday, 30 minutes super easy, whether that's a spin, elliptical, or jog. And keep that rib on ice or wrapped or whatever will help.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:47 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:I hurt one of my ribs on Tuesday (long story), but it has forced me to take a couple of days off of doing anything. I tried to run 6 miles today, but couldn't make it past a couple of driveways without it hurting pretty bad. I don't know how far I could of run, but I don't want to make it worse before my 10 K run on Monday. I thought about an elliptical, but that I think would aggravate it too, although not as much as running. Tonight I plan on riding on my bike trainer if I can stand it for about an hour. I was really pumped about this race and don't want to blow it because of this. Part of me thinks I should take off completely until Monday (that would make 5 days in a row of being a lazy sloth, which I hate) for the side, but part of me says it is going to hurt regardless - f it and don't be a wussy... Mad Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

If you cant make it passed a couple driveways id stop running and rest totally until mon. Id wake up early and see what a mile feels like if ok go race. If not...

Did you not say you heard a pop when you hurt your rib. Id be at a dr get that checked out pass on the 10k. Recover rebuild repeat.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Do something short with a few intense bursts (3-4 minutes) today or tomorrow. Sunday, 30 minutes super easy, whether that's a spin, elliptical, or jog. And keep that rib on ice or wrapped or whatever will help.
Thanks Mike - I went for a ride this morning and did what you suggested. I'm glad I did b/c I was feeling pretty sluggish from 3 days of being a sloth. I rode 25 miles, but did most of it pretty easy with a few bursts in there. Running still hurts, but is a little better each day...

Kenny B. wrote:If you cant make it passed a couple driveways id stop running and rest totally until mon. Id wake up early and see what a mile feels like if ok go race. If not...

Did you not say you heard a pop when you hurt your rib. Id be at a dr get that checked out pass on the 10k. Recover rebuild repeat.

I would go, except I don't think there is much that can be done anyway - I don't think I can make it worse (other than pain wise which doesn't last forever), so I'm planning on running it. I know I won't be able to easily do it, but if I can't keep anything close to a reasonable pace, I will just walk it (that would be awful). Anyway, I'm going to try to keep it positive, give a good run, and try to have some fun. I'm also going to take your advice and do no running tomorrow, but will wake up early Monday morning and run a mile or so....

Thanks!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:31 pm

10k intensity is too high. I would just take it easy for the taper and race and wait for another opportunity.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:38 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:I hurt one of my ribs on Tuesday (long story), but it has forced me to take a couple of days off of doing anything. I tried to run 6 miles today, but couldn't make it past a couple of driveways without it hurting pretty bad. I don't know how far I could of run, but I don't want to make it worse before my 10 K run on Monday. I thought about an elliptical, but that I think would aggravate it too, although not as much as running. Tonight I plan on riding on my bike trainer if I can stand it for about an hour. I was really pumped about this race and don't want to blow it because of this. Part of me thinks I should take off completely until Monday (that would make 5 days in a row of being a lazy sloth, which I hate) for the side, but part of me says it is going to hurt regardless - f it and don't be a wussy... Mad Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

Would you just suck it up. No really all seriousness if it is hurting I won't run at all John. What is your goal race? If I were you I would keep my eye on what is the main goal. I would wait until Monday and give it a go, if you feel like you can race then race! If you have to back off back off, if you have to stop because it hurts too much then stop. The bottom line at this point John, is to get healed so you can resume your training for your goal race. I know that sounds hard but one thing we all have to do is keep our eye on the prize and if the training for that has to be stopped to heal faster then so be it. Trust me you would rather be healthy for your goal race rather then some 10k on the 4th as hard as that may sound. Do the right thing John and listen to your body and remember the bigger goal and what you are training for!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:46 am

Schuey wrote:

Thanks

I would wait until Monday and give it a go, if you feel like you can race then race! If you have to back off back off, if you have to stop because it hurts too much then stop. The bottom line at this point John, is to get healed so you can resume your training for your goal race.

+1
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down