365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebuilding the Run

+6
Mark B
Penelope
Nick Morris
Julie
Jim Lentz
Mike MacLellan
10 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rebuilding the Run - Page 6 Empty Re: Rebuilding the Run

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Best thing to do in taper is low volume high intensity.  Mimic race conditions every 3-4 days and everything else is rest or recovery.  Might be tough with the butt twinge, but take it for what it's worth.

+1

Sorry about the slip. That's rotten luck. Trust your previous training, and the magic of taper.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Today's a rest day.  Woke up this morning and did a quick assessment of the injured area and was pleasantly surprised to find that after yesterday's long run it felt fine.  Happy way to start the day, for sure.  

Looking over the data for yesterday's run, I do find my HR was up 8-10 bpm from previous runs of a similar distance, some even at a more peppy pace.  I guess the last couple of weeks have had some effect, just hope that the next two weeks don't duplicate that.  I suppose there could also be some amount of increased HR occurring as a result of the injury itself.

Found a site that provides a two week forecast, so I can officially start obsessing now.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:52 pm

This is good news, Tom.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Tom H wrote:Found a site that provides a two week forecast, so I can officially start obsessing now.
I haven't started obsessing yet, but what does the forecast look like?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:25 am

39 degrees low with clear skies.  Subject to change without notice.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 am

Tom H wrote:39 degrees low with clear skies.  Subject to change without notice.
I can live with that.  A little chillier than I like but if the winds are low not too much of an issue.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Glad to hear that the slip didn't set you back and that the long run went well. The weather sounds good to me...I'm much rather run on the chilly side. Hope the winds cooperate for you.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Today was dipping the toes back in the water in terms of speed day.  PT plan called for 8 miles with 4 x 1 at faster paces of 8:30, 8:25, 8:20 and 8:15.  Ended up close to the targets with an 8:30, 8:22, 8:20 and an 8:11.  I looked at the HR data and am a little concerned as each of the speedier segments got me into the low 160's.  The good news is that there was not a lot of HR difference between the 8:30 pace and the 8:11 one.  Not sure what to make of this, but am choosing the optimistic approach that it is a highly positive sign that there's not a lot of variation.

Good news continues with the injury as there was no real issue during the run and afterwards all is good.  Bad news is that when I got back into the house I was met by Abby who was limping again.  I blocked off the window seat I thought was the main contributor, but I guess she just jumped off something else and landed wrong.   Again.  I looked at her as I was parking my butt on the icepack post run and said, "Yup, getting old sucks, but beats the alternative."
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Things are going well.  Too well.  Waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Today was 5 miles to be run comfortably.  I need a better definition I think as this was to be a bit of a recovery day from yesterday's effort.  Guess I've become a little comfortable with discomfort.  Ended up with an average pace of 8:18 (remember, MP is 8:12) and HR performance I'd rate as OK. Miles went like this: 8:27, 8:23, 8:18, 8:16, 8:07 with HR ending at 162.  The last mile was a bit more of an effort than I would have liked, but with the significant reduction in training over the last few weeks, I guess not a surprise.  I'm guessing I'll be having to find the right mantra for the latter miles of the race!

Early in the run I'm finding I'm staying more upright than I'd like, I think as a result of the injury and babying it on the runs over the past couple of weeks.  I could tell by the sound my shoes were making as they hit the asphalt; there was a little braking action going on with each step.  Not good for efficiency or for the healing process.  With a little conscious thought and applied effort was able to get on top of that in and found a significant increase in running efficiency.

And Michael, forecast continues to improve (for what an extended forecast is worth) now showing a low of 42 and cloudy.  Now that would be perfect!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Tom H wrote:Things are going well.  Too well.  Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Ah, taper. Very Happy

Looking great, Tom. Just don't screw it up before race day, and you'll be fine. Especially with that forecast.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Mark B wrote:
Ah, taper. Very Happy

Looking great, Tom. Just don't screw it up before race day, and you'll be fine. Especially with that forecast.
Mark, thank you for your support and vote of confidence Smile .  Unfortunately you know me too well and that I am very capable of overdoing it between now and then, especially with that cloud of missed training hanging over my head.  Taper2 .
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Tom H wrote:
And Michael, forecast continues to improve (for what an extended forecast is worth) now showing a low of 42 and cloudy.  Now that would be perfect!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  give me another 5-8 degrees.  What's the wind look like?  What is typical - head, tail, side?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Your wish is Accuweather's command.  They now show 47 as a low (thats +5 Very Happy ) with wind of 4 mph from the north, which would be a tail to crosswind.  But at 4 mph, no biggie anyway.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Looks like you're getting the weather you're hoping for. Are you riding the bus to the start? In 2009 we stayed in a rental house in the hills up above the start and the traffic was a nightmare getting to the start line...and then there were the lines to the porta potty.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:42 pm

nkrichards wrote:Looks like you're getting the weather you're hoping for.  Are you riding the bus to the start?  In 2009 we stayed in a rental house in the hills up above the start and the traffic was a nightmare getting to the start line...and then there were the lines to the porta potty.  
riding the bus.  I'm guessing that's the best.  You can stay on them til race time.  I hate those long line for the porta potties.  seriously, can't they have another 50 or 100???
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 am

mountandog wrote:

riding the bus.  I'm guessing that's the best.  You can stay on them til race time.  I hate those long line for the porta potties.  seriously, can't they have another 50 or 100???
My plan as well. Looks like you can stay on the bus until 15 minutes before start, but I'll likely get off a bit earlier as I want to make sure I hit the porta potty and have a chance to warm up that hamstring before race time.

Have had some increasing tightness in the left glutes and hip flexors over the past few days.  Have been stretching, rolling and using the trigger point ball to try to get them to relax, but not having much luck.  Decided to take a rest day from running and go to the pool to see if that would give them the stretch they needed, and early returns are good. 

Tomorrow is Turkey day and my daughter and I have scheduled a break in feast preparation for a run together. I'm looking forward to that a lot. She's running her first post-pregnancy HM the day before CIM, so we are both officially in taper. Should be fun!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Got to run 5 with Katie yesterday and I'm guessing she's going to PR at her HM next Saturday.  She's looking strong!

Today was 8 with the last 2 at MP.  Pushed the first 6 a bit to try and get the legs tired for the last 2 to see how the HR would perform and was OK with the results.  Avg pace was an 8:22 with an avg HR of 155.  Last 2 were at an 8:07 and avg HR of 159.  Oddly enough, the last two felt easier than miles 5 and 6.  I like that idea.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Sounds like things are coming together pretty well for you Tom. I think you'll really like the race. It's a great course and is very well organized. Good decision to ride the bus also.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:32 am

The tight calves made for a creaky start to today's run. They loosened up somewhat but never really got loose. Was running with Jenn who ran a fast 5k on Saturday. The plan called for 6 with last 2 @ MP, but she said her legs were a bit tired so no MP for her today. Well, we just ran without watching pace very closely and at 4.7 I checked and we were at an 8:07.  MP is 8:12.  I told her that her excuses needed a little work.  Her training has gone flawlessly and check races great. My challenge will be to keep up with her at CIM next Sunday.  

So I went to my Chiro/ART/Graston doc this afternoon, pointed at the calves and said, "Fix them!"   He chose Graston as the preferred approach and to make it even more unenjoyable, had me stand on the edge of the table and do verrrrrrry slow heel drops and raises while he used the medieval torture tools on my poor defenseless calves.  He did say  I have great muscular definition, perhaps in an effort to dull the pain.  At any rate things do feel better right now, so hoping he nailed it as he usually does.

I get back and get a call my daughter is in the ER with vomiting and abdominal pain.  All tests and scans don't provide an answer to what is going on, so could just be a virus. But, this means sitting for a long time in the ER waiting room, the whole time worrying about my daughter and alternatively selfishly thinking this is the last place I want to be right now. In a room full of very sick people a week away from race day.  I'm making frequent use of the hand sanitizing stations they have here.  And feeling guilty about being selfish.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:14 pm

lol.  my wife has a nasty cold.  staying as far a way as possible.  on the other hand, she might count that as a blessing!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Today was running in the rain.  A novel concept here in California.  A short 4 with 2.5 at MP. 

So I knew that the Doc had taped my calves after the Graston, but didn't know what an artist he was until my wife commented that it looked like I had an octopus attacking my legs:
Rebuilding the Run - Page 6 PJdPEN

Rebuilding the Run - Page 6 UJLQIf

Hmmm.  Maybe I'll run faster with racing stripes  Running
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Looks like some wicked tats, there, Tom! Sure you're not from Portland? Wink

Hope the tape helps.

And those are some pretty impressive calf muscles. No wonder you're so speedy now.

Stay healthy!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Mark B wrote:Looks like some wicked tats, there, Tom! Sure you're not from Portland? Wink

Hope the tape helps.

And those are some pretty impressive calf muscles. No wonder you're so speedy now.

Stay healthy!

+1 on all the above...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:03 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Looks like some wicked tats, there, Tom! Sure you're not from Portland? Wink

Hope the tape helps.

Stay healthy!

+1  on all the above...
++1  Thought I had pretty developed calves - those are impressive.  I wonder though if it is why we get some calf issues.  Hope your daughter is ok!  She has a race coming up too, right?  (Or is this another daughter?)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 am

Hah!  I'm not a tat guy, but if I was considering it, those do look pretty cool!  Michele, I've had this issue in the past when I ramped up training pretty fast.  I suspect that may be what happened here as after I had the strain, I had to pretty much take a 2 week layoff with 4 weeks to go, so I pushed pretty hard to get back on track when I could start pushing again.  Could be that combo just sent them into lockdown.

You are right - Katie's HM is Saturday.  She hasn't raced a HM since she had her first baby 3 years ago, so she's equal parts of excited and nervous.  Her training has gone great.  I did a 5 mile run with her on Thanksgiving and I think she is going to do great.  The bonus is that the race is 1 mile from my house, so we get to have the grandkids while she runs.

Today was 3 miles with 3 strides.  Getting down to the home stretch!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next