365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AT BOSTON

+5
Michele "1L" Keane
mountandog
Tim C
carleenp
Julie
9 posters

Go down

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AT BOSTON Empty OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AT BOSTON

Post  fostever Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:51 pm

This an official thread to congratulate an outstanding freaking achievement by one of 365's own Michael Young who placed 7th at Boston in the 55-59 age group. That's right!! A TOP TEN AG at Boston! It's been a great pleasure to follow your consistent improvement as a late bloomer in the marathon world, you've just inspired me to look for a personal course PR next year there. cheers HUGE congrats, Michael!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AT BOSTON Empty Re: OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AT BOSTON

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:59 pm

fostever wrote:This an official thread to congratulate an outstanding freaking achievement by one of 365's own Michael Young who placed 7th at Boston in the 55-59 age group. That's right!! A TOP TEN AG at Boston! It's been a great pleasure to follow your consistent improvement as a late bloomer in the marathon world, you've just inspired me to look for a personal course PR next year there. cheers  HUGE congrats, Michael!

Holy cow! That's fantastic! And seriously impressive!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:51 pm

That is an outstanding performance on a day with less than optimal conditions! Congrats, Michael!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Wow! Congratulations!!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Congrats, Michael!  Those Young genes are hard to beat.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:57 pm

That is awesome! Congrats!!!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Awesome performance, Michael! Really amazing.

So I'm thinking, "Who are the 6 dudes that beat you for crying out loud???" John Loftus, the 4th place finisher, is from here and he is fast....

Nice race.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Nice job! And great to meet you.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AT BOSTON Empty edited to add race report

Post  mountandog Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:43 am

Steve > thanks for the recognition. Unexpected and humbling to say the least. Thanks to the rest of you for responding.

This has been an interesting journey for me. In 2008 I went for my first "run around the block" never thinking it would lead to something like this. I was just trying to lose a few pounds after my dad's passing. I ran my first Turkey Trot that November and enjoyed it. I never knew this competitive world for adults was even out there. As time went on I realized I had some talent and just got sucked in I guess. This board has given me a lot of advice and encouragement over the years that often goes overlooked but not unappreciated. I look at my avatar on the left from my first Boston in 2010 and see a bib number of 12,000+ and this year I was 1818. Never in a million years..........So I sent a race report to my coach (yes I even have a coach Shocked, and thought I'd share it with you all. The English is a little rough as it was just a quick notation of things before I forgot. We don't seem to be sharing many race reports any more, so maybe this will get some things jumpstarted.

Overall a pretty well managed race. At the beginning the winds weren't so bad and they announced it as such so I decided to start with the 2:50 pace target as originally planned to take advantage of the relative calm and adjust my pace as the conditions changed. I was able to manage that pace for the first 10-11 miles. Sporadic rain started around mile 7 and was on and off during the rest of the race. Sometimes medium, but never a downpour. The winds would pick up and then disipate but were generally headwinds. I didn't think they were as bad as forecast, but looking at other runner's times, they were also slower, particularly in the second half. Even the elites seemed to have slower second halves. So maybe there was more there than I realized.

My stomach never felt great. Always just a bit queezy. I didn't manage my nutrition well. I definitely drank less than 30oz, but didn't feel dehydrated. Didn't want anything after the race was over. Only took in 300-325 calories. That seems light to me. Had another caffeine pill to take around mile 18 and forgot to take it. My stinger had some caffeine, but I only took one of them. I guess I just carried the other three around for a ride. Just have a hard time getting stuff down my gullet in a race. Very uncomfortable, but I know I needed more calories. Just couldn't do it.

> Took 400mg caffeine 2 hours before race
> Heed 200 cal in 24 oz of wather (carried bottle to about mile 22)
> took one stinger around 21
> took two partital cups of garorade at 23 and 25

Had a bit more of a problem maintaining my planned pace somewhere around mile 9, 10, 11. With the rain then coming on and off and some more wind I made a conscious decision to back off a touch. 5 sec or so over targets on the pace band. The reality was closer to 10 seconds slower.  Hit the half about 40 seconds over and knew at that point if I managed the second half and didn't do anything stupid then I had sub-3 in the bag. I also figured I couldn't make up the 40 seconds in the second half given the conditions and go sub-2:50. I could see my PR (2:53:52) slowly dripping away, but to be honest I was just hoping to stay 8-12 seconds above plan and so reasonably manage a sub 3, so I didn't try to kill myself. One thing I should have had was a pace band with my PR time. I wonder if I might have pushed a bit more had I realized how close I really was to it. My brain was going to mush and having a band would've been good. Maybe kept me a bit better focused. Not good planning on my part.

I hit the hills feeling reasonably well and vowed to just get up them, Maintain effort and don't blow up. I might have slowed a bit more than necessary but the weather was just tough to read and I wanted to play it conservatively. I got over heartbreak hill in reasonable shape, saw my kids and got a little adrenaline shot. I need to look a little closer at my mile splits for the last 10k but taking a quick glance at them, I'm a bit disappointed. I thought I was moving a bit better than I apparently was. 22-26 were 6:28, 6:47, 6:39, 6:51, 6:38. no where near the 6:25-6:30 I had targeted. Maybe the wind, rain and cold body were taking a bigger toll than I realized. Even the last 0.2 was only a 6:14 pace. Couldn't go much faster than that. My legs started to cramp a bit when I was "sprinting".

So overall, I think was an ok race. I would grade myself a "B", maybe a "B+". 5k splits were pretty consistent and the second half conditions were definitely worse than the first half. So weather, fatigue and hills certainly would explain the positive split of 3:03, but I'm not happy about that at all. Felt like I kinda gave up a bit mentally around mile 14 or 15. I was blaming the weather a bit for my slowing down and it gave me kind of a mental excuse. I hate that. Never should give in mentally even if you're slowing down because of conditions. I understand slowing down, I don't like the voluntary nature of the "surrender". One thing I've always tried to do which is unique to Boston is beat my bib #. I was concerned with an 1818 number that my streak was over, but I ended up 1474 OA. So in all 6 Boston's I've run I've beaten my bib number. That gives me some sense of my performance relative to others. 7/1539AG. That was a pretty good result.

The logistics after sucked. Took a long time to get the mylar blanket and had to shuffle more than a mile to pick up some dry gear in Boston Commons. Really poor setup that should be reexamined by the BAA. I (as were many others) immediately after running were absolutely frozen to the core. We were wet. It was breezy. We were shuffling instead of running so our body temps were dropping even more. I was shivering uncontrollably. It took me several minutes to type in my hotel to google maps as I was shaking so badly. Have never been so cold in my life. Stood in the shower on full heat for 20 minutes.

Post race I needed 2-3 hours to feel better. mostly stomach. Curled up in bed for a bit. Only wanted a Coke - no beer, no food at that point. Feet felt best they ever had after making a shoe liner change the day before the race. First marathon without any blisters. Only casualties are my quads and they're they're really not too bad, but the biggest sore spot is my right calf. That's gonna take a little longer to feel good.

My splits are as follows:
pace 6:40.

2:54:25

splits:

5k 20:31 20:31
10k 40:33 20:02
15k 1:00:44 20:11
20k 1:21:14 20:30
25k 1:41:43 20:29
30k 2:02:48 21:05
35k 2:24:17 21:29
40k 2:45:20 21:03

Actual Planned
1 6:56 6:44
2 6:30 6:35
3 6:24 6:30
4 6:25 6:24
5 6:29 6:30
6 6:26 6:27
7 6:27 6:24
8 6:29 6:29
9 6:31 6:23
10 6:36 6:29
11 6:39 6:34
12 6:29 6:17
13 6:37 6:21
14 6:31 6:22
15 6:44 6:27
16 6:25 6:13
17 6:51 6:40
18 6:59 6:28
19 6:36 6:25
20 6:59 6:37
21 7:15 6:48
22 6:43 6:24
23 6:48 6:26
24 6:39 6:25
25 6:52 6:27
26 6:38 6:30
0.2 6:14 6:19

HM Planned 1:24:59
HM Actual 1:25:41

Postscript: My coach thought it was an A- effort and that I was being too hard in my assessment. He thought in ideal conditions 2:50, 2:51 would have been doable.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:48 am

I would agree with your coach, Michael - smart guy.  Love the idea of beating your bib number which is something I did as well but several thousand - makes me feel way better!

Rest up and recover well and see you next year, I hope.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Great report, Michael, and a great race -- especially given the conditions. Well done!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 am

Congrats on your race, Michael! I can't imagine running that fast, perhaps I could have when I was in my twenties. You really have some ability, obviously.

Agree that the wind wasn't as bad as advertised, but I run out in open in Nebraska so I hardly felt it.

Glad you were able to warm up after the race. Connie said she saw a lot of people shivering. I overdressed and was glad I did. Of course, I didn't have a time goal like you did.

Nice to meet you on Saturday before. It great to know I met an elite runner in my age group! Congrats again!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks for the race report Michael.  Like you I miss them...we used to see lots here and/or at Hal's site.

Impressive run but even more impressive given the fact that you didn't start running till 2008.  I didn't know that.

Congrats on not only this race but your impressive career!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:03 pm

Yeah, I'm with your coach. Hard to see any weak splits at all. I'm impressed that you carried a 24 oz bottle 22 miles, not my cup of tea, prefer no encumbrances. Anyway congrats on your performance, it was phenomenal.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down