365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Niggles, aches and pains

+3
Julie
Kenny B.
Tom H
7 posters

Go down

Niggles, aches and pains Empty Niggles, aches and pains

Post  Tom H Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:23 pm

It is interesting to follow all the blogs that include the trials and tribulations of running and injuries. It seems that there is a huge spectrum of body types out there, those who can take heavy miles month after month and those who periodically come up lame in one way or another. "Injuries" seem to range from missteps to overtraining to major damage events coming from racing hard or even non-running related events.

So, some questions:

1) How do you define a 'niggle', and in general, what do you do about it?

2) What is an 'ache', and when does it become enough of an issue to see a doctor?

3) How do you modify your training when you have an 'ache'?

4) When an 'ache' becomes a pain, do you immediately see a doctor, or do you self-medicate (RICE, etc,) and modify your training?

5) What are your 'Go To' training activities when you cannot get out and run due to a niggle, ache or pain?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Niggles, aches and pains Empty Re: Niggles, aches and pains

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Niggles, aches, and pains...oh my!

Niggle is like the calm before the storm. Just hint of something going on makes you aware. Depends but typically, foam roll, stretch, Ice, go to chiro for ART, Graston.

2) What is an 'ache', and when does it become enough of an issue to see a doctor?

Ache is a pain that seems to throb or be persistent. I am at the chiro usually on a niggle that lasts more then 2-3 days!

Ache - not sure if at all to broad of a question.

4) When an 'ache' becomes a pain, do you immediately see a doctor, or do you self-medicate (RICE, etc,) and modify your training?

Pain IMO is beyond the niggle or ache and immediate attention if not already needs to happen. Rest for sure should be in the solution.

5) What are your 'Go To' training activities when you cannot get out and run due to a niggle, ache or pain?

Swimming would be my only choice. Everything else seems like a bore.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Something I can feel when I start out running or after a few miles but not overwhelming. It will go away after a rest day or two, some more stretching or maybe new shoes. My knee always hurts when my shoes need to be replaced.

I've never been to a doctor for running stuff, I have a friend who's a PT and I've asked her about really intense sharp pain that interfered with even walking.

more stretching, maybe ibuprofen and ice.

self medicate and cut back running.

Pilates or wt lifting inside.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 pm

1) How do you define a 'niggle', and in general, what do you do about
it?
My definition of niggle is when you feel a minor soreness (example in hamstrings after doing lunges the day before). Normally they go away after a day or two, but I will incorporate the stick, foam roller, and/or stretching to help it along.

2) What is an 'ache', and when does it become enough of an
issue to see a doctor?
My definition of an ache is a niggle that is a little more sore. I would not see a doctor over an ache.

3) How do you modify your training when
you have an 'ache'?
I take things a little bit easier and add in more stretching and foam roller type exercises.

4) When an 'ache' becomes a pain, do you
immediately see a doctor, or do you self-medicate (RICE, etc,) and
modify your training?
I normally self-medicate. The doctor is a last resort. As far as training, I may take an extra day or two off and continue to stretch, foam roll, and/or use the stick on the area.

5) What are your 'Go To' training
activities when you cannot get out and run due to a niggle, ache or
pain?
Swimming, biking, rowing
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 pm

1) How do you define a 'niggle', and in general, what do you do about it? To me a niggle is just something that doesn't feel right on a run. It could be a slight muscle ache or slight pain in my calf or achilles, but it wouldn't shut you down and it often subsides the further you go.

2) What is an 'ache', and when does it become enough of an issue to see a doctor? An "ache" is persistent in that it won't go away and might even bother me when I'm not running.

3) How do you modify your training when you have an 'ache'? This depends. Most of the time I work on the area a bit more with the stick or the foal roller or some target stretches or strengthening. sometimes, I'll shut it down and take a day or two off. I might get a massage or go see my ART practitioner if it last more than 4-5 days without any change or it gets worse.

4) When an 'ache' becomes a pain, do you immediately see a doctor, or do you self-medicate (RICE, etc,) and modify your training? Usually a doctor is my last resort. I would see my ART person first, but after some self-medication.

5) What are your 'Go To' training activities when you cannot get out and run due to a niggle, ache or pain? Swim, bike, or elliptical.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:43 pm

Something there, but not debilitating. "Oh, hey."

I associate aches with muscle soreness. I guess you could call the persistent throbbing/creakiness of a possible pull/strain an ache. I don't see doctors for anything running related.

Less of it. Stretch more often.

Even less of it. I don't normally let it get to this point, but the one time it did, it was a week off.

Niggles: run through them.
Aches: as long as they don't affect my stride, run through them.
More than that: probably bad to cross-train, so reading/eating/sleeping as my "go to"s.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 am

I'm going to combine the Matt Manning and Dave-O training plans here as a solution to all your problems Tom: Run more and drink beer! Laughing

In all seriousness, I tend to ignore most everything until it stops me from running normally/at tolerable pain levels. At that point, the doc and PT are usually the answer. Listen to tose people, they're sadists but they know what they're talking about (mostly).
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down