365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year

+2
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
6 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2017 Another Tri-ing Year Empty 2017 Another Tri-ing Year

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Ok, finally a new blog.  Not much to say yet, but I thought I'd fill you all in with my race plans for the year - barring no injuries of course.  

April 17th - Boston Marathon
                  April 29th - RnR Nashville Half Marathon (my daughter lives in Nashville - this is a "B" race)
                  July 8th - IM 70.3 Muncie (IN)  (my sister and niece want to see me race and they live outside Indy now - this is a "B" race)
                  September 24th - IM 70.3 Augusta (GA)
                  November 5th - NYC Marathon

I'm also going to ride (with three other women) the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Towpath in mid-May.  This is a 5-day 337 mile trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington, DC.  We hope to see Kevin (and maybe Mike too) when we get to DC on May 24th.

Training for Boston has begun, and I'm trying to mix up the running while still swimming and doing some cycling.  The running and swimming has been easy but the cycling not so much as I really dislike the trainer, and the weather has been less than accommodating in the last few weeks.  It is nice today and I was hoping to ride, but I'm trying to nip a nasty cold in the bud.  I thought it was on its way out, but I woke up this morning feeling a bit miserable.  Taking a down day should help, I assume.  

For the last week, my training was as follows:

Mon 1/2 – Day off as I travelled home from the Dominican.   (I did run 4x in the DR – 4-5 miles depending, and I did go to the gym one morning)
Tues 1/3– 6.2 miles   I ran with some friends who were doing hills – so I did the hill repeats (16 x 30 sec) with them.  Overall pace: 9:22 – so easy; Also 1 hr of strength and core work with trainer
Wed 1/4– Swam 2800 yds and did a 35 min Recovery run at 9:40 pace
Thurs 1/5– 12 miles @ 9:14 overall pace.  Added 2 x 10 min at tempo-ish pace (8-8:10); 1 hr of strength and core with trainer
Fri 1/6– 6.2 miles easy, Swam 1800m doing various drills (indoor pool is m; outdoor is yd)
Sat 1/7– 1.5 hrs on the Bike on the Trainer (too icy for anything else)

Sun1/8 – 8 miles easy on hills

WTD:  32.4 miles running; 25 miles on the Bike, 4700 yds swimming

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

2017 Another Tri-ing Year Empty Re: 2017 Another Tri-ing Year

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:42 am

Woot! A new Michele blog! 

You've got an ambitious schedule for 2017. Here's looking forward to some great races!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm

You started off the New Year with an ambitious week!

I struggle to find the time and energy to train for a marathon let alone squeeze in enough swimming and biking to be ready for a triathlon of any length.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you schedule your swimming/biking/running to be ready for two marathons and two half ironmans.  Looks like you've got them well scheduled so that you can change your focus between running and triathlon as needed.

Have you found that the biking and swimming compliment the running and help prepare you for an "A" running race?  Can it effectively replace some of the easy running in your training?

Good luck...looking forward to following along.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Well that ambitious schedule came to a bit of a crash this week as I came down with a bit of a head-cold.  I tried to run/workout through it, but ultimately ended up taking an extra day off on Wednesday and dialing back the distance on Thursday and dropping my gym work.  That definitely paid off as I ran a very comfortable 12.5 miles (had 1:55 on my schedule) this morning and was even able to do one pick up of 2 miles from miles 9-11 getting my speed down to 8 min per mile on the trail.  I'm sure it helped that I ran on the flats this morning, but I do have a "race" (indoor tri) on Sunday.  Tomorrow I'm planning on an hour run over hills with the Atlanta Tri Club so I'll get those hills along with an abbreviated swim.

To answer your question, Nancy, I'm not sure if swim/bike workouts replace or simply complement my running right now.  Obviously, I've got Boston to think about so running is the priority. However, I can tell you that back in 2009, I swam a lot during my Boston training cycle since I had injured my hamstring after St. George.  I ran very little mileage (16 total miles in January and only 94 in February) but swam 2x per week and did weight and core work.  I actually ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon at the end of February in 4:14, ran another 15 miler and 19 miler in March and ran a 3:59 at Boston.  So can I say the swimming helped, sure it did.  My only thing now is to keep from over-training, and to me, the biking will go first as it requires good weather or riding on the trainer.  The trainer is worse than any treadmill ever invented. Period.

I'm looking forward to the Indoor Triathlon this Sunday (postponed from last Sunday due to our ice storm).  Kind of a funny set up as you swim for 10 min, then have a 10 min transition, Bike for 30 min and have a 5 min transition and then run (on the dreadmill unfortunately) for 20 min.  You get points for each leg based on how far you were able to go.  I expect the swimming and running to be pretty simple and the biking to be hard. First off, I have never been on a spin bike and 2nd, I'm not a great cyclist.  I'm hoping to improve at the cycling and will try to get to some indoor training sessions put on by the Atlanta Tri Club, but the place they use is a 30 min drive from here without traffic.  If you know anything at all about Atlanta, it is that the traffic here sucks. That is most definitely the one thing that I did not miss about this city.  In Cleveland the only times there is traffic is during a snow event, or when the Cavs and Indians are playing on the same night both at home (lol).  You score in the Indoor Tri with the points and then you are compared "Nationwide".  I hope since I aged up this week, that I do ok in my new AG.

For now........

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Maybe Mike?  I'd love to see you, Mom. Smile  First round is on me!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Maybe Mike?  I'd love to see you, Mom. Smile  First round is on me!
Just hope you are around - I think we might actually end up crashing at Kevin's.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 pm

The indoor tri is an interesting concept...sounds like a fun winter activity.

I'm with you on the bike trainer...it is definitely worse than the dreadmill.  I loaned mine to Gary for a couple weeks so he can decide if he wants to purchase one.  I don't have to feel guilty about not using it now.  I'm ready for some better weather so I can get back outside safely.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Completed my indoor tri and it was fun.  Finished 5th out of the Masters women (and actually 5th woman overall too - us old ladies kick butt) - but was literally last in the bike mileage - thank god I can swim and run.  Obviously lots of room for improvement on the bike which is exactly what I knew.  Of course, do I do anything about it?  Not really since its not that I don't have the endurance, it is just that I am pretty slow at it only biking 16 mph.  I also lost a bit of time on the bike as it had a little glitch at the beginning, but so did others.  It was still a fun time.  Know where I need to focus some.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Old ladies definitely kick butt.  Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Mark B wrote:Old ladies definitely kick butt.  Approval

+1
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 am

Luckily, the bike will be the easiest thing to bring up to speed given your overall fitness.  Just some more specificity needed.  "Sweet spot" training might work for you (riding at what would be the equivalent of HM-marathon effort for an hour).

I'll be in DC for the foreseeable future and will be in town the dates you've posted.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Luckily, the bike will be the easiest thing to bring up to speed given your overall fitness.  Just some more specificity needed.  "Sweet spot" training might work for you (riding at what would be the equivalent of HM-marathon effort for an hour).

I'll be in DC for the foreseeable future and will be in town the dates you've posted.

Mike...are you saying that Michele just needs to spend more time on the bike working the "biking" muscles at an appropriate pace?  Are there some form or other issues that need to be learned as well?  (I'm asking because I'm also looking to transition into more triathlons and biking is also my weakest area.)
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Aerodynamics matter more on the bike, of course, so comfort in your aerobars and the ability to ride there without dropping your head or losing power (as will happen if your hips aren't flexible enough for the position) is important.  But yes, in general, there's a different proportion of muscle use (and a different path of travel) while riding.  Takes me about a month to get back to what I'd call "decent" every spring after taking the winter off.  
If I really focused on the bike and split my time evenly between riding and running, I could probably bring my FTP (threshold power) from 225W to 275W in a season.  That's a huge increase, but most of that is because I used to ride at the higher end of that so it's just a matter of getting back into the groove.  Michele could probably see similar gains in her first full year of bike focus, but after that the grind starts... kind of like running  Laughing
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 pm

I think I'd rather say that I was 5th overall, if I didn't win my age group.  Knowing that'll never happen gives me the ignorance to type this.  However, I really did finish 49th overall in a marathon. (There were only 51 finishers.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:37 pm

I know, I know behind again as usual.  Spent the first half of the week in Boston as my Dad is in poor health and my overreacting Mom wanted me to come up.  As a result I lost a couple of days of running/biking/swimming due to the weather (snow and cold rain/sleet) and hours spent sitting in a rehab and then the hospital with my Mom watching my Dad.  When I did get back here to Atlanta, it was 70F and I was able to get in a nice ride.  During the week, I (and most others if we aren't taking an indoor class) ride on a flat road that is a 5 mile loop.  It is safer than trying to ride in Atlanta traffic even if it is about as flat as you can possibly get.  Since there isn't much flat terrain around here, it is a nice change and it allows me to work on cadence/power and other stuff on the bike while exposed to wind, heat, etc.  Sure I can do these things in the class (you put your bike on the trainer and are hooked up to a computer that measures power, etc.), but that is still indoors.  

I did have a good week last week even if I decided not to run a 15K race for fear of bad weather.  We were supposed to get nasty thunderstorms both Saturday and Sunday (there were bad tornadoes in south GA, John K and family are fine), but they were not to be during the actual Sunday morning race.  I didn't want to take the chance and since the mileage is more important than racing right now, I opted to run my 14 miles on Friday morning when it was just drizzling a bit.  Nice comfortable run with Joe for the first 7 keeping things at a 9:40 pace and then over the hills and picking up the pace for the last 7.  It was a successful run.  It was also a good idea as I only was able to get in 5 miles on Saturday before the thunder/lightning storm, and then I was able to get in 1150 yds in the pool before the next set of storms passed through here later in the day.  Of course, on Sunday morning is was cool(er) and just overcast with no weather at all.  I ran an easy recovery run and then my daughter and I went to the Falcons vs. Green Bay NFC Championship game.  It was cool to be a part of that and attend the last game in the GA Dome.  They built the Dome shortly after I moved here and to think it is already obsolete is amazing.  However, it has weathered (pun intended) a few nasty storms including tornadoes, 12" of snow, ice, and inland hurricanes - so I guess a lot of the repair work kind of justified a new venue.  The new "Mercedes" stadium looks pretty awesome and I'm betting the ticket prices will go through the roof literally and figuratively.

A quick recap of last week:

M - Run easy 5 miles; Bike 22 miles 
T - 8 miles w/ 4@ tempo pace (7:47,7:57,7:43,7:36); Core work
W - Indoor Bike Training Class; Swim 2100 yds  - mostly drills
Th - 5 miles w/ 3 @ MP; Core work
F - 14 miles w/negative split; Hills in the 2nd half (very pleased)
S - 5 easy miles cut short by thunderstorm; Swim 1150 yds also cut short by thunderstorm
S - 4.6 recovery miles in the rain

WTD:  Run:  41.6 miles
         Bike:  37 miles
         Swim: 3250 yds
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Looks like you managed to fit in a pretty decent amount of training in between family responsibilities and weather issues.

Say 'hi' to Joe for me.  Maybe I'll make it back to Boston to see him again some day...

I know how tough dealing with a Dad's poor health and a Mom's needs is...thinking of you.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:06 pm

Hope your dad is doing better now, Michele. Good work on still getting the runs and rides in with the family responsibilities and wild weather. Being at the Falcons game must have been a blast. I trust you're rooting for them in the Super Bowl against the Pats?  Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks, Mike for the biking tips - not sure I'll get better - but it was an interesting comment about hip flexibility as I bet that is some of my issue.  I'm not a lover of my aerobars, but I think it is because they are just slapped on a road bike and I don't feel comfortable with them yet.  I've only really been kind of "serious" on the bike since last May, and I still only get in a ride 1x or 2x per week.  I'm going to the indoor class again on Wednesday which should help with my FTP, cadence, etc.

Nancy - Joe says "Hi" back and I know he sure would love that.  He is trying to do the 50 states marathon thing, and honestly, I'm not sure if he has done Oregon yet.  I know he goes out there (Hanford site in Washington) as he still works for the DOE (or at least until Rick Perry figures out what it is) doing inspections of nuclear sites.  I'll have to ask about Oregon.  I still haven't done Oregon or Washington - marathon or half (which may be what I end up doing) either.

Doug - 5th Overall does sound better, but it just so happened that we were all old ladies - so it was really 5th Master and Overall.  I was the oldest.

So I finished up last week as follows:

M - No running travel to Boston
T - 3 miles on indoor track due to weather
W - Back to Atlanta, 22 miles Cycling at it was 70F
Th - 7 miles total - 10 x 400m w. group
F - 6 easy miles; 2100 yds Swimming
S - 2300 yds Swimming, 15 miles Cycling followed by 4 mile Brick Run
S - 16 miles - 10 flat and 6 hills

WTD:  Run:  36 miles
         Bike:  37 miles
         Swim: 4400 yds

Which indeed is not too bad considering some of the obligations that I had.  I have a bit more time right now as our work has come to an almost halt.  We hope that it is due to the uncertainty around the new administration as that affects discharge and maybe even drinking water regulations.  Make one new and revoke two right?  A lot of the work we had been bidding were for alternative energy plants (natural gas mostly), drinking water for small cities in Texas and pharmaceutical (USP quality).  Not knowing where things are going many corporations have put a stay on things.  I have never been overly political myself until this past November and now, and I keep trying to get out only to get sucked back in.  You can agree or disagree with me as this is my blog - but I am scared and I am not convinced that the media is just a liberal bias message, but I am convinced that the current orange administration in power wants us to believe that. I worry about my daughter's future, about Mike's future, about Alec's future - crap, I'm sorry for even going off on a tangent.  I don't know what to believe anymore, but I do believe that my rights as a woman and maybe even as an American are going to change.  Maybe not as radically as it seems, but change.  I was not the biggest fan of President Obama as I expected more and I must admit that I did not like Michelle Obama at all in the beginning because she reminded me (or maybe was) the same strong, angry Black woman that I encountered at Wellesley.  One who never believed that I could be discriminated against because I was white.  Well, that in't the case honey as I have never made quite as much money as a male counterpart even in the engineering world, I have been passed over for jobs without an explanation and it was given to a lesser qualified guy, and I was even laid off once and was given the reason that the guy they kept (who was a lesser performer) was in Arizona where they needed him more and he was the principle bread winner.    ERRRR.  

Ok, back to running.  Glad to see everyone is at it - and please tell me if I need to step away from the table.  Here is a picture from the end of my 16 miler this weekend.  The young girl in the middle is the daughter of the other woman and whose wedding I attended back in August.  She is training for her first marathon and I am going to run with her for 20 miles of it.  

2017 Another Tri-ing Year 3_stro10
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 am

I'd love to meet you or Joe at a race if you came to Oregon.  Keep me posted.

As far as your post...post away.  It's your blog and you can talk about whatever you want.  I think anyone who isn't at least a bit afraid at this point in time is uninformed or has their head in the sand.  That said, I was very concerned about where our country was headed before the election.  For the first time in my life I declined to cast a vote for President.  I just couldn't stomach voting for either candidate.  The fact that I knew my vote wouldn't affect the outcome here in Oregon made that decision a bit easier.  I wonder what the world will be like when my grandchildren are grown and raising children of their own.

Happy training...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks for thinking of Alec. He doesn't know what to make of the future -- he dreams of doing genetics research with the government, but he's afraid that may not be possible with the way things seem to be shaping up lately. We're telling him to take the long view and keep at it.

As far as your opinions go, post away. I'm curious about how people think. I think that sort of sharing is important now more than ever.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:49 pm

I hear ya, Mom.  My ability to refrain from coming to conclusions is wearing thin.  No need to worry about me, though; I'll probably end up in the mountains in a tiny house, anyway.  What a Face

I see that you did an FTP test this week - how'd that go?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:I hear ya, Mom.  My ability to refrain from coming to conclusions is wearing thin.  No need to worry about me, though; I'll probably end up in the mountains in a tiny house, anyway.  What a Face

That FTP test went as expected - so don't laugh in that my measurement was 133.  I'm not surprised, and yes, I did run the "hardish" workout the day before (5 x 1K at tempo pace) and I did run that morning (I didn't know we were being tested) but I'd honestly say that had little effect on the numbers.  I know where I need the most work - and this just proved it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:I hear ya, Mom.  My ability to refrain from coming to conclusions is wearing thin.  No need to worry about me, though; I'll probably end up in the mountains in a tiny house, anyway.  What a Face

That FTP test went as expected - so don't laugh in that my measurement was 133.  I'm not surprised, and yes, I did run the "hardish" workout the day before (5 x 1K at tempo pace) and I did run that morning (I didn't know we were being tested) but I'd honestly say that had little effect on the numbers.  I know where I need the most work - and this just proved it.

Your secret is safe with us Michele...we don't know what good FTP test numbers are anyway. Smile   I would bet that your runs had more of an effect than you realized.  It gives you a base number to work with anyway.   I'm sure that before you know it your numbers will be much closer to where you want them to be.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:13 pm

I see that it was indoors, too.  Has a HUGE impact.  And it being after a workout WILL make a difference.  As will protocol.  Usually I do 5min HARD, 10min rest, 20min FTP (last 5min should be making deals with the devil).  

That said, my highest ever measured FTP was 250W @ 160lb, or 3.45W/kg.  I was probably higher at a lower weight in Sac, but it wasn't measured.  Either way, 3.45W/kg was keeping me at/off the front of the pack for club rides and translated to ~23mph with training tires and riding in the drops.  

I'm going to guess yours puts you in the low 2's (W/kg), which would actually put you in the high Cat 5/low Cat 4 category, according to online charts.  Not bad at all.  But I see it easily approaching 2.75-3.00W/kg after a season of focused training, which will pay enormous dividends.  Steady state (~85% FTP building to 1hr+) and over/under work (95/105% FTP, 1min on/1min off, 2x 10min) will be your friend.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm

I have obviously been negligent with my blogging.  I love to read the exploits of you all, but I just assume no one is really interested.  Funny how that is.  I have been dealing with my Mom regarding my Dad, recovering from the Super Bowl collapse of the Falcons, and swimming, biking, and running.  I did attend a Swim Clinic the day before the Super Bowl where we were videoed and given tips, pointers, drills on what to do to work on our stroke.  I was really interested in working on my efficiency and I thought that I would be told to rotate more, and well, no, she told me that I swam flat and that was ok.  Instead, I really have to focus on my extension and catch.  I've been doing the drills and I see some improvement in my times per 100 yds.  I suspect that if I swam with a group, I would probably swim faster 100s, but for right now, I like where I am.  The Masters group is very competitive, which is fine, but I've got the whole Boston-running thing to really focus on and I have learned that I can't hammer workouts just for the sense of hammering workouts.  When the run workouts call for it, then I will respond, but I certainly don't need to hammer the swimming sessions and the biking sessions.  I have continued to take the indoor cycling class and unless we are doing an FTP test, the one hr class is usually followed by a 30 min Brick Run.  I did think as I got more mileage in both the saddle and on the road that these Brick Runs would feel harder, but for the most part, I seem to adjust to the running pace pretty quickly - within the first 1/4 mile.  Maybe it is because I ride at the same cadence as I run?  Maybe because I am already a fairly quad dominant runner or maybe because I have such a long running background.  Just this morning when I was running with 28 yr old Courtney, I realized that my first running race of any kind was in April, 1977 - yes, 1977! or 40 yrs ago when I first ran the 880 in a high school meet.  Crazy.  Of course, it was also crazy that Courtney was so excited about the surprise 60th B-day party that she was planning for her Dad.   How cute!

So for the last two weeks, my workouts have looked like the following:

Wk of Jan 30- Feb 5th
Mon - Day off
Tues - 7.5 miles -5 x 1K @ tempo pace; Core and strength work
Wed - 6.2 easy miles; 1 hr Bike FTP test
Thurs - 6.7 miles w/4 @MP
Fri - Easy 5.5 miles
Sat - 12 miles; 1 hr Swim Clinic
Sun - Easy 4.5 mile Recovery run

WTD:  Run 42.4 miles
         Bike 17 miles (indoor)
         Swim 1800 yds Clinic

Wk of Feb 6th - 12th
Mon - Run 6.8 easy, hilly miles; Swim 2100 yds - mostly drills
Tue - Run 8.6 miles - Hill Repeats 5 x 3 min up; 5 x 3 min down w/2 min in between; Core & weights
Wed - 1 hr Indoor Cycle Class (3 x 10 min intervals), 30 min (3.4 miles) Brick Run
Thurs - 8 miles w/ 6 @ MP; Core & weights
Fri - 4.7 easy miles
Sat - 16 hilly miles with last 4 @ MP 
Sun - 5 recovery miles; Swim 2500 yds

WTD:  Run: 44.5 miles
         Bike: 17 miles (indoors)
         Swim: 4600 yds

I'm combining a bit of the Hanson's Training with what I did with Coach Bob for CBus back in 2015.  I certainly do not expect the same kind of results as CBus, but I am still hoping to break that illustrious 3:50 at Boston.  I am hoping that the hills and warm temperatures help, and I also am hoping to see some effects of the cross training.  Back in 2009, I was swimming a fare amount and certainly wasn't putting in the running mileage that I am today (I ran 16 miles in Jan, 94 in Feb, and 140 in March that year vs. 161 in Jan and 101 in Feb so far this year), and I ran a very comfortable 3:59 at Boston.  I had one long run of 19 miles but nothing else longer than 16 (except for the Myrtle Beach Marathon which I did at training pace in mid-Feb).  I know that I was 8 yrs younger, but I'm still thinking I can beat those results and that the swimming and biking will help.  We will see.

Until then, Always Boston Strong.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next