365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Great Rise to 50 (Redux)

+10
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
KBFitz
Nick Morris
ounce
Jim Lentz
Julie
14 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

A Great Rise to 50 (Redux) - Page 2 Empty Re: A Great Rise to 50 (Redux)

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:56 am

I wish my feet would decide if they like these shoes or not.  

55min today including 3x 8sec hill sprints (and walk breaks between each).  Very, very leisurely pace (was I even running?  Didn't feel like it).  But again, the shoes are playing games with me.  Not nearly as bad as some of my previous runs in them, but enough to make my 5th metatarsals a little sore after the fact.  I did, however, just get an e-mail that the Ghost 6s I ordered have arrived downstairs.

---

Aileen's tooth is killing her and kept her up all night.  I don't think I've mentioned it yet - it's been bothering her for close to 2 weeks, but only gotten bad recently.  After figuring out her insurance nonsense (which took a week of its own), she got a last-minute appointment for today at 1pm.  Kind of throws a wrench in my day's plans, but I'd much rather she get this sorted out.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:07 pm

I hope the Ghosts solve your issues.  Bad shoes make the whole experience of running sucky.  I got some Hokas I'm trying to love, but so far just a couple of bad dates.

Get that tooth taken care of.  My experience has been that putting off dental care never ends well.  Maybe you could take her to the dentist and run home Smile
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 am

Ghost 6s are nice.  I guess that new toebox design on the 7s really did mess it up.  I dunno.  

5.4ish miles today.  Garmin ate the data upon upload.  Thanks, Garmin.

---

Added a quick hour bike ride yesterday afternoon including "8 minutes of hell" around Haine's Point.  It was really 8:30, but who's counting?

---

Root canal.  The whole experience at the dentist yesterday made my mouth hurt (I'm pretty dentist-avoidant) and I'm not good at quelling empathy right now.  Kind of glad I won't be there today (have to work) - I'd be a nervous wreck.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:00 pm

On the upside:

1.  Aileen's dental work went well.  The dentist was accommodating and wrote out everything for her.  She's pain-free now.  
2.  My work is going well.  I've found my confidence again and don't feel like every new job is ulcer-inducing.  Weird dreams are a rarity as opposed to the norm.
3.  Overall, running is going very well.

On the downside:

1.  Apparently pancakes and my stomach are no longer friends.  Last time I had pancakes for a late-night snack, my taper GI woes started.  Last night, I had a small stack to make up a caloric deficit and man, I regret it today.
2.  I need some more rest.  Slept 10hr last night, feel pretty exhausted after an hour long easy run.  

---

~15mi in the last two days, split pretty evenly between 2 runs.  Legs feel great and upbeat, effort level is a little high with anything in the low 8's.  Mid 8's are fine.  Go figure.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:37 pm

Sorry about Aileen's root canal. Weird thing about them. They make you cringe until you actually need one. Then, they're a godsend. It makes the pain go away.

Also good news about the job, and the running.

Too bad about the flapjack issues. Maybe you can try pancakes made with a different type of grain? There's an large variety available, so maybe you can find a type that'll make your tummy happy.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:51 am

Mark - Yeah, I'm not 100% positive it's the pancakes, but it sure is a coincidence.  It could also be that those pancakes put dinner at a whopping 1800kcal (I told you I was at a deficit).

---

15.4mi today.  Wore the HR strap to get an idea of where I'm at.  It's a good reminder to be patient and not overdo it with my race so far out.  Still, I wish I was faster...  Oh well.

Met up with KBFitz (or Kevin, as he's known around these parts) around mile 15 of the MCM and took a stroll with him through the nation's capital.  More like a fartlek, but an entertaining and enjoyable jaunt nonetheless.  Chris and his buddy joined us around mile 20 with plans to take Kevin to the end - I dropped off at somewhere near 21.5 and jogged the mile home.  

2hr10min total for me.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Mike, you may have nailed it - maybe calorie overload and your system saying "gotta make room!". The advice to eat 6 smaller meals each day is great, but life gets in the way and when you find yourself with such a deficit, it is a challenge. Looks like your run was a fun one anyway. Doesn't it seem to go easier when there's someone else to share with as you run?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Tom - Yeah...  I'm pretty notorious for overloading my system.  Typically with junk food, too.  The worst part is, the healthier I eat (I've been eating pretty damn healthy lately), the worse any transgression becomes.

And yep, having some company made a workout (according to my HR, it was a workout!) feel like a bit of play.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 pm

5.8mi recovery slog today.  Wasn't a single smooth step.  I intentionally ran it very slowly (high 9's), and I think my body's forgotten how to run that pace.  I dunno.  Felt all out of whack.  Doing a long stretching session now (I couldn't even touch my toes with one hand after the run).
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Tom - Yeah...  I'm pretty notorious for overloading my system.  Typically with junk food, too.  The worst part is, the healthier I eat (I've been eating pretty damn healthy lately), the worse any transgression becomes.

And yep, having some company made a workout (according to my HR, it was a workout!) feel like a bit of play.

Your body may no longer wish to tolerate any transgressions because you're eating healthier.  So, you may want to start logging what you ate that caused the kickback.  You might be gluten intolerant or something else.  Tinker.

At the risk of full disclosure, when you first mentioned the problem with pancakes, I was going to suggest eating waffles to see if your stomach liked waffles better than pancakes. Wink

But since you posted the above, I thought you might be having inflammation issues.  Maybe run it past mom.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:13 am

Oz - Ha!  Well, whatever it is, it's probably genetic to some extent...  My mom (real one) has a notoriously weak stomach and my brother is allergic to just about everything (okay, that's an exaggeration).

---

Just shy of 8mi this morning.  Legs were pretty sleepy and my right hamstring was/is extremely tight.  Dunno what's up with that one.  After a couple slow warm-up miles, clicked off splits in the high 8's.  Probably going to head out for a spin after work to loosen up a bit.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:47 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Oz - Ha!  Well, whatever it is, it's probably genetic to some extent...  My mom (real one) has a notoriously weak stomach and my brother is allergic to just about everything (okay, that's an exaggeration).

---

Just shy of 8mi this morning.  Legs were pretty sleepy and my right hamstring was/is extremely tight.  Dunno what's up with that one.  After a couple slow warm-up miles, clicked off splits in the high 8's.  Probably going to head out for a spin after work to loosen up a bit.
You have to build your immunity to bad food by eating White Castle sliders on a regular basis Shocked
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Or Oreos... What a Face

5.8mi today with 5 short fartlek-style bursts.  One of them turned into a controlled sprint, touching a 4:30 pace.  As has been the case lately, run didn't feel too smooth or comfortable.  Kind of bleh.  Ave HR was 137 while running in the mid 8's, which indicates to me that more rest is in order...  I may have to scrap my 50k plans for next weekend.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Or Oreos... What a Face

5.8mi today with 5 short fartlek-style bursts.  One of them turned into a controlled sprint, touching a 4:30 pace.  As has been the case lately, run didn't feel too smooth or comfortable.  Kind of bleh.  Ave HR was 137 while running in the mid 8's, which indicates to me that more rest is in order...  I may have to scrap my 50k plans for next weekend.
Now you are making me hungry.

What is you normal HR at that pace?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Jim - Last week, I was hitting my Maff HR (153) at/~ an 8:15 pace, so 8:30 would have been 147-150.  Huge difference.

---

Off day today.  

I'm trying to evaluate what's up (why is this so familiar?) with me.  I'm thinking that as much as I don't tangibly feel "stress," the recent marathon + some residuals from this move + still not having a real social circle here is weighing on me.  I think the last part is pretty crucial, because when I think about what might help me feel less blah, it's typically the upcoming vacations home to see family.  

Physically, I don't feel too bad.  Kind of more tired than normal, and running hasn't been spectacular, but my runs this week were mostly after work or very early, so that plays into it.  I have that fatigue feeling on my chest that comes and goes without any real rhyme or reason.

Mentally, there's definite relief when I consider taking a few days/weeks to recover more.  I notice myself longing for CA a bit more.  It's pretty easy to see the negative side of things, even though things are objectively pretty good right now.  

Have been reading a bit of running literature lately, and the idea that I might not have taken enough of a mental (and physical) break after TCM seems to resonate with me.  At the same time, if this is just some mental slump, I don't want to cut back too much and lose fitness.  

As a remedy, I told Aileen that tonight is a fat night.  I've been pretty strict/good about my eating the last month, compared to normal...  So maybe I just need to relax a bit and enjoy until things start looking up again.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:16 am

If you're feeling run down or otherwise "off" with all the stress going on, you may want to try backing off on one of your higher-intensity sessions to see it it helps. Fast workouts stress the system a LOT more than easy stuff, so it's a reasonable experiment to throttle back there and leave the rest untouched.

You're such a speedy guy at this point that you may not even need to do a lot of higher-intensity work until the final sharpening period before your next race.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Mark - That'd be perfect if I had high intensity workouts.  Wink  That fartlek was the hardest thing I've done since TCM - save for pacing Kevin - and it was only "hard" in that my legs weren't smooth.

---

10.3mi today.  I alternated between recovery miles and Maff HR miles (HR = 140s/153, respectively) just for kicks.  Maff miles started in the low 8's and tapered off to mid 8's by the end (though the last one had a net elevation gain).  

I had a lot of acid reflux (blame the pizza/candy/booze last night) during the run, which seemed to coincide with that heavy chest feeling.  I've pinpointed it at the top of my sternum (where you'd get a tracheotomy), which leads me to believe it's less related to exertion/fatigue and more related to other factors.  

I swear, this running thing makes you think about your body in a whole new light.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 pm

I agree that stress can have a huge impact on your body and therefore on your running. If you can't reduce the stress right now just go with the flow and do what you can...or use the running as an outlet to reduce the stress. Don't let running add to the stress!

Easier said than done but look at the positive's around you and don't dwell on the negatives...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Nancy - You're right on.  For the time being, I think I need to let go of midweek mileage goals and just run what I feel like, maximizing my days off when I can to fill any gaps.

---

So I might be onto something with this reflux suspicion.  After my run yesterday, a little Pepto and I felt 100% in all ways.  

Today was interesting in that Aileen's temporary crown popped off while munching on (what else) donuts last night, so my run started was delayed until 11:30am.  Not a big deal, except that I really am starting to suspect coffee as a culprit for my recent stomach issues, which meant that breakfast (at 8am) was cut short and I didn't have much of an appetite before my run.  Fat-burning, anyone?

I went out with the hopes of maintaining my Maffetone HR (153) for 2hr (minus whatever it took to warm up and minus the last 5 min).  It looks like the late start actually had its advantages, as I was able to warm up in just one mile, despite the very strong headwinds and 50 degree temps. 

The next 13mi averaged about 8:15 pace with a couple lumps on the course, with my HR:pace decoupling only .3%.  Which probably doesn't mean anything to you unless you've read Joe Friel's books, but basically his measurement for an athlete is that if they can sustain their aerobic threshold HR (I'm substituting Maff HR here, as it's essentially the same thing) for 2hr with less than 5% decoupling, base is over and it's time to build.  Given that I'll be training for 50mi, there's no building going on yet, but it's at least a great indicator that my base is pretty solid.  

It seems like using my Maffetone HR for a goal 50mi HR makes sense, since that leaves me still within the realm of fat burning as opposed to zapping my muscle's glycogen.  Which I definitely noticed today, as I didn't even feel the beginnings of a bonk - just my legs started to get a little sore from the miles.  I wonder if any of you 50mi veterans have input.  

This 50k next weekend might just be a go.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:It seems like using my Maffetone HR for a goal 50mi HR makes sense, since that leaves me still within the realm of fat burning as opposed to zapping my muscle's glycogen.  Which I definitely noticed today, as I didn't even feel the beginnings of a bonk - just my legs started to get a little sore from the miles.  I wonder if any of you 50mi veterans have input.

Yes, yes, yes!!! It's a totally different sort of thing when you're going extra-long like this.

I used my Maffetone HR as my target for my 50-miler, using it to decide when to hike and when to run, though I allowed myself a few more BPM when I was power-hiking hills and passing my HR target. That sort of activity maximizes fat metabolism, and it allowed me to get the race done despite my ankle issues. I was in pain, but I wasn't seriously fatigued.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Mark - That's TWO confirmations of my thought process.  Wendy said she did the exact same until mile 43 when she allowed herself to "take off" and finish strong.  

To be honest, that seems VERY fast, although I'm sure once I hit the trail, I'll slow down.  But if I'm already plugging away in the low 8's now...  Granted, I did notice my HR rising as I hit any type of incline, which I tried to "counter" by taking a slower minute so the average was still in the right range.  

Oh, and I just signed up for the 50k.  I guess come Saturday, I'll really be an "ultramarathoner."  Plan is to go out for the first 15mi at a lower HR (145 or so) and then pick it up to ~150 if things feel okay.  No real time goals, will probably walk aid stations, just a long supported training run with some "friends."
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Mark - That's TWO confirmations of my thought process.  Wendy said she did the exact same until mile 43 when she allowed herself to "take off" and finish strong.  

To be honest, that seems VERY fast, although I'm sure once I hit the trail, I'll slow down.  But if I'm already plugging away in the low 8's now...  Granted, I did notice my HR rising as I hit any type of incline, which I tried to "counter" by taking a slower minute so the average was still in the right range.  

Oh, and I just signed up for the 50k.  I guess come Saturday, I'll really be an "ultramarathoner."  Plan is to go out for the first 15mi at a lower HR (145 or so) and then pick it up to ~150 if things feel okay.  No real time goals, will probably walk aid stations, just a long supported training run with some "friends."

Trail paces -- especially in the mountains -- are usually a lot slower, especially at a low HR, so the paces you're running on the roads now are probably a couple a minutes per mile faster than what you could expect out there. That's been my experience, anyway.

And contrast congrats on the sign-up! Just remember, it's NOT a road marathon. Stopping at aid stations is expected, though you don't want to spend too much time at the buffet table. Smile A good goal is to be in and out in a minute.

Last edited by Mark B on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Mark - it took me a minute to realize that was "congrats." Wink  My trail running experience is that dirt adds 30sec/mi to my times.  Dirt and hills adds 1min/mi.  Dirt and hills and technical bullshit adds more.

---

I could get used to this low HR thing.  Mainly because it's actually FASTER than I usually run.  Go figure, right?  I know that the instantaneous bio-feedback is giving me lots of confidence to continue at the pace I'm running, so I'm sure that helps, too.  

14.5mi in 2hr today.  I ran the Arlington Loop minus the part from Memorial Bridge to Reagan.  First 6mi were a gradual uphill followed by a rolling 4.5mi (net downhill, mostly in the last screaming 1.5mi), ending with a mostly flat 4mi.  Man, I felt STRONG today.  I tried to keep my HR closer to 150 today, and ended up averaging 147, only cresting 153 in the last .25mi (super steep kicker)...  But 4 splits were under 8min today.  I'll take it.

Legs feel pretty good, especially considering I've run 45+mi in 4 days.  

Off tomorrow, then a sharp taper into Saturday.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Very nice run!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks Jim.  This last weekend was very promising.  Felt like I could keep going for hours on all of my runs.

~30min today, the ~ because my watch died shortly after 1 mile.  I ended up running 3.4mi (measured after), so probably just about 30min.  For a midweek/between jobs run, pretty standard.  Not great, not bad.

Getting nervous about Saturday.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next