365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to my Natal State

+3
Julie
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 Empty Re: Back to my Natal State

Post  Julie Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm sheepish to post this because I highly respect the marathon distance but the weather was perfect this weekend and after Saturday's run of 10 miles I came home , showered and said to Brian too bad we weren't going to SD. I already paid to register . ....so next thing you know, we found a hotel and bought some groceries a nd packed up. The kids were awesome and slept most of the way . I ran around 4:42 I think . I haven't run really long since June but honestly it almost helped because I had no injuries . More to come . ..but I ran my 19th marathon and my boys finally got to see SD.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 pm

Pics. I'm really pretty happy with this. I feel like I ran my best, the weather was great although full sunny so I got a sunburn but some was on trail so there was some shade. The volunteers and police officers were great. A man maybe in his 70s gave me a high five and squeezed my hand after mile 14 and said I was in the zone and I had this..I really felt good after that. I just kept running...just kept running. We got up to SD and I realized I forgot my s-caps so I did drink powerade which I haven't done in a long time but it settled well. I don't know if anyone passed me after mile 9, I Just kept running and more and more people walked. I am not saying I'm fast, but I can say I didn't start out too fast and ran a pretty even-paced race although the last few miles were a little slower. 

I had posted earlier about being OK with no running goal, but I think it's actually gotten me down. Just trying to convince myself I don't care that much has made me just feel blah and apathetic. I'm a very driven person and I know there's a time and place for everything and maybe when I have little kids it's not the time to run ultras (although I've done that), I think I am kind of meant to run marathons or ultras and maybe that's what I do with most of my free time, so to speak, but I think it's what I enjoy doing and it helps the rest of my life.

I am giving myself a week before I sign up for anything else but I will admit there's a trail race in Omaha I'm eyeing....

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 2015-09-13%2007.06.19_zpsu9b4xkdk

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 2015-09-13%2008.56.21_zpstik3jwkd

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 2015-09-13%2010.08.12_zps9zg7ycwy

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 2015-09-13%2011.09.56_zpsehpajrvf
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:33 pm

Way to sneak up on a race and catch it off-guard! Nicely done, and smartly run.

There's a lot to be said for goals. It's nice to have something to look forward to. Like... Omaha!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Wow, congrats on the sneak-a-thon!  Well done - you're a natural!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:00 am

Thanks!
Looking into Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon in NW Georgia November 14th with a couple of friends. Sounds like a  fun girl trip if I can get them to commit. I booked the last hotel room (Actually 2 different hotels but the one sounds kind of scary so I'll probably cancel, you get what you pay for, right?) If so, Sioux City would have been a nice long run for it and it should be a fun weekend.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Chickamauga is a great run.  Years back they had a 10 miler along with the marathon that I ran several times.  You can stay in Chattanooga or Dalton either have better options (not sketchy) but might be 40 min in the morning.  Beautiful country running without any big hills.  The battlefield is kind of cool, and I always think I can see ghosts when up there.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:19 pm

I was born in Chattanooga, but left at 10 months of age.  We visited Chickamauga, when I was 7 and it was very cool.  I've been up there 3 times in the last decade.  American flies into Chattanooga.  They have a non-stop from DFW, otherwise I would imagine you'd be connecting in Atlanta on some other carriers.

There's a 1 car train that goes up from Chattanooga to Lookout Mountain http://www.ridetheincline.com/ that was so fun as a 7 year old.  Lookout Mountain is where a big Civil War battle was, as was Chickamauga.

I've thought of running Chickamauga some year.  Good luck with the training.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:15 pm

I love having a race out there on the schedule and that sounds like a good one...especially if you can do it with friends.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks all. I have to put Chickamauga on my "someday" list because my friends were being so relaxed about not wanting to plan everything and I didn't want to do it all myself or wait till the last minute so I found one in KS I can go with my family to (Wichita, the Prairie Fire Marathon). It's a week from Sunday. Then I'll be OK with being done with marathons for the year. We're making it a family vacation so I'm looking forward to that and don't feel quite as badly about making the kids ride in the car for over 4 hrs each way. I guess it worked out to just run marathons 4 weeks apart and not really have to train again...yikes. OK, next year I'll have to find a marathon I train for and get back into my usual mode.  Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:27 am

High of 86, 15-20mph winds Sunday. This could be interesting. Plus a fun little GI virus in the family.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Good luck and have fun!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks! Just got home. Had a fun time in Wichita. The race was really hot and sunny but I attempted to stay safe and hydrated. Finished my 20th marathon albeit slower than normal. I can update with pics later.

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 2015-10-10%2010.21.08_zps2kvrdbie

Section of Berlin Wall

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 2015-10-11%2011.44.55_zpsbr7ww76a

Almost to finish.

I thought it was funny at mile 16 I saw my family and Josiah kept asking "mommy all done running?" and "shower tonight?" and I said I wished I was almost done. At the finish he asked if I was all done running and I said yes and he said sweaty, shower.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:19 am

Nice job...marathon #20 in the bag and it sounds like a fun day with the family as well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks Nancy! The high that day was 90. It was absolutely sunny, no clouds and humid. It was so tough. When I saw my husband at mile 16 I said everybody my pace was walking and he said it was OK to walk but honestly my butt muscles and calves hurt either way so I ran as much as I could just to get it done. It was really tough and I didn't feel like I had completely recovered from Sioux Falls 4 weeks earlier anyway. I'm still sore and normally am not right now so I guess it took a lot out of me. I tried to be really careful about hydration and took a salt tablet every hr and also gatorade and anything else they'd offer me (skittles, fruit snacks). They had volunteers with golf carts the last couple of miles driving backwards on the course  checking on us and giving out Gatorade. I have to say they were organized and had plenty of aid stations even if they ran out of Gu by the time I got there and no toilet paper in some of the later porta potties. They started exactly on time and it was really flat. I think many areas had record highs that day so I hate to say it wasn't a good marathon just because it happened to fall on an extra hot day but I will probably seek out a little smaller marathons in the future.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:44 pm

The race provided free digital downloads for all participants and I just recevied mine. 

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 635804287236157589_zps4flhlkpt

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 635804287232563747_zpsjlw9nqso

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 635804287118185819_zps6ly0odgt

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 635804285610868132_zps5wi1uqhw

Found enough energy to kick it in at the end. 

Back to my Natal State - Page 2 635804287155686779_zpsfambtgf6

Happy to be done.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Look at that focus in the final stretch! Great, fierce photo! 

Congrats racking up Marathon #20!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:24 pm

You looked pretty happy during the race...especially considering the heat!  And you looked pretty determined at the end.  Nice job!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks Mark and Nancy! Sorry for not responding for months. Life has been very full, but in a good way.

We're enjoying spring here and getting the jogging stroller out quite a bit. Jocelyn is doing great on the bike so she can bike along with me while I push her brothers. No races for the time being.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:06 am

Great to hear you are doing well Julie.  Life does keep us busy at times especially when you make family a priority as you do.  Glad to hear you're able to fit in some running.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks Nancy! 

The Lincoln Marathon is this Sunday already. One of my dear friends is running the half as a come-back race after going through so much (surgery, 6 rounds of chemo) for ovarian cancer right until Thanksgiving when she finished her last chemo treatment. She is very competitive and used to place in the half but this year she still got back and is going to run it. It's rather amazing to all of us. 

Timing runs/walks with thunderstorms has proved interesting the last couple of weeks. I really want to get the boys a nap since they'll only nap in the stroller but the clouds keep getting darker. I did up the exercise this week with going out twice Sun-Tues for 6-8 miles total so far this week. If I get out today, depending on weather, it'll only be 3 miles because that's about what Jocelyn can handle.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Great job, Julie.  Y'all have had some real thunder bumpers, yesterday.  Those things were just exploding everywhere!  Looks like y'all will be getting 2-4" over the next 7 days.

So how does pushing two sleeping studs help your running effort...pushing weight for 6-8 miles?  And gratz on the marathon, young lady!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks! Yeah, crazy weather. Fortuately the tornado watch never went into a warning, at least for us.

Honestly I don't even feel their weight. I have a BOB and it's really nice and it doesn't seem to matter much if I push them or don't. 

20 marathons down, no idea what is next. Part of me wants to run a 50K next year, but the training takes so much time I don't know if I feel like that and I never did get really comfortable with harder trail runs (the 50K I ran locally has been discontinued unfortunately, but the race directors were too busy, which I understand). 

Well, we made it for our 3 miles, and I think tomorrow will be 3x2. I have to take advantage of these afternoon nap walks until I gets too hot.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks! Yeah, crazy weather. Fortuately the tornado watch never went into a warning, at least for us.

Honestly I don't even feel their weight. I have a BOB and it's really nice and it doesn't seem to matter much if I push them or don't. 

20 marathons down, no idea what is next. Part of me wants to run a 50K next year, but the training takes so much time I don't know if I feel like that and I never did get really comfortable with harder trail runs (the 50K I ran locally has been discontinued unfortunately, but the race directors were too busy, which I understand). 

Well, we made it for our 3 miles, and I think tomorrow will be 3x2. I have to take advantage of these afternoon nap walks until I gets too hot.

How about a timed event? They're usually on loop courses without a lot of elevation change. Training would be less a critical issue because you could go as you please for whatever time you picked (I've seen 6, 12 or 24 hours) and rack up as many miles as you can. It'd be something different, at least.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Mark B wrote:
Julie wrote:Thanks! Yeah, crazy weather. Fortuately the tornado watch never went into a warning, at least for us.

How about a timed event? They're usually on loop courses without a lot of elevation change. Training would be less a critical issue because you could go as you please for whatever time you picked (I've seen 6, 12 or 24 hours) and rack up as many miles as you can. It'd be something different, at least.

There is a 24 hr Event here in Cleveland and you and your family are always welcome (not sure where they would all fit, but we could work it out).

What about a fun, destination Half Marathon that might have kids races too? Or even some shorter trail runs or shorter races???  That 50K stuff is time consuming when you have a young family.  Heck I only ran for fun when my daughter was little - and I only have the one!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 pm

http://www.irunwithgoats.org/ has a bunch of options in Omaha (an hour away) and Kansas has  a lot. Maybe a 10 miler trail would be worth it. I think I should probably step back with little kids, especially since I work 2-3 Saturdays/month and if I'm off I don't really want to spend the whole day either running or tired because I just ran long.

All this will have to wait till next year because this year we hope to add a sweet baby girl to our family in September.  Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next