365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mulligan...

+3
KBFitz
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mulligan... - Page 10 Empty Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:12 pm

I survived HTC!  It was awesome.  I ran way to fast!  The van experience was great...fun group of kids.  Details later...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Great job!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 pm

ounce wrote:Great job!

Thanks Doug!  Here's a brief report...

I was extremely nervous...more so about how the van experience would go than about my running.  But I was in and determined to make the best of it no matter what. 

Our first runner took off from Timberline Lodge at 7:15.  I was the second runner with a 5.64 mile downhill from Government Camp.  I got caught behind the crowd at the transition and Brandie had to wait for me to squeeze through.  I finished with a 7:56 pace...oops...I knew I was going to pay for that!

Gorgeous weather and we were all doing well.  We picked up our last runner at Sandy High School and headed to Olive Garden for lunch and then into Portland.  The injured runner that pulled out giving me a spot on the team offered to let us shower and relax at his place. 

Then it was back across the bridge to catch up with the van 2 runners.  Brandie was off and we quickly jumped in the van as she had a short 4 mile run.  Train!  HR going up...OK we're on our way.  Across the bridge and along the waterfront.  We knew Brandie was ahead of us.  Train!  HR going up even higher...OK we're on our way.  Shoes on, vest on, lights on.  Where's Brandie?  Vans lined up as far as we could see and still not close to the transition.  HR going up even higher.  There's the transition...we knew Brandie was ahead of us.  I jumped out and ran to the transition where Brandie was waiting.  If looks could kill!

6.04 miles...plus my run to transition...@ 9:26.  This run was tough.  It was still warm.  My HR was already high and I just couldn't get into a good rhythm.  Stop light...go...stop light...this is not helping my HR.  I finally got onto Hwy 30 and the breeze and cooler temps helped and I was able to settle into a more relaxed but slightly quicker pace.  With a faster final mile I was quite happy to finish with a pace under 9:30.  I would have been happy with anything under MP (10:00).  I promised Brandie that I'd get the 3rd transition right.

We picked up our last runner around midnight I think.  We headed to the transition that served pancakes, ham and eggs and enjoyed some real food before heading to the transition where we would try to catch a bit of sleep before taking over for van 2.  We threw our sleeping bags out on the grass, set our alarms and were snoozing by 1:45.  I couldn't believe that I actually fell asleep and slept well....more on that at the end.  I was up and packed and headed for the porta-potty when Gary ran by with coffee for all and the news that van 2 was earlier than predicted (no cell service) and Brandie was already off on her run of less than 4 miles.  We all jumped in the van and were off.  Shoes on...a couple sips of coffee and a few bites of a granola bar.  I'd be running in the dark so had to prep for that as well.  I jumped out at the transition and after a quick potty stop I ran to transition where I expected to find Brandie fuming...deep sigh of relief when I realized I had made it in time. 

5.65 hilly miles @ 9:26  Amazed that this run went so well.  In the rush I had lost my glasses...it was dark...and well...it was my third run.  Running in the dark was outside of my comfort zone even with the headlamp.  The road had a very narrow shoulder...and it had no shoulder at all in places.  The sun was coming up and it gradually got better and I was feeling pretty good all things considered.  Happy with my run and glad to be done!  The others could finish this!

Got a bit of food in me and was feeling pretty good.  We picked up our last runner and the mood in the van instantly became celebratory.  We stopped for refreshments on the way to the finish.  Once we arrived in Seaside we spent a few minutes in the hot tub before showering and enjoying the festivities on the beach.  Then it was the group run across the finish line and a group photo.  We all went out for a seafood meal before the long drive home.  Gary's family and Tina's family had a hotel at the finish and spent the night.

So...

• I ran better than I expected.  A lot better!
  • I wasn't as sore as I expected although I won't deny I was a bit sore.
  • The van experience was absolutely fantastic.  The kids treated me great.  (Brandie wasn't at all upset but we did all laughed about my poor transitions...hey I was there for the last one.)
  • Gary (aka Mama's boy) was the only guy in the van and the brunt of most of the humor.  We both enjoyed it.
  • I handled the lack of sleep better than expected.
  • Over 17 miles at an average pace under 9:00.  Can't complain about that!

I'm sure that Mark has heard that one of the runners from a team in Bend got drunk and tried to steal the porta-potty truck at the transition where we were all sleeping.  He ran over one runner and a few others had to jump out of his way.  We were told they brought in life flight as they couldn't get an ambulance through all the vans.  We were sleeping right there during the whole thing and didn't hear a thing.  Fortunately the runner that was injured only had minor injuries and was most upset about not getting to run her next leg.  Unfortunately that's what everyone...including my Mom...heard about.  Never mind all the runners who behaved themselves and all the money that was raised for charity.

I saw a Providence van while waiting for my first run and spoke to the runners.  They all worked in Dr. Beckerman's clinic!  He normally runs with them but had another commitment this year.  It would have been fun to run with him!  We all laughed when I told them he had been telling me that I should run for the experience not for the time but that I always had a better experience when I ran faster!  They laughed and told me they were going to keep an eye on me.

Marty has been laughing at me because I've been so excited.  This was so much more fun than I ever imagined.  Oddly enough I'm not sure that I want to do another relay.  I don't see how it could be any better than this one so maybe this should be the one that I remember...we'll see.

I'm so glad that Gary convinced me to do this.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 am

Recovery continues.  Sunday was a complete rest day.  I swam yesterday.  2100 yards.  It felt good.  I'm still a bit stiff and sore but overall feeling pretty good.  The MAC Dash is in two weeks and I haven't been on my bike for 3 weeks...not sure how this is going to go.  I know I'll do fine.  I just need to go in with appropriate goals.  This week is really messed up with meetings etc and our long time employee quit yesterday.  It's HOT and carrot harvest is starting.  Things could get interesting.  I need to get back on my bike and get in a few miles as I recover and taper for the Dash.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Carrot harvest has started.  The employee that quit went home and after thinking about it asked if he could come back.  It's still very hot and VERY SMOKEY!

Tues - Bike 12.1 miles @ 15.4 mph on the MAC Dash race route.  Ride went better than expected although the steep hill was a little tough.

Wed - Swim 2000 yds.  Nice workout!
       - Bike 11.5 to/from pool  Took it easy

Thur - Pilates
        - 6.5 mi w 6x800 (400 rest) Avg 4:22 (@8:44) HR 157/173  I'm completely baffled by the relative ease that I'm able to hit my goal paces.  I expected to really struggle after HTC and I found myself holding back this morning.  Granted I did take a few days off to recover but really only missed one scheduled training run.  This was not what I expected.  I'm not complaining!

Boy do I hope the smoke clears up...I need to get a good long run in on Saturday.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:34 pm

That sounds like a great HTC experience! Glad you got a chance to do it.

I did hear about the crazy runner incident. How weird was that? Glad his victim wasn't hurt too badly.

Not sure what your smoke condition is like, but we've had a respite for a few days now. That's apparently about to change, with hot weather and smoke returning. I  will be so glad to see the fall rains return. 

Good luck on carrot seed harvesting!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Mark B wrote:That sounds like a great HTC experience! Glad you got a chance to do it.

I did hear about the crazy runner incident. How weird was that? Glad his victim wasn't hurt too badly.

Not sure what your smoke condition is like, but we've had a respite for a few days now. That's apparently about to change, with hot weather and smoke returning. I  will be so glad to see the fall rains return. 

I am glad I was able to do HTC and did have a great experience.

We had a short respite from the smoke over the weekend but it's back and worse than before.

First field of carrot seed is in the bin.  20 acres down.  135 to go.  We have the go ahead to cut the next 30 acres but the boys will either have to put down some water to try and create a dew or wait a couple days for cooler weather.

Fri - Bike 11.5 to/from pool, Swim 1900 yards  Alternated fast 50's with longer 200's to prepare for the MAC Dash (500 yard swim)  Good workout.  Felt good.

Sat - 20 mi. @ 10:50 HR 154/172  I did get my long run in and the smoke wasn't terrible...clearest day we've had recently.  I started a bit fast so wasn't able to make this a negative split but I was only a few seconds slower the second half.  Good run but my legs were screaming at me for a few hours afterwards.

Sun - Much needed recovery day...and family from Albuquerque visiting.  We had fun and I enjoyed the slow day.

Mon - Swim 700 yds.  Quick warm up and then swam 500 which is the race distance on Saturday followed by a very short cool down.  Swam the 500 in 9:50.  I'm quite happy with anything at or under 10:00.

I planned a short bike/run workout after swimming but once the sun came up and I realized how smoky it was I decided not to.  I hope the smoke clears up enough to allow the race to take place on Saturday.  They've been cancelling a lot of events in Bend.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 pm

The smoke cleared a bit this morning so I rode my bike to Pilates and then rode home (11.5 mi total) and got in a 3 mile run @ 9:16.  I haven't done a bike/run brick since my triathlon in July so I wanted to get in at least one before the Dash on Saturday. 

The smoke came back in worse than ever this afternoon.  We have fires all around us so no matter which way the wind blows we get more smoke.  We can see Gary's house...a half mile away...barely.  Ash is falling from the sky.  They are cancelling activities...especially outdoor activities...left and right.  If things don't get better I can't see the MAC Dash happening on Saturday.  That would be a shame.  It's the 10th one and it's really a big deal in our little town.

My family lives in Sandy which is at the base of Mt. Hood not to far from Portland...and not to far from the Columbia River Gorge where a fire took off this weekend trapping over 100 hikers on a popular trail and one of my favorites (Eagle Creek).  It's not technically part of the PCT but most PCT hikers hike it instead as it is/was much nicer.  It also burned Oneonta Gorge...another fun hike...including the tunnel.  It burned right up to Multnomah Falls...last I heard the lodge was still standing.  Devastating.

My brother and one of my nephews have been helping evacuate horses and pets from the area that's being evacuated.  Mom is boarding a few of the horses on her farm but doesn't have room for many.  Most are going to the fairgrounds.  My other brother and one of his sons live on the Sandy River.  We heard the fire was headed their way but I don't think they are in any danger yet.

Oregon...and Washington are really taking a beating!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm

My family rescued a sow and her piglets from the fire in the Columbia River Gorge yesterday.  Not sure where they are keeping them but the video of them trying to corral all the piglets was hilarious.  The family homes on the Sandy River are starting to see more smoke...nothing compared to what we have here...but are still a safe distance from the fire.

No training today unless I opt to do something indoors.  The smoke is much worse today and I'm starting to feel the effects even when I'm indoors.  I missed swimming as I had a land use hearing this morning.  Guess this will have to be a day of taper for an event that may not happen unless the smoke clears by this weekend.

On the bright side...I took advantage of the time that was freed up because I couldn't train and had my blood drawn to update all my tests for Dr. B.  Also made our appointments for our travel physical required before the trip to Nepal.  We need to fill prescriptions and update our vaccinations.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Well life just got complicated.  My blood tests did not come back good at all.  Liver enzymes are at triple the upper limits of normal range.  Statins are the most likely cause.  I didn't tolerate the high dosage they started me on but had been doing well on the lower dose for the last two years.  I talked to Dr. B and he's not comfortable taking me off statins yet.  He realizes that I don't necessarily need them to lower my cholesterol levels but they do help keep the vulnerable plaque that is my nemesis under control.  So he recommended that I cut my 20mg dose in half and then retest in 4 weeks.  My primary care doctor retired and I'm still building a relationship with my new doctor but he's in agreement.  I think we're all hoping it was a fluke but I don't want to ignore it for to long.

Just in case Doug is interested in the cholesterol numbers:
Total 172
LDL    86
HDL    72
Tri.     69

Pretty happy with the HDL and triglyceride numbers!

Smokey again on Thursday.  I drove to Pilates.  By late afternoon I was convinced the MAC Dash wasn't going to happen and was frustrated to miss so much training so I jumped on the treadmill.  6.75 mi w/3x1 (800 rest)  Not the same on the treadmill but after a warmup at 12:00 I set the pace at 9:05 for the fast miles and 10:55 for the rest period.  Followed up with a nice cool down.  It was a tough workout and the sweat was pouring off me.  It felt good to get in a good workout though.  Did I mention I hate treadmill workouts?

So this morning we got an update on the MAC Dash.  It's on!  WHAT?  They are still watching the air quality but it's much better today and predicted to get better.  So...if it gets worse they'll cancel at the last minute.  If it's moderate they'll allow people with health issues to defer their registration till next year.  We're all hoping for a relatively clear morning with no air quality issues.

Short 550 yard swim this morning with a couple fast laps but mostly just a chance to workout some of the kinks inflicted by my treadmill workout.

Guess I better round up all my triathlon gear...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Boy, this has been a rough end of the summer, hasn't it? We had ashfall on Tuesday and serious smoke for much of last week. I bet you've had it far worse, though It's cleared out here, which probably means the smoke blew back your way. Sorry.

Seeing the fire in the Gorge was traumatic. I haven't hiked/run Eagle Creek or Oeneta Falls, but I have gone up past Multnomah Falls and up the side of Larch Mountain. It looks like the fire didn't make its way all the way to the top of the mountain, but it burned up the Multhomah Creek drainage that the trail follows. They said it was a "mosaic burn" with areas of stand-clearing burns and others with just burning of the understory, so it's anybody's guess what some of those areas look like.

I'm thankful that the fire on the Washington side (carried over by embers from the main fire early last Tuesday) didn't take off. It was perilously close to Beacon Rock State Park, where I've done a lot of running on Hamilton Mountain and Hardy Ridge. Those are still intact, thank goodness.

Sorry about the medication issues. I hope that all gets squared away soon.

Hope you made it through the MAC Dash intact! Looking forward to the report.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:That sounds like a great HTC experience! Glad you got a chance to do it.

I am glad I was able to do HTC and did have a great experience.

We had a short respite from the smoke over the weekend but it's back and worse than before.

First field of carrot seed is in the bin.  20 acres down.  135 to go.  We have the go ahead to cut the next 30 acres but the boys will either have to put down some water to try and create a dew or wait a couple days for cooler weather.

Fri - Bike 11.5 to/from pool, Swim 1900 yards  Alternated fast 50's with longer 200's to prepare for the MAC Dash (500 yard swim)  Good workout.  Felt good.

Sat - 20 mi. @ 10:50 HR 154/172  I did get my long run in and the smoke wasn't terrible...clearest day we've had recently.  I started a bit fast so wasn't able to make this a negative split but I was only a few seconds slower the second half.  Good run but my legs were screaming at me for a few hours afterwards.

Sun - Much needed recovery day...and family from Albuquerque visiting.  We had fun and I enjoyed the slow day.

Mon - Swim 700 yds.  Quick warm up and then swam 500 which is the race distance on Saturday followed by a very short cool down.  Swam the 500 in 9:50.  I'm quite happy with anything at or under 10:00.

I planned a short bike/run workout after swimming but once the sun came up and I realized how smoky it was I decided not to.  I hope the smoke clears up enough to allow the race to take place on Saturday.  They've been cancelling a lot of events in Bend.

Ultreya...
Yes, your stats are very nice, Nancy.  I think 'normal' for triglycerides is 150 and for keto it's anything under 100.  So, it's clear you don't appear to be eating many processed foods.  That's great for any way of eating!

As far as the smoke, we only get stuff like that from Saharan dust or burning fields in Mexico, but not to y'alls extreme.  Is a bad day with the smoke visible like a fog and just hangs around?  Do winds thin it out, aside from maybe bringing more in?

Keep up ultreyaing!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:47 am

The smoke has cleared...we can see and breath again!

Sorry for the delay updating.  We're in a mad rush to get things harvested before the weather turns and it's turning quickly according to the weather forecast.  Can't do much to rush the carrots along as we have to cut them when we're told but we have been making steady progress.  We have 62 of 155 acres in the bin.  We're cutting the field at home today and tomorrow (58 acres).  The last 30 acres is still maturing.  We also cut 3rd cutting grass hay and 4th cutting alfalfa on Monday and Tuesday.  I was in the swather till 10:00pm on Monday!

The pool is closed for two weeks for scheduled maintenance so I have a fairly flexible training schedule...no Masters swimming or Pilates to work around.  I just need to get my work done and squeeze in running when I can.

MAC Dash.  The smoke cleared and the 10th annual MAC Dash happened!  1:22:36  5th out of 26 females.

I went into this race with lots of training but very little Dash specific training.  I knew that a PR wasn't going to happen but that pesky competitive nature of mine wasn't convinced.  My swim didn't feel great and was a couple seconds slower than last year but not terrible.  (My granddaughter, Emma, was in my swim lane which was kind of fun.)  I was flustered during the first transition and lost a few more seconds.  I pushed hard on the bike...that damn competitiveness reared it's ugly head.  My bike time wasn't my fastest ever but it wasn't far off.  T2 was tough.  I just felt out of sorts.  I headed out for my run knowing that the first mile included a huge hill and I just needed to relax and not panic at that first split.  I got through that but just wasn't able to pick it up like I wanted to.  Not sure how much was physical...was I paying for that tough treadmill workout Thursday evening and/or pushing to hard on the bike leg...or was I beaten mentally?  I'll never know but my run was not impressive.  I got through it with 9:10 pace but needed to be under 9:00 to call it a good run.  I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed with my finish time.

I've been able to put this race in it's proper perspective.  I wasn't as prepared as I've been in the past.  I'd been concentrating on marathon training and Dash training had taken a back seat.  Then I squeezed in Hood to Coast.  I hadn't been on my bike nearly as much as I needed and was only able to squeeze in one bike/run brick since the tri in July.  And then the smoke descended on Central Oregon. 

I took a closer look at my past results.  My PR for this event is 1:20:27 in 2013.  I've done the race all 10 years and my time this year ranks 4th.  And I beat Gary by 6 seconds.  cheers  How can I complain when the 4 females who beat me are young and in their prime.  Coach Sara is 44 and an experienced triathlete...the other 3 were all in their 20's or 30's. 

So...the highlights of the race for me...

• Swimming with Emma
  • Being recognized as a 10 year participant...there are only 6 of us and the others have done at least one year or more as a member of a team.  I think I'm the only one who did all 10 years as an individual.
  • Realizing that I've accomplished the goal I had 10 years ago when this all started.  I am fit enough to enjoy my grandchildren.  Gary participated as an individual.  Emma swam on a team.  Abby, Owen, and Royce all completed the Mini Mac which is a hoot to watch.  They made me proud.

I'm going to end this long post with a funny story.  Owen (age 5) and Royce (age 3) participated in the Mini Mac for the first time.  The littlest kids only swim the width of the pool and are allowed to use flotation devices.  The boys were a bit scared so Kevin got in the pool with Owen and Emma was in the pool with Royce.  Natalie and I waited on the far side to help them out of the pool.  Owen burst into tears half way across the pool.  Natalie and I assumed he was scared because Kevin wasn't actually holding him...he was just there in case Owen needed help.  When he got to the edge Natalie asked him what was wrong.  He wailed "I didn't win."  He got a quick hug and was off on his bike and run and happy as a lark when he got his medal at the finish line.  We all laughed...I guess poor Owen inherited my competitive spirit and my ability to bounce back and put things in perspective.

And life goes on...

Oh...I'll update a bit on my meds/liver enzymes in the next post...this one is already to long.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Gratz!  You haven't been exactly sloughing off over the past couple of months, so you can't expect to have your best effort equate to a best time.

I'd suggest that you use this as objective evidence of doing a real live taper for the marathon, including zero to little swimming and biking during the taper.  Stir crazy you will be, but the results should justify the taper process and the rest the muscles will get.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 pm

ounce wrote:Gratz!  You haven't been exactly sloughing off over the past couple of months, so you can't expect to have your best effort equate to a best time.

I'd suggest that you use this as objective evidence of doing a real live taper for the marathon, including zero to little swimming and biking during the taper.  Stir crazy you will be, but the results should justify the taper process and the rest the muscles will get.

^-What he said.

Great job out there, Nancy! Hitting all your long term goals AND motivating another generation? It doesn't get any better than that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:52 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Gratz!  You haven't been exactly sloughing off over the past couple of months, so you can't expect to have your best effort equate to a best time.

^-What he said.

Great job out there, Nancy! Hitting all your long term goals AND motivating another generation? It doesn't get any better than that.

I know but there is this annoying fella that sits on my shoulder taunting me as I run...you know the drill.  "C'mon you can run faster than that...a little speed won't hurt you..."

This is hands down my favorite event and I am pleased with my results.

I ended up on the front page of the sports section of the Bend Bulletin and my photo was also in the race coverage in the Madras Pioneer.  I'm a bit embarrassed...

Wow what a week!

Mon - Payroll, bills, swath till 10:00pm

Tues - 9.5 w/6x1 (rest 400) Avg intervals @ 9:33 HR 158/165  Nice run!
          Swath.

Wed - 10 w/8 @ 10:04 HR 150/169  I don't normally do quality runs on back to back days but I knew I wouldn't have time after today.  Didn't push to hard but managed to keep the pace at C goal MP.  Tough run.
       - Rake grass hay

Thur - Rake alfalfa
          3 mi easy @ 11:20 HR 140/164
          Rake grass hay
          Bale grass hay till 8:00

Fri    - Rake alfalfa
        - Rake grass hay
        - Bale grass hay

Sat   -  Bale alfalfa
        - 5 mi easy @ 11:15 HR 138
        -  Bale grass hay

Sun  - Bale alfalfa
       -  They made me thrash carrot seed!  Way above my pay grade and totally out of my comfort zone.  We were watching the approaching storms.  The seed company allowed us to thrash with a slightly higher moisture level which made thrashing more difficult.  Kevin and I headed down the last two rows as it started spitting rain.  Marty had just stacked the last of the hay and moved the trucks under cover.  Natalie had prepared dinner for all of us so we got to spend a couple minutes with the boys before bedtime.  We made it!

Mon - 15 mi @ 10:57  HR 149/171  The long run that I wasn't able to fit in over the weekend.  Felt nice to be off the tractor and back in my running shoes...

I promised an update on my liver enzyme numbers.  I'll keep it brief.  Apparently triple the upper end of normal levels is considered "mildly elevated".  They can get much higher.  Also statins do sometimes cause elevated levels without causing actual liver damage.  I'm not as concerned but still plan on watching things closely.  Won't retest till the end of the month.

I do have confidence in Dr. B and my confidence level was boosted significantly when he went against the recommendations and allowed me to go off my beta blocker at 20 months when the recommendation is a minimum of 3 years.  I do feel like he's treating me like an individual not a statistic.

Fall weather has arrived.  One more carrot field to cut when the weather improves and we got the go ahead from the seed company.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Phew! What a busy week. Glad you got most of the crop in before the storms started sweeping through. It's wet, but it smells so much better!

It's good that you're monitoring those levels, but better to know that some of your medication can raise some levels without causing problem.

And oh yeah, nice running when you could squeeze it in.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

^-What he said.

I know but there is this annoying fella that sits on my shoulder taunting me as I run...you know the drill.  "C'mon you can run faster than that...a little speed won't hurt you..."

This is hands down my favorite event and I am pleased with my results.

I ended up on the front page of the sports section of the Bend Bulletin and my photo was also in the race coverage in the Madras Pioneer.  I'm a bit embarrassed...

-  They made me thrash carrot seed!  Way above my pay grade and totally out of my comfort zone.  We were watching the approaching storms.  The seed company allowed us to thrash with a slightly higher moisture level which made thrashing more difficult.  Kevin and I headed down the last two rows as it started spitting rain.  Marty had just stacked the last of the hay and moved the trucks under cover.  Natalie had prepared dinner for all of us so we got to spend a couple minutes with the boys before bedtime.  We made it!

I promised an update on my liver enzyme numbers.  I'll keep it brief.  Apparently triple the upper end of normal levels is considered "mildly elevated".  They can get much higher.  Also statins do sometimes cause elevated levels without causing actual liver damage.  I'm not as concerned but still plan on watching things closely.  Won't retest till the end of the month.

I do have confidence in Dr. B and my confidence level was boosted significantly when he went against the recommendations and allowed me to go off my beta blocker at 20 months when the recommendation is a minimum of 3 years.  I do feel like he's treating me like an individual not a statistic.

Fall weather has arrived.  One more carrot field to cut when the weather improves and we got the go ahead from the seed company.
That little guy on your shoulder needs to go reconcile the bank account, then do a 100% audit count on those seeds.  Nothing will calm your family more than to be seen resting in the days before the race.  No doubt that it will help you, too.

Embarrassed by a photo?  You mean this one?  http://www.bendbulletin.com/slideShows?layout=2&storyId=5587082&currSlide=1  (They wouldn't let me copy it.  Something about copyright and actually BUYING the photo. Rolling Eyes   Whatever.)

Nothing like 3 times normal on liver enzymes and it's not a BIG deal.  I'll file that away in my medical tidbits file.

Another person on these boards with functional doctors who actually THINK?  Shocked

Nice!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Yup, that's the photo Doug.  I didn't even try and figure out how to share it here.  I'm not embarrassed by the actual photo...just the publicity.  I'd just as soon hide on my dead end road and enjoy time with the grandkids.

So, I'm trying to get back on track with marathon training without getting carried away and failing to recover adequately.

Monday was the make up 15 mile long run from last weekend.

Tues - Core/strength
          Stretch & roll

Wed - 10 mi w/4x1.5 (800 rest)  Avg. interval 14:21 (@ 9:34).  Well under goal pace of 9:45.  HR 150/166  Even though I was sore from my core work this run felt good.  I'm aware of the need to not run these to fast but that fella sitting on my shoulder is still taunting me.  I will say that running in this fall weather was interesting.  I headed out with long sleeves and gloves as it was in the mid-40's, the wind was blowing, and it was spitting rain.  I was uncomfortably chilly for the first half hour and then the wind and rain abated and the run was pleasant.  Predicted high winds picked back up for the last 10-15 minutes but I was headed home by then. 
         Stretch and roll before bedtime.

Thur - Core/strength
          3 mi @ 10:52  HR 135/150  An easy run to loosen up those stiff muscles and enjoy the lovely weather.  Cool but not cold and no wind.  Felt really good!

So the pool is still closed but is scheduled to reopen next week.  I'll swim at least a couple times a week but will make running the priority until after my marathon.  I probably won't bike much...partially to concentrate on running and partially because they chip sealed the road to the pool and it's rough as a cob.  It's even tough to run on but I figure it's good for me.  I will try and get to Pilates as often as I can and also make doing my core/strength workout and stretching a priority.

I've been able to catch up on a lot of the office chores that I left undone when I was so busy on the farm.  I still have a few more things to catch up on and I'd like to spend a bit of time in the tractor working ground so that Marty has a bit more time to do some fun things with me.  We do have one more carrot field to harvest...probably this weekend and early next week...but the boys will take care of that.

Just over 6 weeks till my marathon. What a Face I have more miles under my belt than I've ever had before and even though I haven't been able to stick exactly to my marathon plan they've mostly been good miles.  I've already got two 20 milers in and have time for two more.  My paces are a bit slower than they were at this time last year but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.  I'm feeling good but also a bit apprehensive...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Nifty.  But that annoying fella is getting in your way with this apprehension.  While you're gone for the marathon, give the fella a lot of work to do, but not the payroll.  No need to cause apprehension because someone new is trying to get out a payroll.

Have you ever tried booting him off of you on a long run?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 pm

ounce wrote:Nifty.  But that annoying fella is getting in your way with this apprehension.  While you're gone for the marathon, give the fella a lot of work to do, but not the payroll.  No need to cause apprehension because someone new is trying to get out a payroll.

I hate to say this Doug but I think my competitive spirit is here to stay!  And I can't say that I'm disappointed.  Yes, at times I feel like I need to throttle it but it's also been a large part of my success so I can't complain to much.  Kind of like husbands...can't live with them but can't live without them...  I just need to figure out how to take advantage of the good traits and ignore the bad.  Laughing
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Finished up Thursday with stretching and rolling.  The stretching is definitely needed.  The rolling isn't really finding any hot spots.

Friday - 12 w/10 @ 9:46  HR 154/168  Nice run!  Struggled a bit in the middle but finished really well.  Well under goal MP (9:55-10:00) but the overall average doesn't really tell the whole story.

WU 10:43  HR 148
1      9:40       153
2     10:02      155
3      9:59       155
4      9:52       152
5      9:57       153
6      9:58       154
7      9:50       154
8      9:41       156
9      9:41       157
10    8:55       160
CD  11:42       148

At the end of mile 7 I was at a 9:54 average pace...just under goal MP.  Dropped off a couple seconds in miles 8 and 9 and then just let loose on the last mile.

I'll definitely be stretching and rolling tonight...and making sure tomorrow is a recovery day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:15 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Nifty.  But that annoying fella is getting in your way with this apprehension.  While you're gone for the marathon, give the fella a lot of work to do, but not the payroll.  No need to cause apprehension because someone new is trying to get out a payroll.

I hate to say this Doug but I think my competitive spirit is here to stay!  And I can't say that I'm disappointed.  Yes, at times I feel like I need to throttle it but it's also been a large part of my success so I can't complain to much.  Kind of like husbands...can't live with them but can't live without them...  I just need to figure out how to take advantage of the good traits and ignore the bad.  Laughing
But, but, but, doesn't the work in progress spirit get a say in it?  Or the mothering spirit says, "You'll poke your eye out!"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Six weeks out, eh? It's an okay time to let that little voice have its way once, maybe twice, a week. And you can also turn him loose at the tail end of a 3/1 long run, too. (You know: 3/4 of the run at your normal long run pace, the last 1/4 just a little slower than MP. But make sure you rest, too!

Careful on that fresh chip seal. It's good for catching the toes of unwary runners and laying them out. That'd sting.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

But, but, but, doesn't the work in progress spirit get a say in it?  Or the mothering spirit says, "You'll poke your eye out!"

Mark B wrote:Six weeks out, eh? It's an okay time to let that little voice have its way once, maybe twice, a week. And you can also turn him loose at the tail end of a 3/1 long run, too. (You know: 3/4 of the run at your normal long run pace, the last 1/4 just a little slower than MP. But make sure you rest, too!

Careful on that fresh chip seal. It's good for catching the toes of unwary runners and laying them out. That'd sting.

Doug...Fast Freddie was a bit easier to control yesterday...the other half of my brain kept saying "this is hard" and Fast Freddie listened...for a while.

Mark...I've never done an actual 3/1 long run where the entire last quarter was close to MP but I do try to always run a negative split.  I often make that last quarter a progression finishing as close to MP as I can.

Katie's Boot Camp instructor from Hillsboro was in Central Oregon this weekend and invited Katie and I to join her for a workout and coffee on Saturday morning.  Fun morning but a TOUGH workout.  Fast Freddie was adamant that I keep up with her...and I did.

Sun - 20 @ 11:02 HR 146/170  I woke up sore but committed to getting this 20 miler done.  I started out 10-15 seconds slower than my previous long runs and Fast Freddie cooperated.  I was able to speed up slightly each 5 mile loop but kept the pace moderate.  I wasn't feeling to bad so I did let loose the last few miles with the last mile at MP.

1st 5 @ 11:11
2nd 5 @ 11:08
3rd 5 @ 11:01
4th 5 @ 10:48

I was REALLY SORE after the 20 miler and I'm still sore this morning.  I blame it on boot camp...not the run.  I've been stretching and rolling every night.  The pool opens today and I think a swim will be good for my sore muscles...and it will be nice to catch back up with friends.  I'll keep the rest of the day easy and see how I'm feeling tomorrow.

Good week last week but I need to be careful.

Edited several hours later to update on my swim this morning.  I took it pretty easy and only ended up doing 1350 yards but boy did it make my aches and pains feel better!  And it was nice to catch up with the gang.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum